Forums

Topic: Zelda's Wii U-Turn to NX

Posts 101 to 120 of 641

CaterpillarGuy59

NO NO NO NO NO. I haven't read any of this discussion, but NOOOOOOOOOOO!

If you like goofballs, then you've found the right person

~ Currently playing: Pokémon Legends: Arceus (Switch), Monster Hunter: World (PS4), Banjo Kazooie (N64 via NSO)

~ Currently watching: The Book of Boba Fett, Link Click, Kaguya-Sama: Love is War, Horimiya

Switch Friend Code: SW-4969-1374-0104 | 3DS Friend Code: 4742-6966-5355

IceClimbers

@skywake: Definitely like that quote from Iwata. Summarizes exactly what's wrong with Nintendo's online services. Thank god they're being fixed (for the most part at least).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Therad

SCAR wrote:

1. Wii U is current PowerPC hardware that doesn't need a successor

Current PowerPC? Current? They are on the Power6, last time I checked Power8 was out. Also, when it comes to gaming, it is mostly the architecture of the graphics chip that is important. And it is missing many features of newer graphics chips, graphics chips found in the competition. And it has to drive 2 screens at a time.

Also, it has less to do with the architecture of the consoles and more to do with perception and value. Wii U haven't scored well on those measurements by consumers. Let's face it, the Wii U is a flop for Nintendo. There is no way to spin it. This is why 3rd parties isn't on the console.

SCAR wrote:

2. Nintendo doesn't have their Nintendo Account in order, so moving to a new console w/o that makes no sense

It will be on the next console. You don't need to be a genius to realize that it will be integrated into it.

SCAR wrote:

3. New 3DS just came out, and there doesn't need to be another one

Let's assume the NX is an handheld and it will . New 3ds came out in oct-14. Let us assume NX will launch in december-16. So 2 years and 2 months after the launch it would be released.
The time-span between the launch of DSi and 3ds is 2 years and 3 months. Yeah, seems really unrealistic. People seems to forget that it is at an absolute minimum 6-8 months before it is released. It is not release next week.

When I saw the direct on my tv, it was painfully obvious that it needs a graphical overhaul. Even their old trick with a border around the screen doesn't save it. They are really behind the curve if you compare them with smartphones/tablets, even budget alternatives.

SCAR wrote:

4, Nintendo is still making profit off of their consoles, besides that current drop in their shares

They are not making that much profit on the consoles. And yet, people seems to think a third hardware to maintain is a good idea. Why not rather make a Wii U mini, which could be as cheap as the alleged micro console and also not be so much different from Wii U that it is troublesome to maintain?

And while we are at it, they would need to support 4 different platforms with games. Do you honestly believe they will be able to do that?

Therad

Octane

@skywake: I see, thanks! Didn't know if they actually said anything like that. You're right though, ''not a simple replacement'' ≠ ''not a replacement''.

SCAR wrote:

Octane
The situation is still different. They already basically said that it is a home console, but that doesn't mean a successor to Wii U. There's already a few reasons why it doesn't make sense to succeed it already:
1. Wii U is current PowerPC hardware that doesn't need a successor
2. Nintendo doesn't have their Nintendo Account in order, so moving to a new console w/o that makes no sense
3. New 3DS just came out, and there doesn't need to be another one
4, Nintendo is still making profit off of their consoles, besides that current drop in their shares

1. Not sure what you mean by that, but I'm sure third parties would like to see a different infrastructure.

2. You're assuming they cannot get that done before the launch of the NX, which may very well be in 2017. That means that Nintendo still has two years to get their account system up and running. Plenty of time if you ask me.

3. That doesn't change the fact that the 3DS is almost 5-year old hardware. It needs to be replaced sooner than later. The new 3DS has a more processing power, but Nintendo doesn't really seem to be taking advantage of that either. I believe the new 3DS only has two exclusives in a timespan of over a year. It's understandable, they don't want to split the userbase, but that only shows the need for a proper successor. It's like the GBA SP, which was released a year before the DS, or the GBA Micro, which launched even after the DS. Newer models of handheld systems aren't good indicators of when a successor will launch.

4. I think this goes for every hardware company. They always release newer products, despite the fact that the older product that will be replaced still makes them a profit. So again, not an indication that it won't replace any of the current systems.

SCAR wrote:

I think it is a micro console that will:
1. Cross-play VC, indies, etc. software
2. QoL, which they said they plan on releasing around the same time
3. Connect with smartphones and/or tablets via apps

Also, they aren't even having trouble supporting their consoles. The only people having trouble supporting Nintendo consoles, is 3rd parties, and it still doesn't have to do with PowerPC in general.

QOL is something that is completely unrelated to gaming, that most likely won't play a role in any of Nintendo's gaming consoles. We're left with a box that plays VC games and indie titles. I'm not sure how big the market is for a product like that. Microconsoles like the Ouya, Apple TV or Playstation TV haven't been popular at all and I doubt Nintendo is able to change that.

Octane

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
No. I meant that NX is the "bridge". It would still make sense for Nintendo to release a micro console that connects smartphones and tablets. We already have that feature in Xbox One with Smartglass, Chromecast, and Airplay, but it would still make sense to allow connection with those devices in NX hardware. Wii U and 3DS aren't designed to do that, unless it's through a network, so that's how it makes sense if they are wanting a stronger presence in the mobile market. I could just as easily not even care about, really, because I could still be more interested in Chromecast, but if connects other devices like that, people might be able to buy NX like this and still have Nintendo stuff, without buying the whole collection of systems.

@Therad
Actually, Wii U is more based off of PowerPC7, IRRC, which was current in 2011. We might as well say Xbox One, PS4, New 3DS and PS Vita are outdated, and they all needed to be like iPhone and release a new machine every year. That's not going to happen.
The consumer perception doesn't really matter in some cases. Look at Xbox One sales compared to PS4 sales, and it basically doesn't even matter that the only difference between Xbox One and PS4 is exclusives. That means the consumer perception doesn't even have anything to do with anything besides their preference. These companies aren't going to change those peoples' opinions.
It still doesn't make sense why they would integrate their account system on a new console, when they are already working on getting it on Wii U. So ya, it doesn't take a genius to realize that they need to get it working on Wii U, and that basically already makese thinking forward to a new console be pointless.
They don't care about competing with mobile hardware, because they already basically lost to Android. It's not their market, and even if they attempted, they would still have to be pouring money into it that they lack. That's why Android or iOS are already the winners, with Windows phone being the onky next alternative.

@Octane
I already addressed your post, and even Therad's, before. I've already made it clear multiple times how Wii U doesn't need to be replaced, and even added more about how things are in mobile markets. Nintendo isn't going to go x86 over to please companies. It still has to make sense to Nintendo about what their hardware is, otherwise things end up like how Sony is handling them, where your PS3 games won't run on PS4, and 1st party isn't happening on PS Vita anymore. That's why Sony got rid of company buildings, their PC sector, and hardly even supports their audio sector like they used to. On the other hand, Nintendo is adding devices, building mor buildins, and going into mobile. Whether anyone likes it or not, there are correlations between all these subjects, and that includes even what Apple and Google are doing.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

SCAR wrote:

@skywake
No. I meant that NX is the "bridge" [...]

Can I just stop you right here and point out that I knew you were saying this. I literally responded to you by saying that "the NX is not that bridge". Literally those words. I understand that you think the NX is the bridge, that is why I said that it is clearly not. It's why I quoted that huge block of text where Iwata is talking about bridging that gap with a service without once mentioning the NX. So why are you acting like I misunderstood you? Don't pretend that people aren't addressing your points. They are, and in very unambiguous language.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
Well, I would agree it's not the "bridge", but it still depends on what devices you care about. The service will connect with other hardware, including moblie devices, which is why I'm saying it probably might not even matter to Wii U and 3DS owners anyway.

That's why I was saying that I could just not care about NX and get a Chromecast. For all we know, people with Steambx might care about NX. That is why I'm connecting an Android device to my Xbox One, inatead of a Windows Phone.

Qwest

skywake

Just so everyone is keeping up with this:

SCAR wrote:

they already said it won't replace either 3DS OR Wii U

skywake wrote:

They're not saying it won't replace one or the other and they're not saying it will replace both. They're saying it's more than just a replacement because it's a dedicated platform with a brand new concept.

SCAR wrote:

your link backed my post, because it says they want to build a "bridge" between mobile and dedicated gaming hardware, which is basically what I said

skywake wrote:

It has nothing to do with the NX, the NX is not that bridge.

SCAR wrote:

No. I meant that NX is the "bridge".

skywake wrote:

I understand that you think the NX is the bridge, that is why I said that it is clearly not.

SCAR wrote:

Well, I would agree it's not the "bridge"

Untitled

Edited on by skywake

An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Therad

@SCAR: Nope. Wii U is based one Power6. It was rumored to be Power7, but as so often happen, it was a false rumor. Wii U isn't the power house you seem to think it is. It is comparable with ps3 and xbox 360. Slightly better graphic chip, but this is offset by needing to drive two screens and to lower the power consumption.

Vita is definitly outdated, since Sony doesn't release games for it anymore. And yes, new 3ds is already outdated. And I haven't said anything about releasing a new console each year, I am saying that 3ds (including new) is outdated and Wii U hasn't taken off. Xbox One isn't exactly flying of the shelves, but it is still doing better than Wii U. Trying to change consumers perception of the Wii U has proven difficult for Nintendo.

It makes perfect sense for them to integrate their brand new account system for their next console. It would be moronic not to do it. People are expecting things to be connected nowadays. Making it work on Wii U won't take all that much time. Or do you think they will just create a new account system for the next console?

I find it fascinating that you are taking a quote out of context and spin a big theory about a micro console. And then you say that isn't something you are interested in yourself. Who wants to buy this alleged micro-console that only have vc? And no, people who would buy a steambox have no interest in a micro console from Nintendo. A steambox from Nintendo, now that would be something I would want.

Therad

rallydefault

Hey, guys. Speaking of bridges, I have one in Brooklyn I can sell you...

rallydefault

JoyBoy

Haha, some of these arguments turn out very funny.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
I hope you know what I meant, about mixing devices. That's how the "bridge" could vary. That's why I mentioned Smartglass and Microsoft running it through the apps on Android. It's still more likely that it is a micro console, or even if it is a console with more tech inside, it's probably not for graphics.

@Therad
Dude, Power8 is 2014, and Wii U is 2011 CUSTOM PowerPC, so that isn't even relevant. 3rd parties can barely support any current PowerPC, because otherwise we would have more AAA titles on Wii U. I know 100% that that is the main reason why Wii U isn't being supported as much, without flatout saying they need to go x86; otherwise, the whole discussion about it makes zero sense. We might as well say Xbox One and PS4 are out of date as 2012 machines to 2015 PCs and need to release another console. I shouldn't have to even explain why that's BS.

If you think it is comparible to PS3 and Xbox 360, specs wise, besides the PowerPC architecture, than we need to end the discussion immediately. Wii U has a GPGPU and enhanced tri-core, compared to Xbox 360's GPU. That literally outpowers the Xbox 360 by 2:1. LITERALLY, and PS3's cell doesn't even matter anymore. 3rd parties have just barely gotten consistent PS3 maxed level graphics from Xbox One and PS4, as it is, and now we are saying hardware is outdated? Puhlease, bro. Nuff said.

EDIT: It doesn't matter whether I'm interested in it or not. That still doesn't change what I think of it.
EDIT2: Also, if you don't understand how a micro console would work, then please write a letter to Amazon and tell them to trash Kindle Fire TV. You might as well write a letter to Sony that PS Vita TV is trash. Oh ya, write a letter to Roku, too. I'm sure they'll care about your letters by shredding them, then they will meet and laugh about you wanting a steambox from Nintendo, because Valve already made it, and you should go buy it.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

DefHalan

Not to be that guy, but you guys might want to continue the conversation in a different thread. it is getting pretty off topic and we have other topics to talk about what the NX might possibly be.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

I agree. Saying Zelda U should be on NX, instead of Wii U, already ignores everything Nintendo said, instead of rumors from people on a forum. That's all there is to say, and that was on page 1.

Qwest

LzWinky

I don't think there's anything wrong with discussion about possibilities. It's possible for Zelda U to be a launch title for the NX.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

SCAR wrote:

I hope you know what I meant, about mixing devices. That's how the "bridge" could vary. That's why I mentioned Smartglass and Microsoft running it through the apps on Android. It's still more likely that it is a micro console, or even if it is a console with more tech inside, it's probably not for graphics.

All we know about the NX is that it's a piece of "dedicated gaming hardware". Why release such a device if it's not going to kick Nintendo's hardware a bit further down the street? Why bother with such a device if it's not doing something that 3DS or Wii U can't? I'm sorry, but you're wrong when you say that Wii U and 3DS couldn't possibly get replacement. You're also wrong when you take what has been said well out of context.

The "bridge" is not the NX and it is not a device. The bridge between all of Nintendo's products is an set of services. We know this because they've spelled it out for us as plain as day. Of all the things we know of Nintendo's strategy this is one thing we can be pretty much 100% certain about. I understand perfectly what you mean but that's why I think you're dead wrong.
Untitled

SCAR wrote:

I agree. Saying Zelda U should be on NX, instead of Wii U, already ignores everything Nintendo said, instead of rumors from people on a forum. That's all there is to say, and that was on page 1.

I've said in this thread already that I don't think Zelda U will launch on NX. The issue I have with your rants is that you are completely discrediting any sensible argument people might have had along those lines. You can't run around accusing people of ignoring what Nintendo has said when in this thread you are the only one doing it on a grand scale.

I'm personally of the view that whatever the NX is it's the successor to either the 3DS or the Wii U. If it's a Wii U successor then of course it's possible that Zelda U could appear on it. That said, I don't buy this theory because of Occam's razor. I think we all know what the simplest theory is. So the burden of proof is on those who want to suggest that something else is happening here. As of yet they haven't put up a convincing argument. Of course it could eventuate but a lot of things have to be true about the NX before then. If one of them isn't? Then this doesn't work.

Edited on by skywake

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
I'm not saying NX won't be able to do something Wii U and 3DS can't. I was saying to begin with, that it would only do SOME of the same things, otherwise it would do QoL or whatever else. That means you didn't understand what I originally said, and got mixed up in my explanation of the reasons I was trying to give that it won't succeed the Wii U or 3DS, like many people thought.

I already understood the "bridge". The only thing I was saying is that NX might connect directly to smartphones and tablets through the NX hardware, which is part of the "bridge". I still know it's more understandable than saying it's a successor, because other we wouldn't see the Wii U and 3DS is the chart. That's where I think everyone got mixed up.

Qwest

skywake

SCAR wrote:

I'm not saying NX won't be able to do something Wii U and 3DS can't. I was saying to begin with, that it would only do SOME of the same things, otherwise it would do QoL or whatever else. That means you didn't understand what I originally said, and got mixed up in my explanation of the reasons I was trying to give that it won't succeed the Wii U or 3DS, like many people thought.

You're talking in circles. Frankly I don't think you want to understand my criticisms of your hair-brained theory. What I'm saying is that the NX, whatever it is, has to be able to do something that the Wii U and/or 3DS can't. The device your describing doesn't do that. You are trying to will this vague idea into something that can but are yet to explain how it can. What you're talking about is a device that is underneath the Wii U, a device that literally does less than the Wii U can do.

And the only reason you're saying this is because you don't want new hardware.

SCAR wrote:

I already understood the "bridge". The only thing I was saying is that NX might connect directly to smartphones and tablets through the NX hardware, which is part of the "bridge". I still know it's more understandable than saying it's a successor, because other we wouldn't see the Wii U and 3DS is the chart. That's where I think everyone got mixed up.

If the NX is something special in relation to this service then why is it on-par with the 3DS and Wii U. I'll tell you why they're all on there, they're all on there because the bridge is a service. The Wii U and 3DS also connect to that service alongside the NX and other devices. There's nothing stopping the 3DS and in particular the Wii U from using this new service. The Wii U and 3DS are on there because this service is launching before the NX. They don't need to release a specialised piece of hardware for this service to function.

Edited on by skywake

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
What? I said it would do some of the same things, and whatever the new concept was. That IS understanding that it will do something that Wii U and 3DS can't, but that also doesn't mean it will replace them. The QoL stuff is a new concept, and all this stuff was announced at the same time. For all we know, it's like Google glass, then you have the QoL stuff. Even that still makes more sense than thinking it's a successor to Wii U or 3DS.

The "bridge" applies to all the devices, so I don't even get why we would discussing it when this thread is still about NX.
I never said NX was launching the "bridge". I was saying that smartphones and tablets will probably connect directly to the hardware and that still has to do with it. The eShop and Miiverse are already paving way for the "bridge".

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

skywake

SCAR wrote:

What? I said it would do some of the same things, and whatever the new concept was. That IS understanding that it will do something that Wii U and 3DS can't, but that also doesn't mean it will replace them. The QoL stuff is a new concept, and all this stuff was announced at the same time. For all we know, it's like Google glass, then you have the QoL stuff. Even that still makes more sense than thinking it's a successor to Wii U or 3DS.

All we know about it is that it's a dedicated piece of gaming hardware. We also know that game developers have their hands on development kits. What you're describing doesn't fit what we know about the NX so far. And again, I believe the only reason you're clinging to this theory despite the evidence is because you don't want either the Wii U or 3DS to be replaced.

To put it simply a new piece of gaming hardware is going to replace one of their existing pieces of gaming hardware. Especially given that it's going to be launching late in the cycle of whatever system it's brushing up against. I don't buy this "something else that replaces neither but I can't describe" hypothesis.

SCAR wrote:

The "bridge" applies to all the devices, so I don't even get why we would discussing it when this thread is still about NX. I never said NX was launching the "bridge". I was saying that smartphones and tablets will probably connect directly to the hardware and that still has to do with it. The eShop and Miiverse are already paving way for the "bridge".

You were the one who brought up the idea of the NX being a bridge device. And when I questioned that you responded by literally saying "NX is the bridge". All because you are trying to argue that Zelda U can't be on the NX because the NX couldn't possibly be a device that will run Zelda U. That's the reason we're talking about the NX being a bridge. You are the reason we're talking about this.

I've said a few times in this thread that I don't think Zelda U is likely to come to the NX. But what you're doing is undermining that argument by throwing in the crazy. So please stop, you're running in circles.

Edited on by skywake

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.