Forums

Topic: almost ready to sell my switch

Posts 121 to 140 of 376

BigBadJohn

Crono1973 wrote:

@BigBadJohn Earlier you said that a premium price is defined by how many people are willing to pay the asking price. Now you are backtracking. Few people were willing to pay Nintendo's premium price for the Wii U and the same was true for the $250 price tag on the 3DS. Nintendo does usually attempt to charge a premium price and whether or not is sticks depends on how many are willing to buy it. They weren't willing to drop the price of the Wii U like they did the 3DS and they were unable to make it a success.

The comparison to iPhones is just moving the goal post, we aren't talking about install base and if we were, NIntendo would still be below that of Sony and Microsoft. Finally: Comparing hardware to hardware, just the hardware. Is the Switch worth $300 when it's competition (which comes with a HDD and a Blu Ray Player) is $250?

I never backtrack. Even when I am blatantly wrong I will continue to argue from an increasingly shaky stand point. Actually if you take a gander at what I said you'll see I never defined what a premium was and was instead asking you what constitutes a premium. The point I was making was things are only worth what people are willing to pay. And you've given me a great example; the 3DS. It launched at a "Premium" that consumers were not willing to pay and it struggled. They reduced it to a much more reasonable price and it sold. This is quite a basic concept. I can go over it again if you're still struggling.

And It was you who was comparing hardware to hardware. I have never mentioned any other console. The comparison only works when you are talking about two products that are broadly the same for example comparing Xbox and PS4. Obviously there are lots of things you can do on a PS4 that you cant on a Switch but then there are also lots you can do on a switch that you can't on PS4. How you value those features is personal preference.

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Crono1973

@rallydefault You look pretty silly pointing out that damn near everything has multimedia apps and a disc player except Nintendo products. You know how many devices you need hooked up to play games and watch Netflix (or play a disc) if you are not using a Nintendo device? ONE. Yeah, you look pretty silly but you are on Nintendo Life so few will call you out for it.

Edited on by Crono1973

Crono1973

NEStalgia

@Crono1973 hdds are slow. Blu rays are slower. Hdds are unreliable. Hdds are EXTREMELY unreliable on a mobile device. ANY motorized spinning device consumes tremendous battery power on a mobile device.

A mobile console can not and must not include mechanical spinning media. It is also a sad state of affairs the other consoles are still using them however. Pc gamers have been using SSDs for years.

As for value mobile is ALWAYS much more expensive than stationary. If switch were bit mobile, your perspective would carry more weight.

Your own position is best summarized that mobile tech does not interest you, thus switch had less value to you than other consoles. That's fine. See you on PushSquare. But you not liking a mobile console doesn't reduce its TREMENDOUS value for those that do.

NEStalgia

KirbyTheVampire

rallydefault wrote:

@crimsoncavalier
Lol come on, man - you just shot yourself in the foot. You try to call his car analogy "disingenuous," but then you type something hyperbolic like having "8 devices" hooked up to your TV to play media? Try two, dude. Switch and WHATEVER ELSE YOU WANT BECAUSE MOST LIKELY IT WILL PLAY ANY AND ALL MEDIA.

Xbox 360
Xbox One
PS3
PS4
Firestick
Chromecast
MERELY HAVING A SMART TV
etc.

You just lost. And you looked pretty silly.

Can confirm. My 5-6 year old PS3 can do everything that people whining for Switch media apps are asking for, not to mention my PS4 and tablet and computer, among other things. You'd basically have to have been living under a rock for the past decade to not have a device that can be used to watch Netflix or YouTube or browse the web on at this point.

That's not to say Nintendo shouldn't get Netflix and YouTube and such on the Switch, but if they don't, it really doesn't matter at all, because who doesn't have at least 1 device that can do all of that already? And besides, if they want to make a dedicated gaming console, that's their right to do so. That's the reason 99.99999% of people buy consoles, anyway.

KirbyTheVampire

BigBadJohn

@KirbyTheVampire Your time will come. You will face the same Evil, and you will defeat it.

SW-5512-0541-9236

BigBadJohn

Crono1973 wrote:

@rallydefault You look pretty silly pointing out that damn near everything has multimedia apps and a disc player except Nintendo products. You know how many devices you need hooked up to play games and watch Netflix (or play a disc) if you are not using a Nintendo device? ONE. Yeah, you look pretty silly but you are on Nintendo Life so few will call you out for it.

If only modern television came with more than one HDMI socket.

@rallydefault You talk a lot of sense. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

SW-5512-0541-9236

rallydefault

Crono1973 wrote:

Good reach, brosefina

I applaud your effort at trying to characterize my post in a vacuum. Too bad for you I was responding to somebody else who was trying to say the sky isn't blue.

Hey, also - you seem a bit high strung. Earlier you typed to everyone to "go play a game" or something like that. Seems like you need to take your own advice.

(I've been playing back through the Assassin's Creed games for the summer, but if that's not your style, I do highly recommend Rainbow Six:Siege. It's come a long way since release.)

rallydefault

LuckyLand

"That's not to say Nintendo shouldn't get Netflix and YouTube and such on the Switch"
Yes, I really miss multimedia features too and when I saw the first screens of the Switch menu I noticed the album icon and I hoped that I could at least see photos (in fact, this is the thing I care the most about, not streaming services but the more the better as they say), but that doesn't prevent me from seeing how good the Switch is and how much value it deserves. I really hope they will put those features in the future, I can't wait for it but I would never sell Switch in the meantime because multimedia or not it is already a fantastic device full of interesting features and the latest Nintendo console that will made me able to play the latest Nintendo games, which are often some of the best, more entertaining and more interesting that you can find around.
I think that many of us who love Switch would like to have those multimedia features as well. I mean in the worst case one won't download them and it would be just like another game he's not interested into, I'm sure nobody is against it, but selling a console, a very good console that will run many awesome games, just because of a lack in multimedia apps is nonsense I think. Expecially since probably they will be released in the future.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

BigBadJohn

I feel I must apologise wholeheartedly to everyone on this forum. I know I have been passionate about the arguments I've been making but i feel I now have to come clean. Embarrassingly I've just found the cup holder on my Ferrari. There's a concealed carbon fibre tray that pops out when you push a button on the central console. I am so sorry.

SW-5512-0541-9236

BigBadJohn

@LuckyLand A fair and balanced opinion. Welcome to NintendoLife.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Lethal

There are more things missing on the Switch other than YouTube and Netflix. Can we even message our friends yet???? Thanks for letting me see when my friend comes online, shame I can't do anything about it....... This is a feature that also should have been available on day 1. These little missing features really makes it feel like the Switch was rushed out.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

skywake

crimsoncavalier wrote:

The fact that one could sit on the couch, finish playing a game, and immediately transfer over to Netflix and watch a show/movie is not analogous to driving a $100,000 vehicle and sipping coffee. The fact is that the Switch does not allow for that transition between game and other entertainment media.

As I said in another reply, if you have Netflix you have other devices that can play Netflix. It's not like hooking up a Switch makes all other devices connected to the TV unusable. You did a bit of hyperbole later on in this thread and said not everyone has "8 devices" hooked upto their TV. Try three. My main TV has a Chromecast, Blu-Ray and Switch. There's not a lot I can't do with just the Chromecast and Blu-Ray.

And before you call me arrogant for assuming people can all afford a Blu-Ray and Chromecast. They're not expensive. Especially not for someone who's willing to buy a Switch at launch, has an ongoing Netflix subscription and has a Wii U they desperately want a reason to sell. A new, brand name BluRay player in Australia is ~$100AU, Chromecast is ~$60AU. People are selling their Wii U for ~$400AU ATM

crimsoncavalier wrote:

There are a lot of extraneous features that I think consoles could do without, however many of those things have become industry standards. Telling people to "get a tablet" and quit whining about the Switch not having Netflix is pretty arrogant.

Would it be nice if the Switch had more features? Sure. But the Switch not having them doesn't mean you're locked out of them. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they have other devices fit for the task. The OP started the thread by literally saying they had a Wii U. To be blunt, I don't buy into the "hardships of the Switch" narrative.

For a start one of the complaints the OP made was that the Switch lacked a TV Remote. An odd complaint given that the Switch takes advantage of HDMI CEC. If I power on my Switch while it's docked by the Pro Controller? My TV will boot up and swap to the right input. If I'm playing in portable mode and want to go to the TV? I dock my Switch and my TV will boot up and swap to the right input. That part of the process is actually more convenient on the Switch.

Do we lose some of the other TV remote functionality? Sure. And that kinda sucks. But we gain the ability to take the game outside of the same room as the TV which IMO is cooler than not having to pick up the TV remote to change the volume. Especially given that with the Switch if I have the tablet in my hands I am not using the TV. Use some common sense please.

crimsoncavalier wrote:

This is the same tired argument in defense of Nintendo since the GameCube didn't read DVDs. Or the Wii. Or the Wii U. For some people it matters a lot. Some people don't want to have 8 different devices hooked up to their TV when one would do just fine.

It's the same argument because it's a decent argument. Look, for some of those consoles? It definitely would have been a handy feature at that time. The issue though is that for the times when it would have been handy it wasn't cheap. And when it was cheap it wasn't handy.

Quickly googling some statistics I found this chart:
Untitled
http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6250-obsolete-technology-no...

So the question is, would DVD playback have mattered on the Wii? Probably not. They were hitting the point where everyone who would ever want one already had one. Would BluRay playback have mattered on the Wii U? Probably not given BluRay never really took off like other media. Would DVD playback have mattered on the Gamecube? Yes. Definitely.

With the Switch it's the same sort of idea. Well for optical media at least, Netflix is a bit different. With Netflix it doesn't really matter because you don't need a special device to play it. Everything does Netflix. I think its fair to say that the Wii got in at the right point for Netflix to be somewhat of a selling point in the US. In 2017? Odds are if you care about Netflix you've worked out how to watch it already.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

davetheshrew

7 pages, with graphs, sources and more ....wow...well, still have the switch, still waiting for stuff but 3.0.0 gave me a little more hope for things to come. Great read btw, thanks for all the posts, including the ones taking the piss out of me (not really)

davetheshrew

rallydefault

@davetheshrew
Lol - no problemo. I always loved that expression you just used, too. (I'm American, and it makes me chuckle.)

But yea, being an early adopter for most things you're kinda signing yourself up for being a guinea pig. Doesn't matter if it's this stuff or a car or a new menu item at Taco Bell (clear your schedule for the next day lol): it ain't gonna be anywhere near perfect.

And it may give you explosive indigestion.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

StuTwo

BigBadJohn wrote:

I feel I must apologise wholeheartedly to everyone on this forum. I know I have been passionate about the arguments I've been making but i feel I now have to come clean. Embarrassingly I've just found the cup holder on my Ferrari. There's a concealed carbon fibre tray that pops out when you push a button on the central console. I am so sorry.

But you have to press an actual button. If Xbox let you control your TV then there's no excuse for a premium car, in 2017, requiring you to press old fashioned mechanical buttons.

On topic - I'm thinking of selling my Gulf Stream jet because it doesn't have a swimming pool and I can't dock it in the harbour in Monaco like I'd be able to with all of the other luxury super yacht brands...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

BigBadJohn

@StuTwo Wanna swap it for a Ferrari hardly used? It doesn't have a CD player but the cup holder is fantastic!

Edited on by BigBadJohn

SW-5512-0541-9236

Filth_Element

I was so happy with my Switch before I read this thread. Now I realise how subpar it is and that even the immense joy I have experienced with it so far has no value if it can't stream Netflix or browse the Internet.
In fact at one point during play I resorted to an online guide for BOTW. I still have nightmares of that pause screen and having to reach into my pocket (my pocket! 😱😪) for my phone to access the guide. Damn you Nintendo why would you abuse me like this....
This thread sucks I can't believe it's still going. Sell your Switch cheap please and I'll buy it for the missus thanks.

Some of Mario Odyssey is seriously giving heart palpitations.... that plumber is trying to kill me!

skywake

davetheshrew wrote:

7 pages, with graphs, sources and more ....wow...well, still have the switch, still waiting for stuff but 3.0.0 gave me a little more hope for things to come. Great read btw, thanks for all the posts, including the ones taking the piss out of me (not really)

Well if you're going to call someone full of it the least you can do is post a graph with sources. That way when they say "well that's just your opinion" you can say "get stuffed, I have a graph".

nintendawesome

Wow, this thread makes me glad I didn't get a Switch yet.
I'll be getting it next year when there's hopefully new features, more games, and maybe a lower price.

nintendawesome

skywake

@nintendawesome
Quick question. Which features does it not have that make you think this and would you be able to use these features without the Switch. Because the main complaints in this thread about the Switch are:

• No Browser
  • No Netflix
  • No Youtube
  • No built-in remote (only HDMI CEC)
  • No Virtual Console

You're commenting on here so I assume you already have access to a web browser. And it's hard to think of many devices that would let you post on this forum and not also let you browse youtube and netflix. In terms of the TV remote well if you have a TV then you probably have a remote anyways. So is it just the Virtual Console being missing that this thread has highlighted? Genuinely curious how someone could read this thread and come to the conclusion that the OP made sense.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.