Forums

Topic: Games You Feel are Overrated

Posts 381 to 400 of 413

LuckyLand

On Switch, Ironcast and The Mummy Demastered, they got enthusiastic review on this site but I tried them and gave up on them very soon because in my opinion they are just a frustrating mess with absolutely unfair rules and completely unbalanced

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

NaviAndMii

shaneoh wrote:

Moviefan2k4 wrote:

I also can't stand "Grand Theft Auto", which basically tells kids its okay to deal drugs, steal cars, and beat up random women because "its just a game".

Only the really stupid ones think the game is telling them those things are okay.

Deal drugs - cops come after you
Steal cars - cops come after you
Beat up civilians - cops come after you

...if the game teaches anything, it's that the cops will come after you if you break the law!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

darkfenrir

@Meowpheel But if you harm chickens in Zelda you'll get destroyed by them!!

darkfenrir

CanisWolfred

PUBG aka PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds, or even the entire Battle Royale sub-genre of shooters, rather. I get the sudden appeal of it, especially in this modern age where streaming seems to be incredibly popular. It's quite the feat and seems to reward people who are exceptionally skilled at it...but boy, is it not fun when you're starting from the bottom, climbing the rungs. I'd spend upwards of ten minutes just trying to figure out what I'm doing, only to get shot by someone I couldn't even see, and now...that's it. That's my involvement in the match. And they aren't quick matches, either, I mean there's 100 other people playing. And I'm told I could even be either lucky, or extremely stupid, there, since some people can go way longer without seeing anyone. Nevermind the drab look to PUBG in particular, as well as how buggy it can be. I haven't tried Fortnite, and while it looks better, it also seems more complex and therefore should have an even steeper learning curve.

I'm not sure if that's an unpopular opinion around here (hence why I'm not posting in the "unpopular opinions" thread), but I just don't care for them one bit. It's been a while since I've said an entire genre is not for me, and perhaps overblown, since I think the overly-intense learning curve is ultimately what's fueling its popularity, like the nuclear fusion that fuels our sun. And you know what they say about staring at the sun for too long, yeah? I'm really looking forward to when this fad inevitably blows over....

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

EvilLucario

@CanisWolfred You're not alone. A lot of my friends are playing PUBG (I'm actually in a Discord call with them and they're playing it right now), and I just don't get the appeal. It's certainly popular for a good reason, but damn. My problem with battle royale games is they take forever and there's too much downtime between firefights for my liking.

The fact that PUBG is unoptimized as hell doesn't help a lot. Fortnite is better with that, but still I just don't want to play those games. I can't wait for this craze to die down just like military shooters have died down from last generation.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

EvilLucario wrote:

My problem with battle royale games is they take forever and there's too much downtime between firefights for my liking.

Bingo. It's all the prep-work and intense challenge of a survival game, but I just don't think that gels well with FPS games at all. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that still thinks DOOM II is the best FPS games have ever been, so I think that says enough about my tastes in shooters. If I'm playing a shooter, the main focus better be on shooting things...not just camping a storage building in the hopes that I might catch someone who is passing by, before they see me in their own sniper nest, all the while reminding me that actual gunfights are genuine life-or-death struggles and I hope to God I never get into a real firefight ever!

...Yeah, that's not what I should be feeling when I'm playing a video game. EVER

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

EvilLucario

@CanisWolfred Classic Doom and Doom 2016 are among my favorite shooters too. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was also another one I greatly enjoyed. If you count Metroid Prime, those three games as well.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

Is it too early to mention the new God of War?

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

MarcelRguez

@shaneoh While that's true, I'm just asking that in a tongue-in-cheek way because I imagine not many people in this forum have played much of it, let alone finish it.

MarcelRguez

FireMario887

Overrated, huh? I'm likely to turn some heads (even my own) by saying this. There are two games that I deemed to be amazing games, but that was mostly a result of their presentation and not necessarily their gameplay.

Super Mario Galaxy - Don't get me wrong, creativity at is critical maximum with the gravity mechanics and interesting level designs, however, the more experimental approach does sacrifice some of the meat to the levels I feel. Also, I feel as if what is touted as awesome about this game has to do with its marvelous aesthetics and other technical aspects-- The orchestral music and the galactic visuals, those are all delightful, but I feel as if the gameplay is more experimental than anything. Refined in the much better Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Zelda: Twilight Princess - The dungeons are darn good in this game. Great puzzles and items, but everything else is a bit flat. I'm not much interested in exploration in games, but Hyrule still felt lackluster and the enemy encounters were stupidly easy. I adore the attempt at realism in the game though.

Don't get me wrong, there are things of which I strongly appreciate in these games, and they have highlights that outshine the other titles in their franchises, but for the most part, these games I view with more of a nostalgic bias and thus tend to overlook their flaws.

FireMario887

CanisWolfred

The new God of War...would've been my answer, but it actually sounds like it's in Hellblade's corner right now, where it sounds like it should be really enjoyable on paper, but watching videos makes it look so dull and clunky that I know I wouldn't enjoy it even half as much as other people seem to. Plus, it still seems finisher-heavy, which turned me off of the PS2 God of War games. That stuff just kills the flow in an action game, which is very important to me when I play those games.

I dunno, I just really want there to be more Hack 'n' Slash games, but I mean more like the stuff the PS2 & Xbox had. Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Otogi, and Ninja Gaiden. I want a challenge, but one that's also exciting, and rewards fast combos. They're an evolution of the Beat 'em up Genre, so why does it look like they're getting simpler, easier, and more boring when even new Beat 'em ups still seem to celebrate high-octane action? Do I really need to rely solely on Platinum games to get a good action action game these days? That's such a bummer, dude...

FireMario887 wrote:

Zelda: Twilight Princess - ...I'm not much interested in exploration in games, but-

Wait, then why are you even playing Zelda?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

Because the vast majority of Zelda games aren't open worlds or the 'explorative experience' type of game? They were well-made singleplayer adventure-puzzler, RPG-lite-on-a-Tuesday things in their own niche genre.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

MarcelRguez

@Haru17 Most of them definitely are. A game doesn't need to offer Morrowind's degree of free-reign to be considered an "explorative experiences". When you take the competition into account, games like Link's Awakening or Ocarina are some of the most exporation-based experiences on their respective systems.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Haru17

I'm saying "explorative experience" while thinking of games like No Man's Sky or even things like Minecraft. As a genre of game, not a label to be attached to games that are something else already.

Ocarina of Time is obviously not built around exploration. You do tasks, complete dungeons, and get items to progress — that's metroidvania. Now, you can mean 'exploration' as in 'there are levels and exploring is sometimes an aspect of gameplay,' but that's not what Canis or I were talking about.

Also, competition whaa? Works are what they are, they don't change definitions in relation to other works or hindsight.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

MarcelRguez

@Haru17 Minecraft and No Man's Sky aren't even the same genre, so you'll have to be more specific.

Haru17 wrote:

You do tasks, complete dungeons, and get items to progress — that's metroidvania.

So Ocarina doesn't put a focus on exploration, but it can be labeled as a genre in which exploration is the main drive.

Of course Ocarina has exploration as one of its main traits. Zelda in general can be summed up as puzzles + exploration. You do tasks and complete dungeons by solving puzzles and exploring your environment. And you are disagreeing with the main point of Canis' question, so if anything he also considers exploration a main trait of Zelda.

And again, the exploration aspect is much more obvious in 2D Zelda games, which are less gated than the 3D ones (Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild notwithstanding) and still comprised "the vast majority" of Zelda games the last time I checked. Even with a few outliers like Zelda II and Spirit Tracks, all others feature an overworld to explore freely.

Haru17 wrote:

Works are what they are, they don't change definitions in relation to other works or hindsight

I'm literally asking you to do the opposite and take into account the games in their original context (platform limitations + what other games on those platforms do), not in hindsight. If anything, changing definitions retroactively is what you're doing by applying modern standards to games from generations 5-6 and below.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

FireMario887

@CanisWolfred I know the series emphasises exploration as it main aspect, but I play them for the linear dungeons with their structured puzzles and combat sequences. I think that's an area that Zelda thrives on, particularly TP

FireMario887

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.