General Discussion Forum

Topic: GLBTQI gamers unite! and of course anyone else

Showing 121 to 140 of 142

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

121. Posted:

@Gioku

Runaways is one my favorite comics with Nick and Molly being my favorite characters on the team. There was actually a movie in development that had got as far as casting but was put on indefinite hold for the MCU.

Manga is really the only art form that keeps the same artist throughout a books run. Comics only tend to do it when its an indie book or something like Batman where Greg Capullo has drawn most of the 30 issues with the expection of maybe 3 issues.

I don't mind it
Take today I just bought most of my comics and each has a different style.

Captain Marvel
Untitled

Lumberjanes
Untitled

Batwoman.
Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

122. Posted:

There is definitely an audience. I am wondering, is it better to have gay characters in games that adhere to certain stereotypes, or none at all. It does seem that with video games, as with any kind of media, that when they are created for a mostly straight male audience there is bound to be some amount of generalization. I feel like I've developed a hard enough skin where certain things can roll right past me, but at some point Im hoping for an actual gay character who is just a normal person.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. Largate de aqui Dark Pit! ブラックピット出ていけ!

AuthorMessage

HylianJowi

123. Posted:

I find it unfortunate that many people don't seem to know how to write gay characters. To me, it's as simple as writing any other character — except they are romantically interested in the same gender. Homosexuality isn't a personality trait, and characters shouldn't be defined by it. I guess I just don't see what's so hard about that. o:

HylianJowi

3DS Friend Code: 3539-9360-6763 | Nintendo Network ID: JowiStinks | Twitter: HylianJowi

AuthorMessage

Squid

124. Posted:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

There is definitely an audience. I am wondering, is it better to have gay characters in games that adhere to certain stereotypes, or none at all. It does seem that with video games, as with any kind of media, that when they are created for a mostly straight male audience there is bound to be some amount of generalization. I feel like I've developed a hard enough skin where certain things can roll right past me, but at some point Im hoping for an actual gay character who is just a normal person.

That's basically something I want to see more often, is a gay (or any other) character that doesn't succumb to mindless stereotypes, and is actually shown to be a real person that happens to be gay. I would honestly say that it is better to have no gay characters than those that adhere to stereotypes. If we only had stereotyped characters, then people would only be taught that every gay person is just like that, and teaches no one that gay people are very diverse and can't simply be defined by their orientation.

I think my earlier post here sums up my opinion on this too, on page #3.

Edited on by Squid

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
Ze Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

Volendral

125. Posted:

I just watched a video on the Game Theory channel on Youtube that reminded me of this topic. With people unable to think of negative gay characters in games, and this video sums up a lot, though no where near all, of the negativity in the game industry towards LGBTQI community. If you're interested in watching it, it's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdmJXHJLZ6M

“People are stupid. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.”
― Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

3DS Friend Code: 5370-0406-4785 | Nintendo Network ID: Davidaw

AuthorMessage

MarceloKamui

126. Posted:

if u intend to come to Brazil for the world cup and u r gay, good luck..

Let's play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate!!! o/

Nintendo Network ID: marcelokamui

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

127. Posted:

@MarceloKamui: I'm not quite sure what that had to do with the topic at hand, but please, let's stick to gaming issues :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

May_Nyan

128. Posted:

This article made me really happy : http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/05/nintendo_apologises_...
It's unfortunate that this game can't be patched but I'm so glad that they've promised same sex relationships to be available in future games <3

メイ  にゃん

AuthorMessage

Csaw

129. Posted:

Hopefully this means Nintendo is thinking about being more diverse in their games. Unfortunately the cynic in me just believes they'll avoid releasing any of these games in the west, or will stop making them altogether.

Csaw

AuthorMessage

Tops

130. Posted:

Csaw wrote:

Hopefully this means Nintendo is thinking about being more diverse in their games. Unfortunately the cynic in me just believes they'll avoid releasing any of these games in the west, or will stop making them altogether.

Hopefully the only thing that will determine whether they get localized or made at all are the sales of Tomadachi in the west. I'm pleasantly surprised they made that statement but hopefully they can follow through and make it mean something more concrete.

Formerly: LaytonApprentice; TopLaytonsHat

AuthorMessage

2Sang

131. Posted:

Not LGBT, but very supportive of the movement. I (please) understand nintendo's decision, but disagree that it is even a controversial topic at this point. Enough countries have made significant progress. Please undastand Iwata, you made yet another bad decision. Nintendo needs to be family friendly, but they also need to be progressive and supportive. How many LGBT and supportive LGBT people did they disappoint over the "traditional family" market? Please undastand.

Please undastanding since 2012.
Shadow4SSB4 is the greatest person in the history of the internet. May god have mercy on his poor soul and also tell sakurai to add shadow, silver, and big the cat to smash.

Nintendo Network ID: DJ2Sang | Twitter: DJ2Sang

AuthorMessage

2Sang

132. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@MarceloKamui: I'm not quite sure what that had to do with the topic at hand, but please, let's stick to gaming issues :3

Why would you talk about nintendo games on nitnendolife? Blasphemy!

Shadow4SSB4 is the greatest person in the history of the internet. May god have mercy on his poor soul and also tell sakurai to add shadow, silver, and big the cat to smash.

AuthorMessage

Gioku

133. Posted:

2Sang wrote:

...I (please) understand nintendo's decision...

Pun of the day. xD

Anyway, that is great to hear; I would be very happy if Nintendo were the ones to take big steps in this field. :)

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage

WaLzgi

134. Posted:

2Sang wrote:

Not LGBT, but very supportive of the movement. I (please) understand nintendo's decision, but disagree that it is even a controversial topic at this point. Enough countries have made significant progress. Please undastand Iwata, you made yet another bad decision. Nintendo needs to be family friendly, but they also need to be progressive and supportive. How many LGBT and supportive LGBT people did they disappoint over the "traditional family" market? Please undastand.

Except Japan has not, and that is the country this game was originally made for. It ISN'T that big of a controversy. I'm not anti-gay by any means, but I don't think it's right to force private companies to support the gay community (at least very aggressively)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

Tops

135. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

2Sang wrote:

Except Japan has not, and that is the country this game was originally made for. It ISN'T that big of a controversy. I'm not anti-gay by any means, but I don't think it's right to force private companies to support the gay community (at least very aggressively)

They may be in damage control about the whole situation but no one is forcing them to do anything. If they wanted they could simply never release another game that had to do with marriage at all. Their statement is nice but it's based on the condition that they do in fact decide to release another game like this.

Formerly: LaytonApprentice; TopLaytonsHat

AuthorMessage

2Sang

136. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

2Sang wrote:

Totally, I agree in the free market. However, the free market has fans that can vote with their wallets, and I think this will lead to a fair number of votes of people who won't buy it now. I was on the fence, but this is just enough for me not to get it until it at least hits the bargain bin.

AuthorMessage

2Sang

137. Posted:

Sorry to doublepost 2 times in one thread, but any thoughts about this having an effect on nitnendo's future? Do you think this game will be nintendo's version of Song of the South (which by the way watch the movie it's not nearly as racist for the rep it gets but still was made in a different time)?

AuthorMessage

faint

138. Posted:

2Sang wrote:

Sorry to doublepost 2 times in one thread, but any thoughts about this having an effect on nitnendo's future? Do you think this game will be nintendo's version of Song of the South (which by the way watch the movie it's not nearly as racist for the rep it gets but still was made in a different time)?

i personally think a mountain was made out of a mole hill. i also think people will forget about this. for every gamer who is offended by the lack of same sex option you can count on 1000 parents who would be offended otherwise. they have alot more to lose with them than us. frankly the world needs too do a lot more changing before a kid freindly game company openly supports gay marriage..........especialy in america.

friend code: 0103-9004-2456

AuthorMessage

Squid

139. Posted:

I figured this would happen. It seems there are a lot of people (at least here in the States) on both sides of the issue that simply don't know the true story of the incident and its glitch, they only think Nintendo is now anti-gay and homophobic. I bet nobody would have made a very big deal of this had the glitch never occurred in the first place. I think it has been since blown out of proportion and misunderstood because of their recent statement about "social commentary".

However I feel Nintendo will do the right thing in the future but it also does not need to be forced onto them if it's not how they intended. Still, I have faith that they'll do what's right, after all there's nothing they can do about it now and the whole thing is really just a misunderstanding and doesn't necessarily reflect Nintendo (at least in the West)'s views. They wouldn't be so stupid as to back out on their promise in the next Tomodachi game... would they? :O

A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
Long live the King of Pop!
Ze Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

AuthorMessage

May_Nyan

140. Posted:

From what I've heard Japan doesn't actually have homophobia like the US does... it's just LGBT stuff isn't as well known about there.

メイ  にゃん