Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,801 to 6,820 of 12,088

AshenLion

I didn't like Yooka-Laylee: The Impossible Lair. It reminds me more of New Super Mario Bros than the classic DKCs people compare it to (and I wasn't crazy about those games either, but they were still more fun and memorable than IL).

AshenLion

BabyYoda71

Super Mario Bros. the original is better than Super Mario Bros. 3

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Krull

@Zuljaras Only played one Shantae game - Half-Genie Hero - and I kind of see where you’re coming from. It was definitely not a real Metroidvania - being level-based rather than a single explorable world - but the fan service stuff is pretty meek. There’s some unnecessary, um, jiggle, but it’s pretty PG. It was decent, but not as good as Blaster Master Zero, despite the latter being based on a much older game.

@BabyYoshi65 Now THAT is an unpopular opinion! I mean, good on you, but what?!!

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

BabyYoda71

@Krull I don’t know, I’ve only ever played on NSO, but I think the nostalgia makes me like Super Mario Bros.

SMB3 is just okay and the original would probably also be okay if it weren’t the original.

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho. It’s off to work (from home) I go.

Dogorilla

I think I prefer the original SMB to 3 as well. Not sure why, I guess I just prefer the simplicity of it.

As for Shantae, I've only played Pirate's Curse but I enjoyed it, although the female characters could maybe do with a few more clothes on.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Wargoose

@Krull @Zuljaras I kinda agree, I like Metroidvanias but I just found the 2 Shantae games I've played to be a bit by the numbers. Just middle of the road, not bad by any means, but I just don't understand all the praise they get.

Wargoose

Ralizah

@Zuljaras Would it be accurate to say you haven't actually played any of the games? That's the impression I get from your post.

@Krull Half-Genie Hero is a linear platformer with some backtracking shoe-horned in. It's not a good entry in the series. And it's definitely not exploratory and open like other games in the series.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Zuljaras

@Ralizah I did pirate half-genie hero to try it out and I watched couple of let's plays after that. It did not last long as I already said. But the games are praised and that is why I list my opinion as unpopular.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Krull

@Ralizah I didn’t think Half-Genie Hero was a complete dud - it was fine. Unsatisfying for a Metroidvania fan, but a competent platformer. From the sounds of things, though, I’d enjoy Pirate’s Curse a lot more. Backlog permitting, I’d give Shantae another go.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Diddy64

Despite mi first game being Super Mario Bros, I actually enjoy the S. Mario Bros The Lost Levels (All Stars) more because of new things like the wind, the super trampoline (or whatever it is called XD) and level structure. I think that is because in Lost Levels, you have to be more careful instead of running constantly, which I did a lot in the first S. Mario game.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

JoeM103

@Krull so glad to see there's another soul out there that sees it the same way and it's not just that i'm dead inside and unable to enjoy a cute, chilled out game any more haha.

@MarioLover92 @HunterLeon @Dogorilla @Anti-Matter @Heavyarms55 @Wargoose
Thanks for sharing your reasons for enjoying the game. I still don't think its going to be for me but at least I feel that I understand the appeal a little better now which is nice. You never know, in about 50 or so years when people stop playing the game I may be able to borrow a friends copy and see what all the fuss is about.
Unfortunately having a family and all the other life's responsibilities that get in the way of gaming I have to ear mark money that's going toward the releases that I truly cant miss. Got to keep the boss happy! (Wife)

JoeM103

Switch Friend Code: SW-3487-3999-7859 | My Nintendo: Meadie

Heavyarms55

@JoeM103 I openly admit I am too selfish and glad I am single. But I respect your devotion to you family highly. Family does come first!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JoeM103

@Heavyarms55 I felt like that for ages mate but when my little boy came into the picture its a completely different story. When we found out the Mrs was pregnant my reaction was 'but I can't be a Dad, I still wear Mario socks!' Even though having kids does stop you having as much time for your hobbies its all so worth it. I wont share the photo just for digital privacy but I got an amazing one of him just after he was born cuddled up to my yoshi plush.

There's always time to change how you feel but on the other hand if you don't, that's cool too!
Thankyou for your kind words.

JoeM103

Switch Friend Code: SW-3487-3999-7859 | My Nintendo: Meadie

Xyphon22

I like that I can play Animal Crossing with my kids now, too. But I still laugh at remembering that I got the original on the Gamecube when I was in college. All of my roommates and friends laughed at me when I brought it back to the dorm, but within a week every time I came back to my room after a class or something, someone was in there playing it. Even college guys got addicted to it.

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

NEStalgia

I actually prefer Half-Genie Hero. It was a fun platformer. Pirate's Curse is a good game, but as a Metroidvania I never really got pulled into it. I think it had too many annoying platforming problems with enemy respawn to keep me wanting to traverse and explore enough. Metroid proper never had that problem. Platforming and combat were engaging to replay after respawn. Pirate's Curse has too many "oh good I made it to the top of that annoying platforming/bullet hell section........oh geeze now I have to do it again....and again....screw it, I'm loading Yoshi."

NEStalgia

Buizel

I absolutely loved Half-Genie Hero and 100%ed it. I've been unable to get into the original or Pirate's Curse, and I've not played Risky's Revenge.

Something about that game just gelled with me more than the others - maybe it's because it's more like level-based platformers? I was really surprised to learn after playing that it's quite a divisive title in the series.

At least 2'8".

AshenLion

I love the life sim genre but not Animal Crossing. I usually game at night before I go to bed, which is of course when most shops are closed. It's like a gacha game that's only playable during the day and punishes you for taking a break from it. Nah.

Edited on by AshenLion

AshenLion

Heavyarms55

@JoeM103 If somehow I got impossibly lucky enough to fall in love with a woman who would return that affection, I probably would be open to starting a family. But for one, I fully believe I will never be lucky enough to have that, and for another I'm not seeking it either.

All I want out of life is a comfortable enough job that can pay the bills with enough left over for my hobbies and although gaming and anime isn't super cheap - it's far cheaper than many other hobbies some people have. Like people who buy season tickets for sports teams, do boating or deal with sports cars or classic cars or motorcycles for example. My uncle spent more money on one sail boat than I've spent in my life... I think period. Maybe not quite if I count university. But only just.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic