Forums

Topic: What is a "Fanboy"?

Posts 101 to 120 of 171

Auracle

jkshaz wrote:

It is indeed unfortunate that the person I wanted to discuss this topic with has, for whatever reason, been rendered unable to discuss it with me.

Yeah. The whole reason I created this thread was to understand what he meant by what he was saying. Too bad.

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

MAB

Throwing 'boy' at the end of a word came about from the 90's stoner era. Movieboy, coneboy, mummiesboy, gameboy, SNESSYboy (that last one always annoyed my Super Nintendo loving mate) anyway this fashion of adding a word to the end of another word all started in the 80's with 'head' and was utilised for a laugh or to upset someone during a half serious discussion when the listener was not really interested in the topic. Bonghead, dumbhead, lamehead, 'whatever the discussion was about'head, fanboyhead the same can be said for putting 'girl' at the end of everything none of it has a real meaning except just to be stupid.

MAB

FOREST_RANGER

The_Other_M wrote:

Yes. This is the crux of the issue. Waltz had said that a fanboy isn't a real fan. I wanted to know what he meant by that. However, I also wanted the terms defined, so I asked for everyone's definition...

@The_Other_M And that is what I did, I gave you my best definition of fanboy:

Someone who is in any way obsessed with something; someone who has a connection to something.

My unusal definition is definitely not what many users had expect, so I tried my best to justify it. I apologize if I posted it late into the discussion, but I was interested in what was being talked about.

@jkshaz Yes, every word is a socially constructed word. However, I assume that fanboy had originated from the internet. Thus, I'm weary of comfortably embracing the word because I feel that it can be easily molded and interpreted differently, which wouldn't have been too problematic if it didn't carry some unfriendly connotations. This matters to me because I try to be as neutral as I can to avoid any potential disputes. But more importantly, I'm doing all of this because...we are all human beings. After taking a basic Anthropology class, I've come to appreciate diversity

@Topic Yes, I think a fanboy is a real fan. They love their beloved company because:
1. They can relate to them in some way
2. The company is serving their interests

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

Eel

What waltzelf meant when he said a fanboy is not a real fan is:

Imaginary Example:
Nintendo has terrible financial troubles and is bought by Apple/Microsoft, this will allow them to continue producing games just like before, but with a new logo next to theirs.
Fanboy reaction: "Nintendo is dead, I won't buy any of their products again, they're evil now" (add capslocks and errors).

Something like that.

For a real example, search "Bayonetta 2".

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Hokori

^only IF they end up being exactly the same under apple/microsofts control though, they may have to listen to the company controlling them
Also Bayonetta 2 was finished before Nintendo bought it so they are just publishing it, where if Nintendo was bought out apple or Microsoft would have a hand in the next Mario or Zelda game

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Auracle

@FOREST_RANGER
No need for apologies. I'm glad that you were involved and enjoyed hearing your thoughts. Also, I agree that a fanboy is a fan. They are not the typical fan because of a sense of entitlement or obsessive interest in something or what not. While they are generally seen in a negative light, they are still part of the fanbase, for better or for worse.

-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

MAB

@Morphtroid That is a statement to bring about forum unrest and not a real meaning just your run of the mill basic trollism antics

MAB

CanisWolfred

HarmoKnight wrote:

^only IF they end up being exactly the same under apple/microsofts control though, they may have to listen to the company controlling them
Also Bayonetta 2 was finished before Nintendo bought it so they are just publishing it, where if Nintendo was bought out apple or Microsoft would have a hand in the next Mario or Zelda game

First off, do what he says right now and actually look it up. You'll see what he means.

Second of all, I don't think you understood the point of his example at all. It was illustrating how their love of something was so easily swayed. It's the equivalent of longer liking a girl just because she changed her hair. That's shallow and reactional, and most of all it shows that you never really loved her in the first place.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Throwing 'boy' at the end of a word came about from the 90's stoner era. Movieboy, coneboy, mummiesboy, gameboy, SNESSYboy (that last one always annoyed my Super Nintendo loving mate) anyway this fashion of adding a word to the end of another word all started in the 80's with 'head' and was utilised for a laugh or to upset someone during a half serious discussion when the listener was not really interested in the topic. Bonghead, dumbhead, lamehead, 'whatever the discussion was about'head, fanboyhead the same can be said for putting 'girl' at the end of everything none of it has a real meaning except just to be stupid.

Actually, the word Fanboy goes as far back as 1919. But nice try.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

MAB

Fangirlboy

MAB

Auracle

Morphtroid wrote:

What waltzelf meant when he said a fanboy is not a real fan is:

Imaginary Example:
Nintendo has terrible financial troubles and is bought by Apple/Microsoft, this will allow them to continue producing games just like before, but with a new logo next to theirs.
Fanboy reaction: "Nintendo is dead, I won't buy any of their products again, they're evil now" (add capslocks and errors).

Something like that.

For a real example, search "Bayonetta 2".

I understand what he meant. However, I don't believe that such a reaction means that a person is not a real fan. They may not be a very devoted fan or a very discerning fan, but they are still a fan.

Hokori

CanisWolfred wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

First off, do what he says right now and actually look it up. You'll see what he means.

Second of all, I don't think you understood the point of his example at all. It was illustrating how their love of something was so easily swayed. It's the equivalent of longer liking a girl just because she changed her hair. That's shallow and reactional, and most of all it shows that you never really loved her in the first place.

what about not liking a girl because she changed her attitude and what made her special on the inside? That's what I meant with Nintendo being bought out

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

MAB

CanisWolfred wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

Actually, the word Fanboy goes as far back as 1919. But nice try.

I remember those good old 1919 stoner days like it was yesterday

MAB

Eel

HarmoKnight wrote:

what about not liking a girl because she changed her attitude and what made her special on the inside? That's what I meant with Nintendo being bought out

That's why I made sure to add this to my example:

Morphtroid wrote:

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Hokori

Morphtroid wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

That's why I made sure to add this to my example:

Morphtroid wrote:

Or a girl you like going out with someone else who she doesn't deserve because she is too good for him?

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan
W...

FOREST_RANGER

@CanisWolfred You bring up a good point about the majority rules. Actually, I understood that I was being too picky about the subjectivity that it sounded unrealistic (I try to bring out a fleshed-out opinion in a short time, which still takes too much time), but you set light on what I was doing wrong :3

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

Happy_Mask

This argument has kinda run dry.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

CanisWolfred

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

@CanisWolfred You bring up a good point about the majority rules. Actually, I understood that I was being too picky about the subjectivity that it sounded unrealistic (I try to bring out a fleshed-out opinion in a short time, which still takes too much time), but you set light on what I was doing wrong :3

Pheewph, I was afraid you missed that post after I spent hours on it. ^_^

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.