Forums

Topic: 2016 Nintendo Directs Discussion - September 1st 3DS Direct Confirmed!

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,779

VelvetElvis

I'll get more specific in other threads, but I thought this Direct delivered pretty hard — and this is coming from someone who probably won't buy most of the games covered (in fact, my stupidly backlogged ass is pretty happy that there's a four-month gap between Xenoblade Chronicles X and Twilight Princess HD). Pacing wise, it was one of the best yet; the info kept coming, they never dwelled on anything for too long, they glossed over the "mandatory" items (like Amiibo Festival, Mario Tennis) real quick, packed the whole 45 minutes with an excessive amount of content, and bookended the presentation with an opener that everyone wanted and a closer that no one predicted. I certainly missed Mr. Iwata's presence, but I'm glad Bill Trinen headed this one up in the states — I think he's more charismatic and watchable than Reggie. Would love to see the Directs open up to more Treehouse staff in the future.

Anyway, lots of high points, smiles and surprises for me, and I imagine I'd be even more chuffed were I a big Pokemon fan. It's been a bit of a slog for Nintendo fans since E3 (especially in the U.S.), but this presentation reminded why I enjoy the company so much.

VelvetElvis

Nicolai

It was kind of a specialized Direct. If you don't care about Cloud, you're not too interested in another Zelda remake, and have never played a Dragon Quest game, you're probably not going to find a whole lot of things to get hyped about. Not everyone plays Splatoon, and not too many people are done with TriForce Heroes and looking for more content. The reactions I see here are mixed, and it's usually because some say nothing was shown, while others say something cool is happening with their favorite franchise. But we didn't get any Mario game, and we got a very specific SSB character. There weren't any wide-reaching reveals; Nintendo only just fell short in showing a variety that covered everyone's interest.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

DekuOnion

Looks like Mario Kart 8 is done. I suppose more content would be a fitting reveal for the Game Awards, but it feels like Nintendo has moved on from Mario Kart and is putting their focus elsewhere.

Currently Playing: SMITE, ROTTR, Halo 5: Guardians (XB1), Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 (3DS)

whodatninja

CrazyOtto wrote:

I bolded all of my correct predictions.

CrazyOtto wrote:

This is my final prediction list for tommorow's Nintendo Direct.

My Nintendo Direct Predictions:

WII U GAMES FEATURED

• Star Fox Zero (Worldwide)
  • Pokken Tournament (Worldwide)
  • Lost Reavers (Worldwide)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Worldwide)
  • Project Giant Robot (Worldwide)
  • Project Guard (Worldwide)
  • Genei Ibun Roku #FE details (Worldwide)
  • Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Worldwide)
  • Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival (Worldwide)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X (Outside of Japan)
  • Devil's Third (North America)
  • NES Remix Pack (Europe)
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked (Europe)
  • Ducktales Remastered (Japan)
  • Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Worldwide, previously unannounced)
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising HD (Worldwide, previously unannounced)
  • Indie games (Worldwide)

3DS GAMES FEATURED

• Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (Worldwide)
  • Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Worldwide)
  • Hyrule Warriors Legends (Worldwide)
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force (Worldwide)
  • Project X Zone 2 (Worldwide)
  • Adventure of Valkyrie: Legend of the Key of Time with Xiamou (Worldwide)
  • Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice (Worldwide)
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final (Worldwide)
  • Nintendo Presents: New Style Boutique 2 - Fashion Forward (Outside of Japan with a "Style Savvy" title for North America)
  • Picross 3D 2 (Outside of Japan)
  • Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon (Outside of Japan)
  • Bravely Second: End Layer (Outside of Japan)
  • Disney Magical World 2 (Outside of Japan)
  • Final Fantasy Explorers (Outside of Japan)
  • Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale (Outside of Japan)
  • Rhythm Tengoku/Heaven 3DS (Outside of Japan with a new title)
  • Dr. Kawashima's Devilish Brain Training: Can You Stay Focused? (Europe)
  • Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold: The Fafnir Knight (Europe)
  • Scribblenauts Unmasked (Europe)
  • Yo-Kai Watch (Europe)
  • Monster Hunter X (Japan)
  • Tetris Ultimate (Japan)
  • Clubhouse Games Expanded (Worldwide, previously unannounced)
  • 3D Power Drift, 3D Puyo Puyo 2, and 3D Master System Gallery (Worldwide, previously unannounced separate releases of games on a Japan-only compilation)
  • Indie games (Worldwide)

OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS

• A calendar that shows all of the major releases up to the end of March 2016 is revealed
  • More Wii games come to the Wii U eShop in all regions
  • Rodea the Sky Soldier details with a Wii U eShop release of the Wii version
  • Mario Party 10 update adds support for more Amiibos
  • Super Mario Amiibos of Rosalina, Wario, Donkey Kong, Waluigi, Daisy, Toadette, Spike, and Bowser Jr. are revealed
  • Smash Amiibos of Lucas, Roy, and Ryu revealed
  • Super Mario Maker update adds more Amiibo costumes
  • Standard New Nintendo 3DS gets a standalone release date for North America
  • Nintendo Anime Channel comes to North America
  • 3DS and Wii U both get updates that add the ability to take screenshots of any game while suspended in the home menu
  • Wii U gets a multimedia app for photos, sound, and video
  • Flipnote Studio 3D is announced to come to the 3DS eShop for all 3DS users worldwide
  • More Wii U and 3DS bundles are announced
  • Nintendo Selects for both Wii U and 3DS games in North America
  • Turbografx-16 games come to the Wii U VC outside of Japan
  • More details on "My Nintendo" and "Miitomo"

They didn't talk about Genei Ibun Roku #FE at all...

Edit: Oh I guess they did in the Japanese Direct

Edited on by whodatninja

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Blast

@Nicolai: LMAO. If someone hasn't played a Dragon Quest game then they need to fix that.... badly.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Blast

@OlicityBlows: Lmao you are so wrong. Sooooo wrong. Evolve is the biggest money making rip off in gaming right now. Fire Emblem: Fates even gives a option to buy all 3 experiences for just $80.00. Gimme a break. You're yelling for no reason.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

LzWinky

OlicityBlows wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

OlicityBlows wrote:

Fire Emblem: The Sellout Continues.

rolls eyes forever

The series has clearly sold out. Even though I actually like Awakening, it has sent the franchise down the wrong path due to its mainstream success, i.e. selling out. After Nirvana had surprising mainstream success with Nevermind, they released In Utero, an album so raw and repulsive (but ultimately better) that they were accused of intentionally recording a radio unfriendly album to shed those new "fans". Obviously Intelligent Systems would have to be crazier than Kurt Cobain to do the equivalent of that, especially considering how poorly Radiant Dawn performed, but they didn't have to make a game that was even more mainstream friendly (the PC way of saying selling out).

@GamecubeMan: I haven't followed the game closely because I was in blackout mode to avoid spoilers and then avoid mode due to the stupid weapon triangle, unlimited weapon uses, phoenix mode, and the marriage and pair-up systems returning (I was glad they added gay marriages though) but it's spilt into three to sell more copies. It could've easily been one game where you choose a side in the game, not at the store.

If anyone wants to be annoyed by me more, tag me on Wednesday because I've got to get back to focusing on my college work.

Well the other option was sticking to the franchises' roots and making it die. Heck, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn actually did poorly in Japan

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

cookiex

Whitewatermoose wrote:

NintyMan wrote:

I thought it was strange that Minecraft and Project Guard weren't in the Direct.

I thought someone in here said Project Guard was canceled?

You're talking about Giant Robot. Guard was still listed for this year as of the last financial briefing.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Nicolai

@Whitewatermoose: The only reason it would be announced during the Smash Direct is if the blocky avatar dude was becoming a Smash character. Maybe at the Game Awards, though.

I've never heard of Project Guard being cancelled officially, but it seems like it's been forgotten, considering we had a 2015 release date for it. I still like to bring up my humorous theory that the demos were only created to show that Miyamoto still works on things at Nintendo other than banjo practice and making movies, and there won't actually be a release of them.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

GamecubeMan

@OlicityBlows: So your saying that just because a creative group changes their approach to appeal to a larger market they are sellouts? This is simply a smart move to adapt to change. Also the marraige system is not entirely new to the series. I admit the artstyle is completely different and could appeal to the anime dating sim crowd but regardless the studio is trying to apply to a larger audience. Regardless, the gameplay is the same if not better than it has ever been before.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

Octane

@Whitewatermoose: @Nicolai: Platinum Games is co-developing Project Guard. I'm not sure if it will make it in time, but it's probably coming sometime in the future. I doubt they would've put that much effort into the game if it was just a demo to show that Miyamoto is still making games.

Octane

Nicolai

Octane wrote:

@Whitewatermoose: @Nicolai: Platinum Games is co-developing Project Guard. I'm not sure if it will make it in time, but it's probably coming sometime in the future. I doubt they would've put that much effort into the game if it was just a demo to show that Miyamoto is still making games.

Well, that's why I said that the notion of the games being just for show is merely a joke. I didn't know Platinum was co-developing it, though.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

cookiex

Bit late on this, but here's how my bingo card turned out:

Untitled

I left out the Iwata tribute cause it seemed more like an acknowledgment of his passing and a thank you for the fan community's support than an actual tribute. I wouldn't have scored bingo either way, so...

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Bolt_Strike

GamecubeMan wrote:

So your saying that just because a creative group changes their approach to appeal to a larger market they are sellouts?

That's pretty much the definition of selling out.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Nicolai

Bolt_Strike wrote:

GamecubeMan wrote:

So your saying that just because a creative group changes their approach to appeal to a larger market they are sellouts?

That's pretty much the definition of selling out.

They're not exactly unrelated, but they're not the same thing. Selling-out means to do something for money regardless of your audience, regardless of passion or drive. Sometimes when you're going for a different audience, well, you're going for a different audience. It can still have drive behind it. As for money, well, that's behind almost everything in some way, shape, or form.

Got married.

DefHalan

@cookiex: Does Pokemon Picross not count as a new game that isn't twilight princess hd?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

WebHead

It was a solid direct. Served its purpose. I suppose it's probably the last one for the year. I'm thinking a late January direct next time to go over 3ds and Wii U for the rest of the year, mainly spring titles.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

LzWinky

Selling out or not, Fire Emblem needed a face lift to keep going. Yes, some of the new additions are unnecessary to some, but there is still an audience for it.

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DefHalan

WebHead wrote:

It was a solid direct. Served its purpose. I suppose it's probably the last one for the year. I'm thinking a late January direct next time to go over 3ds and Wii U for the rest of the year, mainly spring titles.

they already announced the next Direct in December, it will be focusing on Smash Bros

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

WebHead

@DefHalan: Should''ve specified, i mean a general purpose direct. Looking forward to the smash direct. but yeah I don't think there'll be anymore general directs this year.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.