Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,213

Nintendoforlife

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Nintendoforlife The image on the right looks much better quality.

It's for sure a clearer image. I just do not how much CA they actually implemented into the game, and if it reaches the levels of "strong CA". Either way if you can boost your res up atleast a little bit using this, I would be interested to know the difference.

Nintendoforlife

Pho

Sooo anyways, I've been having a lot of fun in multiplayer, been using the EMG and it's super satisfying.

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Haruki_NLI

@Nintendoforlife That's doing nightmares for my eyes. Either the image is bright or all that stuff is blending together.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

carlos82

For those actually playing the game what's your favourite weapon to use? Personally I go with the super shotgun but I do love the micro missiles on the assault rifle.

I need to get on the multiplayer mode at some point too

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5967-3221-9309 | My Nintendo: Carlos

NEStalgia

@Nintendoforlife I'm not sure why game engines think CA somehow looks better. On the photography forums, their equivalent of "pixel peepers" and "digital foundry/GAF" types are measuring lenses for any and all CA and lambasting the CA and PF artifacts on all glass but the best glass In photography: CA = bad lens, and need to try to correct it in p/p. In video games CA = "new best fx!"

I'm really curious to try it out now, and I'm not sure what kept me from trying it over the weekend.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@carlos82 I can't think of doom without thinking of shotguns. That rush/retreat/rush/retreat loop kind of defines what Doom is to me.

Of course BFG or GTFO......

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

I checked and it does seem that disabling Chromatic Aberration improves not only the image quality but also the framerate. The easiest way of seeing this is on the multiplayer map Empyrian (Orbital also works very well).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

carlos82

@NEStalgia haha that sums up Doom perfectly and who doesn't love a BFG? (best weapon name ever 😉)

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Ralizah

CA gets turned off in every game I own that employs it. I'll never understand the appeal. Same with motion blur.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Motion blur is ok....it smooths out any frame choppiness while turning, and IS the way human eyesight actually works when turning quickly. It's overdone and I turn it down, but it is realistic and avoids the jarring sharp-images-while-turning unnaturalness.

But CA I don't get....motion blur makes it look like real human vision when turning. CA makes the game look like it's shot with a Zenit with a cheap Tokina UV filter stuck on the end for good measure.

NEStalgia

Pho

@carlos82 EMG, I love charging up for a devastating hit.

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

JaxonH

I use the standard pistol unless it's a tough enemy, which I like to use the shotgun on. The auto rifle I use for shield enemies though, and just checking out the plasma gun

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Nintendoforlife

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I checked and it does seem that disabling Chromatic Aberration improves not only the image quality but also the framerate. The easiest way of seeing this is on the multiplayer map Empyrian (Orbital also works very well).

Would you say it created a difference to the point where you would recommend it to everyone who plays the game. Or is it more of a maybe you want to, maybe you don't situation.

Nintendoforlife

meleebrawler

@JaxonH The plasma rifle has an insane rate of fire good for wearing down tough enemies, but chews through it's ammo like butter. I recommend the stun bomb mod, great for taking down some large enemies relatively safely.

It's hard for me to call a favourite since they're almost all good in certain situations (even the pistol, for saving ammo and setting up glory kills on weak enemies for challenges). But I guess it'd have to be the Heavy Assault Rifle with scope mod. Can't beat those tried and tested headshots and piercing! The mini-rockets are kind of useful at first, but get quickly outclassed by the actual rocket launcher (especially effective against the fat fire-breathers, Wraths or whatever). Also just discovered the Gauss Rifle, another plasma weapon with great range and stopping power but high recoil between shots. Could be good for setups.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

carlos82

Got to love a good charge shot with the pistol, can't say I've ever used the plasma rifle much though.

@meleebrawler the mini rockets are fun when you have them fully upgraded and can fire them continuously but I see what you're saying regards the rocket launcher being more useful, the Gauss Rifle is epic in the right situation

Haruki_NLI

Plasma Rifle with the heat burst is good

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

carlos82

On a side note I have now come across a couple of stress points in the campaign, they are few and far between and manifest as slowdown (rather than stuttering as is usually the case in modern games) which for me still makes them perfectly playable and as a big retro gamer, oddly comforting

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I've not found a game yet that wasn't improved by turning off motion blur. Yes, even DOOM on the Switch. Making it harder for me to see when turning doesn't improve my gameplay experience.

It's also the visual effect which can have the most destructive impact on a game when overused.

Case in point: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD at launch.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Akira_1975

I'm really enjoying Doom and am extremely thankful it's been released on the Switch. I'd love to see further refinements made to the game engine over the next year or so. See if they can improve overall image quality without sacrificing performance with little optimizations here and there. I'm sure they'll be able to squeeze a little more out of the switch. Time will tell.

Either way I've never played Doom before and I'm having a blast with the game. Looking forward to other Bethesda games.

Edited on by Akira_1975

Akira_1975

NEStalgia

@Ralizah It may not improve the "gameplay" by blurring the vision, but it does make it more realistic/immersive as to how you'd actually see were you actually standing on a ruined Mars station shooting at demons from Hell with a shotgun and rusty 1950's chainsaw....

Also some people (many people?) get serious physical discomfort from high fps motion without motion blur....their brain cant parse the unnatural motion and it's pretty essential for VR (not that I'm a huge fan of it.) for that reason as well.

In real life it's hard to see when turning...so I can appreciate the immersion (or necessity) of it even if it ruins the "omg perfect positioning" (otoh, don't give me motion blur on my splatoon chargers....!)

CA has no purpose but to simulate really cheap, bad, photographic lenses for no apparent reason other than because they can because it simulates something real with light.

FF Type 0 HD.....I didn't play that........I have standards......

@Akira_1975 I doubt they'll be tweaking the engine performance in doom well after release.....but i do imagine they'll be pouring some of that into Wolfenstein which runs on the same engine. And since Wolf kind of had a so-so launch on PS4/X1/PC, they're probably hoping to be able to lean on their rare presence in the Nintendo world to eek out more from that game if the Doom reception is good!

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic