Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 2,101 to 2,120 of 12,088

CaviarMeths

HollywoodHogan wrote:

For every one Mario game someone points to and says "look how original it is!" (i.e Mario Sunshine, Mario 64, SM3DW, Galaxy) there are at least 5 other Mario games which are basically rehashes like the MK series, Mario Party, NSMB, etc.

I can admit many Mario Games are similar, as are many GTA games, COD, Assassins Creed, ect. But most people here will argue to the death that Mario games are all unique and different but crap all over those other game series I mentioned.

Pretty disingenuous. When people praise the Mario series, they are talking about the Super Mario main series proper and you know it. CoD and Assassin's Creed have their main series and spin-offs too, which are also always judged separately. Nobody cites Black Ops: Declassified or AC: Liberation as an example of rehashes because it goes without saying that spin-offs are going to be samey junk.

Besides, Mario Kart has one entry per platform, and nobody takes Mario Party or NSMB seriously. Both are often criticized for their lack of innovation or reason to exist.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

HollywoodHogan

CaviarMeths wrote:

HollywoodHogan wrote:

For every one Mario game someone points to and says "look how original it is!" (i.e Mario Sunshine, Mario 64, SM3DW, Galaxy) there are at least 5 other Mario games which are basically rehashes like the MK series, Mario Party, NSMB, etc.

I can admit many Mario Games are similar, as are many GTA games, COD, Assassins Creed, ect. But most people here will argue to the death that Mario games are all unique and different but crap all over those other game series I mentioned.

Pretty disingenuous. When people praise the Mario series, they are talking about the Super Mario main series proper and you know it. CoD and Assassin's Creed have their main series and spin-offs too, which are also always judged separately. Nobody cites Black Ops: Declassified or AC: Liberation as an example of rehashes because it goes without saying that spin-offs are going to be samey junk.

Besides, Mario Kart has one entry per platform, and nobody takes Mario Party or NSMB seriously. Both are often criticized for their lack of innovation or reason to exist.

My bad.

I didn't know that when responding to the blanket statement 'mario games aren't all the same' I wasn't allowed to mention the games featuring Mario that ARE all the same, and was only restricted to talking about the Mario games you personally feel "aren't all the same" and ignore the ones you tell me I should.

Thank you for this fair and balanced debate!

Friend to all SJW's

CanisWolfred

HollywoodHogan wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

HollywoodHogan wrote:

My bad.

I didn't know that when responding to the blanket statement 'mario games aren't all the same' I wasn't allowed to mention the games featuring Mario that ARE all the same, and was only restricted to talking about the Mario games you personally feel "aren't all the same" and ignore the ones you tell me I should.

I won't say you're entirely wrong, but quite frankly, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. are their own series. They're part of the Mario Franchise, but much like how you don't say "Halo is a terrible series because Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike exist" comparing the main Mario games to the other spin-off series simply isn't fair, at least in that context. Even If you're talking about the whole Mario franchise, I'd actually say it's hardly fair to series like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed to make comparisons simply based on the sheer size of Mario's franchise. I get your point from earlier: People shouldn't put down those "same-y" series just because of series like Mario when Nintendo themselves are more than willing to produce "same-y" sequels just like the rest. But I'd argue it gets as free pass because those "same-y" sequels are mostly restricted to spin-offs, and with a few exceptions (namely Mario Kart and NSMB), the Mario games Nintendo tries to put front and center are the ones that are actually different. and they have gotten flack when they didn't. NSMBU and 2 have been getting a mounting amount of backlash, and I don't think it'd go well if they tried it again. Even 3D World has been hit with a lot of apprehension from gamers due to its base similarities to other entries in the franchise.

That said, I personally think that there's a difference between a series being similar and a series being stale. My problem with Assassin's Creed isn't that it's same-y, it's that it doesn't build upon its past since the second game, at least not in ways that I could say was meaningful, with the sole exception of AC4, which I should add was more like the 8th entry in the franchise. Mario and Zelda remind me more of the Dragon Quest and Tales series, where every entry is familiar, yet the quality never drops, the new ideas feel like a natural evolution of the franchise, and when they do make drastic changes, it's often for the best.

To put it simply, familiarity and formulaic design is not necessarily a problem so long as the games stay good and make subtle changes that enhance the established gameplay. This isn't even an unpopular opinion, that's more or less most successful series, especially ones that have more than 3 games.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

HollywoodHogan wrote:

My bad.

HollywoodHogan wrote:

But most people here will argue to the death that Mario games are all unique and different but crap all over those other game series I mentioned.

"Fair and balanced." It's a fantasy. You have this goofy caricature of Nintendo fans in your mind that you poke and prod at like a child playing with an ant hill. In your small, happy world, Nintendo fans worship at the altar of Mario Party, but crap all over Assassin's Creed.

I'm not telling you to ignore anything. Nobody is talking about Mario Party 17 or NSMB 12 when they praise the Mario series. You know this. You're just pretending not to because goading Nintendo fans on the internet is super fun for you.

If you haven't picked out the name for your next username/account yet, FoxNews seems appropriate, since you're so fair and balanced.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

MajinSoul

Well, just gonna drop my opinion on this. If me and my friends are talking about Mario games, we're talking about the MAIN games and more so about the 3D ones. Why the hell would you talk about the spin offs? Just because Mario Kart is in the same universe doesn't make it a platforming game. Same goes for Mario Party (a spin off that actually got a lot of hate and criticism since the Wii came out) and the Mario sports games. Are you considering Super Smash Bros to be a Mario game aswell? Also, I'm critizing Call of Duty (as in the MAIN games and not the spin offs) because the games do too little to improve or actually change up the formula. I've bought and played every CoD from Blops to Ghost and the series does not evolve in any shape or form. The only thing they change up are the firing rate of the guns, so that you die even faster.

On the other hand, there is Assassin's Creed. I've played and bought every AC from AC 1 to AC4. AC1 was a mediocre game with a ton of potential. And guess what: AC2 took all the good things from AC1, improved on the bad things and added tons of new stuff. It's easily one of my favourite games of all times. But what happened after AC2? The series became rather stale. It's not that Brotherhood and Revelations are bad games, it's just that they don't feel any special. Then came AC3, which was quite frankly terrible. The main character was worse and the whole forest setting didn't feel right. However, AC4 did the same to AC3 as AC2 did to AC1. It's a fantastic game that took everything AC3 introduced and improved and expanded it. So yeah, while I didn't like AC3 I still appreciate the attempt to change up the formula.

Now back to the Mario games (as in the MAIN games). I've actually only played two 2D Mario games: Super Mario Bros on the Gameboy and New Super Mario Bros. U on the Wii U. I don't think NSMBU is anything special and gets completely outclassed by the Rayman games or Tropical Freeze. Since I haven't played any of the other entries in the Mario Bros. series, I can't really judge how much they have changed in NSMBU, but judging from videos I saw on youtube, it seems like they haven't changed up that much, and I think this should indeed be critized (and afaik it has been). The 3D games on the other hand are indeed vastly different. If you try to tell me that SM64, Sunshine and Galaxy all play the same I'll just shake my head. 3D World played it way too safe, though. It was a good game, but it hardly brought anything new to table. It was more about creative level design and Co-op than being diverse.

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

Utena-mobile

do you want an opinion of Mario from a "modern" gamer, or rather someone who has only jumped on the Mario train quite recently?

I never grew up with Mario, and the only Mario game I've bothered to play beginning to end was Super Mario 3d World (and that was because Nintendo Land was lame and I only had one game for my WII U for the longest time). But Mario IS kind of lame. He's just a mascot and he doesn't do anything. He's kind of like Mickey Mouse in that he's around and everyone knows about him but when was the last time he had any character development?

When I think of Mario I think of him the same way as an Angry Bird. He's there because this is a Mario game, Angry Birds are there because it's an Angry Bird game.

Which is weird, because I had a friend show me an episode of the Mario Power Hour show (or whatever that old series is called). it was cheesy (I couldn't stop laughing over the Mario "dance") but at least Mario was somebody. He had jokes, he cared about his brother Luigi, he would hang out with Peach and help people and stop Bowser. He was "real". They all were.

Luigi was a kind hearted brother who adored his older brother, and despite being a bit of a dork, was always trying to be helpful.

Peach was awesome. She would rather explore her kingdom than stay at home doing bureaucratic work. Had a strong sense of Justice and wasn't afraid of standing up for her ideals and those weaker than her.

What happened? the Mario characters in games seem like a caricature of the Mario characters from the cartoon.

You would never get any of what I mentioned from playing the games. Or at least I never did. So while the games are fun, I'm not going to be holding my breath for any future mario games, and it definitely isn't a system seller for me. I bought my Wii U for Jill Valentine and Bayonetta.

btw, Super Mario 3d World was a lot of fun. Peach is the best.

Utena-mobile

Nintendo_Ninja

RegalSin wrote:

Okay this is ridiculous. I will admit the NDS-3DS has plenty of promising Mario titles ( that is not opinion but fact ) but the Wii-WiiU is pure garbage. As in they have Bowser Koopa inside of an Cat
costume, with mario chasing him around in an cat costume. You have the Koopa kids pugly ship icons on
screen as well. Plus they make
crappy sounds.
Then lets talk about the 3d? Can you zoom in and out of the 3d
perspective?
Mario is garbage and has been garbage since the N64 game. The idea of somebody finding an portal
to another world inside an drain pipe
is possible for the times of TNMNT. To make things even more impossible is that Mario had an built
up ficitonal world as well as Link,
inside the Valiant comics universe. However Nintendo ignored that completely as an different creation.

I feel so sick writing about this stuff it makes my head trembles. Speaking of r-tarded mario fans, and Nintendophiles and slaves ( which I
was among the ranks of ). I go to
college and this disabled student ( who is barely making it in college ) is going on about Mario and the different kinds of Mario
transformations. I feel like I wanted to throw up seeing an more then enough grown man ( 17 ) who is
going on and on about Mario.

In my own opinion the respect that Mario had from when he was inside
of the SMB2 Phase is long dead.Koopa is no longer an viable oppent. In fact Nintendo "misses the mark" with Mario since "Super Mario
RPG".
The youngsters and whipper-snappers of the world do not know anything about Mario at all. They ( as with SEGA ) are the real
consumers. If they was to demand Mario to return to the awesomeness he once was I am sure people would purchase the games.

I mean dreaded omgsh, I am starting to feel dizzy from typing M-A-R-I-O every single second in this post.

Logically I should agree with you, yet I don't. Something about that game just works and it's beyond my comprehension. Maybe it's because Square were untouchable in the 90s.

Sir, I can confidently say you are one of the most insane people I've ever run into on this site, and you make absolutely no sense.

Nintendo ID Network: Nintendo_Ninja
Mario Maker ID: LR5-VQV-THG

MsJubilee

Nintendo_Ninja wrote:

RegalSin wrote:

Okay this is ridiculous. I will admit the NDS-3DS has plenty of promising Mario titles ( that is not opinion but fact ) but the Wii-WiiU is pure garbage. As in they have Bowser Koopa inside of an Cat
costume, with mario chasing him around in an cat costume. You have the Koopa kids pugly ship icons on
screen as well. Plus they make
crappy sounds.
Then lets talk about the 3d? Can you zoom in and out of the 3d
perspective?
Mario is garbage and has been garbage since the N64 game. The idea of somebody finding an portal
to another world inside an drain pipe
is possible for the times of TNMNT. To make things even more impossible is that Mario had an built
up ficitonal world as well as Link,
inside the Valiant comics universe. However Nintendo ignored that completely as an different creation.

I feel so sick writing about this stuff it makes my head trembles. Speaking of r-tarded mario fans, and Nintendophiles and slaves ( which I
was among the ranks of ). I go to
college and this disabled student ( who is barely making it in college ) is going on about Mario and the different kinds of Mario
transformations. I feel like I wanted to throw up seeing an more then enough grown man ( 17 ) who is
going on and on about Mario.

In my own opinion the respect that Mario had from when he was inside
of the SMB2 Phase is long dead.Koopa is no longer an viable oppent. In fact Nintendo "misses the mark" with Mario since "Super Mario
RPG".
The youngsters and whipper-snappers of the world do not know anything about Mario at all. They ( as with SEGA ) are the real
consumers. If they was to demand Mario to return to the awesomeness he once was I am sure people would purchase the games.

I mean dreaded omgsh, I am starting to feel dizzy from typing M-A-R-I-O every single second in this post.

Logically I should agree with you, yet I don't. Something about that game just works and it's beyond my comprehension. Maybe it's because Square were untouchable in the 90s.

Sir, I can confidently say you are one of the most insane people I've ever run into on this site, and you make absolutely no sense.

And that's why he's my favorite user on this site.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Nintendo_Ninja

Are many Mario games similar? Yes. NSMB Wii, NSMB DS, and NSMB U are all similar (NSMB 2 is very different). Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World are also pretty similar. Besides those and Mario Party, none of them seem to be that similar. Mariokart is practically a new experience every time, and every 3D Mario game seems different from the rest.

BearHunger

And also Super Mario Galaxy 2 is very similar to Super Mario Galaxy.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Nintendo_Ninja

BearHunger wrote:

And also Super Mario Galaxy 2 is very similar to Super Mario Galaxy.

It's because Galaxy 2 wasn't supposed to be its own game. After making Galaxy 1, the dev team came up with more new ideas and level design and decided to make a sequel.

iKhan

RegalSin wrote:

Okay this is ridiculous. I will admit the NDS-3DS has plenty of promising Mario titles ( that is not opinion but fact ) but the Wii-WiiU is pure garbage. As in they have Bowser Koopa inside of an Cat costume, with mario chasing him around in an cat costume. You have the Koopa kids pugly ship icons on screen as well. Plus they make crappy sounds.

Then lets talk about the 3d? Can you zoom in and out of the 3d perspective?

Mario is garbage and has been garbage since the N64 game. The idea of somebody finding an portal to another world inside an drain pipe is possible for the times of TNMNT. To make things even more impossible is that Mario had an built up ficitonal world as well as Link, inside the Valiant comics universe. However Nintendo ignored that completely as an different creation.

I feel so sick writing about this stuff it makes my head trembles. Speaking of r-tarded mario fans, and Nintendophiles and slaves ( which I was among the ranks of ). I go to college and this disabled student ( who is barely making it in college ) is going on about Mario and the different kinds of Mario transformations. I feel like I wanted to throw up seeing an more then enough grown man ( 17 ) who is going on and on about Mario.

In my own opinion the respect that Mario had from when he was inside of the SMB2 Phase is long dead. Koopa is no longer an viable oppent. In fact Nintendo "misses the mark" with Mario since "Super Mario RPG".

The youngsters and whipper-snappers of the world do not know anything about Mario at all. They ( as with SEGA ) are the real consumers. If they was to demand Mario to return to the awesomeness he once was I am sure people would purchase the games.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

TingLz wrote:

Super Mario RPG is vastly overrated and a big borefest

That was because in the minds of the original consumers, they wanted to play FF7. FF7 at that point in time was all the rage, and Nintendo needed to hold foot to their fans. The fans responded through letters, and Nintendo obvious saw the increase in RPG merchandise, along with square.

What makes it works? Because No.1 the graphics was creative and representive ( as with all or most RPG games ) and people actually enjoyed the world of Mario ( Mushroom Kingdom inside my imagination ). So people kind figured out how to meld their image of Valiant Mario with Mario the Nintendo Comic and etc Mario. To make things even more fun as with Music Videos and AMV many official commercials and Unofficial comics of Mario also increased it.

But the real reason why this game was fun is the same reason why Muppets are still trendy to some reason ( I mean omgsh Mhuppets ewwwwhhhh ), People had this ficitonal world of Mario that was focused and built ( unlike muppets ) and unlike that thing, I just mentioned was believable and cool.

Take Marios, fireball in SMRPG. He raises his hands and the Icon of the Raccon Leaf from SMB3 appears ( but is suppose to be an fire flower ) and he blast the living daylights out of something. Take Koopa and his giant Mecha Koopa launches from the sky? Where does it come from? Is it summoned? does it drop from the Airship???? Wouldn't it be auwsome if Koopa had an Doomship attack as with FF6 Setzer. Things like that. The game was also very fun and felt like an cartoon/animation of Mario that would play about.

Omgsh my head hurts from typing this garbage. But this is gold to us people who have been drilled with the idea of Mario.

Thank you for the laugh.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Socar

With all due respect guys, wasn't my argument about the fact that when Other platformers that do the same thing like Mario end up being great but when Mario does the same thing, it ends up not being great? But I digress.

The next thing that a lot of gamers say is having perma death in Fire Emblem. Does it really do much of difference when the player chooses Casual Mode or Classic mode? The fact is that you would still have to restart based on the bad situation and most of the time, its luck that counts. Honestly, I can't think of newcomers who would choose the Classic Mode simply because of the fact that they never played a Tactical RPG game let alone a Fire Emblem game.

Heck forget even the modes but I wonder who would in today's standards spend hours and hours battling to just save their units alone? I feel like permadeath needs to be tweeked a little. Not too much but a little. I'm sure that guys like Juan Ortiz from SomeCallMeJohnny would immediately say stuff like this.

Edited on by Socar

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

With all due respect guys, wasn't my argument about the fact that when Other platformers that do the same thing like Mario end up being great but when Mario does the same thing, it ends up not being great? But I digress.

The next thing that a lot of gamers say is having perma death in Fire Emblem. Does it really do much of difference when the player chooses Casual Mode or Classic mode? The fact is that you would still have to restart based on the bad situation and most of the time, its luck that counts. Honestly, I can't think of newcomers who would choose the Classic Mode simply because of the fact that they never played a Tactical RPG game let alone a Fire Emblem game.

Heck forget even the modes but I wonder who would in today's standards spend hours and hours battling to just save their units alone? I feel like permadeath needs to be tweeked a little. Not too much but a little. I'm sure that guys like Juan Ortiz from SomeCallMeJohnny would immediately say stuff like this.

So what's your unpopular opinion on permadeath in Fire Emblem?

Socar

@CaviarMeths I don't honestly see the point of enjoying Classic mode better than on the Casual mode because you still would have to keep restarting at either the beginning or at some point and even Casual mode does the same where you only have two slots to save during battle.

Edited on by Socar

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

I don't honestly see the point of enjoying Classic mode better than on the Casual mode because you still would have to keep restarting at either the beginning or at some point and even Casual mode does the same where you only have two slots to save during battle.

Unless you lost a unit that was crucial to your strategy, why would you restart a chapter in Casual mode?

Socar

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

I don't honestly see the point of enjoying Classic mode better than on the Casual mode because you still would have to keep restarting at either the beginning or at some point and even Casual mode does the same where you only have two slots to save during battle.

Unless you lost a unit that was crucial to your strategy, why would you restart a chapter in Casual mode?

Because I'm too emotional to lose my units like that........

CaviarMeths

Artwark wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Artwark wrote:

Because I'm too emotional to lose my units like that........

Well yeah, I get that in Classic mode, but why in Casual?

LzWinky

Casual mode has a purpose. If you lose a unit at the very end of a battle, you're screwed in Classic, but you can still finish in Casual and be fine.

Perma-death is pointless and overrated anyway

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Geonjaha

TingLz wrote:

Perma-death is pointless and overrated anyway

Spoken like a true Casual, incapable of living with mistakes.
Regardless, I'm glad that Casual mode exists, if people want to play without consequences I'm glad they have the choice.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic