Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,461 to 6,480 of 6,576

LuckyLand

@Arminillo this makes sense, but at the same time I think it is a bad thing to care if graphics are good or not when it's not pleasant to look at anyway. I don't think we should expect to have a game that is actually pleasant to look at only when studio Ghibli works on it. The worst thing is that many people actually appreciate this kind (XC2) graphics so there is no reason for developers to try something better since they have a big audience anyway. I will never understand how people can like "bare CG cartoon graphics" style. Now we have the technology to create 3D graphics that look like hand drawn illustration and we at least could try to get as much close to it as it is possible but many games and many cartoons still are made with this cheap and uninspired look.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Matt_Barber

CreamyDream wrote:

Matt_Barber wrote:

I'm thinking that XC2 would be getting a much better reception if XCX had never happened. The latter game obviously has its flaws, but it showed so much potential that it's like a slap in the face to see it all rolled back for the latest game.

It's almost like if the next Zelda game comes out and plays more like Skyward Sword. Sure, SS was a great game in its own right, but to not pick up where BotW left off would leave a lot of people feeling let down.

Translation: "I think XC2 would be getting much better reception if much better games that set higher standards for its genre and series didn't ever exist"

or

"If better games didn't exist, this game wouldn't look like poopie in comparison"

I don't know if you're trying to defend XC2, because you're only making it seem worse

I don't think XCX is better though; it's just different, and that affects expectations.

For what it's worth, I'd think XC1 is still the best in the series. The others haven't come close to in terms of characters and storytelling, even if the graphics and gameplay are somewhat more refined.

Watch the profanity...-Joey

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Matt_Barber

iKhan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I had similar problems with Symphonia to some extent, but I think that was more that the story and writing is disappointing in disc 2 than the pacing.

Symphonia has it a little, but at least it has one main villain who has a particular arc. The biggest detour you take has to do with Rodyle. The Renegades, the Desians, and Cruxis are all well connected.

Vesperia has like 5 "main villains", and they are barely related to each other. The game ends and restarts every single time. The penultimate villain is finally worth a bit of a damn, then a villain with zero buildup just takes the reins and makes everything bad again. It kind of makes me sad, because there are some really cool skills you can get from the end dungeon weapons.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Super Mario Odyssey, ARMS, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Steamworld Dig 2, A Hat In Time, (maybe some Wii games over Thanksgiving w/ the fam)

iLikeUrAttitude

I think pokemon Sun and Moon is a disappointment and that Ultra Sun and Moon is just a glorified expansion with little added content advertised as a sequel.
I hope pokemon for the Nintendo Switch won't be a let down, Gamefreak needs to take more risks instead of playing it safe all the time.

Edited on by iLikeUrAttitude

Good... good
Let the weeb flow through you...

Switch Friend Code: SW-1693-4995-1592 | 3DS Friend Code: 3453-9931-7768

CreamyDream

@iLikeUrAttitude I like sun and moon but ultra sun and ultra moon are the first mainline pokemon games that i have no desire to play.

Like you said, theyre just glorified expansions.

Heck, Breath of the Wild's $20 DLC has more new content than the entirety of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Alola had so much potential for a great sequel but gamefreak was too complacent

CreamyDream

iLikeUrAttitude

@CreamyDream Glad to see that the first reply to my comment is someone who agrees with me.

I liked Sun and Moon as well but I got confused when everyone started praising it for taking risks. The only major thing they changed were the gym battles. I thought "great instead of a linear set of gym battles we got... an also set of island challenges?"

I would even go as far to say that Heartgold and Soulsilver's first half alone had more content than both games.

Like you said Alola did have a lot of potential but from my perspective we just got a repeated story, same mechanics aside from Z-moves, same framerate dips, etc.

But what do you think about Pokemon on the Nintendo Switch?

Edited on by iLikeUrAttitude

Good... good
Let the weeb flow through you...

Switch Friend Code: SW-1693-4995-1592 | 3DS Friend Code: 3453-9931-7768

CreamyDream

@iLikeUrAttitude Im pretty hyped to have a mainline Pokemon title on the switch.
HD, and I can play it in the bigscreen.

I hope they fully take advantage of the third dimension and realize the potential of Pokemon to how it should be.
I dont wanna walk up to a knee-high ledge and not be able to step over it because "it's Pokemon"

CreamyDream

Buizel

iLikeUrAttitude wrote:

I would even go as far to say that Heartgold and Soulsilver's first half alone had more content than both games.

Sorry but I don't see how someone can make that claim. Although HGSS has plenty of content, Johto is the shortest main-series region by a mile, even in HGSS.

I'd also say Sun/Moon innovated a little with the structure of the overworld, and exploration with ride Pokemon (as opposed to the use of HMs). Although, I guess this is generally negated with how linear the region is compared to even the very first region in the series.

I can see why some believe Pokemon is starting to stagnate / lack innovation. But I don't believe Sun/Moon are significantly less innovative than previous entries in the series - moreso, the series has stuck to the status quo for so long that a lack of massive change is becoming more noticeable.

Currently playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch), Dragon Age Inquisition (PC), Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS), Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy (PS4).

Heavyarms55

It is time to let the 3DS retire in 2018. It is an excellent system, with many great games. But honestly it looks like what it is. A gaming device designed a decade ago. Going back and playing Pokemon USUM after playing the Switch all year just made me feel like I was using a toy. I had to pick up a burner temporary cell phone, 40 bucks Chinese off brand smartphone right off the shelf, MUCH better screen and image quality. It is frankly a joke that there are YouTube and Netflix apps on 3DS.

I owned 4, and put thousands of hours into 3DS games over the last 7ish years. But it is time for Nintendo to move on.

Heavyarms55

NaviAndMii

@Heavyarms55 I dunno...Nintendo needs an 'entry level' system (accessible and cheap) and the 3DS is still covering that base quite nicely - and it's apparently even outsold the Xbox One in 2017, so I doubt they'd be in any rush to kill it off just for killings sake.

I could see them doing what they did with the Wii and WiiU and perhaps pulling support for some of the services (like when they pulled Mario Kart Wii's online, or when they shut down Miiverse on WiiU) to try to not-so-subtly push people on to their newer hardware - but, so long as it's still selling well (and still filling an important niche in the market) there's no real reason to pull production...unless, of course, they effectively replace it with a 'Switch Mini' or something at a similar price point

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently Playing (Online): Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 54, CB: N/A, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Snaplocket

I want to see a new Mario kart on the Switch despite there already being 8 Deluxe. I don't think the Wii U's failure excuse's there being no new Mario Kart or Smash.

Snaplocket

Heavyarms55

@NaviAndMii Yeah I don't mean tomorrow announce "we are done with the 3DS" or anything like that. I would just slowly stop making new first party titles and slowly shift the marketing toward the Switch. Let it fade out, rather than cutting it off. My prediction is that in 2019 we will get 2 new Switch, a more powerful version, and a scaled down entry level version, and around that time they will actually start cutting production of the 3DS, down to one model, and then probably finally end that model after holiday 2020, only selling off the remaining stock.

Heavyarms55

CreamyDream

Snaplocket wrote:

I want to see a new Mario kart on the Switch despite there already being 8 Deluxe. I don't think the Wii U's failure excuse's there being no new Mario Kart or Smash.

Is this unpopular?

I think anyone who likes good things would agree with this

CreamyDream

MsJubilee

iLikeUrAttitude wrote:

I think pokemon Sun and Moon is a disappointment and that Ultra Sun and Moon is just a glorified expansion with little added content advertised as a sequel.
I hope pokemon for the Nintendo Switch won't be a let down, Gamefreak needs to take more risks instead of playing it safe all the time.

Ultra is such a lazy cash grab that it shocks me people actually bought it. God help any other company pulling this stunt.

I've died. There is no more me

This is the will of the heavens.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742 | Nintendo Network ID: TwilightAngel9

CreamyDream

Just played (and completed) Yooka Laylee for the first time ever on the Switch.

I dont know how much Playtonic as refined the game since its initial release, but this game is a lot of fun and not deserving of the hate it gets.

Dont get me wrong, it's surely a flawed game. It feels unfinished and empty in areas, the (lack of) enemy variety is laughable, and the writing is beyond lazy (even for this genre), and not all the minigames are winners.

But the core game is simply a lot of fun and everything comes together really well.

Yooka and Laylee are fun to control, the game is very well paced, great art direction, rewarding collectibles, lots of variety, cool settings, and a wonderful sense of exploration.

I also really like how the game isn't afraid to give you some real challenges and push your limits; it's very refreshing and satisfying.

It succeeds in delivering a Rare platformer in 2017. I would agree that the game doesn't improve on the N64 classics, as for every step forward it makes, it takes a step back too.

It's just fun. I'm glad Playtonic was stubborn and stuck with the classic Rare design philosophy no matter how divisive

CreamyDream

NaviAndMii

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, I could definitely see them phasing it out in favour of a 'Switch Mini' or something like that before too long...because mobile/tablet tech moves at such a pace, the cost of many of the Switch's internal components is likely to come down quite rapidly - so it's likely that they'd be able to make a 'Mini' version, with few compromises, at close to the ยฃ150ish price point before too long - and something like that'd be an ideal replacement ..but I can totally see why they're keeping the 3DS around for the time being - it's probably been worth them waiting a little while to phase in a replacement for it and, as we've seen, anything that can call itself 'the home of Pokรฉmon' is going to sell regardless! ..there's (a little bit of) life in the old dog yet!

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently Playing (Online): Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 54, CB: N/A, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Ralizah

@CreamyDream I mean, it had more technical issues before, but at its core Y-L was still a pretty good game. Unfortunately, once online hate bandwagons start rolling, there's not much you can do to stop them.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Snaplocket

@Ralizah I think part of the reason for the hate was thanks to Mighty No 9, which was such a huge flop that the fact that Yooka Laylee had technical problems and the fact it's quality wasn't on par with say, Super Mario Sunshine. People were less then pleased.

Snaplocket

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic