Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 661 to 680 of 2,057

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy Mario World has the 100 points minigame where you hit blockings moving in a pattern and match lines when done for 1ups and in stages the weird hit the blocks in the right random sequence minigame.

Mario 3 had enemy encounters, matching games, a slot reel, toad houses, treasure ships...more variety.

Mario World also lacks a between stage inventory system.

And in terms of powerups in Mario World you have Fire Flower and Cape Feather.

The Fire Flower is same as ever but useless compared to how game breaking the Cape is. And when there is only two powers, having one be OP is bad design.

And in terms of visual styles? Lets see.

World has caves with water/lava, forest, water stage, castle stage, ghost house, night stage, mountain stage, generic stage, switch palace.

3 has airships, caves, grasslands, tiny huge, deserts, mountains, water, pipe maze, sky, ice, fortresses.

Now World looks better and controls better but it three away some features that past games had that were good that the New games brought back.

But heres the thing, a new look i agree with. But riffing on Mario World? Well NSMBU already kinda did that, and to be honest in terms of mechanics thats probably next to the original one of the weakest to pull mechanics from, most of which have already been used in conjunction with the stuff from Mario 3.

What I think would be better is as you say new art, but new themes. Stuff we havent seen before.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dezzy

@BLP_Software

Good summary. I'd forgot about those minigames tbh. I remember them in Mario 3 a lot more than in World.
Don't particularly care about either though.
I just like World for the focus on challenging secrets and shortcuts to unlock.

There were a few other powerups though. Like the baloon thingy that makes mario float. And the various yoshi things. Sorry if I'm getting too technical.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

StuTwo

@Dezzy The problem with focusing on challenging secrets is... the internet!

When secret things are a big part of the appeal of your game then your game can be very easily ruined by a play through on YouTube. I wouldn't do that myself - and you might not either - but a high percentage of players would and do.

I know that guides have always been a thing but they were; paper, not free and not instantly available.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Dezzy

@StuTwo

Pretty easy to ignore though. I don't think I looked up the solution to any puzzles in Breath of the Wild.

StuTwo

@Dezzy But a fair percentage of the audience will have looked up pretty much everything.

Building secrets and surprises into a game is (obviously) a great thing but I'd argue it can't be the main crutch in the modern day.

StuTwo

Dezzy

@StuTwo
Everything in Zelda? Most of the puzzles weren't especially hard.

TuVictus

@Haru17 Haha that's how I felt when they revealed Hyrule Warriors 3DS.

Yayyyy the same game, but uglier and with no multiplayer? Sign me right the heck up!

TuVictus

StuTwo

@Dezzy I know...

...but I still think we'd both be surprised and disappointed if we knew just how many people were playing BoTW with an online guide on their phone next to them or referring to YouTubers to tell them where to go next once they've finished a shrine.

StuTwo

Ralizah

@Operative2-0 The same game, but portable. Which is why that's the only version of the game I've ever considered buying.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

TuVictus

@Ralizah Don't get me wrong, it's a good game to have on the go, but it just felt like a silly decision to make the ugly, weaker version after the much prettier/impressive one. According to me, at least. Others would say the portability makes it definitive in its own way and that's fine too.

TuVictus

Ralizah

@Operative2-0 Well, the game has other enhancements on 3DS that make it the definitive version in other ways, but as long as the dip in visuals/performance isn't too much, portability will be more important to me. I have my limits, though. HW isn't worth playing on the original 3DS, for example, due to the gimped level of performance. I also got games like Gal Gun and Senran Kagura: Estival Versus on PS4 versus Vita because the Vita versions performed horribly.

I understand some people don't care about portability that much, though. And if they don't, it makes sense to get the best performing version of the game.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

TuVictus

This comes out the day I leave for vacation to Orlando, it's going to be a very magical day come the 27th!

TuVictus

Haruki_NLI

I suppose we should discuss, what are your launch day plans for October 27th?

For me its wake up, obsess over the mail coming, play Mario Odyssey, pass out when I'm done 100%.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Canadian_Ronin

MsJubilee wrote:

Wouldn't be surprised if they made a new 2D Mario game for the 3DS. Just to have one last hurrah for the old handheld.

I think we'll see another 2D mario, and probably as the next Mario game (just like I'm sure we'll see a top-down Zelda game next, and like how we got a side-scrolling Metroid game before another 3D one) BUT it won't be on 3DS. It will be on Switch. Metroid was most likely the 3DS's swan-song and support for that system will start winding down. One of the benefits for Nintendo of making the Switch the way they did was that they could focus all their development resources on 1 platform.

Canadian_Ronin

Dezzy

BLP_Software wrote:

Read the 95%+ review average on metacritic and then wait til christmas to get a Switch.

TuVictus

BLP_Software wrote:

For me its wake up, obsess over the mail coming, play Mario Odyssey, pass out when I'm done 100%.

Wake up (knowing me hours before any Best Buy is open), anxiously and excitedly read reviews as well as probably spoil myself with hype by watching videos, rush over earlier than I need to the store, and hopefully play while on the 4 hour road trip to Orlando.

No doubt in my mind the game will be great. The question is just how great

TuVictus

MasterWario

@Dezzy @StuTwo There's also a weird thing that I just did with Mario + Rabbids and have definitely done in the past. You have the game, you're playing the game, and then when you take a break you feel a weird inclination to google things about the game despite you owning it. It stems from the thought that you don't want to beat the game in less than a week, and yet you are curious to something that will happen, or just want more game despite already playing it for 8 hours today.

With Odyssey I already know I'm going to not care and play the game all day if I have nothing to do. If it lasts a week, who cares, but I'm sure it'll last longer. I have one video reviewer that I'm confident will not spoil the game; so I'll watch that, but otherwise I'm (trying to stay) out of the internet loop.

EDIT: OH FLIP YOU GUYS GOT TO AN ENTIRE NEW PAGE

BLP_Software wrote:

For some reason I thought it was Wed., but it looks to be Fri. So I guess that means for me, pick it up whenever I can during the day, play it as soon as I get home until I inevitably get sucked in to some weekend thing. Should be a good break, anyway.

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

link3710

I'm going to go to work, totally forget about the game with the hecticness, get home, grab the mail, open up the package in confusion, then spend all weekend playing.

link3710

Scrummer

I'm going to be anxiously waiting for my brother to (probably) get it for his birthday two days later, and then just go off the grid until then to avoid spoilers.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic