Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 521 to 540 of 705

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH oh yeah the barrage of negativity towards anything on Switch (especially if it is a port) gets old fast. I get having an opinion but why go out your way to complain? My complaint? Not enough time to play all of these great games. For that matter not enough money to buy them all at launch lol! I’m a Switch first gamer and I love it because I play on the system I enjoy the most. Enough that I double dip without hesitation. (I mostly wait for ports now unless it is on game pass). Nah I bought 1-3 JPN digital instead. I just needed to retire my wii copy and the jpn versions are the ones I grew up with anyway. If I’m buying Japanese I usually go digital. So much easier. I’m in my widdle studio for another six months so I don’t need the box clutter right now.

Yeah that 1tb price hurts me. One day.

Question: did you buy AC III collection physical? Is it all on one cart or half digital? I’m hoping the rogue and IV collection are split so I can offload IV.

Yeah I love the Switch for fighters. So easy to tote to my Fighting game meetup and I have both retro gems and modern stuff in one lightweight package! I need a few more of my modern staples and it will be perfect. Not to look ahead but I feel like Switch 2 will shine in this area. If Nintendo can get at least base xbox one parity and be backwards compatible... (and the tegra family has come a long way) then that will be glorious. I feel the twins have hit a stagnation point (optimization, textures, consistency in framerates and loading times are all over the place so I hope the new twins address that) so this could give Nintendo time to catch up a little more.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

@Ryu_Niiyama
So, Assassins Creed 3 had both games on the cart. However, there was still a fairly sizable download due to the DLC and day one patch. But no download codes, no banner on the box, none of that.

It’s interesting because AC Rebel Collection is cited as 11.4gb on the eShop, which is incredibly small for both games combined. And EU retailers showed a box stating a download was necessary. But the NA version has not showed that, and an Ubi rep on Amazon has answered questions in the product listing page stating it’s all on cart (though they could simply be misinformed).

The file size leads me to believe AC:IV Black Flag is on a 16gb cart, and AC Rogue is an update download, hence the small file size on the eShop. They did manage to fit AC3 and Liberation on a 16gb cart together, so ACIV being 12gb is feasible. But it seems awful likely Rogue will be a download in the best case scenario. Which sucks but... at the same time, having the full ACIV game on cart is enough for me. Rogue is just a bonus.

I’m really excited for that one. I love Black Flag, and I hear Rogue is also one of the best in the series.

I’m a sucker for tat, and ordered the KOS-MOS Xenoblade 2 1/7 scale statue to go along with Pyra and Mythra. Cancelled the Atelier Ryza one though. Gotta draw the line somewhere. But then the Edelgard Figma went up for order and well... Fire Emblem is always a yes. And Monster Hunter. And Xenoblade. Those 3 get me every time.

Which of the Hamster SNK fighters are best? I deleted all of them on my digital systems because they cluttered the menu and there was like 10 different KoF games. But which ones are the essentials? With Terry in Smash and Samurai Showdown Im excited to keep a few SNK classics for easy access. Which ones would you recommend for KoF, Last Blade, Samurai Showdown, Garou, Metal Slug, Sengoku, etc?

edit
I chose the best one from each series after some research.

Samurai Showdown V Special
Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Garou Mark of the Wolves
The Last Blade 2
Sengoku 3
Metal Slug 3
King of Fighters 98

Those 8 seem to encapsulate the “best of” quite well. My problem was having a dozen or half dozen of each series. It’s just too much. Following the “only ONE per series” makes it easier to digest. I had to split Fatal Fury up into 3 though- the original numbered series, the Real Bout entries and of course, Mark of the Wolves which is kinda it’s own thing.

edit 2
Just got my ship in DQXIS. I haven’t played in about a week but I fired it up today on the Lite. Been doing some handheld gaming all day. The game really picked up all of a sudden. And it seems every time I play it it looks even better on handheld than the last time.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

WiltonRoots

JaxonH wrote:

From my observations, the site has gotten worse but mostly because of a constant barrage of trolling or insecure marginalizations toward anything releasing on Switch like "what's exciting, not buying old games full price- I'll just play it on Console X where it's way cheaper and runs in 4k 60fps blah blah blah" for every single article talking about a game. The constant need to convince everyone they are superior to Switch gamers just grinds me after a while. If you're not interested move along, no need to attempt to make everyone feel like they have nothing to be excited for. Half the people here have other consoles and still choose to buy games on Switch. It's a preference, not a consolation prize for ppl who dont have access to a "better version".

I can't think who you're talking about , but it's like a broken record stuck on loop now. Same drivel every day from either him or the 1 percenter. If I wanted a gaming PC or one of the other two consoles, I could buy one at the snap of a finger, but I choose not to as there's very little I want on them. I have no interest in these big third party "AAA" western titles at all.

Anyway back to DQXI S. Finally beat it after about 142 hours. What an epic experience it was. Probably one of my favourite Switch games to date. I still have a few 2d quests left over but I'm not sure I'll do all of them. Got all my characters up to level 99 which was a bit of a grind but hey.

WiltonRoots

Eel

Please don't be afraid of using the ignore button, and report anyone who goes too far.

I'd honestly have a lot of those comment section people on ignore if I wasn't a mod.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

bellow

So I've seen the titles after killing the big bad, but there's more. Apparently a lot more, a whole different scenario that seems (from the first hour of playing it) to be rewriting the history my hero just made.

I was wondering how many players went down this route in the post game. Or should I leave this well alone and revel in my completion of a fine adventure in the main story?

bellow

Cynas

@bellow continue going down that route. It's completely intended for you to do, to be honest I wouldn't even consider it "post-game", it's pretty much the real ending to the main story.

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

bellow

@Cynas You know I nearly missed this whole thing. The ending seemed fine to me, and the credits even had a 'to be continued'
notice which I thought might be referring to the next game.

I only went back in because I'd read about this rather tricky third act, while my time with the game had been a breeze. I thought I might have missed something.

Turns out I had.

bellow

bellow

Wow. I can't believe this post credit experience. It's a whole new game with a whole new level of challenge. I'm strategizing, I'm getting wiped and managing hair's breadth victories with my backup squad. I'm investigating gear and pep powers, and trying abilities that I never even thought about in the (rather easy) main game.

It's great.

In fact it's so good I think might just stop for a bit. I want to savour it, but I've clocked 80 hours on this and I'm feeling the burn slightly. Mop a few things up and return fresh for a standoff with this new villain, whoever the hell he is.

bellow

Ryu_Niiyama

Does anyone know which if the Japanese codes for the wolf armor are universal? I really don’t wanna buy a magazine for this one set.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

the8thark

Quarth wrote:

OK, so I'm in the post-game and I'm kinda mixed about it.

Pros:
- I get to follow my beloved team on further adventures.
- The twists and turns of the plot gets even more interesting.
- Story elements that were introduced in the main part of the game gets explained and developed.

Cons:
- My characters powers were understandably removed, but when I regained them, why did I have to unlock the skills again?
- There's a lot of just running back and forth, at least it feels that way.
- The Trials aren't interesting (just re-used dungeons) and just feels like a long haul before the upcoming final battle (I'm about to enter the third one).

My opinions on your pros and cons of the game.

Your pros
- A great part of the game. Like it as well
- Very interesting indeed. I really liked them too
-This also happens with the additions between Act 1 and Act 2. Really fleshing out the story. Though the Act 3 story is not an addition to the story . . . well sort of. It's an alternate Act 2. If the World Tree is destroyed, you get Act 2 story. If the world Tree is not destroyed, you get Act 3 story.

Your Cons
-Think of it as a free respec. Secondly it has to happen this way storywise. Only the Hero time travelled. At that point in Act 1 no one else knew the stuff you later learned in Act 2. You just get all your Act 2 XP and skill points back as no one wants to refarm it all over again and the devs can then make Act 3 harder than Act 2. This way the balance is kept but the story still make sense.
It does feel that way. In reality it's just Act 2 repeated but this time in a non linear fashion. Which is a nice change from Act 1 and Act 2 which are mostly linear.
-I feel they are just padding and not really needed. Fun but just artificially lengthening an already long game.

the8thark

the8thark

@Cynas

I agree it's just like
Back to the future part 2. Going back in time to write a wrong that happened at a cetain point in the story. Of cause this creates an alternate timeline, but it's a good timeline as a result. Or was the original bad timeline the alternate one and the new fixed good timeline the proper one?

the8thark

Ryu_Niiyama

Well, I just lied to Romia and I feel traumatized (I figured it was another but thou must that DQ is notorious for). I think I stared at the question for like 20 minutes trying to decide what to do. Just so much pain all around, but when she casually mentioned that her people live 500 years I just wanted to cry.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Eel

I assume that's another name for the mermaid waiting for her lover, right?

I told her the truth. It was just as traumatic.

Bloop.

Ralizah

That entire mermaid subplot was pretty depressing.

For the record, I told her the truth as well. Figured she had the right to know.

DQXI is an AMAZING game.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Ryu_Niiyama

@Eel Playing the JPN version, I don't know the English language name. I'm going to bet the ship hand isn't named Alice in the English language version though.

@Ralizah I like to see the reactions to the "but thou must" but even I was like I can't just lie to her...then I figured it would loop me back and uh yeah I was wrong. I think I'll keep it for now because I know I'll do a 2d play through in a few years. However I feel horrible. ...At least she isn't immortal like many of the Japanese Dragon Palace under the sea tales...
Also agreed. I bought like 30 games for Black Friday and I feel like I wasted my money because all I want to play is DQ.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Eel

I think whichever choice you pick makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things, so don't worry too much.

I do absolutely recommend you to watch the other route for that quest though! if you feel like your day was lacking just that little dash of depression.

Her English name is Michelle.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

rallydefault

What do you guys think... Dragon Quest XI or Mana Collection?

rallydefault

Ralizah

So, having finished FE: Three Houses (and spending 10+ hours on a second playthrough), I think I'm ready to go back to DQXI!

I quit right after hitting Arboria. So, I played for a number of hours yesterday and witnessed the fall of Yggdrasil. Not sure that I expected the game to pull a FF6, but I'm not hugely surprised, either.

These weird subplots with each character afterward weren't in the original PS4 release, right? I'm not sure how I feel about them. After witnessing something devastating like that, I want to get my party back together, not follow Sylvando on some bizarre pilgrimage to bring happiness back to the world. What tonal whiplash!

Considering Veronica and Serena talked not long before about 'wanting their leaves to fall at the same time,' I feel like this game is about to kill one of them off, and I'm not happy about it. This dread I'm feeling certainly isn't helping, and I don't care about the misadventures of surviving party members in the meantime.

It's a charming, funny game, but DQVIII had a VERY nasty edge to it at times, and I feel like that's about to happen with XI as well.

Regardless, I'm quite enjoying the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic