Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,121 to 6,140 of 12,088

CanisWolfred

Bunnymentendo wrote:

Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark have not aged well. I couldn't get used to their controls, they always felt clunky to me.

Thankfully, every console FPS developer since the release of Halo: Combat Evolved has agreed with that sentiment, because yeah, in terms of controls and basic movement, those two really have not aged well. The best aspects were in regards to weapon and level design, the way enemies reacted to players based on where they're shot (why is this not more common?!), the variety of levels and setpieces, and their general atmosphere. Honestly, you should try the Timesplitters games if you ever get the chance. It takes the design philosophy of 007/PD and combines them with modern console FPS controls.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

GeoChrome

@MegaSwitch Could not agree enough, mainline Pokรฉmon has just become stale.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Tyranexx

I liked Blue Rescue Team overall. The plot was refreshingly different in terms of anything Pokemon-related, some of the missions were fun, and exploring dungeons in and of itself was also a novelty for me at the time.

That said, what drove me away from the series was the finicky recruitment for some more powerful Pokemon plus those 99 floor dungeon monstrosities....Soooo much frustration. I also lost a Friend Bow of all things at one point. I was careful about saving, but quick saves only get you so far in that game.

I've heard later entries were more merciful, but the post-game's imbalanced ridsk/reward system drove me away from the series entirely.

Ironically I ended up liking the first Pokemon Ranger more.

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

GeoChrome

I donโ€™t see much of the appeal of Super Meat Boy. It just seems like itโ€™s hard just to pad out a bare game. They also managed to make an even worse sequel.

Anti-Matter

RibbonLass wrote:

ARMS is the best Nintendo franchise of all time!

Agree...!! ๐Ÿ˜†

Anti-Matter

NEStalgia

@MegaSwitch I keep doing forward quarter circle, reverse halve circle, up HP, z right to down quarter circle right, LK 3/4 circle forward back,, HP+HK->LP......nothing is happening!

I've grown to love the fighting genre in spite of it's flaws but...dang, every time I look at KoF or GG/BB's movesets, or the 100+ moves per character in Tekken, my eyes water.

NEStalgia

Agriculture

I did not care for the Half-Life series.

Agriculture

TheAwesomeBowser

Mario Odyssey was 2017's GOTY.

Own up to Joy-Con Drift, Nintendo. We all know it's your fault

NEStalgia

@Agriculture this ^^. Half-Life 1 was pretty amazing for its time. It really took the shooter genre that was just blowing stuff away in corridors and added a cinematic aspect, particularly the first few chapters, that kind of defined the future evolution of shooters/AAA story telling through present. HL-2 was terrible though. The story is incomprehensible, incomplete, and the shooting is bland. And the storytelling method means you miss half the story.

NEStalgia

Agriculture

NEStalgia wrote:

@Agriculture this ^^. Half-Life 1 was pretty amazing for its time. It really took the shooter genre that was just blowing stuff away in corridors and added a cinematic aspect, particularly the first few chapters, that kind of defined the future evolution of shooters/AAA story telling through present. HL-2 was terrible though. The story is incomprehensible, incomplete, and the shooting is bland. And the storytelling method means you miss half the story.

I agree that Half Life 1 is much better than Half Life 2. The worst thing about Half Life 2 is that you and the enemies move so slowly that the combat is about bullet sponging and picking up health and suit energy.

Agriculture

Agriculture

subpopz wrote:

@NEStalgia The storytelling method of HL2 is still one of the best, IMO. That you are always in Gordons viewpoint, only knowing what he sees and hears, makes it incredibly immersive. Story is pretty simple and easy to follow, so this kind of immersion works without the need for cutscenes showing things going on elsewhere.

But you're still watching NPCs act out the story. The only difference is that you still have control over Gordon, which just means you get to ruin the immersion by climbing the furniture if you want to.

Agriculture

Diddy64

I like Yoshi's Story despite being a short game and most of its levels being easy.

Undergoing games:
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

NEStalgia

@subpopz The problem with that story telling method is it's not really immersive because it's still scripted, there's no AI reaction to your actions, meaning it actually disconnects you from the illusion of the environment - you can act out of sequence without effect - versus just having a fixed camera that keeps you in sequence. Meanwhile you're expected to stand in the right place so the audio doesn't drop out or doppler out, which means predicting where characters are walking and talking to - and if you miss, they keep going like you're there. WIthout real AI altering the actual events, it doesn't really work.

NEStalgia

MysticGengar

Hot take: I love zelda for the lore, but I've never actually beaten them because I just don't like how they play. I don't know why, but the controls have always felt... odd. The gameplay is also super slow for me at least. Just so you know, I have tried twighlight princess, Zelda 1, Link between Worlds, and BOTW.

Nice >:]

I do stupid stuff on youtube.com/mysticbros, so check it out if your bored or whatever.
Or don't, it's your time after all.

NEStalgia

@subpopz Don't get me wrong, I think they could have left first person perspective in rather than cutting to a dolly grip or something. They could have even left you able to look around freely. But being able to walk around and leave the area.....or having to follow NPCs around the room when you really can't just broke it. Didn't matter, the story was incoherent anyway with zero explanation about what actually was going on/why other than "Aliens" and "corrupt soviet style government." The machines eating the city at the end had pretty much no explanation. Nor any lead-up. They were just suddenly "there" in a way that seemed important but couldn't be because they were never actually explored.

NEStalgia

Anti-Matter

I cannot play Kingdom Hearts 3 due to i found Shooting something in 1st person view in the game. ๐Ÿ˜’
No, Just No for shooting like that. ๐Ÿ™„

Anti-Matter

GeoChrome

@Anti-Matter So you arenโ€™t playing something you want to play just because of one segment. This is what happens when you set barriers on yourself smh.

Anti-Matter

@GyroZeppeli @redd214
On other games i have, i still have to deal with something that i really felt Uncomfortable. ๐Ÿ™„
I have to play Water gun with Splatoon style from Go Vacation at least once to get a Stamp. ๐Ÿ˜•
I really dislike to play Blitzball on FF X, just same Boring as Soccer, but i have to play it once, doesn't matter win or lose to continue the storyline. ๐Ÿ˜’
I didn't really like to be a Tank in Super Mario Odyssey that i have to shoot the Giant Robotic centipede. ๐Ÿ˜•
Lately, i found something like 1st person view shooting the targets from kingdom Hearts 3 when Sora have to ride a machine to shoot all the targets.
Doing like that was like rubbing my old wound with salt.

Oh, on other games i still haven't yet, i found a game with title GuruGuru Tamagotchi 3DS Japan, actually it was looked cute and fun until i found i have to play Soccer mini game, i was like "Nooo.... Not that sport again!"
That game was still on my fence.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic