Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 941 to 960 of 1,213

Starburst

@DTMOF84 Sounds good!

Whats poppin

Switch Friend Code: SW-5982-6570-5215 | 3DS Friend Code: 3583-5718-9476 | My Nintendo: Neko | Nintendo Network ID: Nekokanane

NEStalgia

@UmniKnight The game looks fine on the big screen. Does it look like a PC? No, but it looks good. Certainly good enough that what I gain with portable play makes it easily more worthwhile than any other CONSOLE version.

That said, this is Doom, it's of course going to be best on a PC with a mouse, it was id's games that put keyboard-and-mouse on the map to begin with, so that's of course the "natural" control scheme for their games. I don't think it could be argued with to play it as a glorified tech demo with a mouse input, since that's what id games classically were.

But for a console version the Switch version looks and plays great. Side by side, the PS4 looks prettier, but the game plays so fast, like with racing games, it doesn't actually matter....your brain can't process it all anyway and distills everything to "trackable object, vs. background blur." It's all fine and good for screenshots, box art, and Digital Foundry, but in motion, be it Doom or Forza, your brain is actively REMOVING the gfx from what it's processing anyway. Mouse, of course would be better though.

@JaxonH Still planning to reply to your other messages! Haven't had a chance. But as for motion, I can see that. The game plays fine, but I do feel after splatoon spoiled me and years of mouse play for shooters that I'm fighting the controls rather than playing them. Too many times I feel I'm pointing at the ground and using aim assist or just can't zero in on an enemy. On PSXBox there's no way around that to get that mouse-like control the game was built for, but Switch DOES provide a means to do it. The game plays well without it, but were they to patch in motion controls, the game would go from "good port with portable value" to "The only acceptable console version." I don't think I'd touch Nightmare difficulty with sticks....but with motion it would be so good.

If the game manages to sell really well its certainly possible they could patch it in though. Bethesda's the kind of company that adds value over time just because they can rather than trying to milk it, as long as there's enough customers to please.

NEStalgia

SLIGEACH_EIRE

rallydefault wrote:

@UmniKnight
I do play my shooters on my PC, and using a controller when I'm used to mouse and board always takes a few minutes to adjust (and even then... yea, using a controller to aim makes angels cry lol).

But like I said, I bought the game knowing the sacrifices that it made, and I'm still enjoying it. I use my Switch as a handheld 90% of the time, and having an FPS like this on the go is just frickin' amazing no matter how low-rez they had to go on the graphics. Again - tip of my hat to the devs that even managed to get this running and most likely at the most optimal settings possible.

So the game has pointer and gyro controls? It uses the extra power available to it when docked?

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendoforlife

@NEStalgia I noticed someone said to turn off "chromatic aberration" in the settings to improve image quality, can you confirm whether this makes a noticeable difference?

Nintendoforlife

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
positivity guru

When you're so negative that you perceive anyone else who doesn't incessantly complain as a "positivity guru", maybe it's time to re-evaluate.

I'm not a positivity guru, I'm a "video game fan who actually likes to talk about games I enjoy as opposed to incessantly complaining about them day and night" guru. Rather than spend 90% of my time on the internet repeatedly complaining about what I don't like (which brings no pleasure whatsoever) I choose to spend my time talking about what I do like. What's the point of enjoying a hobby if all you do is complain all the time. Kinda defeats the purpose of "having a good time". And if you're having such a bad time you feel the need to constantly complain, maybe it's time to find some other hobby that doesn't bring you so much misery.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@SLIGEACH_EIRE
lol alright let's play that game, then.

Anecdotally, I can say something interesting: Even after playing this game in handheld mode for an hour or so, my Switch is barely warm to the touch. Nowhere near the heat that games like Zelda and Mario Kart produce after an hour or so of playtime. Whether that's an indication that more power could have been squeaked in, I don't know. Just interesting.

rallydefault

Haruki_NLI

Jesus H Christ people, cant we just accept people have different opinions and value different experiences and stop trying to force ones views onto another? It's maddening!

DOOM is a game. You play it. You either like it or you don't. You move on in life.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@UmniKnight
Nobody said anything about "overlooking".

There's a stark contrast between recognizing something you don't like, acknowledging it, accepting it and moving on... and beating a dead horse repeatedly as you continually complain about it over and over.

There's also a stark contrast between recognizing something you don't like, acknowledging it, accepting it and moving on... and choosing to only talk about those things as opposed to things you actually like.

But somehow, in your mind, you have to spend 90% of your time complaining and if you don't... well.... you're simply "overlooking the bad". I do get hyped. And excited. That's the whole point of playing video games. It's supposed to be a fun hobby. If you find something you don't like, then don't focus on it! I don't like microtransactions, but you don't see me complaining about them day and night. I simply choose to spend my time playing other games and talking about other games.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Starburst

@BLP_Software The internet is a fun place isn't it?

Whats poppin

Switch Friend Code: SW-5982-6570-5215 | 3DS Friend Code: 3583-5718-9476 | My Nintendo: Neko | Nintendo Network ID: Nekokanane

Spoony_Tech

You 2 go to your rooms and think about what you've done!

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JoyBoy

Can we stop saying “agree to disagree” if we can’t even pretend to stop ourselfs from disagreeing to the agreement of the so called disagreement? Nobody cares!

This thread is a mess!

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

NEStalgia

@UmniKnight I never said you can't tell the difference in graphical fidelity. In fact I more or less said you can. I haven't played PC in a number of years....got tired of the expense, time and being chained to a desk....I get to deal with PCs all day and get paid for it....I'd rather not when I get home... it was cool when I was younger...not so much now. But yeah, I know what "PC" is all about....once upon a time I was building top of the top.

Of course it doesn't looks as pretty. And there's no reason to not buy an id game on PC if you have the hardware and patience/mindset to actually sit and play it that way. That's the platform it's designed for first. In your case, sure, buy PC and don't look back. For me, I don't intend to be PC bound ever again for gaming, mouse-love or not (I miss my RTSs though ), and I skipped this game on PS4 because playing it on a console was meh. But pick up and play Doom? YES PLEASE! If I could have dragged my PC around with me in '95 I'd have done it It's about the handheld, sure. I didn't buy the game for my TV-tethered PS4 a year ago. BUT the TV experience also plays very well. It's not PC pretty. And it's not mouse/motion precise (yet?) but it doesn't play worse than PS4 despite not being as pretty and the environments are still bigger/clearer/more impressive when on a bigger screen.

I don't disagree on Jaxon's positivity at times. I agree with him very often on most topics, and appreciate his deeper-thinking viewpoints, but sometimes like his stance on downloads that I still haven't replied to, there is a willingness to accept anything for the sake of accepting it that I can disagree with. But in this case, Doom on Switch does bring itself a reason to exist. Moreso than the PS4/X1 version, IMO.

@Nintendoforlife You know I haven't tried it yet, but I'll have to give it a shot tonight! I looked at the setting and considered turning it off because I remember that was a thing with FAST RMX, and I indeed much preferred RMX with CA turned OFF as well. If it behaves like RMX did then, I'm definitely looking forward to it. In RMX everything became so much sharper and felt smoother. Maybe more "computer generated" versus "cinematic" but as an old school gamer, that looks "better" to me.

NEStalgia

diwdiws

Ok so finaly returned the switch i borrowed. My final impressions on Doom are:

1) its a great game on handheld, looks good plays well, captures the feel of the game as the other platforms. First time players and those who dont intend to play the higher difficulties will love it.

2) But... for those who will double dip and have played Doom seriously before on other platforms and are therefore intending to playthe arcade mode on the higher difficulty levels. be warned that performace problems will hamper your game starting from ultra violence and gets worse on nightmare. So if you intend to pickup what you left of on other playforms, better stick to those since the slowdown will affect your aim and is very irritating.

diwdiws

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Haha. Punny.

Seriously though, people say agree to disagree, when the entire damn problem is YOU CANT AGREE hence you say "Agree to disagree" and the cycle just keeps going and going and going in a circle like some dodgy Mass Effect AI.

Go kill some demons or masticate or something. Christ. The industry is going to hell (HA) enough to not warrant fans of a game getting into a slapping contest about who's Gauss Cannon is bigger and who is more "right".

Fun fact: No one is right! It's subjective! Get the hell (HA) over it! Stop trying to beat each other over the head with subjective opinions, you aren't keyboard cavemen!

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

Every single thread, it turns into a 30 page argument about some complaint.

I want our threads back. Talk about games again.

Nintendoforlife

@NEStalgia Ok I look forward to your response, apparently it's been a source of increased resolution for some people that have tried it. This was the example given in the thread I read: Untitled

@JaxonH Maybe you can try it out as well and tell me what you think.

Nintendoforlife

JaxonH

I keep CA off as well

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic