Forums

Topic: almost ready to sell my switch

Posts 141 to 160 of 376

nintendawesome

I don't use the web browser on consoles. I have my phone for that.
But considering the Switch has a big screen, it would be better if it had YouTube. YouTube is a must for all consoles imo
Of course, I think the Switch definitely needs Virtual Console.
The main reason why I don't want a Switch yet is its lack of games (Virtual Console being a part of that). People argue about Botw being enough of a system seller, but regardless of how good ONE game that the system has is, it doesn't immediately qualify for it for a purchase. I may finish BotW in a month...then what? Then there's ARMS, which I could get bored with after a week of playing.
The Switch definitely needs more games for me to consider buying it. The only game I really got excited for during the "Nintendo E3 Spotlight" this year, that we had actual footage of, was Super Mario Odyssey.
Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon Switch, and Fire Emblem Switch all SOUND cool, but we saw NOTHING of them.
Sure, they showed off a new Yoshi game and Kirby game, but they more or less just looked like ports of games we've already seen (Yoshi's Wooly World and Kirby: Return to Dreamland).
Nintendo needs to step it up and bring more games to Switch (Super Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, a new GOOD Mario Party would all be fine).
Hopefully the next Nintendo Direct is awesome.

nintendawesome

skywake

@nintendawesome
Well sure, a lack of games that interest you on a gaming machine is a good reason not to get it. But you specifically said that this thread had made you glad you didn't get a Switch. And this thread has pretty much exclusively been about non-gaming features the Switch lacks near launch. Like video streaming and so on.

If it was a thread about games people wouldn't be saying that the "Nintendo fanboys" are using the "same tired arguments" that were used to defend the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U lacking DVD playback. I wouldn't be posting graphs showing that DVD player ownership had already peaked by around 2005 meaning the Wii not having it wasn't much of a loss. I don't think anyone mentioned Zelda at all until your post. It's just been people saying people like me were blind fanboys for buying a gaming machine purely because it had games I liked.

I get that some platforms aren't appealing to some people. Hardware itself has no value if it doesn't have the games you want. I'm just genuinely curious about whether or not the Switch not having Netflix or Youtube yet factors into that decision at all. Especially for someone who, I would assume, can already access those services on other devices. It's just a super strange way to look at consoles that I don't understand.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

BigBadJohn

It's kicking off again.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Lethal

skywake wrote:

@nintendawesome
Quick question. Which features does it not have that make you think this and would you be able to use these features without the Switch. Because the main complaints in this thread about the Switch are:

• No Browser
  • No Netflix
  • No Youtube
  • No built-in remote (only HDMI CEC)
  • No Virtual Console

You're commenting on here so I assume you already have access to a web browser. And it's hard to think of many devices that would let you post on this forum and not also let you browse youtube and netflix. In terms of the TV remote well if you have a TV then you probably have a remote anyways. So is it just the Virtual Console being missing that this thread has highlighted? Genuinely curious how someone could read this thread and come to the conclusion that the OP made sense.

Don't forget not being able to message your friends.

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

skywake

@Lethal
Yes, lets list all of the things the Switch can't do yet that you can already do elsewhere. Because it's being able to do things you can already do that convinces people to buy hardware. Lets ignore entirely the fact that it's a portable console that for the first time rivals something newer than the PS2 in terms of spec.

I get that we want our hardware to be fully featured. I'll argue in favour of more features over not having them pretty much every time. But I don't understand how someone can be so upset that the Switch doesn't let you do video calls when typed by a person who currently has a phone in their pocket. IMO the only reasonable argument I've heard against the Wii U's services was about their clunky voice-chat solution. And I don't think that has been brought up in this thread yet either!

Edited on by skywake

rallydefault

@nintendawesome
Sounds like you're just someone who needs to wait a long time before buying any console. I don't think I've had a console since my original NES that had "enough" games from the get-go.

It had enough games because I was like three years old and couldn't afford to purchase my own lol So one game for Christmas and one game for my birthday was pretty much what I got.

rallydefault

skywake

rallydefault wrote:

It had enough games because I was like three years old and couldn't afford to purchase my own lol So one game for Christmas and one game for my birthday was pretty much what I got.

The standard rate kids used to get games. I was given a Gameboy for Christmas and was "regularly" getting GB games for about 7 years. Guess how many GB/GBC games I got? What a co-incidence, I had 13 games.

Edited on by skywake

Lethal

skywake wrote:

@Lethal
Yes, lets list all of the things the Switch can't do yet that you can already do elsewhere. Because it's being able to do things you can already do that convinces people to buy hardware. Lets ignore entirely the fact that it's a portable console that for the first time rivals something newer than the PS2 in terms of spec.

I get that we want our hardware to be fully featured. I'll argue in favour of more features over not having them pretty much every time. But I don't understand how someone can be so upset that the Switch doesn't let you do video calls when typed by a person who currently has a phone in their pocket. IMO the only reasonable argument I've heard against the Wii U's services was about their clunky voice-chat solution. And I don't think that has been brought up in this thread yet either!

There are far more things the Switch can't do compared to what it can do. More importantly, what it should do....

shadow-wolf

@skywake

I'm a Wii U owner who currently doesn't have a Switch, and probably won't get one until late next year due to the need to focus on school/work.

But even though I won't be getting one for a while, I agree with you. While I respect OP's post that he disliked the Switch, many of the reasons cited are simply things that will eventually come. There are concerns with all new consoles — yes there is no Virtual Console, no media apps, no internet browser, etc., but no one has yet mentioned how Nintendo prioritized stable online, lots of high-quality games (even if some are ports — good games are still good games), a fast OS, making sure the switch from portable to TV and vice-versa is seamless, etc. In other words, Nintendo picked the right things to focus on. I don't understand why people are complaining about the lack of those things, considering they're almost certainly showing up at some point.

@davetheshrew
Have you tried using a Pro controller or using the Joy-Con grip? If HD rumble is bothering you in handheld mode you could try turning it off and see if that helps.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

skywake

Lethal wrote:

There are far more things the Switch can't do compared to what it can do. More importantly, what it should do....

Well ok, let me list the things the Switch can't do that other devices I still have can....

3DS:
Web browser + MiiVerse (but so slow it's not worth using)
Take photos and videos (but so low res it's not worth using)
Youtube and Netflix (Netflix is US only)

Wii U:
Web browser + MiiVerse
Youtube and Netflix
Video calls (limited to other Wii Us but so nobody to call)

PC:
Web browser (again, + MiiVerse)
Any video streaming service you can think of
Video calls with both Facebook and Skype
Playback of optical media except for BluRay because I only have a DVD-RW
Playback, storage and management of digital media
Just about anything else you can think of

Smartphone:
Web browser (again, + MiiVerse)
Any video streaming service you can think of
Video calls with both Facebook and Skype
Take photos and videos
Playback of digital media
Just about anything else you can think of

Chromecast:
Most streaming services

BluRay Player
Most streaming services
Playback of digital media
Playback of optical media

........... but if those devices can do those things why should I care that Switch can't? You keep going on about the things the Switch can't do. You're yet to explain why that's such a huge deal when most people can do that stuff elsewhere. This isn't the PS2 and DVD playback. This is "oh look, an mp3 player in my box of cornflakes"

Edited on by skywake

kkslider5552000

Can I also have an unnecessary thread every time I sell something? PLZ?! : 3333

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

LuckyLand

In my opinion actually there is one thing that Switch should do but it does not, let you manage your save games. For now it is not a really big problem for me, I don't like Breath of the wild that much, but once Skyrim will be available I would want to be able to regularly backup my saves. And I would prefer to do so manually and keep them myself rather than relying only on a cloud service from Nintedo (also I'm not going to pay any subscription so I guess cloud service won't be available for me). I would like to consider Switch as my main system to play Skyrim, I don't like that much to play games on pc, but if I can't have a backup of my saved games my Steam copy of the game will remain my "main" one I'm afraid...

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Lethal

skywake wrote:

........... but if those devices can do those things why should I care that Switch can't?

Why are you assuming people have all those devices? The Switch forces people to carry a separate device if they wish to watch videos, or search the web, ect. The Switch NEEDS to provide everything all the other portable devices offer. The Switch is much larger than every portable device out there outside of a tablet though a tablet is thinner and less bulky. Nintendo needs to make people choose to grab their Switch over their iPads, iPod Touch, 3DS, 2DS, Vita, ect.

Edited on by Lethal

rallydefault

@Lethal
Come on, man. EVERYONE has either a PC or some sort of tablet. Don't play that game.

(I'm not being sarcastic.)

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

BigBadJohn

@Lethal The Switch doesn't need to do anything yet. Granted it's not feature rich but what it does do it does exceptionally well. Currently it's selling more than Nintendo can make so why don't we just let Nintendo stick to their business plan and save our criticism for if it fails. Let's be honest most people carry their smartphone with them everywhere they go. Add the switch and you've got a combo to do everything.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

skywake

@Lethal
Why do you think they need to do that? The Switch does not replace my phone when I go out. When I'm home I have plenty of other options. Would the Switch be nice as a media device in some scenarios? Yes. But it'll never be my only option.

And yes, I'm assuming that people complaining about this have at least a smartphone and TV.

Edited on by skywake

KirbyTheVampire

Lethal wrote:

skywake wrote:

........... but if those devices can do those things why should I care that Switch can't?

Why are you assuming people have all those devices? The Switch forces people to carry a separate device if they wish to watch videos, or search the web, ect. The Switch NEEDS to provide everything all the other portable devices offer. The Switch is much larger than every portable device out there outside of a tablet though a tablet is thinner and less bulky. Nintendo needs to make people choose to grab their Switch over their iPads, iPod Touch, 3DS, 2DS, Vita, ect.

Why does it NEED to be anything? If Nintendo wants it to be a dedicated gaming platform and not a regular tablet that also plays games, what's wrong with that? 95% of Switch owners carry a smartphone around with them anyway.

KirbyTheVampire

Lethal

skywake wrote:

@Lethal
Why do you think they need to do that?

I already explained why. Not everyone is an adult with a phone. I have a Switch and my kid already said they want to take the iPad on the plane instead of the Switch when we go to Florida. I asked her why? She said because the iPad has YouTube and Minecraft.

Look outside of your own box and you will see there are people out there with limited options. Nintendo needs to update the Switch with everything the other portable devices already have.

So going back to the original post of this topic, I can see exactly why he would want to sell his Switch.

No YouTube
No Netflix
No Web Browser
No Messenger

Edited on by Lethal

rallydefault

@Lethal
The problem is that his (and most of our) "box" is the majority of the entertainment market. The VAST majority. Teenagers and upward that have their own smartphone/tablet on top of any kind of console.

Of COURSE there are going to be anecdotal exceptions such as you just provided with your kid. But unfortunately, man, your kid is part of a minority of "consumers" (if you can even consider a dependent a consumer) that Nintendo and other companies really aren't targeting (at ;east with the Switch - how many Switch commercials have you seen entirely populated by 6 year-olds or whatever close age? zero).

It's like anything in life. You're never gonna please 'em all. If you're someone who's not pleased, like you and the OP, then sell the thing and move on to greener pastures and post to some other forum about how much more amazing your life has been since you sold your Switch. Otherwise, don't get so worked up over the reality that media apps and the like seem to be nowhere high on Nintendo's priority list right now. And frankly, as a gamer, I'm pretty fine with that if it means the kind of game releases we've been seeing so far. I'll use my dang iPad or phone to watch Youtube on the go if I absolutely need my fix of whatever eccentric Youtuber I'm watching lately.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

Lethal wrote:

skywake wrote:

@Lethal
Why do you think they need to do that?

I already explained why. Not everyone is an adult with a phone. I have a Switch and my kid already said they want to take the iPad on the plane instead of the Switch when we go to Florida. I asked her why? She said because the iPad has YouTube and Minecraft.

Look outside of your own box and you will see there are people out there with limited options. Nintendo needs to update the Switch with everything the other portable devices already have

Again, why does it need to have there thing. Your kid has both. Nintendo has already got their sale and you kid still has access to YouTube. What's the issue?

If your point is that you didn't bring the Switch with you? Well OK. But I have to wonder how many kids would say the reverse if they had a game on Switch they were obsessed with.

Frankly, you're on the internet trying to prove a point and "my kid has both" is the best argument you can come up with for why the Switch desperately needs YouTube. Limited options? Yeah, you just gave an example of how that's not even true for kids

Edited on by skywake

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.