Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,821 to 6,840 of 6,966

Ralizah

@iKhan You should play the 3DS remaster of MM. It makes some quality of life changes (including changing the way saving your game works so that you can do it more often and enabling motion controls for aiming) that sound like they'd make your experience a lot better. Also, the remastered version is just gorgeous.

Ralizah

Harmonie

@Nessjestic I'm the opposite, I really don't care for 2D Zelda games. I found them okay back in the early 00s and before when technical limitations necessitated them (GBA and before), but now they just feel so archaic to me. Especially now that Breath of the Wild is out.

2D games in general do nothing for me anymore. Like you get bored with 3D games, I get bored with 2D games. Trying to play a 2D platformer nowadays does absolutely nothing for me.

But I know Nintendo wasn't going to produce a 3D Zelda in this time, so if the LA remake makes other people happy then so be it. Nintendo is just boring me to death with their releases as of late. lol

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

iKhan

Harmonie wrote:

I'm the opposite, I really don't care for 2D Zelda games. I found them okay back in the early 00s and before when technical limitations necessitated them (GBA and before), but now they just feel so archaic to me. Especially now that Breath of the Wild is out.

2D games in general do nothing for me anymore. Like you get bored with 3D games, I get bored with 2D games. Trying to play a 2D platformer nowadays does absolutely nothing for me.

But I know Nintendo wasn't going to produce a 3D Zelda in this time, so if the LA remake makes other people happy then so be it. Nintendo is just boring me to death with their releases as of late. lol

I totally feel that. The only 2D Zelda game that really resonated with me was Oracle of Ages, because I'm a sucker for puzzles, and that game was just so damn clever with them.

I find the combat in 2D Zelda to be so goddamn clunky and unfun. I do still enjoy some 2D Platformers, but generally I pretty much need to be able to take them on the go, because I have very little interest in playing them for an extended period of time. Specifically 2D Mario games are one of my LEAST favorite Nintendo games that I've played. Mario's movement feels so smooth and natural in 3D, while controlling him in 3D feels like maneuvering a brick (not to mention control issues that really shouldn't exist on a modern controller)

Ralizah wrote:

You should play the 3DS remaster of MM. It makes some quality of life changes (including changing the way saving your game works so that you can do it more often and enabling motion controls for aiming) that sound like they'd make your experience a lot better. Also, the remastered version is just gorgeous.

@Ralizah
I would if I wasn't over halfway done with MM's N64 version. I'll get through this and maybe play the 3DS remake years down the line.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

Herachi

Wario Ware Gold was one of the best games of 2018. I always was a Wario Ware fan but this one really just pushed the best of the best and added so much extra stuff that I can wholeheartedly say that it is at least in my top 3 of 2018.

Herachi

My Nintendo: Herachi

Heavyarms55

I've recently felt more and more that the customizable/create-your-own main character in games heavily limits story telling and character interaction. I miss the days of fleshed out main characters in not only RPGs but in most genres. A recent couple examples of why: Pokemon Sun and Moon, and the more recent Daemon X Machina demo. In both of those, you have a lot of customization for your character, but it largely feels like it's not your story, and at times doesn't even feel like you are even there. You're just this vague nebula floating off to the side while everyone else talks and makes decisions. I think it's especially important in RPGs and fighting games, where memorable characters are what drive the stories and make the gameplay so iconic. Could you ever talk about Street Fighter without Ken and Ryu? Mortal Kombat without Sub-Zero and Scorpion? No one talks about the Dragonborn from Skyrim, but everyone remembers Cloud from Final Fantasy. Because we create the MC in Skyrim but Cloud was a defined character with his own, real personality that the story was told around.

On the other hand, games like Tales of Vesperia, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2 and even silent protagonist games like Iconoclasts and Breath of the Wild still present a lead character who really feels like the main character, the star. And I've come to prefer that much more than the Skyrim/Pokemon style of self insert character/story telling.

But I seem to be in a minority in this opinion, as most games these days seem to be opting for the "create-your-own" main character route.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Snaplocket

@Heavyarms55 Why not have both? A main character that is customizable and still the main character? Dragon Quest IX is a good example.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Anti-Matter

I really wish FF XI remade again in OFFLINE version.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Snaplocket

I think the next mainline Pokemon game should be a prequel.

Heavyarms55

@Snaplocket That can work, for things like character skills, armor and such. But I still prefer a character with a defined personality, written into the story. Much like Xenoblade Chronicles 1 where you could change up the equipment on your characters and their equipped skills to adapt a wide range of play-styles. But the characters remained themselves.

Feel free to add me

Snaplocket

@Heavyarms55 I personally think Xenoblade Chronicles X did it well and Link never had a defined personality nor did any of the Persona protagonists or Crono or Olimar.

As far as custom characters, I feel the recent Fire Emblem games did it best, especially Fates. Now Fates actual story had a BUCKET LOAD of other problems but that's besides the point.

Edited on by Snaplocket

CanisWolfred

@Heavyarms55 It's a stylistic choice, and which is better depends more on what you want from a game's story - do you want well-written character interactions & a dynamic main cast that play off of eachother? Or do you want a story where you, the player, have a noteable impact on the world? Where you feel like your character is yours to make, and their story is (at least implied to be) unique to your adventure? I'm not saying it's always done well, when games like Mass Effect 1-3 exist, I don't think it's fair to say that it's a limiting factor on storytelling, or at least, not anymore than things like the necessity for boss battles, gear, action sequences, etc. Sure, plenty of times it's used as an excuse to not put in the effort required to make it work, but then the issue is with lazy writing, not with the create-your-character protagoist.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred I adored ME 1-3 and thought they handled the delicate balancing act of character creation and story telling very well. But that is largely because the core story of Sheppard (I think that's how it was spelled) was the same no matter what else you changed. Man or women, merciful or a total jerk, who you chose to sleep with or not, the core story was still the same. The end result being a game with a ton of different details that can be changed without actually, radically changing the core idea. It was like the video game version of ordering a pizza, no matter what toppings you picked, you still ordered a pizza. That balancing act is a huge part of why I loved those games and still to this day want to see the full trilogy come to Switch and am still salty about only getting ME3 on Wii U.

Feel free to add me

Danksparce

Astral Chains doesn't look good in the slightest. Combat looks dull, graphics look uninspired, and Platinum has a very mixed track record so there's no reason for me to blindly support titles from them.

That being said, I'll still be looking at reviews on launch day to see if I'm wrong or not.

Former Mod.

Dank.

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

Buizel

@Heavyarms55 I agree, both in the storytelling aspect (as described), but also in design. I personally hate having to design my own character...I'd rather a professional did it for me! My own design will always look like trash in comparison.

Edited on by Buizel

Currently playing: Pokemon White (DS), Persona 4 Golden (PSVita), Transistor (Switch)

Heavyarms55

@Buizel Purely in visual terms, I really like customizable characters. Within the limits of a story frame. Again, I feel Mass Effect did it best with Sheppard. It was still Sheppard's story, and Sheppard had a pretty defined character. But you still had a lot of freedom with what you could do. But I do understand your point, and that's why I think it's good to have some preset/pre-designed options as well.

Feel free to add me

MegaSwitch

I think protagonists should both have there own personalities but still have lots of customisation. Because while I like characters with deep personalities, I also don't want to have to play as, balanced sword guy in every rpg.

MegaSwitch

MegaSwitch

I consider myself a big RayMan fan, it's one of my favorite game franchise's.
But I really don't like the first RayMan. According to one of the devs, the game wasn't play tested. And, oh boy does it show.

MegaSwitch

ReaderRagfish

@MegaSwitch I loved Rayman 1. A lot. Played it to about 70% completion without cheat codes as a teenager.

But the difficulty was pretty extreme, you can tell it was balanced by developers who were experts at their own game rather than having normal people play test it to see what they think. Takes practice for sure.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Der

Disney's Toontown Online was the definition of a grind.

Der

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic