Forums

Topic: Movie thread.

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 6,555

skywake

I was a bit worried about this movie, too many classics have been ruined by sequels. But then I watched this.

You know what makes me less worried now? .... the sound...

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Ralizah

@skywake WHAT

Why are they making a sequel to Blade Runner?!

UGH

But I can't not see it either.

EDIT: Same director as Arrival? Fine. I'll give it a chance. That was a really well-done adaptation.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ralizah

Honest Trailer for cult classic and aspiring B-movie Mortal Kombat, and its inferior follow-up.

6ch6ris6

hey can anyone recommend me some "dark"/"serious" western?
i'd also like to know some good survival/horror space movies

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

Paddington (Netflix) - Kid friendly film about a talking bear who moves to London to find a new home, after disaster befalls the Peruvian jungle he called home. It's definitely a kids' film that doesn't take itself seriously (you'll be rolling your eyes at instances such as people ignoring the talking bear roaming around), but to it's credit, it has some charming moments & does some neat things visually.

Captain America: Civil War (Netflix) - Have a pretty bad Cold, so I decided to stay in on Christmas (don't want to risk the chance of getting my grandparents, or my cousin's newborn, ill). So after I took an Alka-Seltzer I pulled up Netflix and noticed they got this in today. The endgame villain this time around was totally forgettable, but the hero VS hero fights (which were naturally plentiful here) were absolutely fantastic. I know I'm going to sound like a broken record bringing up that airport fight scene, but seriously, no amount of hype that it generated prepared me for how awesome it was in motion.

Also, over the Christmas weekend, we did our annual viewings of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Elf, A Christmas Story, and A Garfield Christmas (yeah, that last one is a TV special & not a movie, I know).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Ralizah

I'm not generally a fan of Illumination Entertainment's safe,formulaic cartoon films, but Sing is actually pretty decent. Not that it isn't safe, formulaic, or filled with feel-good cliches, but it's really nicely constructed safe entertainment, with entertaining characters, multiple storylines that are well-paced and come together in reasonably satisfying ways, and a lack of stupid "trailer moment" gags. Definitely a step above the dreck the company usually produces, and is probably better than most of the "singing movies" I've seen.

Edited on by Ralizah

Peek-a-boo

@6ch6ris6 A horror film in space?

You have got Danny Boyle's Sunshine, Event Horizon (surprisingly underrated) and the all time classic, Alien. In fact, you could just watch the entire Alien Anthology.

Serious Western films?

Westworld (there was a book and a movie before the television show came along!), Unforgiven, Once Upon a Time in the West and the Clint Eastwood classic, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

I hope this gets you off to a good start!

Peek-a-boo

6ch6ris6

@Peek-a-boo i already watched all the sci-fi movies you mentioned. love all of them!

not sure about westworld. there is so much hype now about the show and i hate it when things i never heard about get hyped over night.

just watched 10 Cloverfield Lane but i can't say much about it because almost anything would be a huge spoiler cool movie though.

edit: also watched sunshine again the same evening. great movie!

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

jump

^even for die hard Nintendo buffs that's a hard film to watch.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

RR529

Heathers (Netflix) - The last film I watched in 2016. An 80's dark satire of high school culture of the time, it was okay I guess.

Superman: the Movie (Netflix) - They added 5 Superman films at the start of the month (this, Superman II, Superman III, Superman IV: the Quest for Peace, and Superman Returns), so I'm going to try and make this a "Super January", lol. On the film itself, I'm a little mixed overall. I loved the general vibe it gave off (much more than the dark & brooding Supes we get today), and while it may not come off as much today, I'm sure it was a technical marvel (lol) in it's time, which I was still able to appreciate. However, I'm actually not huge on Luthor's appearance. He doesn't appear until you're already about halfway through the film (with no foreshadowing beforehand), so kinda feels rushed in to give our hero a big conflict to resolve, and his gang adds an element of goofy comedy that was completely absent from the film's first half, which comes off a bit jarring at first. And of course, there are a few campy moments as well (such as the infamous ending), but those didn't bother me too much. On a side note, I almost want to say a scene was absent from the film (it was on Netflix, so I'm not sure why). Now, I could be thinking about one of the other films, but I swear that when Superman infiltrated Luthor's underground lair, Luthor had set up some trap rooms to test Superman's invulnerability (such as a room with gun turrets in the walls, and a flame thrower), and this was absent here.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Vinny

8 Mile (2002): A rap movie starring Eminem as aspiring rapper Jimmy "B Rabbit" Smith. The rap battles were great and the movie has one the best original songs: "Lose Yourself".
My only complaints are that the pacing was rather uneven and I found Cheddar Bob kinda annoying. Overall, great movie.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

6ch6ris6

Band of Brothers
not sure why but i kinda wanted to watch this older series again and yeah i still really like it. normally i'm not that into tv-series. it also makes me wanna buy Brothers in Arms again for my original xbox !

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Vinny

I rewatched the Austin Powers Trilogy. I still like it but some of the jokes just weren't as funny to me as they were when I was younger. Still some solid comedies though.

Edited on by Vinny

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

Superman II (Netflix) - I was looking forward to rewatching this one, but I'll be honest, and say I don't think it holds up. Now, I love the classic "all American" vibe (for a lack of a better term), and Zod's group's humorous misunderstanding of general Earth things was great, but it just never really excited me. The special effects of the time were just too limited for the arial fight scenes, where someone would just gently float through the air after being hit (I understand it's just a product of it's time, and was probably impressive at the time of it's release, but going back to it now, it just wasn't enjoyable, IMO). Also, there was the random powers, which just seemed odd (the Telepathic powers Zod's group had but Superman didn't, Superman making "ice clones" of himself, and Superman throwing his "S" at one of the bad guys...).

Superman III (Netflix) - This one was just weird. The story was a mishmash of 80's corporate greed & the era's fascination with what computers could & may do. It had much more comedic moments than the last films, and then there was that fight where Superman was fighting himself (he had been corrupted by synthetic Kryptonite, and his good side literally manifested as Clark Kent & had a fist fight with the evil Superman)...

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

6ch6ris6

The Godfather

saw it for the first time last sunday and i really liked it. cant wait to see the second one, too. kinda made me wanna buy mafia 2 on steam

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

Superman IV: the Quest for Peace (Netflix) - Pretty much a statement on the arms race of the time, with lots of quirky 80's flair. As for the infamous Nuclear Man, I actually loved how he eminenated power (electricity menacingly crawling over him, the orange aura, the ground melting under his step), but otherwise he was completely ridiculous, especially his asinine weakness. He actually could have been a much better villain if they tried. It's obviously not the best in the series, but luckily they don't waste too much of your time with this one, as it's only an hour & a half long.

Superman Returns (Netflix) - I watched this when it came out in theaters, but didn't really remember much of it. Going back to it now, I appreciate it much more (especially watching it so soon after the older films, which it calls back to). It's biggest flaw is that it's not sure whether or not to be a genuine followup to the original series, or merely a spiritual successor (it references events in the original films, like Luthor's past altercations with Superman, and Lois' interview with the hero in the first film, but despite the fact that it's supposed to be only 5 years after the last film, it's clearly the world of the mid 2000's, in terms of cars, flat screen TVs, computers, and more, which shouldn't be the case). Outside of that though, I actually liked this one.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

6ch6ris6

alright i have seen all three Godfather movies and i liked all of them! i don't understand why the third one recieved so many "bad" reviews.

the ending was heartbreaking IMO. kinda fell in love with sofia coppola

Edited on by 6ch6ris6

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

The Invincible Iron Man (Netflix) - Animated Marvel flick that sees Iron Man trying to stop the resurrection of the Mandarin. It was pretty decent, though the CGI used for Tony's suits & the Mandarin's Elementals was so stiff it hurt the action.

Ultimate Avengers: the Movie (Netflix) - An animated Avengers origin story. Though it has many differences in terms of story elements & character roster, the general gist is the same as the live action Avengers film. Aliens threaten to destroy Earth (same aliens, too, sans Loki), the Avengers are quickly put together to oppose them, but they don't work together & get their butts kicked, finally act as a team & save the day. Pretty good.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

6ch6ris6

Arrival
great movie.
the only thing that annoys me is that no character in the movie ever asks the question "how do these alien spaceships float"? im okay with not getting an answer, because the story is about something totally different, but the fact that no character even asks the question is kinda confusing to me

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

Ultimate Avengers 2 (Netflix) - Sequel to the previously mentioned animated film. The aliens are back, lead by an old rival of Captain America, and in order to win Cap & the newly introduced Black Panther must set their own personal vengeances aside to work as a team with the other Avengers. Decent for this type of film.

Doctor Strange (Netflix) - Not last year's live action blockbuster, but rather an earlier released animated flick. I thought it was a pretty decent introduction to the character.

National Lampoon's Animal House - Regarded as the grandaddy of the modern raunchy comedy (as far as I know), I decided to check it out before Netflix loses it at the start of March. It pretty much follows the debauchery of the rowdy members of Delta House, as the underachieving college students party on, much to the disdain of the rest of the campus. It's a bit dated going back to it now (it's a late 70's film set during the early 60's), but as I watched it I can say I actually liked it quite a bit, and see why it could hold up (if you're into this type of film). It's definitely an adult comedy, but it gets most of it's laughs from situational humor, with only a few mentions of the F-bomb thrown around (and when it is used, it usually makes sense in a believable manner).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic