Forums

Topic: Switch Controller Discussion

Posts 261 to 280 of 594

JaxonH

You guys better grab a Pro Controller from BestBuy now before they sell out.

By my estimation you've got about 5 minutes left

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-pro-wireless-controller-...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

GooRoo

Got mine in! Im officially done with Switch pre-orders for now. Got the console (gray), the pro controller, 1,2 Switch, and the Zelda Special Edition (missed Master). Also have Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart pre-ordered.

I saw Gamestop sold out in minutes:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-pro-controll...

Glad I got mine from BB anyway. Love their rewards system.

JaxonH wrote:

You guys better grab a Pro Controller from BestBuy now before they sell out.

By my estimation you've got about 5 minutes left

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-pro-wireless-controller-...

Nintendo Network ID: kiskiboy97

Moviefan2k4

I'm getting the Pro Controller when I buy my system, mainly because of "Ultra Street Fighter II" coming later this year. I'm not a diehard fan of portable gaming, so my Switch will remain docked to my HDTV 90% of the time.

God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

Bezbot

On the reddit it was confirmed fake.... looked cool though

Bezbot

Switch Friend Code: SW-4750-8467-7698 | 3DS Friend Code: 0147-3539-2436 | Nintendo Network ID: nobboysbro

Rabbott

Preordered mine! I'm excited, though slightly cautious about the controller (specifically the joy cons). I hope it doesn't feel too small or awkward, considering the joystick is in the center of the controller.

Rabbott

JaxonH

Pro controller back in stock at GameStop, NON bundled version

http://m.gamestop.com/product/nes/accessories/nintendo-switch...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Sargon

Has anyone who had hands-on time with the joy con indicated whether the directional buttons could feasibly replace a proper D-pad for Virtual Console games (when the joy cons are attached to the console)?

We have the Pro Controller option for Virtual Console while docked, but I'm not sure what the prognosis is for Virtual Console "on the go".

Sargon

AlliMeadow

@Sargon from what I've heard most people who have played the Switch say no. I did see a video of a guy who really enjoyed it, and thought it worked because the "d-pad" buttons are so close together that it kinda felt like a d-pad, but I'd think the stick would actually be better for 2-D platformers.

AlliMeadow

Nintendo Network ID: Alli-V-Meadow

espresso

Is any more information regarding the use of old controllers known? I do recall reading that a patch that might later be released could make it possible.. Or was I dreaming?

espresso

SuperJoon

@espresso I think you were dreaming. lol

They're releasing a new pro controller so I doubt you will be able to use the Wii U version.

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

espresso

Hmm.. "not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems", is the official word from Nintendo.. Heres to hoping

espresso

skywake

SuperJoon wrote:

They're releasing a new pro controller so I doubt you will be able to use the Wii U version.

They're releasing a new Pro Controller because the Wii U version lacks some of the features. Specifically HD Rumble, NFC and Motion Controls. But it is technically still a Bluetooth controller in the same way that every Nintendo controller has been since the Wii.

So I don't see much reason why it wouldn't support legacy controllers. At least in some games and/or VC releases. Of course a game that uses some of the newer features like Splatoon 2 or Zelda BotW? That'll never happen. But WiiMotes and Wii U Pro Controllers in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Why wouldn't they support it? There's no technical reason why they wouldn't be able to.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

espresso

skywake wrote:

SuperJoon wrote:

They're releasing a new Pro Controller because the Wii U version lacks some of the features. Specifically HD Rumble, NFC and Motion Controls. But it is technically still a Bluetooth controller in the same way that every Nintendo controller has been since the Wii.

So I don't see much reason why it wouldn't support legacy controllers. At least in some games and/or VC releases. Of course a game that uses some of the newer features like Splatoon 2 or Zelda BotW? That'll never happen. But WiiMotes and Wii U Pro Controllers in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Why wouldn't they support it? There's no technical reason why they wouldn't be able to.

Then there's the biggest reason of all... Cash :/

espresso

Sisilly_G

espresso wrote:

Is any more information regarding the use of old controllers known? I do recall reading that a patch that might later be released could make it possible.. Or was I dreaming?

I would love it if that were the case as I'm swimming in Wii and Wii U controllers, but alas, that is not the case. All new controllers for the Switch. The new Joy-Cons and Switch pro controller have new functionality that simply isn't possible with the old controllers.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

skywake

espresso wrote:

Then there's the biggest reason of all... Cash :/

To be fair Nintendo did support WiiMotes on the Wii U. They did choose to use SD cards for both the 3DS and Switch. They have supported HDD expansion on the Wii U. Despite not including an Ethernet jack they have generally supported generic USB LAN adapters on Wii, Wii U and now likely Switch. They're even using USB Type C for the Switch both on the unit itself and, from what I can tell, the Pro Controller also. They've done that sort of thing consistently when their competition hasn't.

I don't at all expect widespread support of for it to be there on day 1. But I think it's a bit too early to say that it's not going to happen at all and the reason for it is profit margins. If we get Wii U Pro Controller or WiiMote support in some games? I'm not going to be surprised at all. Especially if the games that get support are VC releases, Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Luna_110

I doubt they'll be compatible, mainly due to Nintendo trying to bury the Wii U as quick as they can and everyone forgetting about it. Plus, if Sony's PS3 controller isn't compatible with PS4, same thing with the Xbox 360's controller and the Xbox One, why are we asking Nintendo to be the special one of the bunch?

New gen, new controller. Don't get your hopes up.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

FGPackers

There's another point to consider to me: Nintendo wants to delete all that is Wii (U) related. That term is never going to be called upon when talking about Switch, it's another chapter in company's life, and quite frankly i'm happy about it. They need to do so to make a "better" push for the Switch

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

skywake

@Luna_110
I'm not asking for Nintendo to be the special one of the bunch. I'm saying that Nintendo have a history of being the special one of the bunch. They're the company that made the Wii compatible with GC controllers out of the box. They're the guys that sold Wii controller kits for the Wii U. They put out a GC controller adaptor specifically for Smash Bros. They recently released the NES Mini with an NES CC. This is what they do.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if with zero fanfare one day the Wii U Pro Controller and WiiMote just work. In some games. Because there's no hardware reason why they can't do it, it's all in the software.

Luna_110

@skywake
I do think there are hardware reasons - the Joycons replace the Wiimotes perfectly and have far more tech, like the IR, acelerometer, gyro and the HD rumble, same with the Pro controller. They would have to start picking which games are compatible or not, and issuing warnings in the game to not deal with backlash - for example, if you wanted to use the Wii U's pro controller on the Switch you would have to play with gyro deactivated all the time.

And let's keep in mind the compatibility in controllers was in the GC-Wii-Wii U era - we didn't have retrocompatibility going from Nes to Snes, from Snes to N64 and N64 to GC. It's a fifty-fifty split on their consoles.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Sorry, this topic has been locked.