Forums

Topic: Everything Star Wars discussion thread| How you doing, you old pirate?

Posts 761 to 780 of 1,108

Dezzy

Bringing back Palpatine really does feel like Abrams disliking the fact they killed Snoke.

He was obviously going to need a new villain for Ep9. You can't have Kylo be the main villain when Rey's already Mary-Sued him in the first film. There's no sense of trepidation left there. Her beating him again would feel normal and predictable. You wouldn't be able to build any tension around the conflict at all.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

shaneoh

Octane wrote:

Remember how Rey totally wasn't related to Luke? ''Rise of the Skywalker''... yeah... right.

Could be referring to Kylo, he is half Skywalker after all.

As for Palpatine, Force Ghost maybe? Wouldn't be the first time he has come back from the dead in some form.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Gerald

I can’t get excited for this, the last film completely ruined Star Wars, there is no going back

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

Octane

@Gerald We can still enjoy watching it sink even lower

I'm glad I don't have to pay for film tickets.

Octane

DarkRula

I suspect this'll play out as Luke and Anakin acting through their own avatars [Luke as Rey, Anakin as Kylo] to finally rid the shadow of ultimate evil from the universe. It'll work because both Luke and Anakin know how Palpatine works and will be cautioning their avatar to not fall for his tricks. One of them will fall [possibly Kylo] causing the other to have to rescue them from that fall. It's the entire story of Anakin's fall and redemption told in one film.

It should be a good conclusion to the trilogy, but I doubt it'll do much to bring the entire trilogy into a good light in many peoples' eyes.

DarkRula

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3513-2745 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkRula

Dezzy

My prediction is that it will sorta retcon the previous 2 films and will use Palpatine to explain why Snoke died so pointlessly, as a way of maintaining the power of the dark side as being the main enemy.

It'll be something like Palpatine's force ghost was guiding Snoke, but then chose to abandon him and choose Kylo instead, which would explain what happened whilst maintaining a true arch-villain for the trilogy.

Henmii

@Octane,

I agree, even though I loved The last Jedi. I really don't get why Abrahams didn't do the whole trilogy. Now we get a very inconsistent bunch of movies. That's not good.

That being said: I have mixed feelings about the return of Darth Sidious. On one hand its great to see and hear Ian mcdarmid again, but on the other hand: There must be a very good (story) reason for he to be back. So he has survived in the wreckage of the death-star, building up all his hatred. But how did he survive, what will he reveal (there's supposed to be a big revelation that puts all the movies in a new light, so I heard), and can he be defeated this time for good? Also, yeah Rey might just be Luke's daughter after all, but we'll see. George Lucas seems to have some involvement, so I hope that's good.

Apart from the deathstar and Darth Sidious I found the trailer not that great (but I know its just a teaser). The title is lame and Rey's jump at the beginning of the trailer is just stupid.

One last thing regarding Snoke: They pulled the same s..t with Game of thrones now. Years of foreshadowing the White walkers and the Night king with hints of lore and all...poof the king's dead. End of the White walkers it seems. Wasted potential

And what do you guys think of Star wars resistance? Yeah, its goofy as f... But later episodes have more tension because of the arrival of the Stormtroopers. Overall I thought it wasn't that bad, though its easily the least cgi series so far (not counting the lego-series, I haven't seen those). The premise was also a bit misleading. It was taunted to play between episode 6 and 7 and reveal more about the First order. But it plays so short before episode 7 (and now during episode 7), it didn't reveal anything. I heard Filoni is also on the Mandalorian series, hopefully he does great on that. I mean, Clone wars great!

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Octane

@Henmii Considering we still have three episodes to go, yeah, the last one was a bit anti-climactic.

Octane

Henmii

@Octane,

Big game of thrones rant, please excuse me The last episode was great action-wise and the scope of it all (though very dark and not that easy to follow). And it had some nice scenery. But there where very few big deaths, almost every notable one survived this battle. But what's far worse, is that there wasn't a big surprise, a big twist. As a casual got watcher, I think one of the best things is the twists. But we have all noticed it: After the series had surpassed the books (I mean, JRR is just enjoying all his money. He doesn't feel like completing the series) the deaths and surprises died down. There are still 3 episodes to go. Will it all be about the battle agains Cersei? What about the golden company. Who will backstab who. I can't imagine a even bigger fight agains Cersei and their very unreliable allies, with lots of deaths this time. But I might be totally wrong, please surprise me.

What also annoys me is how they did Deanarys and the whole "Winter". Years we had to wait before she went oversees, with her "warm-blooded" allies to the colder continent. Not a problem at all. Sea-travelling for the first time? No trouble! Now its winter. It doesn't seem super cold with snow and all. But even then Daenarys and their allies should have been frozen to death. That's what I expected: Their biggest enemy, the cold! But none of that. I know its fantasy, but can we have at least some realism?

pfff, that was a lot. I should have posted it on the Game of thrones topic on this site, but couldn't find it.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Octane

@Henmii Nah, it's alright. Fair points. I do question what's next as well. Probably another episode of talking and setting up the battle, which will take up the last two episodes. I can't imagine Cersei is a worse enemy than the Night King himself with an army of undead wights and a zombie dragon. But maybe I'm mistaken. Euron Greyjoy dabbles in some weird dark magic; but I'm not sure how much of that is really present in the show. Maybe we'll get to see some of that. Otherwise seems like a pretty standard fight. Except that they're probably heavily outnumbered with little to no Unsullied and Dorthraki left.

Kudos for killing of Lyanna Mormont, I didn't expect they'd let a child actor go the way she did. And Jorah Mormont was always a bit of a favourite of mine (he's died, right?). But yeah, other than that, not really any of the noteworthy characters died. I mean, they don't have to, but stakes and all. Seems like a lot of plot armour to me. I was kinda expecting Tyrion and Sansa to take their own life in the dungeons; that would've been a gruesome GOT-worthy death I think. And I just hope they don't turn Arya into the next Rey; I liked it when she actually struggled as a character in every season up to this one. Now she's a little murder machine lol.

Octane

gcunit

Ok, time to bite.

If you think this trilogy is inconsistent, how about the trilogy where Darth Vader killed Luke's father... PLOT TWIST! Or the trilogy where Luke, Han and Leia are in a love triangle... PLOT TWIST! Or the trilogy where Palpatine is just a friendly politician from Naboo and Anakin is the chosen one meant to bring balance to the force... PLOT TWIST!

These supposed inconsistencies between 7 and 8 are, mostly at least I think, probably deliberate. Just there to throw you off the scent of some of the main emotional aspects of the story so that they hit harder when they arrive.

My theory ever since watching Last Jedi is that this whole "We let the writers/directors of each film do what they want" PR is just that - PR. For two reasons: to be able to wave the "We're giving creative freedom" flag so they're not criticised for straight-jacketing the writers/directors; and to increase the chance of being able to surprise the audience.

If Palpatine was always part of the plan, then Snoke getting offed in Part 2 was probably part of the plan. And if you don't believe that Palpatine was always part of the plan then you've got this crazy notion that Palpatine and the Death Star wreckage plot is just some last-minute damage control to appease the die-hards. Be serious - this is a multi-generational, multi-billion dollar, franchise, they don't make core story decisions like that.

If you believe what Kylo Ren says, that it's time to 'let the past die, kill it if you have to', and that Rey's a nobody, that her parents were just filthy junk traders, then you're believing the heavily conflicted brat bad boy. PLOT TWIST! - he's lying/making it up, purely preying on Rey's fear. You may as well believe broken Luke's "It's time for the Jedi to end" - PLOT TWIST! - I will not be the last Jedi, mutha****a!"

Rian Johnson didn't get the power to create Rey's backstory - that was written years ago. She's the lead protagonist in the trilogy - the trilogy that ends the Skywalker saga. She grew up in a desert. She has natural talent for piloting spaceships, and for mechanics. Her physical appearance is one you could easily believe as a descendant of Shmi Skywalker and Padme. The 'Skywalker' lightsabre called to her. Her fate seems entwined to that of Ben Solo, who happens to be the chief antagonist in the trilogy and told her she's a nobody. I don't know if she's going to be Luke's daughter, or Leia's, or the immaculate conception force-spawn of Palpatine, but she's going to be a Skywalker as much as Anakin was. And if it turns out she's not, then Disney will have totally sacrificed this saga for the sake of selling the idea that 'anyone can become the most powerful Jedi out there just by complete chance'. I don't think that's going to happen.

Rian Johnson may have been solely responsible for butchering our image of Luke Skywalker... OR... you can recognise that perhaps making Luke the broken has-been was kinda necessary from Day 1. Lawrence Kasdan said about writing Force Awakens, that every time he sat down to start writing it, he just wanted to know what Luke was doing, so because this trilogy was primarily about the next generation, they had to write him out of the film so that he didn't distract from the new heroes. You can't create new heroes (and enemies) if you've already got an uber OP hero capable of solving everything from the outset, so you have to nerf the uber hero to give the new heroes their platform. It was a hard pill to to take, and I'm still not convinced by the way that Luke supposedly became broken, but I accept it needed doing one way or another to justify the extension to the story, otherwise the opening crawl to Episode 7 would just have been "Star Wars - Episode VII - Luke Pwns - Luke Skywalker has become the uber ****ing don of the Force and is untouchable... but there's trouble!... but don't worry, Luke's got some whupass coming their way!!! And we've got some new characters too - come and buy our merch!"

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Henmii

@gcunit,

I really hope that you are right, and that there is a big masterplan going on, but I am not entirely sure anymore. We'll know next December, right?

Henmii

Henmii

@Octane,

lol, Euron is such a ass. I can't see him doing any magic at all, but that's also because we haven't seen him doing it before in the series. Maybe that will be his hidden strenght? And I agree Lyanna was very cool. And I also thought sansa and tyrion would take their lives. To be honest, I am happy that Tyrion is still living. I have a feeling he will backstab them all. And yeah, Jorah died. I am wondering about that king I forgot his name. You know, the one who sacrificed his own daughter in the fire. We never really saw him die. Brienne did mention his death, but she wasn't very clear. I have a feeling he is still living. Might he be important for the plot still, who knows!

@gcunit,

about Star wars episode 8:

I also think Kylo lied to Rey.

They wanted to show that Luke was a man of flesh and blood, that even he had weaknesses. I don't find that to be bad.

As for Rey, they really should have a good explanation of why she's so strong without proper training. Otherwise its just awful.

And I still hope that the strange thief is back, the one who betrayed Finn and Rose. He can still redeem himself, right? After all, the "tracking" problem isn't solved right? The first order can still find them?

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Octane

@Henmii Beric. Yeah, he died. His death was kinda imminent after Thoros passed away last season.

Octane

gcunit

@Henmii Yes, I really hope Benicio Del Toro's character returns, otherwise the fact he just sat in a cell waiting for no particular reason until Finn & Rose turn up when he had the capability to break out at any time will always be a major irritant to me. I love his "Live free, don't join" stuff and don't want it to just have been some random encounter ham fisted into the middle of the trilogy without greater significance.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Henmii

@Octane,

No, you are wrong. That's not the character I meant. I meant Stannis baratheon. I looked it up.

Edited on by Henmii

Henmii

Henmii

@Octane,

But we never saw it happen and it was never 100% confirmed.

Henmii

Dezzy

gcunit wrote:

If Palpatine was always part of the plan, then Snoke getting offed in Part 2 was probably part of the plan. And if you don't believe that Palpatine was always part of the plan then you've got this crazy notion that Palpatine and the Death Star wreckage plot is just some last-minute damage control to appease the die-hards. Be serious - this is a multi-generational, multi-billion dollar, franchise, they don't make core story decisions like that.

Here's a recent interview with Abrams, where he's pretty explicit that they DO make the stories up as they go along. There was no prior story agreed upon for the trilogy.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90331236/exclusive-j-j-abrams-on-...

"I had some gut instincts about where the story would have gone. But without getting in the weeds on episode eight, that was a story that Rian wrote and was telling based on seven before we met. So he was taking the thing in another direction. So we also had to respond to Episode VIII. So our movie was not just following what we had started, it was following what we had started and then had been advanced by someone else. So there was that, and, finally, it was resolving nine movies. While there are some threads of larger ideas and some big picture things that had been conceived decades ago and a lot of ideas that Lawrence Kasdan and I had when we were doing Episode VII, the lack of absolute inevitability, the lack of a complete structure for this thing, given the way it was being run was an enormous challenge."

Dezzy

So what do people think of the new trailer?

I'm interested to see how they're gonna tie things together. Although I'm calling it now: that evil Rey thing will be like a vision or something (like Dagobah cave type thing), and will be incredibly misleading, just for the sake of getting people interested.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic