Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 6,555

gcunit

I haven't been digging the characters in the trailers, so I'm not especially hyped for it, plus I've been ill this week, otherwise I might have gone to a midnight opening tonight. If it was an entry in the saga then I'd be there no matter what, but for this I'll probably wait until Friday.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@gcunit I was worried at first that it would be too different from a regular Star Wars film, considering this is a spin-off; however, I can confirm that it feels like any other Star Wars film. If they called it Episode 8 and squeezed it in between 3 and 4, I would've believed it too.

Octane

FriedSquid

gcunit wrote:

@Dezzy Quite. Have they not watched the others? Pretty sure the word 'rebellion' is used a few times in the original, as in, rebellion against the Empire. The opening sentence of the opening crawl is, "It is a period of civil war."

In Attack of the Clones Yoda says "Begun the Clone Wars have".

It's not exactly a hidden message.

And that's not even mentioning the fact that the title is, well... Star Wars. Perhaps the author thought the series was called 'Star Disagreements' this whole time.

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Vinny

Not a movie, but I've been watching a 90's cartoon called Rocko's Modern Life. A lot of the same crew would be also involved in SpongeBob years later, so it feels familiar. It shares many of the voice actors with SB.

There's a lot of surreal humor going on but the setting and overall feel are different from SB. There's even some stuff that isn't really appropriate for kids. For instance in the episode where Bev Bighead tries to seduce Rocko (this one was actually banned).

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

Whydoievenbother

Just saw ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Story last night. The first half of the film, while good, felt a bit rushed. The second half of the film, however, is exactly what you would want from a Rogue One film. The characters are all likable, the action is great, and the overall atmosphere is just oppressive enough that it feels more like a War movie than the traditional Star Wars science fantasy action-adventure film that just so happens to have some war scenes in it.

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

bezerker99

@Octane i agree that the CGI was amazing!! Esp during the spolier parts!! 😱

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but i need and want to watch it again. When i saw it yesterday, i was going on just 2 hours sleep in 48 hours. I almost nodded off during some of the 1st half of the movie because it was a bit slow developing the story....but the ending was awesome and extremely satisfying!

Edited on by bezerker99

Octane

@bezerker99 I've actually seen people complain about the CGI. I mean, you can still see that it's CGI if you pay close attention, but that was still pretty good. I found characters like Maz Kanata from episode 7 look way more fake, too obvious that it was a CGI character. Rogue One; however, was a lot better in that aspect.

Octane

JonSpangler

My Star Wars Review (Spoilers for movie in it)

I thought it was a very good, but not great movie. Better then the "bad" movies (Prequels/ROTJ) but not quite up to the "best movies" Definite worth a viewing or two though.

Review:
The first act was the best for me. It was visually different and had the most gritty parts of the movie. The character were introduced well, especially Chirrut ÃŽmwe and K-2SO who had some stand out scenes. The first act also posed questions that unfortunately were dropped after the first act of the movie. Watching Cassian in the first scenes and later Saw Gerrera really showed the Rebellion (and the splinter cell Rebellion) in different light. It is a shame that some of the acts (Cassian killing the informant, and then killing one of Saw men in the street battle) are never really touched on. Also the interrogation/torture of Bodhi Rook is never really examined (cool monster though). The destruction of Jedha was a powerful moment though, maybe more then the ending.

I feel the movie falls off the second act in a big, but not movie breaking way. The second act just felt unnecessary. First is Krennic meeting Vader. While it was interesting to see Vader "at home" I really did not see the point of the scenes other than to just introduce Vader to the movie. Nothing really progressed in it. Although I can forgive it in a fanboy way to see Vader in the Bacta Tank and the return to Mustafar.

Worse though were the detour to Edo (sp?). It really provided nothing. No new information was really gained (they knew from the hologram message that they needed to go to Scariff already) and the Jyn/Galen reunion was to cliche and short to really mean anything. With no evidence or proof and just talking out my sides the second act seems made up on the fly to pad the runtime after movie runtime came up short or because the reshoots changed the plot around and they needed it to clear up some loose ends (mainly Galen who all his scenes could of taken place on Scariff with no affect on the movie).

The act act things picked up greatly. The movie did fall into a little more "standard movie mode" (It seems like when there is not a Death Star to blow up the next best thing Star Wars movies fall back to is taking shields down) but made up for it with great action and cameos and (mostly) earned emotional sacrifices. Like the first act of the movie everyone had there moment, both in heroics and sacrifice. Everything moves briskly and there are no slow parts. The ending is sad but hopeful. It does make watching A New Hope a better experience and even downplays Luke a little bit which is nice. While Luke is instrumental in the Rebellion victory watching Rogue One makes me think that if not Luke, someone would of stepped up in his place. When Yoda (admitally in Empire) says there is "another" I now have the feeling the Rebellions was full of Lukes ready to make there mark.

Random thoughts;

I thought the plot was a little needlessly complicated. Rebellion needs Jyn, to find Saw, to Get Rook, to find Galen, to get to Scariff, to get plans. That seems like one to many steps.

The same complication happens in the end. I cannot even describe the steps, but the short version is: Find plans, get to dish, Rook connects a wire, another guy flips a switch, now dish needs to be aligned, ect. It gave people things to do in the end but still a little much for me.

Chirrut was one of the best parts of the movie. Loved his devotion to the Force and his friendship with Baze really shown through. Especially in the end. I could totally see both of them becoming force ghosts and hanging out together. Although I so though his walking stick in the end was going to turn out to be a lightsaber and he was going to use it to deflect the shots until he got to the switch.

I also loved how Saw Gerrera was like a proto Darth Vader. From his robotics to his breathing.

No trouble with the Cameos or CGI characters. I was surprised how big of a part Tarkin had. But it was a good surprise.

Darth Vader in the end. Both epic and a little silly. Epic in seeing him really show his brutality. But a little silly seeing how the one guy at the end of the very short hallway kept screaming for people to take the disc yet Vader takes his time getting to him. Give him a force yank away from the door real fast. I would of loved to see a longer version of this scene though with the disc being passed through multiple people sacrificing themselves to protect the dish.

While the movie focused on a Jyn and a few people in the Rebellion not enough credit goes to the unnamed people who gave there lives up for Jyn. From soldiers volunteering for the mission to the pilots in space bringing down Star Destroyers, this was a team mission through and through and I liked how it was not just one person saving the day.

Order of sacrifices in emotional weight:
Honorary Mention: Everyone in the Rebellion or on Jedha/Scariff who died
1. K-2SO
2. Chirrut ÃŽmwe
3. Galen Erso
4. Baze Malbus (
5. Bodhi Rook (not enough time with the character for big impact but the suddenness of his death gives it the gritty edge.
6. Jyn and Cassian (to cliche with a romantic component really not needed)

Finals Thoughts:
Rogue One might not be a movie that needed to be told, but now that it has I am glad it was. It opened the world up and showed a imperfect rebellion finding hope. Some of darker themes in the movie are dropped in favor of standard storytelling by the end, and the middle of the movie is redundant and unnecessary, but the highs (and emotional lows) of the movie outweigh them to make a movie that, ending considered, still makes you (or at least me) leave the movie uplifted.

8/10 for me.

JonSpangler

Twitter:

Peek-a-boo

@JonSpangler Crikey!

You more or less echoed my feelings for Rogue One, although I personally give it a 7/10.

The beginning was superb (especially in Jedha), the middle-ish part (in Edu) felt somewhat unnecessary and overlong, although it does gradually strengthens the plot which makes the third and final act a surprisingly good war story, albeit with lots of finicky moments where somebody had to put the plug in or flip a switch somewhere. It begun to feel like a computer game full of clichés!

Not a fan of the CGI faces, and I politely disagree with Octane that the CGI in The Force Awakens was better. I thought that both the admiral and Princess Leia looked really... off.

Even my two friends who I went to see the film with - both of whom rarely brings these kind of things up - said the faces were 'bizarre' to look at. Looked completely at odds with the CGI artists and their magnificent work on the Death Star and Star Destroyer(s) that had a wonderfully detailed model-like look about them.

One thing of (positive) note; my main issue with The Force Awakens isn't that they rehashed the same plot points from A New Hope and parts of Empire Strikes Back, but that it borders on a pastiche of it during the second half, whereas Rogue One at least has conviction in its own story telling, even if it is rather uneven.

K-2SO was my favourite character. Some of the spontaneous things he said - and did - left me smiling.

It might just be me, but wasn't there some missing scenes from the trailers? I am pretty sure that Jyn was spotted by a TIE Fighter (right in front of her), as well as a couple of other bits and bobs.

Last but not least, seeing Darth Vader again was okay.

Seemed like an afterthought outside of that scene in the end, and to be 'woken up' just to have a twenty seconds chat with General Krennic only to swiftly return back to 'bed' was bizarrely pointless!

All in all, it was worth seeing. It gives A New Hope a little bit more allure (as if it hadn't had enough allure in the first place!) for future viewings, and gives me more reasons to eagerly look forward to the next Star Wars film.

Just don't show us anymore of those CGI faces please.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I think I just let my imagination run with it when I saw the CG characters. I knew they weren't real, I could tell that immediately, but I didn't ruin it for me. If anything, I was more amazed that CGI looked that good! And we're not talking about inanimate objects or characters, but actual human characters. Hats off to the people that worked on the digital effects in the film.

Octane

FriedSquid

@Peek-a-boo @Octane While I was also greatly impressed as to how close they got to the CGI looking real, it just didn't work for me. The more I looked at it, the more it looked like a really good, realistic video game cutscene. He definitely stood out among the other real actors. I have no problem with CG aliens and monsters of course, but humans... it's the uncanny valley, man. But still, the CG was extremely impressive.

At the very least Leia looked much better than Tarkin, but probably because she had one line and wasn't on screen as long for me to recognize the 'off' facial movement.

On the subject of Vader, the first scene with him seemed a bit unnecessary, but the final scene with him was pretty awesome. The moment he activated his light saber in the dark room was simply badass... Vader never felt so terrifying before. I also like that they kept the red lenses he had in IV.

I am however confused by one thing — at the end of Ep III, didn't they take him away from Mustafar after he got burned? Why was he back on Mustafar, or was that a different volcanic planet?

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Peek-a-boo

@FriedSquid The more I think about Darth Vader,

the more I wished he was just in the one scene at the end. That conversation with General Krennic was pointless... except to just simply show him. They even made him walk through a fog screen. I mean, how much more clichè can you get?!

Imagine that! We wait and wait and wait to see Darth Vader all the way through the film and the first thing we see is his red lightsaber. Surely that would have been a far more memorable way to be introduced - and bade farewell to - in a single sequence?

Missed a trick there, me thinks.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

RR529

Spectral (Netflix Original) - Netflix's first attempt at a military sci-fi flick, and though I was worried about the quality going in (most of their other film endeavors seem to be either comedies or documentaries, so this is new territory for them), I'm glad to report I enjoyed it. In short, the Americans are intervening in a Moldovan civil war, and after a seemingly supernatural force appears, showing no mercy to either side, Washington sends in a scientist to identify, and hopefully find a way to neutralize, the new threat. It's no Oscar contender, but it has lots of action (almost horror like at the beginning, when everything is a mystery), and the special effects are of a high quality.

Bridge of Spies (DVD) - Period piece set in 1957, that sees Tom Hanks playing an attourney who is given the unenviable job of defending an alleged Soviet spy in court, and later on is tasked with setting up a trade with the Soviets for an American spy, but there are a lot of things that get in the way (like his desire to also free an American college student being held in East Germany). It's naturally a slow going film, but it was highly interesting (and based on a true story).

Sorry for interrupting your Star Wars talk, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Vinny

Borat (2006). Just as i remember it. Best Sacha Baron movie for sure.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

gcunit

FriedSquid wrote:

I am however confused by one thing — at the end of Ep III, didn't they take him away from Mustafar after he got burned? Why was he back on Mustafar, or was that a different volcanic planet?

I like to think Vader is based on Mustafar as a form of torture by the Emperor. It's either that or he's there to oversee the forging of all the pieces for the Death Star.

But I thought it was cool seeing his fortress and how he spends his time chilling in a bacta tank. I need to listen to his dialogue again (I was distracted by how fat he looked), but some of it did sound a bit generic and not badass enough.

What I couldn't get over about his first scene was how fat he looked, in the shoulders and the face (despite wearing a mask)

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

Just saw Rouge One. Fantastic film. It jumped around a bit too much at the beginning, but the second and third acts were terrific. Interesting, believable characters. An engaging espionage story. A desperate, moody atmosphere. Some really well-done action set-pieces. Also, mad props for that thrilling and uncompromising conclusion. Doesn't totally make up for The Force Awakens being a generic, boorish mess of a film, but it gives me hope for future entries in the series.

I guess if I had to pinpoint one problem with it, it'd be that too many characters are introduced too quickly.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

6ch6ris6

Hateful 8
while it was entertaining it felt weak in comparision to tarantino's other movies. story was very unrealistic at times imo.

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Vinny

6ch6ris6 wrote:

Hateful 8
while it was entertaining it felt weak in comparision to tarantino's other movies. story was very unrealistic at times imo.

I also found it underwhelming. Django Unchained was much better imo.

Octane

Hateful Eight was absolutely brilliant! Not as good as Pulp Fiction of course, but up there, definitely one of my faves!

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Octane Yep.

Thought it was his best film since Pulp Fiction, and the small ensemble in a blizzard-bound hut made it all the more tense and compelling. I genuinely had no idea who was 'playing along'.

Most complaints aimed at Hateful Eight are its length (which is long) and the fact that nobody wins, the latter of which is an absurb complaint!

And it's always good to see Kurt Russell these days. Bone Tomahawk is another film worth watching; it is a western with some horror elements. Not one for the faint hearted though...

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic