Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 161 to 180 of 12,088

R_Champ

CaviarMeths wrote:

Gamecubed wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

very, very few games handle romance well (I blame 80% of developers being male for this).

I agree.
I also think men sometimes have a hard time writing women, so it makes any sort of romance even more difficult to write.

The problem is that most writers will stick to writing what they know, and yeah, being that most writers in the industry are men, women tend to go mis/underrepresented. Some men are very capable of writing women, and some women are very capable of writing men, but best case scenario of course is to have a healthy balance of influences and experiences. Too bad female video game writers are still a rare breed. And GOOD writers at that. Women writing women isn't any guarantee of quality either (see: Twilight, 50 Shades, Harlequin romance).

But yeah, I think as an optional thing, game romance is a nice thing. A lot of people "ship" anyway, so why not build it into the game?

"The problem is that most writers will stick to writing what they know"

Um, so the better alternative would be to writing something you don't know in order to appease hipster critics? Gotcha...

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

GuSolarFlare

CaviarMeths wrote:

Gamecubed wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

very, very few games handle romance well (I blame 80% of developers being male for this).

I agree.
I also think men sometimes have a hard time writing women, so it makes any sort of romance even more difficult to write.

The problem is that most writers will stick to writing what they know, and yeah, being that most writers in the industry are men, women tend to go mis/underrepresented. Some men are very capable of writing women, and some women are very capable of writing men, but best case scenario of course is to have a healthy balance of influences and experiences. Too bad female video game writers are still a rare breed. And GOOD writers at that. Women writing women isn't any guarantee of quality either (see: Twilight, 50 Shades, Harlequin romance).

But yeah, I think as an optional thing, game romance is a nice thing. A lot of people "ship" anyway, so why not build it into the game?

nah, I blame two specific groups(I won't state them directly to protect myself from one of them. the other is the usual, mespecially when it comes to Nintendo gaming, but I could be banned from NL for complaining about the other of those groups, maybe but I'm not willing to risk) that whine at every romance thing in gaming, they are completely different groups but they have their own reasons and can't stop being loud about it.

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CaviarMeths

R_Champ wrote:

Um, so the better alternative would be to writing something you don't know in order to appease hipster critics? Gotcha...

Er... wut?

I'm a little tired, so try picking a fight with me some other time. ;P

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

DarkCoolEdge

Bravely Default is a very overrated game (it is good but not the savior people say).

The Uncharted games are good but their gameplay is far from great.

Super Mario 3D World is a big step backwards for 3D Marios.

Mario Kart 7 is uninspired.

Tales of the Abyss combat is not fun.

The Avengers movie is fun but its story is bad.

My favorite Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are both Captain America's.

Man of Steel is NOT a good movie.

The NBA has the best players in the world but not the best matches. I like FIBA games better.

Currently playing: check my backloggery
http://www.backloggery.com/DarkCoolEdge

3DS Friend Code: 3265-5151-4824 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkCoolEdge | Twitter:

Z64

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is a chore to play and one of the weakest Zelda titles, after Spirit Tracks.

Z64

Nintendo Network ID: Zabba64 | Twitter:

lamco

I prefer handhelds to home consoles, because they are more comfortable and my hand-eye co-ordination some what feels better.

I have a ghost type safari with phanump +shuppet +?

3DS Friend Code: 4527-8492-5215 | Nintendo Network ID: Difficvlt

LzWinky

Samus is overrated

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Ash_Anne

DarkCoolEdge wrote:

Super Mario 3D World is a big step backwards for 3D Marios.

Mario Kart 7 is uninspired.

I completely agree with you. I ended up selling Mario Kart 7 because I was just so bored while playing it. I also played Super Mario 3D World and I was pretty disappointed with it as well.

3DS Friend code: 1203-9222-1363
Twitter: Ash_Hose

Sleepingmudkip

DestinyMan wrote:

• I hate M-rated games, and that the video game market is flooded with them

I agree

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Maelstrom

DarkCoolEdge wrote:

Man of Steel is NOT a good movie.

This is not an unpopular opinion. I have never heard someone say it was any good. While it may be the best superman movie, it is still terrible compared to everything else

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

DiscoDriver43

Men in Black 3 was a good movie on it's own merits.

Shaky Cam as the bane of movies everywhere.

I don't mind the increasing amount of T and M rated games.

I don't get the hate for Temple of Doom.

Windows XP should have died years ago.

I for one, would love to see Nintendo try their hand at story-telling. Like a kid-friendly Uncharted or something

Edited on by DiscoDriver43

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

brooks83

Tasuki wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

brooks83 wrote:

Top Gear on SNES was a better racing game than Super Mario Kart.

OMG someone else who thinks that too.

Haha, yeah that game was awesome, with an amazing soundtrack as well! It needs to come to the VC.

Yeah what's funny is I have been humming the soundtrack the last few days even though its been sometime since I played the game. I remember renting that game all the time when I was a kid. The one day when Toys R Us were getting rid of their SNES games to make room for the N64 I picked it up for $5 dollars. Think this weekend I am going to have to hook up the SNES and go a few laps.

Wow that's crazy, I bought my copy at Toys R Us back then too. I bought a lot of other games at that sale too including Castlevania Bloodlines for the Genesis and two copies of NES Startropics, one is still sealed.

brooks83

RR529

DiscoDriver43 wrote:

I don't mind the increasing amount of T and M rated games.

Actually, the amount of "T" rated games seems to be decreasing (since most of the former big "T" rated franchises, like Tomb Raider, Castlevania, Twisted Metal, etc, have all been rebooted this past gen to be "M" rated. Heck, even the newest Ace Attorney game made the jump to "M").

Yes, first party studios still make "T" rated games (because they have to appeal to all audiences to sell consoles), but it seems like you can't get a third party dev to make a "T" game in this day & age, other than the occasional licensed game (like DC, Marvel, Star Wars, & LotR stuff).

It's this way for western developers at least, Japanese developers still seem to make a lot of "T" rated games (and when a Japanese developer does make an "M" rated game, it's usualy made with the western market in mind, which I don't think is a coincidence).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I'm gonna have some fun, though I don't too frequently disagree with the general opinion...

-Buying New Super Mario Bros 2 was actively disrespecting Nintendo's creativity, which is one of the many reasons I didn't get it.
-New Super Mario Bros. Wii is simultaneously really fun and not very good
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star is actually a not bad game at least, but deserves all the hate it gets because of the disturbing trend on retro obsession Mario gaming that even normal Nintendo fans have to find a bit pathetically pandering. And that's in a world where NES Remix exists, think about that for a second.

what I'm saying is feel bad as a human being, clearly

-Link's Awakening is easily the best 2D Zelda
-OOT is both excellent and really overrated, screw you extreme internet opinions
-same with LTTP
-the more aggressive defenders of Other M should go to a creative writing class and then apologize to people
-the original Metroid is interesting but has aged incredibly poorly
-same with Kid Icarus
-Little King's Story is better than any Pikmin game
-Advance Wars > Fire Emblem
-Sin and Punishment games and Gunstar Heroes (or at least the GBA one) are weaker examples of Treasure. Mischief Makers and Astro Boy: Omega Factors are Treasure games done completely right.
-Rayman Legends is the best co-op 2d platformer
-Vanquish isn't great just because Platinum made it, get over it internet
-Rhythm Heaven and Xenoblade Chronicles are the best games Nintendo has been involved with post-MarioGalaxy 1
-Wii U is the only console worth getting if you are into PC gaming
-if it wasn't for the consistent great releases nowadays (which is admittedly mostly what matters), 3DS would be the BIGGEST disappointment after last gen innovation from Nintendo
-Sonic Colors is the best 3D Sonic (barring maybe Generations, which I haven't played yet)
-Dawn of Sorrow is better than the GBA Castlevanias
-Megaman Legends is a Zelda-like, and thus is actually the best Megaman game I've played. Because it's a Zelda-like.
-My experience with Final Fantasy XIII is the worst moments of storytelling I've ever seen in video games
-There should not be an official 4th Mother game, because you probably will never top Mother 3
-Project X Zone is one of the best crossover games ever (despite being like a 7/10 game)
-Banjo Kazooie is the best 3D platformer ever, barring maybe Mario Galaxy
-Mass Effect 1 was more of a sellout than 2, fanboys for 1 are weird and pretend it is some definitive and pure RPG experience.
-Open world gaming would be better if they stopped trying to be huge and instead tried to be Arkham City (even considering the fact that I prefer the occasional huge open world game, but most of them need to just stop)
-Unless you are Gears of War or Mass Effect, plz stop being a 3rd person cover shooter
-Nintendo Land is better than Wii Sports
-Early N64 games of arguable quality like Bomberman 64 and Chameleon Twist still have a superior understanding of level design compared to most popular FPS of the past decade
-Goldeneye Wii is better than many of those FPS and the Modern Warfare sequels specifically
-Little Inferno was the best Wii U launch title

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blast

The Last of Us has to be one of the biggest overrated games I ever saw in my life. The only thing that game can brag about its great voice acting and scenery. I found everything else in the game to be mediocre and borderline awful. It does not deserve all the awards and praise it gets. But... that's just my opinion.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Stude

I like Way Forward.

Team Splattershot Jr.
3DS friend code: 5000-2563-9647

Nintendo Network ID: Stu000

6ch6ris6

zelda games have become incredible boring, because it's always the same stuff

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

CaviarMeths
  • Even when Resident Evil was good, it really wasn't THAT good. The controls were awful and the fixed camera only added to the frustration, not the horror.
  • Overly sexualized characters in video games is a total non-issue.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic