Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 6,141 to 6,160 of 12,088

GeoChrome

@Anti-Matter I can sort of understand being peeved by shooting real bullets, but a water gun? That’s just silly as they do not cause any harm to the receiver. I think you might be a little harsh on yourself. None of this stuff encourages violence any more than a team member splashing their coach with Gatorade.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

Anti-Matter

@GyroZeppeli
But strangely.... I felt Nothing guilty when i destroyed some vehicles or any objects on LEGO CITY undercover Switch by activating Super Ray Gun for Astronout job or Jackhammering the objects from Worker job or Coloring any objects / LEGO folks with Splat gun from Robber job. 😳
Am i really weird or crazy ?

Anti-Matter

GeoChrome

@Anti-Matter You are definitely not crazy. I think that since you know the characters are toys, you are okay with them committing violence against others since they are not real. But other video game characters look more realistic, so you have an incline to not like them doing things like shooting. This close-mindedness just leads to hypocrisy.

Reading: Too much
Watching: Not enough
Playing: SMTV

Switch Friend Code: SW-6148-2681-7704

NEStalgia

@subpopz Yeah, most of that isn't explained at all in any meaningful way. Or if it is, not fixing the freaking camera on the dialog makes it too easy to lose it. It's mostly fanfic fill-in-the-gaps. FWIW, I've heard it on good authority, I.E., inside, that most of the devs have no clue what the story was supposed to be and mostly slapped stuff together and also think the storytelling mechanism was terrible So most of the "coherent" story is the internet retconning harder than Aonuma trying to splice timelines out of Miyamoto's "story doesn't matter" design priorities Yes, I know it's an "unpopular gaming opinion", obviously, but the point is the media and public made this big hoo hah of the new bar set in storytelling in a game that even the devs thought wasn't coherent.

It's like Dark Souls. There IS NO STORY if you have to cobble together "lore" into something that makes sense in your head. (There's unpopular opinion #2.)

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@subpopz The "expanding barrier walls" were definitely never previously explained in plain dialog. The goals and functions of the major parties were never explained. It was a weird snapshot of events without context. And only the events were explained, never the context.

I truly rate it as one of the worst games I've ever endured. It was pretty with interesting environments (in the first 1/3 anyway), I'll give it that.

NEStalgia

Agriculture

subpopz wrote:

@Agriculture It doesn't ruin immersion...it's always first person viewpoint, what you see in first person is all you get as if you were there. It's far more immersive than cutting to pre-rendered scenes with fixed camera angles and even seeing Gordon with his personality and input (leaving this blank is about the same as Link not talking enabling you to immerse yourself into the character rather than just relate to them).
If climbing over furniture when someones talking ruins immersion...well that's something you did yourself

It's a matter of opinion, but I always thought of immersion as something which has little to do with realism. You immerse yourself in a film when it's exiting and eventful, not when it shows something real from realistic angles. My opinion is that a game like Metal Gear Solid 2 does a way better job of immersing the player than Half-Life 2, because that game pulls out every trick from games and movies to create a whole experience the players can immerse themselves in. Half-Life 2 just dogmatically locks the camera to first person and call it a day.

Agriculture

shaneoh

ReaderRagfihs wrote:

Sure, you can run around like an idiot during them, just as how in real life you can run around in circles and dance in the during a funeral.

Wait, running in circles and dancing at a funeral isn't normal? That explains... a lot actually. Pants are still optional right?

Edited on by shaneoh

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Ralizah

@subpopz Oh man, if that's your opinion of the relatively straight-forward and exciting MGS1, stay FAR away from the nightmarish, post-modern mind-screw that is Metal Gear Solid 2.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

DayOfLavos

@MaverickSlasher while I don't exactly hate Sonic CD I must say that I think the huge, wide open levels are a pretty bad fit for Sonic. I prefer just running straight to the end with a few different paths to take, rather than explore these massive levels with spotty design looking for hidden machines to break

"There's a party in my mind, and I hope it never stops"
#1 Kirby Air Ride player in the world (voted by like 4 people)

Anti-Matter

@ReaderRagfihs
Actually, i felt quite disturbed to see some mild bloods from Street Fighters III above. That's why on 3rd Strike Capcom removed the scenery like that.

Also, any kind of shooting games, doesn't matter like on Go Vacation still i can't stand. It just always brought me to the Bad Flashback or Always remind me to the damned shooting games ever in this world. And whenever i remembered that, i always felt angry and felt disgusted.

I cannot stand for any shooting games even Splatoon, but i have interest with Ninjala. Instead of splatting my opponents with any gun weapons, i feel okay to smack my opponents with toy sword like on Kingdom Hearts since that weapon is NOT a gun. And the bubble gum blast from Ninjala was blasted from the player's mouth, not from any weapon that called a gun.
But strangely, i still allowed the guns from LEGO CITY Undercover due Cartoonish impacts from destroying cars or any destructable objects and the guns from Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers 3DS , the AMiimals used the weapons to protect their places from Grocks.

And about fighting games or combat sport, only UFC / PFC i banned from my place. Fighting sports like Boxing or Kickboxing or K-1 are allowed, but UFC was Banned due to brutal way to hit the opponent. But, even for Boxing i still banned for games like Fight Night or any 16+ Western Boxing games due to Darker preferences and some bloods on faces. I really like Cartoonish Boxing games like K-1 Pocket Grand Prix GBA or Animal Boxing NDS due to Chibi looking, Lively places for boxing ring and less violence impacts on opponent's face. Those are my favorite Kiddie Boxing games and that's why i drew a lot my Chibi Boxers.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

MaverickSlasher

@DayOfLavos true i got stuck in stardust speed way act 3
not because i died constantly
but because i got lost and never was able to find the goal

MaverickSlasher

NEStalgia

@Ralizah "Mindscrew" and "incoherent nonsense" are, in fact, not synonyms.

NEStalgia

LadyCharlie

DayOfLavos wrote:

@MaverickSlasher while I don't exactly hate Sonic CD I must say that I think the huge, wide open levels are a pretty bad fit for Sonic. I prefer just running straight to the end with a few different paths to take, rather than explore these massive levels with spotty design looking for hidden machines to break

I'll up that ante.
looking to get the good future in each level really sucks the fun out of a 2D Sonic game.

LadyCharlie

Switch Friend Code: SW-1787-3887-5088 | 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6315-2933

MaverickSlasher

Charlie_Girl wrote:

DayOfLavos wrote:

I'll up that ante.
looking to get the good future in each level really sucks the fun out of a 2D Sonic game.

the levels are already confusing as they are
the past and future are a annoying mecanic
and the boss battles must be some of the worst of the franshise
the final boss is pathetic

MaverickSlasher

iKhan

This is one I've only really come to terms with recently.

Wind Waker, as much as I love it, is unequivocally one of the weakest 3D Zelda games. This has mostly to do with the Triforce Quest, because it's so bloated and miserable that it completely cripples the game experience for me.

It's not fair for me to lambast Skyward Sword for it's generous padding and let Wind Waker off the hook. Aside from those two, the rest of the 3D Zeldas didn't ever feel to me like there was a prolonged segment of pure tedium.

If Nintendo had just delayed the damn game and finished it, it would be one of the best.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Ralizah

iKhan wrote:

Aside from those two, the rest of the 3D Zeldas didn't ever feel to me like there was a prolonged segment of pure tedium.

For me, that was the first three or so hours of Twilight Princess, and then any of the Tears of Light segments after that in the first 1/3 of the game.

It picks up nicely as it goes on, but good god, does it have an awful start. Likely why it's still my least favorite 3D Zelda (won't be able to definitively conclude that until I play through Skyward Sword, though).

Although I agree that being forced to hunt for Triforce shards completely broke the amazing flow of Wind Waker up until that point in the game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Anti-Matter

I really don't like the character design of Rune Factory.
I hate to see their eyes design.
They don't smize with their eyes.
Their eyes look dead like no soul in their body.

Anti-Matter

iKhan

Ralizah wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Aside from those two, the rest of the 3D Zeldas didn't ever feel to me like there was a prolonged segment of pure tedium.

For me, that was the first three or so hours of Twilight Princess, and then any of the Tears of Light segments after that in the first 1/3 of the game.

It picks up nicely as it goes on, but good god, does it have an awful start. Likely why it's still my least favorite 3D Zelda (won't be able to definitively conclude that until I play through Skyward Sword, though).

Although I agree that being forced to hunt for Triforce shards completely broke the amazing flow of Wind Waker up until that point in the game.

I actually really love how Twilight Princess starts. It really helped flesh out the games world building. I really felt like there was more going on in the world beyond Link's quest. Spoiler alert, Skyward Sword tries to do the same thing, but completely fails to make anything in the world feel important beyond your main quest.

I also liked the puzzle component of the tears of light, alongside TP's absolutely stunning sense of atmosphere.

But hey, to each his own. I literally can't get past the Triforce hunt despite trying three times. I just don't have the resolve to get through that. I'm too impatient of a gamer.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Ralizah

@iKhan I mean, I still find Wind Waker HD incredibly fun to play, but stopping a game for a long period of time to force the player to hunt for stuff is a big no-no for me. It's why Metroid Prime went way down in my estimation once I replayed it recently and remembered how annoying it was trying to find all the artifacts near the end.

The biggest issue I have with Wind Waker is Tetra, the cool and suave pirate captain, being told to go hide in the basement when it's revealed that she's actually Princess Zelda. And then she gets kidnapped! It completely conflicts with her characterization up until that point, and, frankly, I found it slightly offensive.

Thankfully, the game gushes out charm, so it's easy to forgive its flaws.

I liked pretty much nothing about TP's early hours. The people were all incredibly ugly. The sheep herding section was tedious. Tears of Light sections are unpleasant busywork. The first dungeon's gimmick is really, really dumb. Link feels weirdly stiff. And I didn't really care for the edgy dark fantasy vibe (versus Majora's Mask's haunting and hugely atmospheric world, for example, where the darkness felt much more organic and connected to the themes and narrative of the game).

I've heard... lots of bad things about SS, so I'll have my expectations in check. I've played it long enough to know that I don't really like the control scheme, but I'm willing to give the game a chance.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic