Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 361 to 380 of 413

Ralizah

CreamyDream wrote:

This first started with you saying Galaxy is tough as nails. I addressed it by saying "Nah it's an easy game aside from the postgame purple comets"

Tough as nails in comparison to Odyssey, not in its own right, like I said.

CreamyDream wrote:

It is safe to say that 3D Land's bossfights are the easiest of all 3D Mario games.

Probably. But not substantially easier. There's a very slight increase in challenge with Odyssey's bosses, but not enough to actually make most of them threatening.

Putting aside the Broodals, most of the unique bosses were easy as well (aside from Mecha Wiggler, which is the one really great boss fight in this game). They only posed any threat whatsoever when you fight their upgraded forms in the challenge paintings.

This is also balanced by the fact that the final fight with Bowser is pathetically easy in this game, whereas 3D Land's final Bowser encounter is arguably the most challenging in the series, requiring some tricky jumps and also being fairly drawn out, which, as you point out, makes it more of an endurance run.

I think they're fairly equal in this regard once you compare them fully.

CreamyDream wrote:

3D Land has a life counter, but the probability of you actually seeing the Game Over screen is very low due to the game having by far the most simple and least threatening level design of all 3D Marios

Even if you were to get a Game Over in 3D Land, the amount of progress you lose is miniscule. Levels range from about a minute to couple minutes long on average. Having to replay a level is barely a punishment.

In Odyssey, the punishment is also very miniscule but the amount of progress that you lose from being sent to the last checkpoint is usually larger than the progress you would lose in 3D World simply due to the larger and more complex nature of Odyssey's levels.

I disagree. Being forced to replay a level full of platforming challenges is far more of a "punishment" than getting docked 10 coins and being sent back to the last checkpoint, especially when there is usually very little in the way of obstacles between each checkpoint. Maybe if you ignore checkpoints and die frequently in Odyssey, but that wasn't my experience.

And are we talking about 3D Land or 3D World? Because you referenced them both here. Did you mean to do that, or was that a typo?

CreamyDream wrote:

On top of that, (this point is minor but still noteworthy) losing 10 coins directly impedes your progress towards several power moons and optional outfits in the game that require you to have coins. I personally found that to be a larger slap in the wrist than any punishment 3D Land offers.

10 coins is nothing in this game. You can gain that back in less than half a minute. Losing a life is a much more severe penalty.

CreamyDream wrote:

Next up, on top of 3D Land's level design being barebone and as simple as any 3D Mario game has ever gotten-
3D Land is mechanically far more simple than Odyssey as well.

Sure, it's more simple on a mechanical level, but there is more of an emphasis on precision platforming in 3D Land.

CreamyDream wrote:

Odyssey has many mechanics and the game challenges you with learning every single one.

You can get through the bulk of Odyssey with some pretty basic jumps, so I disagree here.

CreamyDream wrote:

3D Land simply doesn't. It's a far more simple game all around.

Sure, but a game being simple doesn't necessarily make it easier. Some of the hardest games ever made are incredibly simple.

CreamyDream wrote:

Oh and btw, this is all without even taking into account the fact that 3D Land has the Golden Tanuki powerup, which pretty much assures the notion that 3D Land is objectively easier. Even without it", my argument still stands.

No, it means that 3D Land objectively has an easier easy mode. Nothing more.

CreamyDream wrote:

Odyssey's final challenge asks you to keep track of far more mechanics than there are in the entirety of all of 3D Land, and Odyssey's is just longer.

You hit on it with that last part: there's really very little that's hard about the final challenge in Odyssey, it's just a longish slog that gives you more room for error. There's no one activity in it that really challenges you at all.

3D Land's final challenge requires expert platforming. It's shorter, yes, but also a more worthy test of skill. And, having played both games, I also found it to be far more challenging.

Whereas, to quote you, "Odyssey's is just longer."

CreamyDream wrote:

I dont think it's worth my time to go into the same level of depth for 3D World, not only because 3D World is more difficult than 3D Land, but because I think I've proved my point as to why it's inconsistent of you to complain about Odyssey being easy and not 3D Land.

I believe I've said multiple times that 3D Land is an easy game. I just don't think it's easier than Odyssey.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

gcunit

I was really looking forward to Odyssey, avoided spoilers for a couple of months prior to launch, and picked it up on release day.

5 weeks on and I've played less than 10 hours. I don't feel that need to play it.

Objectively.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

-Green-

Objectively what?

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Octane

@Ralizah Wooded Kingdom is one of the best tracks in the game!

Octane

darkfenrir

Outside of the Mario Odyssey talk... although after going into hype, bought it as fast as i can and finish it... I don't find much in me to try getting more moons afterwards (especially when my backlog now started to stare at me, and okami HD releasing in a few days and my work starting too, haha...)

I find that the Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is... kind of good, and it's not bad of a game overall but. It just made me wish for a Digimon World game that is localized to somewhere I can play (I have watched the Digimon World Next Order, and it feels weak vs the Re:Digitize Decode which Bamco didn't even localize )

The two digimon being trained at once made me think it lost some focus, since it makes you feel to have two pets vs one, maybe it should be like, a choice for players (?) but then again that will play a lot to the difficulty so I guess nothing to do about it.

darkfenrir

Pazzo-TheFool

My hot take: Deus Ex: Human Revolution is overrated.

I'd heard great things about it, so I purchased Deus Ex classic to see if I liked it. I didn't. I loved it.

Fantastic world, systems, and level design. One of my easy top 10. Then I play HR.

It's good, but nowhere near as great as the original. That's really a problem with a ton of sequels, huh?

Edited on by Pazzo-TheFool

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Arminillo

Snaplocket wrote:

@Caldorosso-E That's debatable, 9 times out of 10, the sequel is better. It's actually very rare for the first in a series to be the best. The only game I can think of where the original is undeniably better then the sequels is Walking Dead Season 1 and MAYBE Pikmin 1 (I personally find the third game better, but just barely). If you're talking about a particular game in a series compared to the latest game, then it's another story.

Valkyria Chronicles
Xenosaga I > Xenosaga II
All other Dragon Age > Dragon Age II
Devil May Cry > Devil May Cry 2
Final Fantasy X > Final Fantasy X-2
Legend of Zelda > Adventures of Link

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

The64Master

Horizon: Zero Dawn is pretty overrated. The combat is incredibly boring to me.

The64Master

Switch Friend Code: SW-1498-9388-5099 | My Nintendo: The8BitWiz | Nintendo Network ID: ghostplaysgames

Pazzo-TheFool

I have't played it, but I hear the same on HZD.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

shaneoh

Caldorosso-E wrote:

My hot take: Deus Ex: Human Revolution is overrated.

I'd heard great things about it, so I purchased Deus Ex classic to see if I liked it. I didn't. I loved it.

Fantastic world, systems, and level design. One of my easy top 10. Then I play HR.

It's good, but nowhere near as great as the original. That's really a problem with a ton of sequels, huh?

Considering that Deus Ex is nearly the perfect game, it would be a tall order for any sequel to match it, let alone exceed it. Still, Human Revolution did feel pretty generic.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

TuVictus

I've said it before but since I've just played through the "story" DLC, I'll say it again, botw is not all that once it's said and done, DLC included.

But other than that thankfully most of my opinions for major games seem to be in line with most others, so that's a relief for once.

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

NaviAndMii

Most modern FPS's...having a memorable story, meaningful difficulty levels, local co-op and competitive local multiplayer (amongst others) - all of which used to be staples of the genre - just seems like too much to ask for these days

Instead, we just get lumbered with unoriginal shooter after unoriginal shooter - each one almost indistinguishable from 10-or-so other games on the market - and each complete with its own uniquely toxic online community...and we, as players, either have to endure it or just find another genre of game to play altogether! **grumble grumble**

I just don't get any sort of buzz when I see a 'new' reveal for 'ToxicTeamShooter 7' or 'FacelessRobotManFightsAliens 9' or 'UniformedEverymanFightsInAHistoricalBattle 42' - give me something interesting!

I mean, jeez, the apparent 'Shooter of the Year' (PUBG) was an Early Access jankfest! ..if that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about the state of the genre, I don't know what will! ..but, sadly, I can almost guarantee that larger publishers are going to look at that game and think 'Ooo! Battle Royale must be the new #trend! We need to make one TEN of those!' rather than 'Ooo! Look! They came up with something kind of original and it caught on, maybe we should try doing that?!' (<- yes, yes you should!)

Aside from graphics and connectivity, the whole genre (with very few exceptions) just seems to have gotten stale and, frankly, gone backwards for the best part of a decade in my opinion...

(I hope that Nintendo try and make an original FPS of their own at some point, because they're one of the few publishers that actually seem to put creativity before marketability! ..I'd be so delighted to hear that Retro (for example) have been making their own, fresh, new FPS IP - because at least I'd actually have some confidence that it may be something distinctly different from anything else we've had to endure for the past few years! **fingers crossed!**)

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Moviefan2k4

I tend to feel most sports games are overrated, along with a lot of first-person shooters like "Halo" and "Call of Duty". I also can't stand "Grand Theft Auto", which basically tells kids its okay to deal drugs, steal cars, and beat up random women because "its just a game".

God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

EvilLucario

GTA is rated M for a good reason though. It's not rated suitably for kids.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

shaneoh

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

I also can't stand "Grand Theft Auto", which basically tells kids its okay to deal drugs, steal cars, and beat up random women because "its just a game".

Only the really stupid ones think the game is telling them those things are okay.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Seacliff

Going to get so much hate for this.

Secret of Mana

Sometimes, I can accept a game isn't for me and still see why people love it. But I can't see that here. The battle system is heavily flawed, acting as a wishy washy ATB battle system that tries too hard to be a proper Action RPG.

The presentation is nothing to write home about, the graphics are indeed colorful but fail to create a tone outside 'general lightheartedness'. And only a few music tracks stood out from forgettable (The Boss theme is pretty good at least). The story is absurdly simple and the characters are poorly written as if they had multiple writers that never checked each other's works.

SD3 improved the formula a good bit, and I think it's an okay game for it. Shame it was never localized.

Seacliff

LuckyLand

@Moviefan2k4 In GTA you can beat up random people in general, not just random women. Anyway I think games like this one (I played Vice City) are a good way to relieve anger and stress and are just a fun way to waste some time and relaxe, people know it's just bs what's happening on screen or at least they should know.
I never tried the most recent ones but I heard they take themselves much more seriously than the older ones, and I think this could be far worse. I never played them so I can't have an opinion on them but usually I think it is less acceptable when a game that wants to be taken more seriously gives you the chance to behave this way. But if a game is more ludicrous than realistic it is quite clear that it is not telling you that it is okay to behave this way.

Edited on by LuckyLand

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

JoakimZ

GTA San Andreas
Portal
Final Fantasy VII
Red Dead Redemption

Edited on by JoakimZ

JoakimZ

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0335-6096 | Nintendo Network ID: JoakimZ

Malcrash

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
GTA IV (I cannot stand the driving)
Final Fantasy VII
Earthbound
Undertale (right at its release, seems that the critical reception has died down with that game, hopefully)
Street Fighter IV (I know it is an important game for the fighting game genre, but I just didn't have much fun with it as with previous games, even with my favorite characters making it in)

Edited on by Malcrash

Malcrash

Twitter:

EvilLucario

I really liked Undertale at first, and I still do.

It's not GotY material or a masterpiece though. It's a neat little game that sort of twists some "gamey" stuff we take for granted, but it doesn't do that much with it and overall is very shallow.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.