Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,281 to 12,300 of 13,106

RR529

Godzilla 2: City on the Edge of Battle (Netflix original film) - sequel to Godzilla: Monster Planet that sees the remnents of humanity hoping to push back against Godzilla after they discover that the old Mechagodzilla project abandoned thousands of years prior may be salvagable. Has a message about not overly relying on technology and cold logic.

Violence - Mild: Just imagery of war machinery being destroyed and stuff like that. Notging gory.

Sex - None.

Language - Mild: Just your typical PG-13 type stuff.

How'd I like it? It was pretty decent, although I wish that they had kept around a Mechagodzilla in it's traditional form, albiet larger to combat Godzilla Earth. As is, it kinda plays out like the battle from the first movie, just on a larger scale.

Godzilla 3: the Planet Eater (Netflix original film) - The final entry in the trilogy that sees what's left of humanity falling into a cult that promises to destroy Godzilla by summoning their god, King Ghidora (of course this doesn't end up being the best idea). This one has a message about not overly relying on religion or the occult.

Violence - Medium: It's not particularly gory, but does have the most disturbing imagery out of all these films, including a scene that indicates a character was cooked alive just a dream though, a scene where peoples' bodies are being eaten alive by an etheral force (albiet with no gore), and a character's face, clothes, & hands are covered in blood after sustaining damage to their eye.

Sex - Mild: A female character strips down, although nothing is shown, and the scene is presented in a more poignant way.

Language - Mild: Again, just typical PG-13 stuff.

How'd I like it? Again, it was pretty decent, but I wouldn't put the film (or the entire trilogy) on my list of favorite anime movies. I still appreciate that they did something really new with the Godzilla IP, though, as there's nothing else in the Kaiju's long history quite like these films, and they're still worth a look if you're into anime or Godzilla. While he definitely had a sense of scale & power, I wasn't a huge fan of Ghidora's design here.

@kkslider5552000, @CanisWolfred, I knew Flip Flappers sounded familiar. Just looked it up and it was one of the few anime I watched a few years ago for the short time I was actually trying to keep up with the current seasons. I think it was pretty decent but don't remember much of it.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

I tend to only watch 2 new anime per new season, and haven't decided on which ones yet. I'm certain Fire Force will be on Toonami someday, so that's off the list. Dr. Stone might as well, but I'd be more willing to watch it now. There's that space anime, there's some magical girl meets mecha anime and of course Vinland Saga. Hard to decide.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Heavyarms55

@kkslider5552000 I watched the magical girl mecha anime too. Seemed about exactly what you would expect from the description. What space anime are you talking about? I seem to have missed that one.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred Don't know how I missed something like that. Maybe Crunchyroll doesn't have it. I'll have to double check later. Thanks for the tip!

Forgotten_Arctic

WARNING! THE FOLLOWING POST MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS! PLEASE BE WARNED!!!!!

Hey guys, I have a question. I was watching a Gigguk video on YouTube when I saw a scene from...something. Start the clip around 6:53 and it ends probably around 6:57(?). Anyone know what it is?

Nothing is better than playing a game and having a character say something like, "What was your name again? I forgot. Oh! Forgotten!"

Forgotten Arctic

3DS Friend Code: 3154-0349-0002 | My Nintendo: Forgotten | Nintendo Network ID: forgottenarctic

Forgotten_Arctic

@Knighty_IX Of course! Thanks!

Nothing is better than playing a game and having a character say something like, "What was your name again? I forgot. Oh! Forgotten!"

Forgotten Arctic

3DS Friend Code: 3154-0349-0002 | My Nintendo: Forgotten | Nintendo Network ID: forgottenarctic

Laoak

I have recently been watching Fairy Tail from the start. I Recently got into Anime so the only ones I had seen were 90's Anime, Naruto and One Piece. I'm at Episode 30 and this does remind me of One Piece a lot!

{funny quote here}

CanisWolfred

I've been watching Fairy Tail, trying to get caught up. I just finished the Tartaros Arc, as well as Fairy Tail Zero, closing out the 2014 series. Everything seemed to come to a head at once. After the plodding pace One Piece tends to go at, my head was spinning trying to keep up with all of the plot developments. I mean everything - pretty much every subplot they established tied back into these two arcs, you can really tell they were trying to wrap this up. All that's left is the Final Season, though I think I'll wait until September to watch it, so we're closer to the end of it all. I also in danger of burning out, I need some time to let this all sink in...

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@CanisWolfred Don't know how I missed something like that. Maybe Crunchyroll doesn't have it. I'll have to double check later. Thanks for the tip!

It seems to be an exclusive on Funimation. I already pay for a subscription there, so that's how I watched it. I couldn't find it on Crunchyroll, at least, and I don't Stream much anime outside of those two sites.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

infinite86

Anyone read/watch Berserk? It's my new favorite.

infinite86

BougieBeetle

@onilink86 OG Berserk anime and the manga is an all-time favorite of mine across any media. I've tried a little of nu-Berserk was wasn't thrilled by it (OG was just so damn good, it's hard to compare).

One Stage at a Time, a podcast examining classic games level by level | https://soundcloud.com/onestageatatime

RR529

Really suprised to see no one mention the story of the arsonist who set Kyoto Animation on fire today (I saw an article a few hours ago on Yahoo while at work).

It's apparently the deadliest arson Japan has seen in nearly 20 years, with dozens dead & dozens more injured. I haven't seen many of their series (I think just Eureka Seven & Deadman Wonderland, of which the former is one of my favorite anime series), but this is a terrible tragedy, and I pray for everyone affected.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Heavyarms55

@RR529 We've been talking about it in the Chit-Chat thread.

kkslider5552000

RR529 wrote:

I haven't seen many of their series (I think just Eureka Seven & [strong]Deadman Wonderland[/strong

um...those were not made by Kyoani... :/

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Anti-Matter

I found Dumbell Nan Kiro was a Bodybuilding Anime i knew from Youtube just now.
Oh, gosh.... The muscular dudes there was too Photoshopped and i have no interest to see the girls inside that anime.
But, hey... Not bad for a Bodybuilding anime since that was a Very Rare genre for anime. I wish there will be more Chibi anime with Boxing / Bodybuilding theme in cute way.

Anti-Matter

Heavyarms55

Just want to point out that Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba has gone from awesome to trash in the span of just a few episodes. It is actually remarkable how badly they drove this series into the ground. What started as an intense story with serious, characters a dark plot and honestly breathless action animation has devolved rapidly into just a generic shonen comedy routine. Two new characters who, if the intro is any indication, are main characters, are positively obnoxious. One is a muscle brained moron without enough sense to differentiate between his allies and enemies. And the other is a babbling, crying snot nosed coward who literally will hide behind children to save himself - whose introduction is as a slobbering idiot trying to force himself on a woman "before he dies". And both of these characters scream almost every line. It's such a stark contrast from how the show began and such a massive downgrade. It's like ordering a delicious meal at a restaurant, taking a couple bites, and then two idiots walk up and sneeze and cough all over it. Really don't want to keep eating!

I can't even think of another show that started off so cool and interesting only to go downhill so fast and so much!

On another note Dr. Stone and Is it wrong to pick up girls in a Dungeon 2 are proving to be very good this season. Much to my relief.

CanisWolfred

@Heavyarms55 I'd argue that Demon Slayer was racing through the setup just to get to the routine. It always felt like it was rushing to me. Shrugs I wasn't that invested in it, though.

Anyways, I'm most of the way through the Dragon Ball Super arc, and while I have some storytelling issues and weird retcons that feels more like the scriptwriters aren't actually all that familiar with Goku (he never kissed Chi-Chi? What?!), I'm enjoying it so far, and where its taking the story. The humor is also getting better, though maybe I just have a soft spot for time-travel-based confusion. Either way, it's been pretty fun so far, even as the stakes ramp up. Decent fights, too, even if the animation leaves something to be desired (I'm well aware of the production issues they've had).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred I sat through about 30 episodes of Super before I concluded that my tastes have simply changed from when I was a kid.

CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@CanisWolfred I sat through about 30 episodes of Super before I concluded that my tastes have simply changed from when I was a kid.

To be fair: If they were the first 30 episodes? They were terrible. I just wound up skimming through them. They literally reanimated the movies while making them worse, mostly to buy time and set up the later arcs (but there were other ways they could've done it). It gets better. Not fantastic, but better.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic