Forums

Topic: What is a "Fanboy"?

Posts 121 to 140 of 171

Auracle

@Morphtroid
If Nintendo was bought out and continued to make games exactly how they used to (which I find unlikely), the described reaction would be considered fanboyish. If someone said that now, it would be slightly more justified, since we aren't sure how being bought out by Apple would affect Nintendo. They would simply be acting overprotective. At least, that's the way I see it.

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

Hokori

CanisWolfred wrote:

^I don't see how that analogy works...

Even if Nintendo was free to make games doesn't mean apple or Microsoft wouldn't try to add there own perks

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Hokori

The_Other_M wrote:

@Morphtroid
If Nintendo was bought out and continued to make games exactly how they used to (which I find unlikely), the described reaction would be considered fanboyish. If someone said that now, it would be slightly more justified, since we aren't sure how being bought out by Apple would affect Nintendo. They would simply be acting overprotective. At least, that's the way I see it.

Exactly if one loves something, they would want what's best for them, and who's to say being bought out would help, it could harm

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Auracle

Happy_Mask wrote:

This argument has kinda run dry.

I don't believe this was ever an argument. We are simply discussing ideas. If you are not interested in it, then you do not have to continue participating. I hope that doesn't sound rude to you.

-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

CanisWolfred

HarmoKnight wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

^I don't see how that analogy works...

Even if Nintendo was free to make games doesn't mean apple or Microsoft wouldn't try to add there own perks

And....that's a bad thing...how?

I think this is exactly where Waltz was coming from.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Hokori

^so if Microsoft said they didn't want Mario to be a platformer anymore and only be FPS then that's good?

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Eel

HarmoKnight wrote:

Exactly if one loves something, they would want what's best for them, and who's to say being bought out would help, it could harm

That's exactly what Waltz meant, the fanboy is arrogant enough to think s/he knows what is best for a series/company, when in reality they have no idea.
That's why, when <company/series> does something that fanboy is not ok with, it will most likely enter an offended status.

It's like telling that girl you mentioned "Don't date that guy, he's not good enough for you".
That's pretty much like telling her "I know what's better for you and you must listen to me", when in reality you have no idea of what's going to happen.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Happy_Mask

My god, all these analogies are hurting my brain... @_@

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

CanisWolfred

HarmoKnight wrote:

^so if Microsoft said they didn't want Mario to be a platformer anymore and only be FPS then that's good?

How do you know that would happen? Why does that even make sense in your mind, or even seems at all plausible?

(Yes, I'm basically asking the same question 3 different ways)

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Eel

Happy_Mask wrote:

My god, all these analogies are hurting my brain... @_@

It's like Voldemort's idea that mixing muggles with mages is a bad thing for the race!

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Hokori

Morphtroid wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

That's exactly what Waltz meant, the fanboy is arrogant enough to think s/he knows what is best for a series/company, when in reality they have no idea.
That's why, when <company/series> does something that fanboy is not ok with, it will most likely enter an offended status.

It's like telling that girl you mentioned "Don't date that guy, he's not good enough for you".
That's pretty much like telling her "I know what's better for you and you must listen to me", when in reality you have no idea of what's going to happen.

Well considering Iwata said they arnt even thinking of making apps, I believe that they also think being bought out is a bad thing, so right now it like saying to the girl you like who wants to go out with you, but you tell them to go out with someone else just to see how it goes

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Auracle

Morphtroid wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

I see your point here. However, following this mindset, anyone who says anything about Nintendo business wise is an arrogant fanboy. For example, the recent Wii U advertising campaign Nintendo released has been met with critical remarks. People are saying that the commercials were bad and that Nintendo should have made them differently. They may be right, but they could be written off as arrogant fanboys since they claimed to know what to do better than Nintendo. Am I making sense?

Hokori

Also a fanboy could think being bought out is a good thing, because waltz used to say he WANTS apple to buy nintendo, but wouldn't want apple to be bought out by Nintendo (I kno won't happen, but still think what if?)

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

CanisWolfred

HarmoKnight wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

Well considering Iwata said they arnt even thinking of making apps, I believe that they also think being bought out is a bad thing, so right now it like saying to the girl you like who wants to go out with you, but you tell them to go out with someone else just to see how it goes

More like they're trying to protect their brands so people have to buy their platforms to get their games, since that's the only way they make money.
Which I guess means your right, but it could also mean that being bought out by a bigger company could be a huge benefit to them, allowing them to exapand their audience and experiment with more franchises instead of playing it safe, because they'd no longer be shackled by the need for console sales.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Happy_Mask

Nobody is making sense anymore! It's like a car crash, it's horrible, but I can't look away! D:

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

CanisWolfred

Happy_Mask wrote:

Nobody is making sense anymore! It's like a car crash, it's horrible, but I can't look away! D:

Seriously, dude, it's not funny anymore. Just stop. If you have nothing to contribute, go find another thread to post in. And if you really want to read, but have nothing to say, just read, and then say nothing. You can do that, you know.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Hokori

Happy_Mask wrote:

Sorry I'm trying to explain it the best I can... But no use

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

Auracle

CanisWolfred wrote:

Happy_Mask wrote:

Seriously, dude, it's not funny anymore. Just stop. If you have nothing to contribute, go find another thread to post in. And if you really want to read, but have nothing to say, just read, and then say nothing. You can do that, you know.

Thank you!

CanisWolfred

Irony being that I just realized I've made 5 posts to another topic that contributed absolutely nothing. Guess I'll stop over there.

The_Other_M wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

I see your point here. However, following this mindset, anyone who says anything about Nintendo business wise is an arrogant fanboy. For example, the recent Wii U advertising campaign Nintendo released has been met with critical remarks. People are saying that the commercials were bad and that Nintendo should have made them differently. They may be right, but they could be written off as arrogant fanboys since they claimed to know what to do better than Nintendo. Am I making sense?

I'd say you'd be right in making that assumption, at least that they're being arrogant. I think it's safe to assume most of those "Armchair experts" don't know how to run a business that has lasted over 100 years now. Still, I'd happily be arrogant from time to time. That's fully within my, and everyone else rights, as far as I know.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Auracle

CanisWolfred wrote:

The_Other_M wrote:

Morphtroid wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

I'd say you'd be right in making that assumption, at least that they're being arrogant. I think it's safe to assume most of those "Armchair experts" don't know how to run a business that has lasted over 100 years now. Still, I'd happily be arrogant from time to time. That's fully within my, and everyone else rights, as far as I know.

Exactly. This is my point. None of us have the know-how to run a business. We can only speculate, which is perfectly fine. I just don't think it's fair to write off some people as fanboys for this. Granted, they may be wrong, but we can kindly correct them instead of flaming them.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.