Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 12,088

LzWinky

Even after Sony's presentation, I have no reason to get the PS4

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

kkslider5552000

WaLzgi wrote:

Even after Sony's presentation, I have no reason to get the PS4

Well obviously. They've had fantastic presentations filled with exciting games that...you can mostly (or eventually) get elsewhere.

I feel like PS4's biggest long term problem is gonna be if people want more than one gaming system of any type.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Drawdler

iKhan wrote:

Pokemon has lost sight of what it used to be. Being "for all ages" shouldn't mean there is a complex competitive scene that you requires you spend hours on end in an heavily watered down RPG experience. If they want to cater to a competitive scene, announce an official battle simulator that people can buy, where they can build their own Pokemon.

Pokemon doesn't need to be Final Fantasy, but I feel like with each new installment, most new features focus on making it easier to train Pokemon. At the same time, elements that made the in-game experience great, like a non-linear world, limited TMs that require some thoughts and strategy, more complex gyms and caves to navigate, among a number of other things have been reduced in favor of making the main RPG easier and more convenient.

Speaking of Pokemon, here's another unpopular thought. Event Pokemon are a horrible practice. It's essentially on-disc DLC that happens to be free for the purchase of selling some other merchandise. Even outside of the moral issues, Event Pokemon have been watering down the gameplay since GSC. Having random locations in the world that don't do anything outside of events (usually Japan exclusive ones), creates a world full of fake secrets you may never "discover". What they should do is make what used to be Event pokemon into super obscure secrets that are hard to find. Create a sense of mystery, and give the player the joy of finding something like that. They can still have events where they give these pokemon out, but they shouildn't be completely inacccessible.

Last point. They need to quit caring about story in Pokemon. GSC is my favorite in the series, and it has a throwaway story. That's because Pokemon isn't about story. Putting story in is like putting story in a Mario platformer.

Aside from the story (which I want to be like B/W) and TMs (which are annoying going back to IV and before- if they're too generous now, I think the good ones should just be made harder to get), I completely agree. And events are even worse now. You don't even get to go to a secret place or get an extra event for most of them, because they're all just handed to you in VI. I didn't like them in Gen IV/V either, but at least you actually had to catch and earn some of them (Darkrai, Shaymin and Victini). Without that, they feel less like special, rare, powerful Pokémon.

Edited on by Drawdler

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | darkSpyro | Ghostroaster | Reddit

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

Yoshi_Prime

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Yoshi_Prime wrote:

I don't consider Yoshi's Story a sequel to Yoshi's Island. Both games had Yoshi in it... and then the similarities kind of die out. I consider them both separate games that stand on their own really well. Personally, I like Yoshi's Story better. One of my favorite games. I wish they had made a sequel to that rather than Yoshi's Island, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't entirely agree but Yoshi's Story general gameplay I remember being better. I just wish it had more levels and didn't try too hard to appeal to kids (and I say that as a Kirby fan, so that's saying something...and it didn't make sense if you remember the later castle levels...). I think if we made a Yoshi's island, with Yoshi's Story's gameplay, Wooly World's art style, as made by the Mario Galaxy guys, we would have the perfect platformer.

Let's get started on that one, Nintendo.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

This is the last generation for handheld gaming consoles as we currently know them. Nintendo may continue to produce a side niche device, but there won't be heavy support for it. I think next generation we will likely see Nintendo try to work with the smart device industry to make something that is more competitive to a large audience though.

I disagree. I'm expecting Nintendo to at most, make a gaming handheld that has a lot of iPad friendly things to advertise with. Or a Nintendo DS Smart Phone or whatever. Maybe even something closer to the App store instead of the eShop(god forbid).

If Nintendo (and really the gaming industry) went to a more app store-like free to play microtransactions early access full Kickstarter thing, I would quit buying games entirely and just play stuff from previous generations. Never forget.

Yoshi_Prime

Drawdler

And another Pokémon thing, by the way:
I think Iris has one of the best champion battle themes

sub12

The Crew, despite having a dumb story and some obvious flaws, is actually a very enjoyable arcade racer, especially if you like the notion of exploring a minturaized sandbox United States.

sub12

iKhan

Drawdler wrote:

That's not unpopular. I hear that said all the time. And personally, I hate it. It's all cheerful and exciting. It's something I'd expect from an ending credits song. Putting it in the champion battle is like playing "Raindrops keep falling on my head" in a horror movie.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

LzWinky

I dunno if I posted these before, but what the heck:

1. I don't care if a system is region-locked
2. I only buy a game if it appeals to me. I don't care about the developer or publisher unless they appeal to me and/or have a good track record
3. Nintendo's marketing did well this year with plenty of commercials. I do however wish they would market old games too
4. Nintendo is just as good if not better as they were back in the NES/SNES days
5. Old games are not always better. Nostalgia is overrated

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

CaviarMeths

iKhan wrote:

Drawdler wrote:

That's not unpopular. I hear that said all the time. And personally, I hate it. It's all cheerful and exciting. It's something I'd expect from an ending credits song. Putting it in the champion battle is like playing "Raindrops keep falling on my head" in a horror movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEp-XtGOp0s

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Drawdler

^ The video is unavailable. Spoopy!

iKhan wrote:

Drawdler wrote:

I hear that a lot more. It gets me pumped up in the same way as Rainbow Road. It's like, it's the end, and you finally get a chance to try and beat the champion. And even if you fail, you made it that far. But it is jarring next to the serious Victory Road/League/E4 music. At least it's better than Alder's theme, which feels more like some kind of Gym Leader or Frontier Brain music...

Edited on by Drawdler

unrandomsam

WaLzgi wrote:

I dunno if I posted these before, but what the heck:
2. I only buy a game if it appeals to me. I don't care about the developer or publisher unless they appeal to me and/or have a good track record

That is the norm. Same mentality as children not wanting to try new foods.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

PanicPuppet

There were really no DS games that appealed to me, so I skipped the entire DS gen. Now I'm being very picky with what 3DS games I get. I only have 3 as of now, not counting the digital VC/eShop games.

I guess the GBA games I played were just too amazing to compare to.

Edited on by PanicPuppet

PanicPuppet

iKhan

Drawdler wrote:

^ The video is unavailable. Spoopy!

iKhan wrote:

Drawdler wrote:

I hear that a lot more. It gets me pumped up in the same way as Rainbow Road. It's like, it's the end, and you finally get a chance to try and beat the champion. And even if you fail, you made it that far. But it is jarring next to the serious Victory Road/League/E4 music. At least it's better than Alder's theme, which feels more like some kind of Gym Leader or Frontier Brain music...

I guess that makes sense. I'm still not big on it IMO, nothing can beat Lance/Red from GSC. The slow build up to such an intense theme is just perfect. It's probably my favorite boss theme ever.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Grumblevolcano

I like the Spirit Train stage a lot.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

Super Mario 64 has awful controls and bland music.

The stage selection in Smash 3DS is superior to the Wii U version.

Super Mario World is the least fun I've had with a 2D Mario platformer. I actually prefer Super Mario Bros. 2.

The original Legend of Zelda is an exercise in endless frustration, topped in this regard only by its sequel.

I don't care for what I've played of Super Metroid, and prefer the GBA entries in the series on every level.

The original Metroid is almost unplayable for me.

Wii U > Nintendo 64

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

CaviarMeths

Yoshi's Wooly World and Kirby's Canvas Curse both look incredibly boring, even with the lovely art direction.

Almost every NES game is borderline unplayable.

The NES and N64 are the worst Nintendo consoles. The Wii and Wii U are the best.

DmC is one of the better Devil May Cry games.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Dave24

SpookyMeths wrote:

DmC is one of the better Devil May Cry games.

Well, duh... Even Ninja Blade and NG3 combined are better than DMC2. I'll take anything over that borefest. I'll rather rip my hair out with the first God of War.

With NES I could agree on some games (like Castlevania 3 - that game was relentless and without mercy), but not most. I can say for myself that to me some of the 90s PC games are unplayable, like HoM&M2 - every time I turn that on, after few minutes I feel like my eyes are burning. Same with some early 360 games, like Lost Planet or Dead Rising.

Dave24

Yoshi_Prime

When games have such divisive ratings - critics love it, consumers hate it - I tend to believe that the true result is somewhere in the middle.

Yoshi_Prime

sub12

LightSuitGuy wrote:

There were really no DS games that appealed to me, so I skipped the entire DS gen. Now I'm being very picky with what 3DS games I get. I only have 3 as of now, not counting the digital VC/eShop games.

I guess the GBA games I played were just too amazing to compare to.

I very much agree with this, the GBA feels like an evolution of the SNES heyday, 16 bit goodness in everyway (although the GBA is technically a 2D based 32bit machine)........most of the DS generation just felt gimmicky and unappealing to me, outside of a few gems like Contra 4 and NSMB.

sub12

ThePirateCaptain

Yoshi_Prime wrote:

When games have such divisive ratings - critics love it, consumers hate it - I tend to believe that the true result is somewhere in the middle.

That's because most games like that are riding such a gigantic hype train that they're bound for disappointment. People these days get their expectations too high and the media doesn't help the issue.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic