Forums

Topic: Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Posts 1,001 to 1,020 of 12,088

8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths wrote:

Again, Reggie was disappointed that Other M didn't sell 1,000,000 copies in America through its first holiday, even though the best selling game in the series, Prime, didn't even manage half that. That's an incredibly unrealistic expectation and I'm not sure why he even held it.

Except Metroid Prime obviously did meet somebody's expectations, considering they made 2 direct sequels, a handheld entry, and even a Pinball game. Not to mention, the GameCube had a downright tiny install base in comparison to the Wii at the time of Other M's launch. Also, IIRC, Nintendo spent a lot of effort marketing and hyping the game up. (Just look at the old trailers)

CaviarMeths wrote:

It's even more insane that you hold him to that expectation though, considering you didn't even like the game. Reggie thought the game was great and expected it to sell a million. You thought the game sucked and expected it to sell... a million...

You expect Reggie to come out and just flat out say his company's new big-budget game sucks? I don't think I'm the one with bad expectations.

Edited on by 8BitSamurai

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths

8BitSamurai wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Again, Reggie was disappointed that Other M didn't sell 1,000,000 copies in America through its first holiday, even though the best selling game in the series, Prime, didn't even manage half that. That's an incredibly unrealistic expectation and I'm not sure why he even held it.

Except Metroid Prime obviously did meet somebody's expectations, considering they made 2 direct sequels, a handheld entry, and even a Pinball game. Not to mention, the GameCube had a downright tiny install base in comparison to the Wii at the time of Other M's launch. Also, IIRC, Nintendo spent a lot of effort marketing and hyping the game up. (Just look at the old trailers)

Prime met considerably lower and more realistic expectations, and definitely exceeded them. Good thing Reggie didn't have the same ludicrous expectations for Prime as he did for Other M, or we may never have gotten Prime 2.

And the install base argument is invalid. Prime 3 didn't outsell Prime 1. Neither did Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, or any other Metroid on a system with a much larger install base. Prime 1 was a phenomenon. It wasn't the series norm and it hasn't been repeated since.

8BitSamurai wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

It's even more insane that you hold him to that expectation though, considering you didn't even like the game. Reggie thought the game was great and expected it to sell a million. You thought the game sucked and expected it to sell... a million...

You expect Reggie to come out and just flat out say his company's new big-budget game sucks? I don't think I'm the one with bad expectations.

In other words "Reggie thinks it sucks because I think it sucks, and that is the full extent of my argument."

Reggie isn't going to badmouth his new big-budget game, but that doesn't mean he thought it sucks. He said he liked it, and chances are he really did.

And the reason the 30-minute video is self-gratifying is because it was made by someone who hated Other M for other people who hated Other M. It's not made for potential customers or fans of the game. It's made for like-minded individuals. It's a rant, a half-hour video with about 5 minutes of actual critical analysis, and it's a rallying point for everyone who hated the game. If you really think that video is intended for use as a counter-argument against people defend the game, you're kidding yourself.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

DiscoDriver43

Kodeen wrote:

GameStop, and other dedicated gaming retail stores, are for chumps. New games are always more expensive than Amazon, used games are always more expensive than ebay, and in both cases they apply stickers directly to the DVD case. The only benefit is if you absolutely have to have a game today, but even then you're still better off going to Best Buy or some other generalist store.

Not to mention their used game boxes look ugly

http://www.backloggery.com/discodriver43

Recently watched films: The Martian

Currently playing: Max Payne

8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Prime met considerably lower and more realistic expectations, and definitely exceeded them. Good thing Reggie didn't have the same ludicrous expectations for Prime as he did for Other M, or we may never have gotten Prime 2.

And the install base argument is invalid. Prime 3 didn't outsell Prime 1. Neither did Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, or any other Metroid on a system with a much larger install base. Prime 1 was a phenomenon. It wasn't the series norm and it hasn't been repeated since.

Other M rightfully had higher expectations because A) It was coming right off the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful part of the franchise, B) Nintendo put more effort into hyping it than most other Metroids, likely all of them, and C) It was on the Wii, a system known for big sales and success for Nintendo games. Instead, it struggles to even meet the numbers of the lower-selling Prime games.

8BitSamurai wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

In other words "Reggie thinks it sucks because I think it sucks, and that is the full extent of my argument."

Reggie isn't going to badmouth his new big-budget game, but that doesn't mean he thought it sucks. He said he liked it, and chances are he really did.

And the reason the 30-minute video is self-gratifying is because it was made by someone who hated Other M for other people who hated Other M. It's not made for potential customers or fans of the game. It's made for like-minded individuals. It's a rant, a half-hour video with about 5 minutes of actual critical analysis, and it's a rallying point for everyone who hated the game. If you really think that video is intended for use as a counter-argument against people defend the game, you're kidding yourself.

I love this one. Because I point out that a high ranking executive won't badmouth his company's new products, I think that he hates the game, and that that's my entire argument. You, on the other hand, are free to decide if he likes it or not. Good one.

And now because somebody thought badly of it, they're self-gratifying. It's obviously suuposed to be a rant. And yes, the whole point is to counter Other M fans who never seem to stop trying to defend this severely, severely flawed game.

WhiteNoise17

Main series Pokemon games are starting to get boring, now don't get me wrong the games are good and still highly addictive but they haven't expanded upon the Battle and Trade formula, which still needs to be the basis, but rather than going on a new adventure with each new game I feel like I've been paying money to play an update in a with new settings, characters and with more of those creatures I love. I want a deeper experience with one like how you can interact with the world through what we've seen in its other forms( like the anime) having my own goal than just having to "catch em all" or playing online with the people who spend weeks to make his or her own elite fighting force to battle others, I don't know if they get bored and I'm not asking for a deep story of Love and friendship or "THE REAL TRUE POWER OF TEAMWORK", and I still love the games, I just wanna experience the poke-world my way.

Edited on by WhiteNoise17

Capcom at E3: Guys we're sorry about how we've been treating Mega Man so we're gonna make it up to you by releasing the Mega Man Cancelled Collection with all the titles we cancelled in the condition they we're in just before we pulled the plug. Now who wants Street Fighter X Monster Hunter?

CaviarMeths

8BitSamurai wrote:

Other M rightfully had higher expectations because A) It was coming right off the most critically acclaimed and commercially successful part of the franchise, B) Nintendo put more effort into hyping it than most other Metroids, likely all of them, and C) It was on the Wii, a system known for big sales and success for Nintendo games. Instead, it struggles to even meet the numbers of the lower-selling Prime games.

Yeah, because there are so many other comparable examples of a long-established franchise tripling its audience over a couple years because of a good game and great marketing. There was uh... The Dark Knight, I guess? I think that might count.

8BitSamurai wrote:

I love this one. Because I point out that a high ranking executive won't badmouth his company's new products, I think that he hates the game, and that that's my entire argument. You, on the other hand, are free to decide if he likes it or not. Good one.

Yes, I say he probably liked it because he said he liked it. I'm going with "he's not lying" as my assumption. That's not based on my personal thoughts on the game or on Reggie. That's based on a statement he made in which he said he thought it was a good game. You're the one taking the same statement and twisting it to mean something else entirely. There's really no reason to believe he's lying, other than confirmation bias (you want his statement to be a lie because it would confirm your own views of the game).

8BitSamurai wrote:

And now because somebody thought badly of it, they're self-gratifying. It's obviously suuposed to be a rant. And yes, the whole point is to counter Other M fans who never seem to stop trying to defend this severely, severely flawed game.

It's a video for like-minded individuals. The only people who are going to bother watching the entire thing are people who already hate Other M. It's a rallying point, where people who hated the game can all gather around and trash it. It really has no other purpose. It's preaching to the choir. If it was intended as counter-argument to the game's defenders, it would be 5 minutes long and concise, leaving out all the ranting and raving about how it's not like Metroid Prime.

No one who likes the game is going to watch and take in 5 minutes of counter-argument hidden in 30 minutes of ranting. The like/dislike bar on the video is pretty indicative who the audience of that video is. It's about 80% likes, but it's completely ridiculous to say that 80% of the people who bought Other M think it's an abomination or that 80% of the people who liked the game saw the video and thought "Oh man, I guess it really is an abomination, this guy changed my mind."

It's like saying that the purpose of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report is to convert conservative republicans to liberalism. Lol @ that sentiment.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Maelstrom

Imop, the Paper Mario series was never that great.

Link's Awakening is the most creative Zelda game. Period.

Bravely Default is one of the best and most consistently good soundtracks ever.

The Etrian Odyssey series is incredibly underrated.

My video game arrangements (sheet music for piano)
Check in for new sheets every Monday. There's lots of Fire Emblem arrangements coming.

Nintendo Network ID: aginor

8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Yes, I say he probably liked it because he said he liked it. I'm going with "he's not lying" as my assumption. That's not based on my personal thoughts on the game or on Reggie. That's based on a statement he made in which he said he thought it was a good game. You're the one taking the same statement and twisting it to mean something else entirely. There's really no reason to believe he's lying, other than confirmation bias (you want his statement to be a lie because it would confirm your own views of the game).

I couldn't care less what Reggie thinks of the game, he might like it, he might not. But he's obviously going to say that he does, considering, you know, he's one of the head executives trying to sell the thing. Unless you know him personally, there's no way to know what he thinks or what games he likes. You might want to read my posts again, BTW, considering I never actually said I thought he didn't like it.

CaviarMeths wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

It's a video for like-minded individuals. The only people who are going to bother watching the entire thing are people who already hate Other M. It's a rallying point, where people who hated the game can all gather around and trash it. It really has no other purpose. It's preaching to the choir. If it was intended as counter-argument to the game's defenders, it would be 5 minutes long and concise, leaving out all the ranting and raving about how it's not like Metroid Prime.

No one who likes the game is going to watch and take in 5 minutes of counter-argument hidden in 30 minutes of ranting. The like/dislike bar on the video is pretty indicative who the audience of that video is. It's about 80% likes, but it's completely ridiculous to say that 80% of the people who bought Other M think it's an abomination or that 80% of the people who liked the game saw the video and thought "Oh man, I guess it really is an abomination, this guy changed my mind."

It's like saying that the purpose of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report is to convert conservative republicans to liberalism. Lol @ that sentiment.

Who cares who it's for? Why don't we, you know, talk about what he actually said in the video? Which is to say, the many, many flaws of Other M. But nope, let's ignore all of those because "it's a rallying point", thus making them all points null and void, no matter how sound.

CanisWolfred

Kodeen wrote:

GameStop, and other dedicated gaming retail stores, are for chumps. New games are always more expensive than Amazon, used games are always more expensive than ebay, and in both cases they apply stickers directly to the DVD case. The only benefit is if you absolutely have to have a game today, but even then you're still better off going to Best Buy or some other generalist store.

I don't know about you, but the "Generalist stores" around here don't have even 1/4 the selection of even the smallest Gamestops in town, and those Generalist shops never sell even pure shovelware under $20 even if its been 10 years since its release. The only other option we even have is a retro-focused shop who never does sales or deals, which btw, is still usually reasonably priced, and much more convenient than eBay. In fact, I'm surprised you listed eBay as if it's a go-to shop. Personally, with all the rigamarole I gotta go through every time I'm on that site (And I mean a LOT of rigamarole) that I honestly find it to be my absolute last resort, especially for anything recent. Amazon's competitively priced, but they charge quite a bit for shipping if you don't go super saver, and going with random sellers is just as risky, if not moreso, than eBay, so I have to spend at minimum $35. I don't like to spend more than $30 at a time. Most of the time it's difficult to even find something to get me to that $35, too. And Super Saver means I have to go with the slowest option, meaning that I won't get the game until a week later. I may not want to even play it by next week. Not to mention Pre-orders get lumped in with Non-preorders.

...Basically, I can see Gamestop being somewhat of a necessity for some, myself included.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

@8BitSamurai
So we agree that Reggie's thoughts on the game are irrelevant and that the video has no real purpose?

I'll discuss Other M. Since I don't really want to spend a half hour watching a rant about how Other M isn't Prime (I made it about 10 minutes into that video), just type your criticisms of the game out here. I'd actually probably agree with many of them. I've said several times in this thread and others that Sakamoto's script is awful, the pacing and atmosphere of the game is dragged down by the forced cinematics and terrible acting, and that Samus's character was greatly disappointing.

I find it to a be a good game with fun gameplay, but a sloppy and maddening presentation. If you took out all the monologues and instead shoved all that information into some text that auto-scrolls at the bottom of the screen without interrupting gameplay, and then removed Adam and all references to him entirely, the game would instantly be like twice as good.

I think it was a good time for the Metroid series to finally explore Samus as a character, but Other M fumbled it pretty badly. The manga did it much better. As a game though, I'm satisfied with what Team Ninja did. Almost all of my criticisms of the game are directed at Sakamoto.

So I guess my thoughts on the game are more or less in line with the user scores on Metacritic (6.7/10) or Amazon (3.7/5). Not quite NintendoLife official review good (9/10) or 30-minute rant video bad (abomination/100).

Edited on by CaviarMeths

8BitSamurai

CaviarMeths wrote:

So we agree that Reggie's thoughts on the game are irrelevant and that the video has no real purpose?

Yes, Reggie's thoughts have no real matter. I bring up the video only in regards to I agree with what he said.

CaviarMeths wrote:

I'll discuss Other M. Since I don't really want to spend a half hour watching a rant about how Other M isn't Prime (I made it about 10 minutes into that video), just type your criticisms of the game out here. I'd actually probably agree with many of them. I've said several times in this thread and others that Sakamoto's script is awful, the pacing and atmosphere of the game is dragged down by the forced cinematics and terrible acting, and that Samus's character was greatly disappointing.

I find it to a be a good game with fun gameplay, but a sloppy and maddening presentation. If you took out all the monologues and instead shoved all that information into some text that auto-scrolls at the bottom of the screen without interrupting gameplay, and then removed Adam and all references to him entirely, the game would instantly be like twice as good.

I think it was a good time for the Metroid series to finally explore Samus as a character, but Other M fumbled it pretty badly. The manga did it much better. As a game though, I'm satisfied with what Team Ninja did. Almost all of my criticisms of the game are directed at Sakamoto.

100% agreed with this. As someone who actually read the manga a while back, Other M's character development is just too poorly written, and too inconsistent with the manga, the games, and at times even itself. It's just a game that has a lot of problems.

CaviarMeths

As long as you stay away from sellers with poor feedback, you shouldn't have trouble with them. I've kicked myself a couple of times for not reading the feedback first. I shop enough on Amazon now that though there's a small group of used game sellers that I know I can trust and I'll buy from them if I can.

eBay though, it's just been all over the place. The last game I ordered off of eBay was from a seller with fantastic feedback. The game was listed as "good" condition, but arrived with this horrendous scratch almost top to bottom on the disc. Seller didn't accept returns. I was out the money.

CanisWolfred

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Indie games have to much spotlight at moments & the whole "New" Retro games is over played/used

I think it's about time indies got more respect, and it would be nice if other mediums had the same level of respect for the little engines who can. I will agree that the whole "New Age Retro" thing is overplayed, though. I kinda missed it when the indies people would talk about were the innovators, with their new and experimental games that would push boundaries in an effort to change our perception of what could be considered a game.

...only miss it a little, though. At least now we're getting consistantly good games, instead of lots of freeware oddities, some of which barely function. And now that I think about it, the "innovators" were usually just a couple people churning out these oddities at a regular pace so it felt like a lot of people were doing it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

CaviarMeths wrote:

As long as you stay away from sellers with poor feedback, you shouldn't have trouble with them. I've kicked myself a couple of times for not reading the feedback first. I shop enough on Amazon now that though there's a small group of used game sellers that I know I can trust and I'll buy from them if I can.

eBay though, it's just been all over the place. The last game I ordered off of eBay was from a seller with fantastic feedback. The game was listed as "good" condition, but arrived with this horrendous scratch almost top to bottom on the disc. Seller didn't accept returns. I was out the money.

I try to stay away from those with little feedback, but honestly? Every seller seems to have 95% positive feedback at a minimum...so what counts as low feedback? You saying I should actually read through the feedback? A lot of them have thousands of feedback, I don't have time to read them all. I've been burned by people with lots of positive feedback, too. I bought a 6-button controller for the Genesis. Turns out he never had that controller. He sent me a PC controller instead. Thankfully I was able to get a refund, but I really wanted that controller...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

^Do you really want me to list everything that I need to think about before I can even think about making a purchase on eBay? Because I tried and the list got rediculously long. Honestly, at Gamestop and other places, I can usually buy with confidence. Is it there? Is the price acceptable? Does it have a decent case? That's it. That's all. I buy my game, I walk out the door, and I go play it when I get home. Occasionally I have to worry about scratches, but it's been forever since that's been a problem for me now that rentals are a thing of the past. It's just so much more convenient. eBay makes me feel like I'm taking the freakin' SATs...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Joetherocker

Monster Hunter is garbage.

Wild signature appeared!

3DS FC: 4270-1110-7770

MsJubilee

The last of us is overrated, especially the story.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

kkslider5552000

Not sure if I've said this, but Call of Duty in general is neither great nor terrible. Sadly like other average quality things, this is a minority opinion (though maybe less so nowadays).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CaviarMeths

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Not sure if I've said this, but Call of Duty in general is neither great nor terrible. Sadly like other average quality things, this is a minority opinion (though maybe less so nowadays).

I think the backlash for CoD is less that it's average and more that it's average and insanely popular. I guess some people take it personally that a mediocre game is selling by the boatloads while other great games go ignored or unnoticed.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic