Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,461 to 6,480 of 6,612

Ralizah

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is arguably the best game on the Xbox 360, and I'd put it against most of Nintendo's best games.

DKC games are OK. Flashy, but they were still pretty solid platformers. I still wouldn't put them up against the best platformers of that gen, though, like Yoshi's Island or Rocket Knight Adventures.

I haven't played enough of Rare's N64 games to have an opinion on them, however.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

PikPi

I remember thinking viva piñata was gonna be a game I absolutely loved. But then I played it and found it didn't hold my attention at all. I enjoy it in theory. Of their 360 days though, yeah that has to be the best game they made from that era

PikPi

kkslider5552000

Out of every commonly stated opinion about BOTW, with the exception of weapon durability, all of them are accurate. Both positive and negative. Literally all bits of high praise or complaints you've seen about the game are correct on some level.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Snaplocket

CreamyDream wrote:

I think Octopath Traveler's art style is very unappealing and just different for the sake of being different without any thoughtful reasoning.
The sprites and the environments simply dont look like they mix well at all. I know "that's the point" but that doesnt change the fact that it doesnt mix well at all.

It's a cheap style gimmick

On one hand, this a totally fair opinion and I would really like a big budget HD version ala FF XV. On the flipside, I've seen enough 8-bit throwbacks and semi-low budget 3D JRPGs (Xenoblade 2, Tales series, Shining Resonance, YS VIII, Legend of Heroes franchise) that it makes for a nice change of pace. It reminds me of Four Swords Adventures and I kinda like the look but not crazy about it either.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

HappyAxiom

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Out of every commonly stated opinion about BOTW, with the exception of weapon durability, all of them are accurate. Both positive and negative. Literally all bits of high praise or complaints you've seen about the game are correct on some level.

Why make an exception for opinions about weapon durability? Just curious...

HappyAxiom

Yosheel

Probably because the game drowns you in weapons so them breaking is basically meaningless.

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarthNocturnal

While the durability system “works“, I dislike how none of the weapons feel special. Weapons and weapon upgrades felt like a milestone in prior games, and there's nothing in place to let you make a weapon feel more like it's yours (like in Skyrim; yeah, all weapons of the same type and material look the same, but yours is automatically more awesome, especially after you upgrade it and maybe give it an enchantment, plus it's own name).

I'd settle for weapons dulling (instead of breaking), and a smithing system that takes a few pages from the game's cooking system. Let you create your your own “Master Sword“.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

LuckyLand

In my opinion Super Mario World is the worst 2D Mario game ever (except Super Mario 2 Jap / Lost levels probably)

I totally agree with @DarthNocturnal about the weapons in Breath of the wild

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

DarthNocturnal

@CreamyDream

Why? What's wrong with it? I mean I know “crafting” is apparently a marketable thing which has kinda cheapened it.... but they already had us digging around for materials in Skyward Sword for gear upgrades. Might as well go all the way.

Yosheel

Assuming you can't craft a hook shot

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DarthNocturnal

Clawshot > Hookshot. I want to be Spider Link again.

@CreamyDream

I don't really have exactly how it'd work worked out in my head, aside from maybe borrowing some mechanics from cooking. Iron ore + ruby = fire sword? Add more iron for durability or attack? And hey, crafting alternate versions of old Zelda tools could be rad; craft a shock clawshot that can be used to connect power conduits, anyone?

kkslider5552000

HappyAxiom wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Because it misses the point of what the game was trying to with its variety of weapons that are easily found on enemies among other places.

Like, you can have a problem with it but you should have a problem with how the game handles weapons in general instead because in context of how it works and the game it is in, it was the right choice.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

DanteSolablood

@DarthNocturnal I'm pretty sure you can get a Zelda Mash Up pack for Minecraft Switch Edition... you can craft all the swords you like & all the moblins you like will spawn at night. Problem solved.

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

DanteSolablood

@DarthNocturnal Well, just download the Adventure Time Mash Up pack. You still get a blonde sword wielding hero.... plus you get a shapeshifting dog!

Yes, Adventure Time & Zelda are interchangeable... now THAT'S an unpopular gaming opinion!!

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

HappyAxiom

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Because it misses the point of what the game was trying to with its variety of weapons that are easily found on enemies among other places.

Like, you can have a problem with it but you should have a problem with how the game handles weapons in general instead because in context of how it works and the game it is in, it was the right choice.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly but let me tell you how I feel about BotW's weapon system: I HATE it. Breaking and switching weapons constantly isn't fun to me. It's the sole reason why I strongly dislike BotW.

HappyAxiom wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

The reason I asked you my previous question though is as follows. Liking or disliking something in a video game is always someone's opinion and you can't tell anyone they're wrong about it. You can disagree, but the only time you can say someone else's opinion is flat out wrong is when that opinion physically or mentally hurts other people. A weapons system in a video game is not one of those cases.

HappyAxiom

Haywired

Speaking of Breath of the Wild, I finally got round to playing it. Seeing as the general consensus seems to be that it's the best thing since sliced bread and my experience was not exactly in line with that, I thought it might be safer to put my impressions in here. I still thought it was a great game obviously, but for me, it's definitely not a 10/10. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Zelda games. Sadly, there were just too many instances that bored me or tested my patience that couldn't be ignored. After playing it, I am surprised by the blanket 10/10s and hype-frenzied "best game ever!" claims. Well actually, what am I saying... I'm not surprised at all, it's Zelda... The franchise has almost become deified by this point. It could literally just be a title screen and as long as it says Zelda, reviewers will give it automatic 10/10s because that's what they think they're supposed to do. Zelda reviews are more like sycophantic love-letters than actual pieces of journalism, so I knew going in not to fully trust them.

I won't go into all the positives about the game because that would be pretty banal and redundant by this point. For Breath of the Wild praise, please see: the rest of the internet. But a couple of things I did particularly like: 1. The world/scenery is absolutely stunning to look at (which is lucky as looking at scenery is like 90% of the game, ha). 2. While rewarding feelings in the game are too spaced out, finding the next Sheikah Tower, climbing it and unlocking the next section of the map is incredibly satisfying and rewarding. 3. The game ditched the Skyward Sword motion control scheme, thank God. 4. Paragliding is pretty awesome. As are those "entering the divine beast" sequences.

I guess the main issue for me was that I thought the map was too big. I get that it's "open world" and that's kind of the point, but I think they went a tad overboard and it really spoils the pacing of the game. There's just so much walking (and climbing). Progress (which I otherwise thought was quite cleverly done) feels painfully slow at times. It takes too long to get anywhere and too long between anything interesting or exciting happening. There are a few too many dull, repetitive, barren areas that walking/climbing through them all becomes tiresome. Some of the exploration is great, but it wears a little thin and too much of the game feels like an empty, tedious slog. Reducing the size of the map by maybe just 5-10% (or maybe just cutting one or two of the blander areas) would have made it a tighter and more enjoyable experience. As it is, Breath of the Wild feels like a normal Zelda game that's been stretched out too thin. It's like Ocarina of Time, if Ocarina of Time soley consisted of walking across Hyrule Field a billion times. Yes, kudos for breaking from the formula, but this formula kind of felt like: [field + lake + ruins + mountain + group of bokoblins] x 1000 = Breath of the Wild.

Also, while I didn't mind that there were only 4 "proper" dungeons, I didn't really enjoy them as much. At first I welcomed the new approach, it felt quite fresh, but instead of the nice, steady progression of a traditional Zelda dungeon; fighting enemies and solving puzzles based around that dungeon's unique item, they were more like; "Here's a load of random stuff, you figure it out". I mean, the Vah Naboris one was like being stuck in some sort of M.C. Escher nightmare (Vah Laborious more like!) Oh and I also had no idea you could shield-parry Guardian's laser beams, which would have made the last section a lot less frustrating...

I suppose in a nutshell; Breath of the Wild is certainly a very special and technically impressive game, but while I know it's not entirely fair to compare it to other Zelda games because they're trying to be something else here, I've got to be honest, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other Zelda games, and unlike those other Zeldas, it's one I can't see myself ever wanting to play again.

Yookatonic

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'd love everyone on these forums to like me, so I hope my first post doesn't jeopardize that.

I LOVE Yooka-Laylee!
I understand why many people don't like it too much, but please let me explain my history with video games and maybe some of you will understand my feelings towards the game.

I've been playing video games since the NES days and platformers have always been my preferred genre. When the N64 arrived and Rare gave us such titles as Banjo-Kazooie and DK64 I knew deep down that I found my entertainment of choice for life. But then the GC came and the 3D platformer - and Rare - quietly disappeared. Apart from the 3D Mario games, there wasn't really anything in the genre that was able to excite me. Thus, I began my long and fruitless search for a genre of video games that could give me as much joy as 3D platformers once gave me.

I dabbled in 1st person shooters, failed terribly at RTS games, got bored with JRPGs and got depressed by playing MMOs. At one point during a raid I came to the conclusion that video games weren't for me anymore and I gave up on them. This period lasted for about 3 years until I heard about the rise of Indie developers and the games they were creating. Free from the bounds and restrictions of big studios, these developers were creating games in the vein as the ones they loved as a child.

It was Indies like Shovel Knight, Cave Story and Shantae that brought me back into gaming and once I heard about Yooka-Laylee being in development by a new team comprised of former Rare members, I anxiously awaited its release. When the first reviews came out I was a bit distraught to find out it wasn't all that good. Thus, I awaited a Steam sale. Once I played it for myself though, I instantly fell in love with its quirky charm and gameplay, very reminiscent of those good old N64 collect-a-tons like Banjo-Kazooie. I got hooked. After playing through the game several times I realized what was missing from my life: pure joy!

After some deliberation with myself, I began saving for a Nintendo Switch. I wanted to be able to play this game, and future others, everywhere I went. And here I am right now: the proud owner of a brand new Switch, loaded with Yooka-Laylee to play everywhere I go.

I'm the happiest chameleon in the world right now.

Edited on by Yookatonic

Yookatonic

Buizel

@Yookatonic I too quite like Yooka-Laylee, and am happy I overlooked the mediocre reviews and went with my gut. Any faults with it were present in Banjo-Kazooie anyway. Honestly, if you love Banjo-Kazooie, I can't see you not loving this game.

Currently playing: Valkyria Chronicles 4 (Switch), Dragon Ball FighterZ (Switch), Pokemon Moon (3DS), Yakuza 0 (PC), Final Fantasy XV (PC).

Lito_eragordito

@Haywired Thank you for posting your opinion.
I'm not going to lie while reading through your post I found myself agreeing with almost all the points you were making.
The games visual and audio are terrific,and so were finding the Master Sword and the divine beast, but most its features were just kind of annoying weather effects, breakable weapons and mini dungeons to name a few.

Zelda in my opinion has always been about game play and the dungeons.
That's why Ocarina, Link to the past , Majora, Link between worlds, Minish cap and Windwaker are still remember and admired so much to this day.
I hope the Zelda franchise will get over this slump its been in since Skyward Sword.
Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.

Lito_eragordito

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic