Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,441 to 6,460 of 6,612

Snaplocket

@Chandlero I thought Bravely Default and Second were pretty great.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Buizel

CreamyDream wrote:

I think Octopath Traveler's art style is very unappealing and just different for the sake of being different without any thoughtful reasoning.
The sprites and the environments simply dont look like they mix well at all. I know "that's the point" but that doesnt change the fact that it doesnt mix well at all.

It's a cheap style gimmick

I agree actually. I wouldn't say that the game is ugly but the combination of sprites and more realistic lighting is quite jarring. I'd rather they either just went with classic sprites or a HD art style.

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

kkslider5552000

MisterPi wrote:

Though it could be argued that the cliche writing/setting/battle type were intentional. After all, it was a game designed to see if people still liked classic JRPG type games.

I'm calling bs on this. That's honestly one of my big problems, for as much as it supposedly wants to be a classic style JRPG, it still felt the need to put some half-***ed, anime-light, Tales of style characterization at points. Like what's his name is just a poor, poor man's Zelos from Symphonia.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Tiefseemiez

@Chandlero
Maybe the opinion is not THAT unpopular (as most of the ones represented here), but I did get the strong impression that people in this forum loved the game a lot.
The reviews were stellar too and I read a lot of recommendations on the forums suggesting those games. Though a lot of people said that there was some issue later on with repeating boss fights (I think) I never saw anyone criticise the plot and characters in general. Or the dungeon design...or anything else basically than that issue.

Never want to come down, never want to put my feet back down on the ground.

subpopz

CreamyDream wrote:

The sprites and the environments simply dont look like they mix well at all. I know "that's the point" but that doesnt change the fact that it doesnt mix well at all.

I think it mixes and looks fantastic. That's what makes it an opinion and not a "fact"

Switch - Octopath Traveler, SNK Heroines, NES Online
3DS -
PC - Nier: Automata, Killer Instinct

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

dew12333

I have many unpopular opinions, but today it is regarding nindies, or as I call it shovelwere! Droves and droves of copycat games with little imagination, usually funded by kickstarter because no one with any business sense would give it the time of day. Mostly falling to the 5-6 out of 10 category and offering little to the future of the switch. Someone did point out to me how good shovelknight is, but I put that down to the one exception to the rule.

dew12333

HappyAxiom

@dew12333
There are many indie games that are considered equally good or even better than their big AAA brothers.
Shovel Knight is one example, but there's also Axiom Verge, Celeste, Owlboy, Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Enter the Gungeon, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story, Night in the Woods, Steamworld Dig, Golf Story, Shantae, Fast RMX, The Binding of Isaac,... just to name a few. And that's only counting those that are on Switch. There's many more great ones on other consoles.

I'd also like to add that Indies innovate more than the average AAA game. Just sayin'.

Edited on by HappyAxiom

HappyAxiom

LuckyLand

@Buizel I agree. Lighting effects were too invasive even in a completely HD game like Dragon's crown imho.
And I agree on the fact that Octopath wants to be different without any thoughtful reason too... but probably without realistic lighting and effects it would have looked less bad.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Tiefseemiez

@dew12333
That is not really an opinion, I'd say.
I think "Nindie" is a term only used for specific games supported by Nintendo (even if that only means curating and advertising them in some way). It does not refer to all digital-only games on the e-shop.
One may discuss the quality of a lot of e-shop-games, but those called "Nindies" usually offer something interesting or a certain degree of quality.
At the moment I would think that there is only 50% or less of what I would call shovelware (maybe score 5 or below, if rated at all) on the e-shop. But that may totally be a subjective impression (=I didn't research the numbers and what to call "shovelware" already is pretty subjective).

kkslider5552000

@dew12333

This is about unpopular opinions, not about being blatantly ignorant.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Yosheel

Ok let's change the subject.... unpopular opinions... Lemme see... Oh.

I've never liked Donkey Kong. Nor his games. Specially the SNES ones.

Somehow this extends to Rare as a whole, the only one of their games I have actually liked is Viva Piñata.

Edited on by Yosheel

Yeah I don’t know either.

Eh! My gameplay videos

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

HappyAxiom

@Meowpheel
I agree about Rare. Somehow their games never struck a chord with me.

HappyAxiom

Tiefseemiez

@dew12333
No, it is a statement that either is true or is not true.
Either most of the "Nindies" are low quality shovelware or they are not.

dew12333

@Tiefseemiez
look it is my opinion about these games, I don't think its a fact that they are all poor!

dew12333

Snaplocket

@HappyAxiom I couldn't give less of a thought about Shovel Knight if I tried. Never liked that game. NES games in general are pretty overrated.

Switch FC: SW-0930-5375-7512
3ds FC: 3539-8977-1109

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic