Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,501 to 6,520 of 6,607

Ralizah

@Lito_eragordito The Zelda series hasn't been in a slump, though. Skyward Sword was still well-received, even if it became fashionable to hate on it afterward, and Breath of the Wild is the most acclaimed game in the series since Ocarina of Time, both critically and in terms of audience reception (not to mention sales).

@Yookatonic I enjoyed what I played of Yooka-Laylee. While it's not the return to form for 3D platforming everyone expected it to be, I also think the pendulum of public opinion swung way too hard in the other direction. It's a pretty decent game in its own right.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Yookatonic

CreamyDream wrote:

However, I can't shake the feeling that you're secretly a Playtonic employee...

Haha, that's a good one. I wish I were.

Glad to hear some more love for Yooka-Laylee around here.

Yookatonic

Lito_eragordito

@Ralizah I Remember a point when Skyward sword came out and some sites were saying it was better than Ocarina. (i get it gotta push the product).
But that game had a ton of problems.
The boss fights and dungeons were great but the game dragged, Motion controls, it was repeptative and not to metnion that it had a bug for a while that if you did a certain dungeon before another one it'd crash the gamed and mess up your save file.
Breath of the Wild had its moments and much better than Skyward but in my humble opinion it's overrated.

Lito_eragordito

Haywired

@Yookatonic
Shame. I've been holding out for a Yooka-Laylee physical release. It seems mad, given the game's style and heritage, if the Nintendo console is the one that doesn't get a physical version. I would've thought that'd be the flagship version.

Ralizah

@Lito_eragordito Sure, I get you. You prefer your more traditional Zelda experiences, and that's perfectly valid. But the series is not slumping by any conceivable metric. It's healthier than it has been since OoT: winning acclaim from both critics and audiences and breaking sales records.

You don't have to be a fan of the direction Nintendo is taking the series, though. Hopefully Nintendo releases new 2D games that will help to sate your desire for more traditional Zelda gameplay.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Vinny

I liked Crash: Wrath of Cortex. There were tons of "gimmick" levels (and the developers had an weird fetish for the sphere levels, I swear there were more than 10 of those levels), but I liked the normal ground levels. They reminded me of the original trilogy in a good way. Also I found the racing levels way more fun than in Crash 3.

The PS2 version of the game has awful loading times, from what I know its because it was released in a CD instead of a DVD like a PS2 game usually would be. The GC version of the game loads normally and runs smoothly though.

Edited on by Vinny

The years keep coming and they don't stop coming.

PSN: mrgomes2004

LuckyLand

I don't like competitive games. I like games because I use them for escapism so I don't need and I don't care about the challenge. Some challenge can be useful often because usually it make it easier to avoid most kind of games becoming boring too soon, but I'm absolutely not a competitive guy and I prefer the challenge to be rather low and enjoy everything else games have to offer.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Curlybobs

I really don't like Bayonetta 2. I really enjoyed Wonderful 101 and Nier Automata, I even had a laugh with Transformers Devastation, but I can't get on with Bayonetta, and I feel a bit bad about it - because it's such a big exclusive for Nintendo fans and I'm a big Nintendo fan. I put my copy on ebay last night, and I've started thinking maybe I should give it another try, but I've bought it on Wii U and Switch now and both times it's failed to capture me. I thought being able to play portable would help me get into it, but it hasn't. I find Bayonetta over sexualised without be sexy. I don't like the character design of Bayonetta or the demons she fights. I find the cut scenes with the wise guy gangster and that little boy very annoying. I don't even like her accent and the repetitive things she says during the action really grate on me - and I am English. I love the over the top scale of the game, but I can get that with Nier Automata and without the things that bug me.

Friend code: SW-4624-7969-8089

Snaplocket

I already stated this in the overhated games thread but I gotta repeat it because it's just that important.

Lunar Dragon Song - This has to be one of the most overhated games ever. People call it absolute trash when in reality it is one of the smartest and most intelligent JRPGs ever made. Simply put, this is the World Ends with You of turn-based RPGs. It's a very clever take on the series that points out the issues with the genre while simultaneously doing justice to its predecessors.
First up, let me just say that the cast of characters is one of my favorites in recent memory. Many fans complain that the cast is bland, unlikable and seem to change motives and personalities on a whim but those guys miss the fact that all those things are intentional. The main characters, Jian and Lucia (not the Lucia from Lunar 2 but a totally different one) are both boring characters with little personality but what I like about the game is that it doesn't try to hide the fact they're boring characters with little personality. So what if at the beginning of the game Jian only lightly hints he might have feelings for her only to suddenly be all "I LOVE HER!" when Lucia gets kidnapped (after the player collects a whole lot of valuable equipment for her)[/spoiler]. Don't you get it? ALL JRPG heroes have forced love interests that evolve in a totally unrealistic way. [spoiler] Also really love how Rufus (one of the games party members) doesn't join until over halfway through the game and then dies after just ONE dungeon, no one will ever see that coming.
Then there's the story which many critics complain is slowly paced and cliche is actually a smart, well-written take on the typical fantasy racism plot. All the beginning parts are completely necessary. The beginning where the opening text crawl explains the story, the first dungeon where the package is stolen by monsters, the trek through town to figure out where said monsters went, going to the dungeon and recovering said package, heading back to the town and entering a tournament, getting cursed and receiving help from the "TOTALLY NOT ACTUALLY A PRINCESS" cat-girl, getting said curse reversed, it might sound like a whole bunch of pointless junk until the plot finally gets going but trust me it's all necessary. I also love how it's the beastmen that are racist as apposed to the humans (even though that contradicts the previous games) even if it doesn't actually change anything. I also love the fact that you never actually like fight the main villain and instead fight his lackey (who has no personality).
Finally there's the gameplay, which just like everything else is misunderstood. A lot of players criticize many of the gameplay elements like running costing HP, the two separate reward modes (experience or items, not both), level scaling, being unable to target enemies, etc. but what those players fail to realize is that it's actually an indirect commentary at how JRPGs let you cheese the battles. By making running cost HP, it adds a strategic element where you have to choose whether or not you run faster to avoid enemies (granted it also drains in towns but you can just heal up so no big whoop). While it might seem like not being able to target enemies reduces the strategy, it actually increases it. Since you can't just pick your enemy you need to be careful when and where you fight battles. The separate modes is another thing that goes hand in hand with level scaling, since all enemies scale to your level, items are more valuable.
If I had to pick something that I didn't like, I thought the dialogue was kinda stilted and I really didn't like how the game portrayed text boxes. It's also annoying how limited your mages MP pools are (Lucia can only cast her basic healing spell once at the begging game). Otherwise, this is one of the smarted and most enjoyable RPGs I've ever played. If I had to give this game a score, it would have to be.......

A ZERO OUT OF TEN

Happy April Fool's Day.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

LuckyLand

Curlynob wrote:

I really don't like Bayonetta 2. I really enjoyed Wonderful 101 and Nier Automata, I even had a laugh with Transformers Devastation, but I can't get on with Bayonetta, and I feel a bit bad about it - because it's such a big exclusive for Nintendo fans and I'm a big Nintendo fan. I put my copy on ebay last night, and I've started thinking maybe I should give it another try, but I've bought it on Wii U and Switch now and both times it's failed to capture me. I thought being able to play portable would help me get into it, but it hasn't. I find Bayonetta over sexualised without be sexy. I don't like the character design of Bayonetta or the demons she fights. I find the cut scenes with the wise guy gangster and that little boy very annoying. I don't even like her accent and the repetitive things she says during the action really grate on me - and I am English. I love the over the top scale of the game, but I can get that with Nier Automata and without the things that bug me.

Me too. I don't even like other games from Kamiya and/or Platinum games either. I don't like Devil May Cry, I don't like Mad World, I don't like Vanquish... I just don't even try games by them anymore. Everybody loves them and everytime I just don't, after a while it is just pointless to try again. I never tried their Starfox game, this is the only one I could do an exception for since it is not really created by them, it is a Nintendo game and they just have been hired for the development.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

GameOtaku

Earthbound is not as good as all the hype would lead you to believe.

GameOtaku

kkslider5552000

GameOtaku wrote:

Earthbound is not as good as all the hype would lead you to believe.

to be fair, if you fully believe ALL the hyperbolic hype for a video game before playing it, you're kinda dumb

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Megas75

Killzone is a really boring franchise, I've tried to give this franchise so many chances and I've always dropped it quickly out of boredom, including franchise darling Killzone 2. I'm so glad Guerrilla Games went a different route with Horizon

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

CanisWolfred

LuckyLand wrote:

In my opinion Super Mario World is the worst 2D Mario game ever (except Super Mario 2 Jap / Lost levels probably)

I'd actually agree with you there. It's rougher around the edges than the others I've played, particularly in the controls department - something about it always felt off to me, and just so we're clear: It was my first 2D Mario game. Even after growing up with it, I still feel like the overall movement is looser than it needs to be. In addition, it's not as good at conveying info as previous Mario games, and there are a few sections that, while unique, felt like something that was meant to punish those who don't buy the strategy guides or read Nintendo Power (and don't have friends with access to these things). I'm thinking of those ghost houses and the...4th world? 5th world? The one where there are levels that loop until you find the right exit. They are the only ones that do that of course, you get no warnings or hints...it's just the wrong way to subvert expectations, IMO.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Pianist88

@GameOtaku Completely agree. I was very underwhelmed when I played it on WiiU the first time.

If you like piano and/or organ music:
https://youtu.be/9k8r2bSpcWE

Scrummer

Ocarina of Time isn't the greatest game of all time.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic