Forums

Topic: Super Mario Odyssey

Posts 641 to 660 of 2,057

Dezzy

Nicolai wrote:

Untitled

I'm still bummed we never got a second one of these. Would seem like an obvious thing to do. Sold 10 million copies. Reuse engine and assets.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Scrummer

@Dezzy Maybe the last game released for the 3DS is Super Mario Land 2?

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Nicolai

Dezzy wrote:

"Nicolai" wrote:

Not quite

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Dezzy

@AlternateButtons

And that was great. But they've got a 65 million install base here that would buy the hell out of another 3DS game.

Dezzy

@AlternateButtons

So give it 6 months between them! Very few games are still active news after 6 months.

FragRed

@Dezzy Have they got a 65 million install base though? How many of those sales are people buying multiple consoles like when the New 3DS was announced or limited edition consoles? Also how many have now moved onto the Switch or about to make that move? I don't think the 3DS community is anywhere near as active as it once was.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

JaxonH

Ya, software sales on 3DS has been plummeting, while software sales on Switch keeps skyrocketing. I think it got so bad that indie developers are all but abandoning 3DS development. I think Metroid was the true last hurrah... I think most people have settled it in their mind for that to be the last 3DS game they buy. Even I was hesitant about returning to the 3DS for that game.

There's still probably enough people for a Mario game to sell to though. It might not do nearly as good as in the past but...

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

It would be kind of awkward for them to make a handheld tier 3D Mario now. I mean what would that trailer even look like? "You've played Odyssey, now here's the #$*% one!"

I would like to see Nintendo experiment with the structure of a 2D Mario game. Maybe they could even play with switching between 2D and 3D like they did in the Paper Mairo series before Sticker Star. Have there be towns, or something.

Basically just make Paper Mario again. It's been so long since Nintendo have made a linear game with puzzles. But I'd be interested to see any kind of Nier, perspective shifting Mario game. Hopefully they either use 2D drawn art or the same engine as Odyssey this time instead of the awful NSMB 2.5D out-of-style style.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

MsJubilee

Wouldn't be surprised if they made a new 2D Mario game for the 3DS. Just to have one last hurrah for the old handheld.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Haruki_NLI

@Haru17 Super Mario Odyssey has 2d sprite based sections...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Maxz

@BLP_Software Yeah, I was thinking that Odyssey already was a game that involved "switching between 2D and 3D", and definitely one with Odyssey's game engine. Even the Galaxy games had their share of 2D platforming sections.

Admittedly, the 2D sections in Odyssey appear to be more like minor interludes than full-blown levels, so there's a lot of room for altering the balance in favour of 2D. But 2D sections in 3D Mario games are certainly not a new concept.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Samus7Killer

is this game gonna have stamp "achievements" like SM3DW?
Untitled

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

-Green-

They have stickers and souvenirs for the Hat Ship. Perhaps that will function similarly.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

shadow-wolf

@Nicolai @MasterWario Hopefully the bundle moons/special events thing occurs. Otherwise the lack of distinction between moons would be a notable negative for the game. Can you imagine if, instead of shrine orbs, you got a Korok seed each time you completed a shrine? It wouldn't feel rewarding to complete a shrine when you could get the same reward in much less time and with less work.

shadow-wolf

MasterWario

The game has souvenirs, but they're purchased with the purple currency, in which there are 100 in each kingdom. I think that's all there is to it.

@shadow-wolf Well I can confirm the bundle moons 100%, but how they handle them is completely up in the air.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Haru17

@BLP_Software Exactly! So how would a 2D Mario game carve out its own niche beyond NSMB, let alone another 3D Land game?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

MasterWario

@Dev I'm pretty glad about that. I find snow worlds are usually the most boring in every Mario game. The harsh weather relating to Antarctica is probably what they were going for. While the game is style stylized, I notice that they're trying to add a feel of "truth" to the environments, relating to real life locations. Obviously the luncheon kingdom can't really be that way, but having surreal landscapes is always exciting too.

In that regard, the Sand Kingdom is probably the most disappointing because it's all compact and canyon-y, whereas when I think of a desert I imagine a vast wasteland of rolling dunes...but perhaps that wouldn't be fun enough. Who knows, there's still so much to see. Shiveria seems to fit the "wasteland" bill a bit, anyways.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Dezzy

JaxonH wrote:

Ya, software sales on 3DS has been plummeting, while software sales on Switch keeps skyrocketing. I think it got so bad that indie developers are all but abandoning 3DS development. I think Metroid was the true last hurrah... I think most people have settled it in their mind for that to be the last 3DS game they buy. Even I was hesitant about returning to the 3DS for that game.

There weren't that many indies on the 3DS anyway.
There are plenty more games still to come for the system though. Metroid will be far from my last game. I'm excited for Radiant Historia, Alliance Alive, Snack World, Superstar Saga, DQ11

Haru17 wrote:

@BLP_Software Exactly! So how would a 2D Mario game carve out its own niche beyond NSMB, let alone another 3D Land game?

They'd get people's attention if they just came up with a new art style for a start. I'd like a hand drawn one.
Then in terms of the gameplay, they should go back and look at Super Mario World, with its focus on cool secrets and hidden paths everywhere.

Edited on by Dezzy

Haruki_NLI

@Dezzy For focusing on Mario World should they also focus on lack of minigames, powerups that are few in number and either useless or hilariously broken, and lackluster level variety aesthetically?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Dezzy

@BLP_Software

1- no idea what minigames any 2D platformers have in them.
2- I'm fine with that. And I like that the cape is hard to use compared to other power ups.
3- it has the same 6 or so different visual styles as every 2D mario game has.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic