Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,481 to 6,500 of 12,088

Ralizah

@NotTelevision Personally, RE2make is sort of what I wish RE4 had been. It's a satisfying, visceral action game that doesn't sacrifice the game design choices that make great survival horror what it is. With that said, you're absolutely right that it's easier to go back and appreciate RE4 for the dumb fun it is now that Capcom has returned to its survival horror roots somewhat. Although I still need to play RE7. The first-person perspective put me off enough that I didn't buy it at launch, and I just sort of never... got around to it. I hear it's good, though.

I agree RE: Zelda. The series thoroughly exhausted ALttP's unique design philosophy over time. BotW was a brilliant turn insofar as it revitalized the series and recontextualized the idea of what an open world game could play like. With that said, future open world Zeldas can't lean as heavily on the elements of discovery and adventurous openness as BotW did, so I'm curious to see how the new formula evolves over time.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NEStalgia

@Heavyarms55 "I think cutting the Pokedex and moving toward a system of rotation new and old Pokemon was the correct choice for the series."

I, also, want to be doxed.

NEStalgia

XBontendo

I think Yoshi's Island on the SNES is overrated. It's art direction is charming to a point, but it lost a lot of the gameplay charm from the original SMW.

-the overworld exploration is missing
-levels are far too long
-The power-ups are far too infrequent and end up feeling forced.
-The fact that lives reset to 2 each time you boot up a save makes the minigames pointless
-The item inventory is irrelevant, as I never felt like it was of value to use anything

The one thing I will give it are the bosses. Truly amazing.

XBox/Steam/Epic: owendershot | Switch friend code: I don't remember, these codes are crazy, I'll check later.
Playstations are fine, but I don't have one.

kkslider5552000

XBontendo wrote:

-The item inventory is irrelevant, as I never felt like it was of value to use anything

Clearly, you've never tried to 100% levels. Consider yourself lucky

tbh, levels being too long is the only criticism that really makes a difference to a game being good. Like I love overworld exploration, one of the most underrated aspects of older platformers, but it is not vital to nearly any game either. And in fact Super Mario World has that stupid Choco Island thing where you need to beat a level in some arbitrary way the game doesn't bother to tell you if you want to play the rest of that world. What cryptic nonsense.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

iKhan

It blows my mind that SoulCalibur's fanbase is so much smaller than Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter.

I not usually a fan of watching video games, but SoulCalibur (any of the games honestly) is just so damn fun to watch with the variety of weapons and the use of 3D space.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Grumblevolcano

I think it's very rare that a franchise being annualized benefits that franchise and annual franchises along with the increased focus on microtransactions are probably going to lead to another gaming crash like in the 80s.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

XBontendo

@rallydefault I would say a solid "it depends".
I'm one of the weirdos that liked Final Fantasy XIII so overworld exploration is sort of game specific for me. In the case of Yoshi's Island, I felt the absense of overworld exploration. It added something special to SMB 3 & SMW, and I couldn't help but feel like a similar overworld would have made Yoshi's Island feel a little more whole.

XBox/Steam/Epic: owendershot | Switch friend code: I don't remember, these codes are crazy, I'll check later.

BrintaPap

I think that Nintendo should pay some publishers/studios for their games on the Switch. Even if they are somewhat older games. Some big AAA publishers are still scared/careful to bring their most beloved IP’s to the Switch. And yes this would be then a “exclusive” if possible, with remakes only though, even if it would be a remake/remaster.

I know some people will say that these company’s have enough money to do it themselves but they seem to have a reason to not do it.

Imagine having a specialized port made of Battlefield Bad Company 2, a great modern shooter on Switch, available on Switch only.

I think it would please many people still looking for a great FPS.
Or re-releases of Need for Speed Underground (2) and Most Wanted or Call of Duty Black Ops or Viewtiful Joe or Borderlands or Cyberpunk 2077 or Goldeneye.

BrintaPap

rallydefault

@XBontendo
I see. I would probably agree with your statement overall, but disagree with Yoshi's Island SNES in particular. I'm pretty old school when it comes to 2D Mario games, though. I'm good without an explorable overworld. The first however many games didn't have one, so I guess that kind of conditioned me to be ok without one. (I notice you mention SMB 3. I didn't really consider that "explorable," but if that's your bar, then I'm cool with that.)

rallydefault

XBontendo

@rallydefault My definition of '"Explorable" is loose, I'll give you that. I think maybe what I mean is freedom. In SMB 1 for example, you had the freedom to travel to various other worlds via pipes (even if that my be considered cheating) 3 allowed you the freedom to often choose which level to tackle next, giving the occasional road block of a locked door or other obstacle before reaching a given level. SMW took 3 to new hights. Where Yoshi's island follows the straight line approach of 2 (which I wasn't a huge fan of there, but the various characters at least left me feeling I had the freedom to choose HOW to approach a given level).

Not to say straight line is bad either. Still a huge fan of OG Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, you name it. Don't know why I don't care for it here truth be told. Thanks for the back and forth on it, though!

iKhan

KoekiieWoekiie wrote:

I think that Nintendo should pay some publishers/studios for their games on the Switch. Even if they are somewhat older games. Some big AAA publishers are still scared/careful to bring their most beloved IP’s to the Switch. And yes this would be then a “exclusive” if possible, with remakes only though, even if it would be a remake/remaster.

YES totally agree

Imagine having a specialized port made of Battlefield Bad Company 2, a great modern shooter on Switch, available on Switch only.

I think it would please many people still looking for a great FPS.
Or re-releases of Need for Speed Underground (2) and Most Wanted or Call of Duty Black Ops or Viewtiful Joe or Borderlands or Cyberpunk 2077 or Goldeneye.

oh...um, not those games. I want Injustice, the Batman Arkham games, Plants vs. Zombies, Nier: Automata, and SoulCalibur VI. Modern western gaming doesn't really appeal to me at all.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

It runs Doom. And buying Doom doesn't give EA money.

Clearly, Nintendo is already of whatever you're getting at.

(half-serious response)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chunkboi79

Toad Treasure Tracker is boring af and Tales of Vesperia is a cringefest with boring combat.

Chunkboi79

Anti-Matter

Pretty Princess Magical Coordinate (Switch) is my GOTY 2019, even much much better than any AAA 3rd party OMG Ultra HD Realistic Western games. 😁
VIVA girlie games !! 🤟🤟🤟

Anti-Matter

Maaryotyme

@Anti-Matter wow. I think your the winner of the unpopular opinion.
Where would you put this in your top 6. Would this kick animal crossing out of your top 6. So you didn’t like super Mario Maker 2, astral chain, d x m, luigis mansion 2

Edited on by Maaryotyme

Maaryotyme

Anti-Matter

@La-weejee
I do like Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi Mansion 3. They are also on my shopping list.
But, I have no interest at all with Astral chain, Daemon x Machina.

Anti-Matter

Maaryotyme

@Anti-Matter ok. But Pretty Princess Magical Coordinate (Switch) is not even out. Have you played it. Where do you put it in your top 6.

“even much much better than any AAA 3rd party OMG Ultra HD Realistic Western games.” Which western game are you talking about.

Maaryotyme

Anti-Matter

@La-weejee
"But Pretty Princess Magical Coordinate (Switch) is not even out."

I have experienced with their games (Nippon Columbia as the developer) on Japanese 3DS. I can tell the quality will be exactly like i have ever played on their other games due to their similarity. Pretty Princess looks like Party game with storyline and customization like Animal Crossing or Disney Magical World 3DS. It was already meet my expectation.

"Which western game are you talking about."

Those rated M / 18+ Western AAA 3rd party games.

Anti-Matter

jump

La-weejee wrote:

But Pretty Princess Magical Coordinate (Switch) is not even out.

This made me chuckle.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic