Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Posts 141 to 160 of 326

Gregnetic

Two things I was hoping for when it comes to Wii U ports, DKC Tropical Freeze, and the Zelda HD remakes. I will gladly fork over the cash for this game day 1.

Gregnetic

Pazzo-TheFool

@JaxonH You can say that again.

I even owned a Wii U and felt like I didn't.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Octane

Leave TPHD where it is. I want a proper remake, and as long as they're going to port the old GameCube game to other systems, the smaller the chance we're getting a full remake.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I would like Nintendo to give these kinds of remakes to Blue Point. They could do wonders with any number of Nintendo games.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Octane

@FragRed Agreed. I was a bit disappointed with Twilight Princess HD. Not because it's a bad game, but because it needs more than upgraded textures. The 3D models are dated, and they need to be built from scratch. If they weren't willing to put that much work into it, they should've just released it as a digital Wii game on the Wii U.

But I'd give anything to play a proper remake of that game, or Ocarina/MM for example.

Octane

FragRed

@Octane I think the only reason that game was released the way it was, was purely Nintendo thinking "Oh crap we need to somehow fill out the Wii U schedule while we have our resources focused on the NX." Otherwise I don't know if it would have been a basic texture increase.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I don't think Twilight Princess HD would've happened on Wii U if BotW wasn't delayed so much.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@FragRed That's very likely. Which is a shame, because it means they're less likely to remake it since a ''remaster'' happened very recently.

Octane

HailKaiba

This game was underpriced when it came out. It’s the greatest 2D platformer of all time so I felt like I was stealing the game for $50 on Wii U. I can’t wait to buy this game for the price it deserves on Switch, $60.

HailKaiba

Agriculture

I have a question about this game. I bought a Snes mini and have been playing Donkey Kong Country. Great game, except it's full of barrels. Having the barrel go up and down so you have to time when you shoot out of it? Fine. Having the barrel spin around while also going in a circle and having two bees flying circles around you and trying to fire out at the split second when everything lines up so you can hit a second auto-fire barrel that you hope happens to also be lined up, then having to do all of this 6 times in a row before a save point? Not very fun at all.

So, my question is if this game is full of barrel timing obstacles that gets increasingly annoying?

Agriculture

StuTwo

@Agriculture it’s a much better designed game. There are a lot of barrel firing sections but they do feel much fairer with better placement of checkpoints.

That said - whilst it is generally fair - it’s an incredibly hard game by mainstream standards. It demands quick reactions and (in many places) memorisation of the levels.

If that’s not your idea of fun then you probably won’t like the game.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

rallydefault

Ah - I've always liked the barrel parts in the original!

Hey, was anybody here a member of Nintendo Power back when DKC came out on the SNES? I remember getting that VHS in the mail that showed the development process and all that stuff - was wicked cool. Not sure if that was a U.S.-only thing or what. Good memories!

rallydefault

Agriculture

StuTwo wrote:

@Agriculture it’s a much better designed game. There are a lot of barrel firing sections but they do feel much fairer with better placement of checkpoints.

That said - whilst it is generally fair - it’s an incredibly hard game by mainstream standards. It demands quick reactions and (in many places) memorisation of the levels.

If that’s not your idea of fun then you probably won’t like the game.

I do like that kind of game. I like Mega Man for example. It was just that the extreme barrel sections was way more an annoyance than fun. I don't mind some barrels, but DKC had levels with way too complicated barrel sections where you would lose too much progress if you press the button the wrong time.

Agriculture

Octane

@Agriculture Most of the barrel shots reward you for timing your shots perfectly (i.e. getting extra bananas, coins or a puzzle piece). I don't recall too many that punish you, you know, the barrels that shoot you into the abyss if your timing was a little off.

Octane

LaVelle

@rallydefault I had that here in the UK but I don't remember how or when. I think I might have even posted something off to get it.

LaVelle

HailKaiba

@StuTwo I wouldn’t say it requires memorization of the levels unless you’re trying to do time attack. I feel like the environment always gives clues on what’s happening so memorization isn’t necessary.

HailKaiba

toiletduck

Question: I would mainly buy this for couch co-op with a fairly unexperienced co-player. Any idea how I would appreciate this?

Not so thrilled that this won't see a physical copy in the EU btw...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Grumblevolcano

@toiletduck It is getting a physical copy for Europe, it's just not on Amazon yet. Various UK retailers have preorders available and I really doubt they'd have physical copies exclusive to the UK especially with how poorly Nintendo does there compared with the rest of Europe.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

I really wanted to get this physical and 100% it after not paying enough attention to it on the Wii U ... but for 60 bucks, just gonna wait for a sale.

Totally worth for anyone who didn't play it before, but not worth for those who already played it.

rallydefault

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic