Forums

Topic: GLBTQI gamers unite! and of course anyone else

Posts 101 to 120 of 139

LzWinky

ClockworkMario wrote:

I believe it's important to have GLBT represented in video games,with the prerequisite that they should be interesting characters and have some traits other than 'flamboyantly gay', or similar stereotype. GLBT-characters shouldn't also all be goody-good and lifted on a pedestal like some demigods: some ought to be greedy, hateful, angry, scornful etc. just like all people.

If I remember correctly, I've only played two games with at least hinted homo sexuality: Mass Effect 3 and Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. There was also a woman dressed as a man in DD, but I can't remember her reason for doing so.

The typical "parents wanted her to be male" routine

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tsuchinoko

That seems to show up in media from pretty much any country.

Hey guys! On a totally unrelated note, i have a confession, and i wonder if im the only one who does this. When making a character like my hunter in Monster Hunter, i always fing that instead of making a character that looks like me, i find i always end up making a cool attractive character, my "type" you could say. I guess straight men will occasionally do the same thing and make their avatar a female character that is their type, but that seems a little weird to me, but then again who am i to judge right? I guess if you're attracted to the same gender, it seems normal to make an avatar that is your type, instead of you. Im not sure id want to have my avatar look like me and stare at myself all day long.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

Magikarp3

To follow up with what Tsuchinoko said, I find that my character building habits are odd too.

I'm straight but somewhat effeminate (not flamboyant, I guess the word here is maternal? idk.) and I've been told that I am a Male Lesbian. It pretty much means if I had been born a woman, I would be a lesbian, but I'm not trans. I don't get this whole deal of being "alpha" which apparently all men are supposed to have. I've never identified as a male lesbian, mostly because I think the label is silly, but I've acknowledged that it's a thing.

Anyway in any party based RPG, I like to make the male characters White Mages or other Support characters. In Bravely Default, for example, my Tiz is a White Mage/Performer. I also make the female characters Knights or Monks or whatever. I dunno if female knights are my type though, lol. I'd probably prefer them to plain old female white mages

Edited on by Magikarp3

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

sugarpixel

@Tsuchinoko I like playing as girl characters, yeah... though usually, when in the right context (like Pokemon or Animal Crossing), I like to play as myself to pretend that it's me in the game doing those things... if that makes sense.

Twitter | ko-fi | YouTube | Backloggery

Add me on Nintendo Switch! SW-5806-7479-1875

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

LzWinky

I like playing male characters. I have no use for "eye candy"

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Tsuchinoko

Ahaha, maybe it is just me then.

@jollykarp hey, thats cool. You do you. If you own it then its all good.

LordJumpMad

I'm a 25 year old mad guy. Anyone interested?

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

LzWinky

LordJumpMad wrote:

I'm a 25 year old mad guy. Anyone interested?

I don't think there's a "Mad" category in this group Jumpy.

Tsuchinoko

We welcome all types, even mad ones. You have to find out yourself if anyone is interested though. Haha

Just wondering, what games do gay gamers play for eye candy. If you're of a persuasion that prefers women there's quite a wide range, though some games like Senran Kagura and DoA volleyball can be fairly gratuitous.

Csaw

@Tsuchinoko unfortunately, as far as I know there's no male equivalent to games like Senran Kagura or DoA (someone should really get working on one though ). I don't think I have ever played a game for the eye candy though, I guess its because either most men aren't overly sexualized or because I generally don't find men with huge muscles(which most games are obsessed with having these Schwarzenegger like characters) attractive.

Csaw

Eel

Many game developers choose "male power fantasy" styles for their male characters. Which count as sexualized or eye candy for some, but not all.

Just like a huge chest and school uniform won't appeal to everyone, I guess.

I guess the main issue is that we are mostly trained to see exaggerated male figures as cool instead of risqué.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

FOREST_RANGER

Hm, I can't recall of any games serving that purpose. And I usually don't play games for eye candy.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

Nuuzen

Probably a good time to mention that I identify as both pansexual and non-binary (genderqueer, to be exact). Glad to see I'm not alone on NintendoLife.

To answer the OP's question, I feel that games (as well as the community) are beginning to become more welcome and positive towards minorities of all kinds (women, LGBT, POC, etc.), but it still has a long ways to go. We still face a lot of immaturity and bigotry within the fans as well as the developers and publishers, and any and all attempts to push towards progressiveness is met with ugly retaliation. Still, with more people speaking out and doing their part to support change, I feel that we'll all find more common ground in time.

Nuuzen

3DS Friend Code: 1048-8838-7829 | Nintendo Network ID: Nudull

sugarpixel

@Nuuzen only thing here is that I hardly think women are a 'minority', when they account for approximately half of the Human population... maybe a minority as far as how voices are heard...?

Switch Friend Code: SW-5806-7479-1875 | 3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | My Nintendo: FlutterBug | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku | Twitter:

LzWinky

Csaw wrote:

@Tsuchinoko unfortunately, as far as I know there's no male equivalent to games like Senran Kagura or DoA (someone should really get working on one though ). I don't think I have ever played a game for the eye candy though, I guess its because either most men aren't overly sexualized or because I generally don't find men with huge muscles(which most games are obsessed with having these Schwarzenegger like characters) attractive.

There is Muscle March...but one of the men is actually a woman and there's a polar bear too

shingi_70

Read an article the other day on CBR on the implications of wonder woman being bi sexual for obvious reasons.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=404

The current writer of Batwoman Marc Anderyko is gay. The actual character is gay and the book has won some. Gladd awards.

Younger Avengers which ended recently won a Gladd award the other day and the rostor of the team is mostly LGBT.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/04/young-avengers-...

The other comics nominated were

Batwoman
Life With Archie
Fearless Defenders
Husbands

A well deserved win since the book is so stylish.
Untitled

Teen Titans is being relaunched in July and one of the team members is bunker who is a new character created when Teen Titans first launch in 2011. He's homosexual and was one of the better spots in the book before and after it took a dive down into downright terribleness.

Untitled

He's the dude with the purple hard light constructs.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

sugarpixel

@shingi_70 have you ever read Runaways? (I posted about it a page or so ago)
It's probably my favorite comic series I've ever read, and the only modern one I've read, too.
My only complaint was from the fact that apparently modern artists' styles differ from each other a lot more than they did in the 60's, so when the artist changes between issues it's super-noticeable... but I guess it's probably that way for all comics nowadays...

shingi_70

@Gioku

Runaways is one my favorite comics with Nick and Molly being my favorite characters on the team. There was actually a movie in development that had got as far as casting but was put on indefinite hold for the MCU.

Manga is really the only art form that keeps the same artist throughout a books run. Comics only tend to do it when its an indie book or something like Batman where Greg Capullo has drawn most of the 30 issues with the expection of maybe 3 issues.

I don't mind it
Take today I just bought most of my comics and each has a different style.

Captain Marvel
Untitled

Lumberjanes
Untitled

Batwoman.
Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.