Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Posts 121 to 140 of 326

Octane

@Chandlero Developing a full game: €50, I can see the reasoning behind that and I'm fine with that.

A port of the same game that's already done and paid for several years ago: €60, err.. why?

Octane

JaxonH

I agree they could've gone with a $49.99 price... but then again, they could've done that for Pokken Tournament and Hyrule Warriors too, but never did.

If somebody wants to play it for cheaper on an obsolete system, then I say get the inferior version for cheaper. Just getting the handheld version alone is worth $40- that's what 3DS ports would cost. That's what DKC Returns 3D cost. Of course you had to play with resolution lower than a standard def television and a teensy tiny screen so small you couldn't even see the character when he was in the background. So having a fully HD, full console handheld version, I say that warrants at least an extra $10 of value over a 3DS version of the game.

Tack on the fact you're getting an entire home console version with it as well, and we can say that makes up for the other $10.

Anyway you slice it, there's no way this game isn't worth it. And that's the thing with Switch- practically every single game is worth it at full price. I have yet to see a game where I said nope, I really want to play this game but I can't justify it. When it comes to 3 versions in one, HD handheld, tabletop, no save transfer tools... it's always justified. If they want to sell it a little cheaper, I'm certainly not going to complain... but at the end of the day I really don't care because I'm getting my money's worth multiple times over, even at full price.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Monkey_Balls

@Ralizah It's funny you asked that because I was going to get DKC Returns before DKCTF but opted for the supposedly superior game first. Now I'm wondering how good/bad Returns is. It's been on my wishlist for ages.

@Chandlero I don't know... I feel like I'm fighting the game all the time. DK is clunky and I never feel fully in control. When he's going slow, he's too slow; when going fast, the intended action seems to be behind the input. I press to jump and he seems to jump after, not at the point of the button press. This is particularly noticeable on the minecart levels or those needing quick reactions (and don't get me started on the flying or water levels). Also, the roll/water-dash mechanic seems to work when it wants to. Overall, momentum and movement is too inconsistent. I've never played a game like this where I'm gripping the controller and squeezing buttons hoping I make a jump or action.

Basically, the majority of my deaths seem to be control-related. They just feel off. Yoshi's WW also has a clunkiness to it but the controls are still tight; the Mario games are in a league of their own control-wise. In comparison, DKCTF sometimes feels broken. This is one of those games where many levels require multiple attempts/deaths (or perfect runs) due to one-chance items, which isn't fun when you throw questionable controls into the mix. I love a good challenge; however, I prefer to have a sense of accomplishment rather than relief when completing levels. I still keep playing it though (currently on world 5). Love/hate indeed.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Therad

@Monkey_Balls I agree with you. I don't think it is the best platformer on the Wii u. I also found the controls were off, and it didn't help you couldn't remap the buttons.

@JaxonH any way you slice it? It doesn't seem to offer much more than the Wii u version, so if you already have that version you are probably better off buying another game you haven't played yet. Unless of course you think the game is worth $100, then double dip away.

Therad

Octane

We should really do away with the notion that everything on the Switch is worth double its price.

Octane

Dezzy

Unless they deliberately print a tiny number of copies of this, there's no way the price will stay that high for a port of an old game that 13 million people can just buy for the Wii U.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Therad
Obviously I am referring to games I actually want to buy. If I had no desire to play the game again then I would have no desire to buy the game.

And the game does not cost $100. It costs the same price as every other game. Now, if you have already played the game and you don't want to buy it again, then don't buy it again. It's a simple as that really. But for anyone who hasn't played it, or for people like me who love the game so much they want to buy a handheld version (just like I bought a handheld version for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and for Super Smash Brothers and for Mario Maker and Final Fantasy X and DQ Builders on Vita and countless other games that I had already purchased on a console), it's a no brainer.

At the end of the day, we're talking about ported Wii U games. Either you want them or you don't. I never complained about buying 3DS versions of games I already owned on Wii U, nor did I ever complain buying Vita versions of games I already owned on PS4. Either you want to buy the game again are you don't. Either you love it enough that you want a handheld version or a hybrid version, or you don't. Plenty of people who had already played DKC Returns on Wii, bought it again for 3DS because they wanted a handheld version. And it had a choppy 20 frames per second and 240 P resolution. How do we go from that being OK to a full 3 versions in 1 not being OK. I don't get it. If it's such a problem for someone, then they probably just didn't want to buy the game again, in which case I would advise: don't.

@Octane
Unless you only use the system one way, that would be disingenuous. Granted it might not always be a perfect 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 ratio, but it's definitely more than a single game.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Monkey_Balls
The controls are like Monster Hunter. There's what's called "anticipation" (albeit a lesser extent) where you don't see immediate movement. There's a windup, a brief build up. It provides a sense of weight.

There's nothing wrong with this, but people used to no anticipation will always complain something feels "off"

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I think the price will stay for awhile, the fact it's cheaper on Wii U will likely mean nothing for the longevity of the Switch version's price simply because of how poorly the Wii U hardware sold. Think about it, what would people generally do? Buy the Switch version for the Switch they already own for $60 or buy a preowned Wii U and the Wii U version for like $200 (I'm just guessing on the price of a preowned Wii U but $180 seems reasonable?)? The former of course!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

I was operating under the assumption that a large majority of Switch owners already have a Wii U.

Granted, that might not be true. I was just guessing that the hardcore Nintendo purists are generally the first people to buy a new console (or the only people to buy the console in the case of the Wii U)

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

I do think a significant portion of Switch owners also own or owned a Wii U, and I agree that will affect how many people are interested in ports. But of those Wii U owners, a portion will buy the games they love again for the handheld aspect and tribrid aspect, and the rest of the Switch owners (I'm guessing at least half) will see it as a new game.

Ultimately, some ports may do worse than the original release and some may ultimately meet or exceed the original release. But regardless of the outcome, there is no doubt a great number of people want these games, either because they're brand new, handheld version of a game they love, superior console version of a handheld release they loved, or a simple desire to consolidate all their favorite games on one current gen, currently supported system which covers all bases with respect to preferred playstyles

Ralizah

I think that Nintendo hardcores were the first to preorder, but clearly a large number of people who never owned a Wii U are already buying in.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy Some still have a Wii U, some will have sold their Wii U and some won't have ever had a Wii U. Don't underestimate the second possibility like I'm sure if Smash Switch is a port, when it comes out there'll be a lot of people selling their Wii U.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

mowerdude

The only way I will pickup any of these ports is if I can get them for a cheap price not going to pay full retail price of a port that I already own. I only use my Switch as a home console I never take it out of the dock at all so I don't care that it has a portable mode at all for these Wii U ports.

mowerdude

JaxonH

They need to ensure this game has video capture support, and increase the time. I seriously doubt they'll raise the time limits before this game releases though.

When tax returns come, I'm gonna scoop a nice Elgato for the time trial runs. Plus I can use it for other systems if I want. MH videos, Metroid Prime 4 boss battles, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Fire Emblem strategies... tons of possibilities.

I think I'm pretty satisfied now with DKC Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 on Switch. I mean, I'll take the whole gosh dang Wii U library if given the chance, but I know that'll never happen. The top 3 games I wanted was this, Bayo2 and Xenoblade X. But having Xenoblade 2 makes not having XCX easier to swallow. If they never bring it... I think I could live with that.

Watch outlets like GameSpot regurgitate that outrageous review again. I can already see it coming. Not gonna pass up a chance to slam this game if given a nice, ripe opportunity to do so.

Edited on by JaxonH

Devlind

Should I get it full price on the Switch or grab it discounted for the Wii U? I really don't care about portability since I want to play this game on my TV. Besides Funky and portability, is there a bigger difference?

Devlind

Therad

Devlind wrote:

Should I get it full price on the Switch or grab it discounted for the Wii U? I really don't care about portability since I want to play this game on my TV. Besides Funky and portability, is there a bigger difference?

Those are the only known differences as of now. And only you can make a decision if it is worth the extra bucks to get it on the newer consoles.

Therad

Devlind

@Therad Thanks. Where I live games are quite expensive, specially Switch games. I mean, I could buy 4 copies of the Wii U version for what they ask for the Switch version. That's why I was debating between having the game right now, cheaper and have almost the same experience (besides Funky and portability) or wait and pay full price for it just for the sake to have it on the Switch.

Devlind

Grumblevolcano

@Devlind I'd recommend waiting either way, that way you don't get annoyed if extra contents are announced later on.

Grumblevolcano

NaviAndMii

@Devlind Not a major thing, but I've heard that the gameplay footage shown in the Mini Direct appeared to be running at a higher resolution than the WiiU original - so there's that as well, apparently...but I think that @Grumblevolcano makes a good point - if you're a F.O.M.O. (fear of missing out!) sufferer, like myself, it might be worth holding off making a decision until we know whether the Switch version will get any additional content before making a decision

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic