Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 70,011

Grumblevolcano

@Octane The Sega 32X is the first thing I think of regarding external add-ons that improve the system's capabilities.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

dtjive wrote:

Also in general the concept of a "special idea" is quite daunting. When was the last time that Nintendo had an idea that actually worked? The WiiU second screen has been a failure, 3d underwhelming (and for me doesn't work and hurts my head), the wii's motion controls whilst a commercial success isn't necessarily viewed as a success in terms of gaming.

As others have said this silence can only work against them imo. They are going to inevitably either do one of two (or both) things: 1) reach a point where the hype for the console cannot be matched; 2) alienate consumers who fear that the console is going to have another intrusive and not very practical gimmick

Gee, I've never heard this opinion before

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Nintensity

The SCD probably won't come out anytime soon since most people don't have very fast Internet service yet and part of the patent had it working like a cloud server.

I'm starting to think that idea Miyamoto is talking about is related to Nintendo's patent and augmented reality more and more. It also reminds me of this demo this person used with a wiimote and a sensor for head tracking. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

They can implement this effect for both the portable device and the home console that will use the same game cartridges. A simple wearable head tracking sensor that works with a camera for your console or a camera in your portable.

Edited on by Nintensity

Nintensity

DylanMcGrann

@Nintensity I agree that some form of "augmented reality" could be the card Nintendo's keeping to their chest.

It also reminds me of the headset Falco uses in the Star Fox anime Nintendo produced. Some people jokingly said that would be Nintendo's gimmick with the NX, but I think something like that is possible. More than just movement, the tech exists for an eye display and a camera to track eye movement. The only problem to solve there is cost, but the applications in a video game would be great. Just imagine using your own eye to target in a shooter for instance.

I think a headset would be too expensive and wouldn't attract a lot of the Wii audience they lost, but Nintendo seems to be planning something we don't exactly expect, and an advanced augmented reality would be pretty novel.

DylanMcGrann

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner | Twitter:

WebHead

Shareholder meeting going on. Not kinking tweet yet but nx still on track for March.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

skywake

Miyamoto also said this:
"We're also researching VR, so we have the core technology. Long play sessions are an issue. We want to release something that can be played for long periods, carries value, and is affordable. We want parents to feel at ease. Peoples' reactions at #E3 were good, but... (Redacted)"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bolt_Strike

NintyFan wrote:

Miyamoto said at the shareholder meeting that they didn't reveal NX at E3 because they were "worried about imitators" if they released "info too early."

http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-76th-ann...

What is Microsoft and Sony even going to put together in 9 months? For that matter, will they even care what Nintendo is doing?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

What is Microsoft and Sony even going to put together in 9 months? For that matter, will they even care what Nintendo is doing?

It depends on what it is. As for whether or not they care well... history would say yes

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Therad

AR could be a quite nice addition. Most games (all?) have some sort of overlay with information, having it in front of your eyes would be quite immersive. It would also be quite easy to disable through software if people don't want it. Add a bit of head tracking, and you can have a cheap VR-like experience, without having a helmet that shut out other people in the room.

Regarding having a add-on computing device; if they have decided on that approach, they might as well just have a slot where you could put it. No real reason (except maybe size) to have it externally. This would give NX users the flexibility of PCs, but with the ease of consoles.

Therad

DefHalan

@Therad That AR headset idea, isn't that what the Holo-lens can do?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Therad

Well, sort of. But I was thinking a bit less and more tuned for gaming.

Therad

erv

One of the things it sure is going to be is affordable.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

WebHead

@DefHalan I have a feeling whatever this new idea is revolves around a tech that's readily available and relatively cheap but has never been applied to gaming before.

WebHead

GracefulGazelle

I think the NX will be revealed in either late September or early October. It will probably be in the format of a Nintendo Direct, but labeled differently. With a title like the Nintendo Reveal Event. There will probably be somewhere along the lines of 5 or 6 first party games announced for the launch window with trailers. Third Party partnerships if they exist will also be shown.

Titles Expected to be Announced
◾Retro Studios( New IP, Franchise Reboot, or Metroid)
◾Pikmin 4
◾An Original Idea that is announced for the Consoles launch(ex. Luigi's Mansion- Gamecube,
Wii Sports- Wii, Nintendo Land- Wii U)
◾A Mario Sports Title(Preferably Baseball or Football/Soccer)
◾Animal Crossing
◾Mario Kart 9

No Idea on what it could actually be though.

GracefulGazelle

Nintendo Network ID: Marioman21 | Twitter:

WebHead

Yeah I'm expecting a September reveal, perfect month to reveal it.

Nintendo must really think nx will be the next wii.

WebHead

FragRed

@TICGS A Nintendo like Direct for the reveal of brand new hardware concerns me quite a lot. It worked well enough for the New 3DS because that was a revised piece of hardware not something that's not been seen before and is, likely, going to include some new feature/gimmick.

Right now I think Nintendo's biggest problems is messaging and marketing. These are the two key areas they are really going to require substantial thought and investment to give themselves a fighting chance.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Nintensity

@DylanMcGrann And like that report Skywake posted, they already have the core technology, which some may argue stems as far back as the Wii. And such technology like that demonstration I posted is cheaper than a VR headset and most people can play for long periods of time without feeling disoriented like what Miyamoto stated.

That Falco headset is a good example. It looks lightweight, and it is simple enough for head tracking.

Edited on by Nintensity

Nintensity

WebHead

At this point the only realistic "new way to play possibilities" that make sense to me that aren't hybrid or VR are gaze tracking, AR or force feedback. Whatever the "new idea" is is most likely the mystery tech Nintendo acquired for $100 million back in 2014.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

GracefulGazelle

@FragRed I agree. I am just saying that is what I expect. I honestly hope they announce it at either the Tokyo Game Show or EGX. It would probably be better if they did that. Or if they do do a direct style they should do it right before both of those events and bring the NX to those events and show it off. Either way would probably work pretty well for press.

GracefulGazelle

Nintendo Network ID: Marioman21 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic