Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,441 to 6,460 of 6,820

Fiyaball

That's why I've been enjoying Color Splash so much: I can reasonably get one paint star each day, because the game moves at a quick pace. The 3DS port of Dragon Quest 8 is also a lot more fun, because the encounters don't bog it down. I personally think all RPGs should do things the "Earthbound" style, where they appear on the overworld and allow you to get first strikes.

Fiyaball

LuckyLand

I dislike XC2 art direction too. I don't like this genre so it does not bother me that much but in my opinion it looks really bad and I really don't understand all the people that love it so much.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Snaplocket

@Fiyaball How is, "3ds Dragon Quest VIII is better" the unpopular opinion? In it's an improvement in every way besides graphics and music. Also, I'm pretty sure Ni No Kuni had a much higher budget and had Studio Ghibli working on it.

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Matt_Barber

I'm thinking that XC2 would be getting a much better reception if XCX had never happened. The latter game obviously has its flaws, but it showed so much potential that it's like a slap in the face to see it all rolled back for the latest game.

It's almost like if the next Zelda game comes out and plays more like Skyward Sword. Sure, SS was a great game in its own right, but to not pick up where BotW left off would leave a lot of people feeling let down.

Matt_Barber

Fiyaball

Snaplocket wrote:

@Fiyaball How is, "3ds Dragon Quest VIII is better" the unpopular opinion? In it's an improvement in every way besides graphics and music. Also, I'm pretty sure Ni No Kuni had a much higher budget and had Studio Ghibli working on it.

I was mentioning it because it's an example of a JRPG that DOESN'T take forever to beat.

Fiyaball

CreamyDream

Matt_Barber wrote:

I'm thinking that XC2 would be getting a much better reception if XCX had never happened. The latter game obviously has its flaws, but it showed so much potential that it's like a slap in the face to see it all rolled back for the latest game.

It's almost like if the next Zelda game comes out and plays more like Skyward Sword. Sure, SS was a great game in its own right, but to not pick up where BotW left off would leave a lot of people feeling let down.

Translation: "I think XC2 would be getting much better reception if much better games that set higher standards for its genre and series didn't ever exist"

or

"If better games didn't exist, this game wouldn't look like trash in comparison"

I don't know if you're trying to defend XC2, because you're only making it seem worse

Edited on by SheldonRandoms

CreamyDream

CreamyDream

Snaplocket wrote:

Also, I'm pretty sure Ni No Kuni had a much higher budget and had Studio Ghibli working on it.

I'm not sure that's true, but even if it is, that doesn't excuse it. It's being sold for the same amount of money, and it came out on a more powerful console.

If the devs were low budget and wanted you to feel sorry for them, they should've lowered the price of the game and put on the back of the box that the game is low budget just to make super duper sure that you don't "unfairly" compare it to better games

CreamyDream

Snaplocket

CreamyDream wrote:

I'm not sure that's true, but even if it is, that doesn't excuse it. It's being sold for the same amount of money, and it came out on a more powerful console.

If the devs were low budget and wanted you to feel sorry for them, they should've lowered the price of the game and put on the back of the box that the game is low budget just to make super duper sure that you don't "unfairly" compare it to better games

Wow, best logic ever. sarcasam

Edited on by Snaplocket

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Ralizah

@CreamyDream Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a good balance between gameplay/story focus. It sets a consistent and enjoyable pace for the game, but also has a decent amount of side content, actually useful exploration, and an engaging, very hands-on combat system.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

CreamyDream

@Snaplocket Wow, we should just enjoy games out of pity because they didnt have big budgets
Best logic ever.

The devs should say the budget they had to make the game on the back of the box to know how sorry we should feel for them.

"Sonic Forces wasn't very good? oh wait it didn't have that large of a budget, nevermind, it was amazing."

Reviewers should even have a pity handicap when scoring games.

Sorry dude, you can play mental gymnastics all you want.
Ni No Kuni (a 7 year old game) looks better XC2 with is anime aesthetic, and the voice acting and writing are far better, there's no excusing it

@Ralizah
Yea I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it doesn't stand out to me from any other JRPG and seems like a notable step down from XCX. The only aspects of XC2 which I straight up dislike are its visuals and voice acting and writing

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

Snaplocket

@CreamyDream Budget is NOT and indicator of a game's quality. Most big name Nintendo games are made on VERY low budgets compared to industry norms. Xenoblade X was a massive game with high end production values and it was stated by the very people who made the game to be "not AAA". Other examples include Falcom's games or games made by Spike Chunsoft. Just because the game isn't as high end as others doesn't mean it shouldn't be charging for full price, heck the game is over 90 HOURS LONG.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

kkslider5552000

CreamyDream wrote:

writing are far better

Unless Xenoblade 2 also is filled with scenes that feel the need to explain what we have already been told, all the time, while filled with characters whose personality is slightly above bland instead of focusing on the interesting story established early on, I'm not sure I will agree with this.

i will never get over how much Ni No Kuni wastes its amazing first few hours to waste your time with less interesting stories in the middle of it, I'm sorry. It really does.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

Arminillo

CreamyDream wrote:

@Snaplocket Wow, we should just enjoy games out of pity because they didnt have big budgets
Best logic ever.

The devs should say the budget they had to make the game on the back of the box to know how sorry we should feel for them.

"Sonic Forces wasn't very good? oh wait it didn't have that large of a budget, nevermind, it was amazing."

Reviewers should even have a pity handicap when scoring games.

Sorry dude, you can play mental gymnastics all you want.
Ni No Kuni (a 7 year old game) looks better XC2 with is anime aesthetic, and the voice acting and writing are far better, there's no excusing it

@Ralizah
Yea I'm not saying it's a bad game, but it doesn't stand out to me from any other JRPG and seems like a notable step down from XCX. The only aspects of XC2 which I straight up dislike are its visuals and voice acting and writing

Ni no Kuni doesnt look better than Xeno does, it has a better art style (Ghibli) but it doesnt look better overall. Thats like saying Windwaker has better graphics than BoTW

http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/screenshots/NiNoKuni...
vs
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Xenoblade...

Edited on by Arminillo

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

CreamyDream

@Snaplocket Okay then? what's your point? So does budget matter or not? Because I'm arguing that it doesn't; especially if the game in question is charging you $60 to play it. If it was cheaper, then I'd be more understanding.
90 hours of content isn't impressive unless literally all of it is amazing. The game's tutorials last 15 hours alone...

@kkslider5552000
I mean sure, Ni No Kuni's writing isn't perfect, but it never made me cringe.

Every clip I've seen of XC2 so far has dialogue that made me cringe quite a bit, and the vocal performances don't help at all either. The hot tub scene for example was especially cringey to me...

@Arminillo
Well, I don't wanna seem like I'm moving the goal post here, but yes, that's what I meant.

Obviously XC2 is more technically impressive, but Ni No Kuni captures the anime aesthetic much better (which is what I believe XC2 is going for as well)

Edited on by CreamyDream

CreamyDream

Ralizah

@CreamyDream I think it's an improvement on XCX in almost every way. Better music, better character models (even if there is a slight stiffness to them, they're still a million times more natural than the doll people in XCX), much less unwieldy UI (it looks involved, but the whole system is pretty simple in practice, and I'm so happy the terrible arts bar is gone, replaced with simple timed button presses like in a Paper Mario game), more interesting characters, funnier humor, etc. XCX has more compelling landscape design and "better" exploration (dashing, tons of platforming, lack of fall damage, more rewards for finding new areas, more opportunities to find things to interact with in the open world, etc.), and, of course, it has the awesome skells, but it's a much more tedious and less well-rounded experience.

I'm still relatively early in the game, but, so far, it's my favorite of the Xenoblade games, and perhaps my second favorite Xeno- game overall (I still really like Xenogears, even if it is deeply flawed).

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

CreamyDream

@Ralizah I feel you.

XC2's change of direction from XCX in most aspects just doesn't appeal to me.

However, I would disagree that XC2 is "pretty simple in practice"; if it truly was, then it wouldn't feel compelled to still hand you tutorials 15 hours in.

I never had a problem with the Arts; it was easy to understand and played well

XCX does a pretty good job of teaching you everything, even if it felt unwieldy at first

CreamyDream

Ralizah

CreamyDream wrote:

XC2's change of direction from XCX in most aspects just doesn't appeal to me.

That's fair. How did you feel about the first Xenoblade, though?

CreamyDream wrote:

However, I would disagree that XC2 is "pretty simple in practice"; if it truly was, then it wouldn't feel compelled to still hand you tutorials 15 hours in.

The battle system is simple enough once you get the hang of it, although, being a Xenoblade game, it does indeed throw a lot of stuff at you outside of battles. Still far less complex overall than XCX, though. You don't have to worry about and manage dozens of different systems at a time like in that game.

CreamyDream wrote:

I never had a problem with the Arts; it was easy to understand and played well

Agree to disagree. Trying to scroll to a particular command on a cluttered arts bar is much less elegant and fun than just pushing a button that is mapped to a particular command. It's such a small change, but it makes battles feel much less tedious than in previous games.

Skill bars are fine in MMOs on PC, where you can click on what you want or, more efficiently, just hotkey every command you use with any regularity. Which ends up making them more like XC2's system in practice anyway.

Also, it's way easier to heal early on in XC2 than in XCX. The soul voice system was senseless and annoying.

CreamyDream wrote:

XCX does a pretty good job of teaching you everything, even if it felt unwieldy at first

Totally disagree there. XCX explains itself more poorly than almost any other game I've played in the last decade. There are so many things the game doesn't explain at all, forcing you to read the digital manual or ask about online. It's the game's single biggest flaw, imo.

Xenoblade 2 doesn't have a menu to look up past tutorials, which is stupid, but I'm really happy that it takes its time to actually properly explain its mechanics and gradually introduce them to the player.

XCX drops you in the deep end and tells you to sink or swim, pretty much. XC2 tutoralizes more, but it does a much better job of gradually adjusting the player to the game's complexities.

Of course, if you're a "deep end" sort of guy, then I get prefer XCX.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

CreamyDream

@Ralizah
I think I've posted here some of my thoughts on XC1 some time ago. I'm not crazy about it. I love the setting, music, and cinematics, but the gameplay is very monotonous to me. The characters arent fun to control, the exploration isn't good, and every enemy is approached very similarly so it gets very repetitive.

I found XCX to be an improvement in pretty much every way, and XCX is one of my favorite games.

The thing is with XCX, although there definitely are dozens of systems, you only have to worry about one at a time.

Combat, resource management, Ally relationships are all handled in separate times, so it's never overwhelming for me.

I'm gonna have to agree with you 100% on the healing thing. It never made much sense in XCX.

Idk, I guess I'm a "deep end" kinda guy then. I just like playing and figuring things out on my own.

CreamyDream

Snaplocket

@Ralizah I personally think XCX is the better game but it's definitely better then the first game.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

LuckyLand

@Arminillo this makes sense, but at the same time I think it is a bad thing to care if graphics are good or not when it's not pleasant to look at anyway. I don't think we should expect to have a game that is actually pleasant to look at only when studio Ghibli works on it. The worst thing is that many people actually appreciate this kind (XC2) graphics so there is no reason for developers to try something better since they have a big audience anyway. I will never understand how people can like "bare CG cartoon graphics" style. Now we have the technology to create 3D graphics that look like hand drawn illustration and we at least could try to get as much close to it as it is possible but many games and many cartoons still are made with this cheap and uninspired look.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic