Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,121 to 2,140 of 12,088

DreamyViridi

Honestly, Casual Mode is perfectly fine and a great addition to FE. The only issue with it is the lack of a punishment for losing units in that mode. Outside of that unit not being able to gain more experience or if that lost unit was needed for something; there's no real loss. So maybe if they needed time to heal before they could be used again; or if they levelled down, there'd still be incentive to keeping your allies alive.

I personally loved the characters so while I play Casual, I refuse to fodder them off regardless. Kinda like playing Casual with a Classic mindset but not many others play like that.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

CaviarMeths

DreamyViridi wrote:

Honestly, Casual Mode is perfectly fine and a great addition to FE. The only issue with it is the lack of a punishment for losing units in that mode. Outside of that unit not being able to gain more experience or if that lost unit was needed for something; there's no real loss. So maybe if they needed time to heal before they could be used again; or if they levelled down.

A lighter version of the system in XCOM, maybe. In that game, when a unit lost any health at all, they require time to recover from injury and cannot be used again in battle until they're healed. If they do die in a mission though, they're dead forever.

I liked the system in Valkyria Chronicles too. When a unit died, you had 3 turns to get them a medic evac by moving another one of your units into position before the enemy did. Gave you a thrill and a push, and often made you adapt your strategy on the fly when a unit fell behind the enemy line.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

DreamyViridi

@CaviarMeths - That system Valkyria Chronicles uses sounds like it could work with Fire Emblem after a couple of tweaks. I imagine the Pair Up system might cancel that out though.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Megas75

The N64 has one of the weakest libraries as far as Nintendo consoles go, despite having legendary games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, it only had as a handful of games worth noting

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

CanisWolfred

Megas75 wrote:

The N64 has one of the weakest libraries as far as Nintendo consoles go, despite having legendary games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, it only had as a handful of games worth noting

This is pretty much a standard fact by this point. I think even the more die-hard fans of the system would struggle to come up with more than 40 games for the system that are worth owning, when it's not hard to come up with a top 100 for most successful systems. Even a fan of the Dreamcast or Wii could drum up a top 50 with relative easy. :/

Of course, sometime quality over quantity is important. My main beef with the N64 is how limited the genres were for the system. It specialized in 4 genres: FPS games, Platformers (mostly 3D ones), Racing games, and Zelda-like action-adventure games, with hardly any examples of other genres. Even the Wii had a decent amount of variety despite the low overall quality of its library.

A lot of the better games haven't aged well either, at least visually, if not mechanically. Goldeneye 007 plays great, but I booted it up on the same SD TV I used to play games on as a Kid, and I could not even see what I was shooting at unless it was right in front of me. Everything was so fuzzy, I was afraid I needed new glasses. The framerate was also very unreliable, too, with the fairly frequent slowdowns during more cluttered areas actually screwing me up from time to time. It's one of those cases where the graphics have aged so badly that it actually interferes with the otherwise good gameplay. :/

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Nintendo_Ninja

Casual mode makes FE a little less fun for me.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

LaserdiscGal

Personally I agree, casual mode is less fun. The fact that they can die at any moment really makes the stakes much higher, and thus more fun (Though I know a certain Admin disagrees with me).

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

LzWinky

Classic Mode sucks and you all suck at Fire Emblem for even thinking it's superior >:[

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CanisWolfred

Amiibo wrote:

Personally I agree, casual mode is less fun. The fact that they can die at any moment really makes the stakes much higher, and thus more fun (Though I know a certain Admin disagrees with me).

I can see that, even though personally I find it more nerve-racking than anything else. Some people get a thrill from stress. I just get stomach aches, headaches, hair loss, poor sleep, and...poor memory, I guess...kinda forgot the punchline here...stress is bad.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

EngieBengie

-I think Super Smash Bros. should fully embrace competitive play.

-F-Zero should come back and be made the MAIN racing franchise for Nintendo instead of Mario Kart.

-Nintendo has some of the worst fanboys in gaming with how much they think Nintendo can never do wrong and be wrong.

-GameCube is the best Nintendo console and vastly superior to the PlayStation 2

-I think Iwata is a poor president/CEO

-Metroid is a superior Action Adventure game that The Legend of Zelda

-Melee is still the best Smash game, Project M is vastly superior to Smash 4

-Region Locking should be terminated, point blank, no questions asked.

-Nintendo should stop making gimmicky controllers.

Let the arguments commence.

Edited on by EngieBengie

EngieBengie

Socar

DreamyViridi wrote:

@CaviarMeths - That system Valkyria Chronicles uses sounds like it could work with Fire Emblem after a couple of tweaks. I imagine the Pair Up system might cancel that out though.

The problem with the mechanic though is that it doesn't actually make the player feel like they have lost something important because Unlike Fire Emblem, you can just move the character again and again if he's in trouble. Plus, he/she can also retreat.

You know if Nintendo did do the same save feature during turns in Classic Mode, then I totally get the point that it wouldn't make much of difference. But honestly who in today's standards can spend literally hours and hours to reset the entire battle and win it without casualties? Only those who are basically having jobs that do such things like Let's plays and what not.

I want to try out Awakening again in Lunatic with Classic Mode this time, but I'm so scared because of how long it would take me to beat the main game without losing all my units. So I think Its safer for me to try out Classic mode in the next game instead, even though I'm still scared.

EngieBengie wrote:

-F-Zero should come back and be made the MAIN racing franchise for Nintendo instead of Mario Kart.

-Nintendo has some of the worst fanboys in gaming with how much they think Nintendo can never do wrong and be wrong.

1.Smash is basically designed to be competitive. The only reason why you'd play single player is because of unlocking stuff to do multiplayer.

2.The problem with that is F-Zero is harder than Mario Kart therefore making it less accessible though I agree that F-Zero needs a comeback.

3.Its weird to see SEGA fanboys still supporting SEGA despite their stupidity at times. Fanboys are fanboys whether you like it or not. In my experience being a Nintendo fanboy, Nintendo has rarely let me down or has disappointed me in any way which is something you can easily see from companies like Konami, Capcom or SEGA for that matter who easily let their fans down. Sure Nintendo is lost in their own world and they have yet to catch up with others but in terms of business and making profit, they learn from it and do stuff that works. The 3DS sold well because it took what was good from the DS and made it better.

4.You say Nintendo fanboys are down right bad and here you are praising the Gamecube better than the PS2? I too love the Gamecube but even I'll admit that the PS2 downright beated the Gamecube.

5.For everyone claiming Iwata is the bad CEO, Let's not forget that it was him that made Nintendo go back to business. The only reason why he's not doing well is because of his misunderstanding of such stuff like Region Locking and Let's plays.

6.I agree that I enjoy the Metroid games a lot better than the Zelda games but keep in mind that Metroid was inspired by combining elements of both Mario and Zelda. I guess part of me that loves Metroid is because of it being a platformer and it makes me feel in situations where if I'm stuck, I can do things myself without a guide which is something that's difficult to do in a Zelda game.

7.I'm not into the Smash series so I can't say that Melee is the best of them all because Melee is the only game I've played.

8.The fact that hackers are able to make things region free on Nintendo consoles is just laughable. But besides the process of getting different games from different regions, does it affect much in terms of sales?

9.Its funny that whenever Nintendo makes gimmicky technology, Sony and Microsoft do the same thing. The Vita has a touch pad at the back which sounds gimmicky compared to the 3DS touch screen.

I fail to understand the point of people hating gimmicky technology because the games themselves are centered through gimmicks that are actually worse than the gimmicky controls. Platform games often have these do or die situations that force the player to do things quick which is bad if the controls are bad and I have played a lot of games where the controls aren't that great and frustrate me a LOT (I'm looking at you Super Meat Boy! XD)

Even if Nintendo removes gimmicky controls, they still can't satisfy the fanboys because of the other things Nintendo has to keep in mind like reviving old franchises.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

DreamyViridi wrote:

That system Valkyria Chronicles uses sounds like it could work with Fire Emblem after a couple of tweaks. I imagine the Pair Up system might cancel that out though.

The problem with the mechanic though is that it doesn't actually make the player feel like they have lost something important because Unlike Fire Emblem, you can just move the character again and again if he's in trouble. Plus, he/she can also retreat.

Well no, not really. You can move a unit more than once, but each time at an increasing penalty to distance. If you move more than twice, you're barely moving anywhere at all. Sometimes not even a Scout can make a full egress if they're ever in a truly terrible position. And more often than not, you won't have spare commands to use. You usually have to buckle down, cover, and hope they survive through the enemy's turn.

I mean, it's usually a result of bad strategy that a single unit ends up isolated behind enemy lines, but sometimes being overrun is just unavoidable, such as the infamous Chapter 7 (Desert Duel).

And you can only retreat at bases that you control.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Socar

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

DreamyViridi wrote:

That system Valkyria Chronicles uses sounds like it could work with Fire Emblem after a couple of tweaks. I imagine the Pair Up system might cancel that out though.

Well no, not really. You can move a unit more than once, but each time at an increasing penalty to distance. If you move more than twice, you're barely moving anywhere at all. Sometimes not even a Scout can make a full egress if they're ever in a truly terrible position. And more often than not, you won't have spare commands to use. You usually have to buckle down, cover, and hope they survive through the enemy's turn.

I mean, it's usually a result of bad strategy that a single unit ends up isolated behind enemy lines, but sometimes being overrun is just unavoidable, such as the infamous Chapter 7 (Desert Duel).

And you can only retreat at bases that you control.

While the distance does reduce when you play that unit again, that doesn't matter because once they are placed right, you can easily defeat enemies/bosses with little to no challenge. The first boss you face is really a chore once you place the tank and the lancers right.

As for Retreat, if you go to the war cementary, you will learn an order called retreat which lets a unit retreat without being in a captured camp base.

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

While the distance does reduce when you play that unit again, that doesn't matter because once they are placed right, you can easily defeat enemies/bosses with little to no challenge. The first boss you face is really a chore once you place the tank and the lancers right.

As for Retreat, if you go to the war cementary, you will learn an order called retreat which lets a unit retreat without being in a captured camp base.

I'm aware of the Retreat order, but commands in a hairy situation are a very, very valuable resource. It costs a command to order a retreat. It costs another to call for reinforcement. You have to wait a turn for the reinforcement to arrive. You lost your position. One of the reasons why VC is so great is because there's a risk/reward call you have to make with every strategic decision. Sometimes you just can't justify spending 2 commands, a turn, and a valuable position to safely recover one unit.

The game isn't a cakewalk. There is certainly challenge involved.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

LzWinky

EngieBengie wrote:

I dunno about "fully" but it does embrace competitive play since it updates.

Except Nintendo would lose a lot by doing this. F-Zero is not nearly as popular as Mario Kart.

Except every company has this and your selective sample is incredibly biased.

Agreed

Obviously based on your limited knowledge of the company since you don't mention the board of directors which also makes a lot of decisions.

Nope.

Still nope

Eh, I don't really have a strong opinion either way.

Perhaps

I think Metroid is boring and terrible

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Socar

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

I'm aware of the Retreat order, but commands in a hairy situation are a very, very valuable resource. It costs a command to order a retreat. It costs another to call for reinforcement. You have to wait a turn for the reinforcement to arrive. You lost your position. One of the reasons why VC is so great is because there's a risk/reward call you have to make with every strategic decision. Sometimes you just can't justify spending 2 commands, a turn, and a valuable position to safely recover one unit.

The game isn't a cakewalk. There is certainly challenge involved.

Its nowhere near as challenging as say Awakening, I'll tell you that.

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

Its nowhere near as challenging as say Awakening, I'll tell you that.

You can solo Awakening's main story with Chrom.

DefHalan

@EngieBengie

I think only about half of your post is on topic, the other half are the Popular Gaming Opinions.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic