Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 501 to 520 of 705

Ralizah

DF FINALLY did a video on XI S.

The average resolution in portable mode is 540p, which, it seems to me, is the most that can be expected of these demanding PS4 ports. Docked, it seems to be able to go as high at times at 810p, but probably averages around 720p. Not bad considering 900p was the target resolution on the PS4.

They're clearly impressed with this port, and I agree. They did EVERYTHING possible to get this game running well on Switch. Re-encoded video files to save on space. Simplified environmental geometry. Shadows, texture quality, etc. have been dialed back. Drastically altered lighting. Yet the end result is a game that looks good in handheld mode and pretty awesome on the TV.

Performance seems nearly identical to the PS4 version as well, and is practically locked at 30fps.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Quarth

@Ralizah The game runs like a dream, IMO. Haven't noticed any framedrops. And the graphics looks good, especially docked. Sure, if you get up close, you can see some not so sharp textures, there are frequent pop-ups and in handheld mode it can be a bit blurry, but overall it is a feast for the eyes, which has a lot to do with the game's strong art design.

Take Mordegon's Fortress of Fear for example, with it's use of shadows and lightning, creating a truly memorable and scary place. How the surrounding cliffs are occasionally lit up by thunder is stunningly beautiful. This game will age very well. I bet it looks even better on the PS4, but I'm satisfied with it looking as great as it does on Switch. With the quality of life-improvements and extra content, it absolutely is the ultimate edition.

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Joe-b

@King-X ok. Thanks. I've been leveling up and collecting gold in the fortess of fear. Hoping to beat a king metal slime before he escapes. No luck yet. Maybe I'll go do some tokington quests. I don't think they would be very long..

Joe-b

WiltonRoots

@Quarth I too had problems with the third Drustan trial. I did it in 52 moves but needed 50 but all my characters are between level 74-78. Damn. On the plus side you don't have to completely restart the level. Have you revisited every town?

Edited on by WiltonRoots

WiltonRoots

Quarth

@WiltonRoots No, I haven't. Guess I'll do that, maybe this weekend.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

WiltonRoots

@Joe-b The amount of times I fought King Metal Slimes and said to myself "don't run away, don't run away!" And then they run away. Aaargh!

I've actually taken a breather from the game for a day or two after being on it pretty much every day since I bought it - I just need to max out my characters then I have three big things I need to round up. I haven't got the patience to do all the side quests, if I happen across one then I'll do it but I'm at about 120 hours already.

I think that will be me done with big games until maybe next year.

WiltonRoots

Joe-b

@WiltonRoots yah, I'm taking my first day off since it's release, (2 jobs today). I'm at level 62. Working my way through the "luminary trial" brutal. I also hope that the Supreme Sword of light" isn't necessary to beat calasmos. I don't have the materials to forge it. The other real tough task is getting the Jormun to be part of cobblestone. I think I need a lightning spell but don't have any...other than jades lightning thrust and that doesn't work...sorry to anyone with spoilers. Blacking out the verbiage isn't working.

Joe-b

Joe-b

@Quarth do you know who learns the spell to hit the Jornum with, to send him to Cobblestone? At level 63. I finished him with jades lighting strike. No go.

Joe-b

Eel

I'm currently just exploring the areas around Arendelle after dealing with Elsa.

Lots of sights to see. Taking my time.

Gotta love how when you use the in-game camera function, the game pretties itself up for a single frame. It's fun to take comparison shots.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

WoomyNNYes

@Ralizah Ever since I discovered his Dragon Quest XI review last summer, I check Tim Roger's youtube playlist often. And, every now and then, he talks about a game he want's developed called "Truck Heck!" -which just sounds so great when he talks about it, or talks about how he's pitched it to high-up industry people. While that aspiration seems legit, he also uses Truck Heck! like comedy bit. Much of how Tim Rogers talks about games has an amusing comedic delivery quality, which I now think borders on genius. Tim Rogers is great. I recommend checking his youtube playlist.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Ryu_Niiyama

Ok so I have to start over (bought the jpn version) is it worth it to try to farm bunny tails in act I?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

I’m not a fan of Kotaku in general but Tim Rogers is a real gem. The guy has been around. He literally has Links Awakening memorized, to the point he was describing the entire map (shown separately on screen while he was talking) down to every nitty gritty detail. Him and IGN’s Brian Altano (another real gem- how could anyone not love Brian Altano?) would get along great. They’re birds of a feather.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

BruceCM

Finally finished the game.... Great stuff but I'll not be replaying it

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
You’re back! Are you back? Or just randomly popping in?

How’s that Dragon Quest Switch? I love it to death- it’s so awesome. Actually glad I kept the 2nd because I wanted to have my cake and eat it too- one is all digital library of best games cherry picked, other is physical only + digital games not released physically. And can easily swap back and forth between them.

You were MIA for all the new launches. Have you tried the Switch Lite yet? It’s hard to go back to OG Switch handheld after the Lite. Especially using this case.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

komodo182

@BruceCM I don't feel it has much replayability... decent game, but parts were a chore for me.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

BruceCM

Well, it was certainly rather long, @komodo182 .... & I did everything this time Not really any alternative endings, I don't think & it would be a chore to go through it all again

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH randomly popping in. Getting burnt out from studying but I have 3 more weeks to stuff my brain. Plus the Mercury transit on Monday!! (So excited, testing my camera and telescope now!!)

I gotta say the overall vibe of the site feels like it’s getting worse (a lot more hostility and sexism floating around in comment sections, I am starting to feel uncomfortable here. The forums seem ok still. I think. ) so not sure if I’ll be back in December as planned.

While I’m using the joycons (so cute!) the system itself is still in the box until I get a bigger micro SD. I want the 1TB card so I am hoping for a deal on Black Friday. If not I’ll get the 512 to give me a little more time (my 400GB is full) and do the transfer then. I figure I’ll root my OG Switch then and put all my retro games on it. I’m just working my way through DQ (trying to farm bunny tails in ACT I) and Zelda. But mostly studying.

No interest in the LiteSwitch as it removes the best feature of the Switch (for me) and it’s smaller (smaller screen size is a no go for me) so not my cup of tea. Long fingers but standard female width palms means the OG Switch is a good size for me. I don’t even use my DxM joycons as much as I thought I would. I know males like smaller handhelds so they can pocket stuff, but I'm ok using a case, that I can put in my bag or purse.

Very happy to hear your setup is working for you though! I’m assuming you are getting Pokémon? I bought too many RPGs, so aside from Samurai Showdown I will try (keyword) to curb my spending for a few months. I’ll likely front load my JPN eshop credit though.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
From my observations, the site has gotten worse but mostly because of a constant barrage of trolling or insecure marginalizations toward anything releasing on Switch like "what's exciting, not buying old games full price- I'll just play it on Console X where it's way cheaper and runs in 4k 60fps blah blah blah" for every single article talking about a game. The constant need to convince everyone they are superior to Switch gamers just grinds me after a while. If you're not interested move along, no need to attempt to make everyone feel like they have nothing to be excited for. Half the people here have other consoles and still choose to buy games on Switch. It's a preference, not a consolation prize for ppl who dont have access to a "better version".

Anyways, 1TB is ridiculously expensive. I got mine for $330 each but haven't seen them on sale since. Now the wait is on for the 2TB cards. If I see a sale though I'll try to post in the Switch Forum.

As for Lite, I still like v2 Switch and still use it undocking around the house. But going to work the lite is better cause I can pocket it using that flip case, and can quickly flip shut so no one can see what it is. The smaller screen doesnt actually seem any smaller in practice (like, I can still see and read everything the same) but it is much lighter and because it isnt as tall, it's more comfy on the corner where my palms rest. I just send saves back and forth, or play separate games on it, like Trials Rising or Monkey Ball, good pick up and play games. Also Witcher 3 though cause that at work is amazing! But ya it's not for everyone.

Getting Pokemon, excited for it too. But I'm not sure if I'll have time for it. So many games in backlog it's insane. And I find myself going back to games I've beaten like Fire Emblem, Trials Rising, Smash, etc.

Did you import the Dragon Quest 1-3 from Play-Asia? It's great (I like the new artstyle personally). Ordered a custom cover art in English with the NA teen rating logo from Naytendo on Etsy. Looks perfect. Final Fantasy VII-VIII Remastered is next. Samurai Showdown is a game I'll be playing with the Hori arcade stick. That's gonna be a heck of an experience there. A modern SNK game with stick. I suck at everything but Street Fighter though, so no online for me.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic