Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,281 to 12,300 of 12,301

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

Finished up KuroMukuro (Netflix Original) recently. I've liked a lot of what I've watched on Netflix, but I'm pretty certain this is my favorite by far.

I loved the mix of traditional Japanese culture/aesthetics and mecha (not to mention the fact that it stayed centered in Japan), I loved the central romance storyline (reminded me a lot of InuYasha, TBH, though much faster paced), and I loved Tom (probably top 5 Americans in anime, IMO).

Pretty great overall, though I didn't care too much for most of the Efidolg geoframe designs (other than the titular KuroMukuro). Liked the human made GAUS units, though.

Even the ending? I mean, I liked the series well enough, but I honestly can't think of a more fitting description of its ending other than "To Be Continued Never". Made the whole experience feel like a waste, IMO.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000

The first episode of Little Witch Academia is in my top 10 for first episodes of an anime. **** Netflix for unintentionally burying this series' chances of reaching a large audience with its stupid assumptions about how every series should be showcased on Netflix.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

RR529

CanisWolfred wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Finished up KuroMukuro (Netflix Original) recently. I've liked a lot of what I've watched on Netflix, but I'm pretty certain this is my favorite by far.

I loved the mix of traditional Japanese culture/aesthetics and mecha (not to mention the fact that it stayed centered in Japan), I loved the central romance storyline (reminded me a lot of InuYasha, TBH, though much faster paced), and I loved Tom (probably top 5 Americans in anime, IMO).

Pretty great overall, though I didn't care too much for most of the Efidolg geoframe designs (other than the titular KuroMukuro). Liked the human made GAUS units, though.

Even the ending? I mean, I liked the series well enough, but I honestly can't think of a more fitting description of its ending other than "To Be Continued Never". Made the whole experience feel like a waste, IMO.

I can totally understand that. I guess it just never really bothered me, for some reason.

I'll admit it's disappointing to know we'll never get to see who the Efidolg really are though.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

RR529 wrote:

I can totally understand that. I guess it just never really bothered me, for some reason.

I'll admit it's disappointing to know we'll never get to see who the Efidolg really are though.

What? That's what you were disappointed by?

They send the main protagonist in a wormhole so he can join forces with a coalition of alien races to make a final stand with the Efi Dorg, yet do we actually get to see that? NO!!! Instead, it ends on a to be continued where they spend half a decade building a ship and just...hoping they catch up to them before it's to late. Unless they make a movie or continuation, as far as I'm concerned, this series was never finished.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Link-Hero

@Joeynator3000
Ah, Assassination Classroom. Been watching it recently. Was originally not interested at first until I heard a bunch of people recommending it.

It's unexpectedly enjoyable. I'm right now at around the half way point.

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

kkslider5552000

Based on one episode, Recovery of an MMO Junkie is the optimistic contrast to that one arc of Welcome to the NHK.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

KirbyTheVampire

Anyone have any anime recommendations on Netflix Canada? I finished Sword Art Online and am partway through Sword Art Online 2, and I'm planning on watching Death Note and Attack on Titan after that, but I'm interested in watching some others as well, so if you have any recommendations, let me know.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@KirbyTheVampire Have you watched Madoka Magica? Gurren Lagann? Kill La Kill? All stellar shows on the American version of Netflix. Not sure if they're on your version, though.

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

KirbyTheVampire

@Ralizah Nah, pretty much all I've seen is SAO 1 and 2, lol. I'll look into those, though. Thanks!

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 I'm really digging Recovery of an MMO Junkie. It's wonderful romantic fluff. And yes, light years more optimistic than the bleak Welcome to the NHK!

I like to think Morioka Moriko is Tomoko from WataMote after years and years of intense therapy.

@KirbyTheVampire Regarding Madoka Magica: you might see the big eyes and frilly dresses and decide to dismiss it. I really urge you to give it a chance, though. It's a modern classic and one of the most consistently shocking and captivating TV shows I've ever seen. Also, it's only 12 episodes, so not a huge time commitment.

Edited on by Ralizah

Link-Hero

For those who haven't already, go watch Madoka Magica. I highly recommend it.

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Krull

@KirbyTheVampire You can't go wrong with (series 1 of) Death Note and Attack on Titan - both are excellent (and better than SAO, I think anyway, which really swings in quality). They also both take themselves quite seriously. For something a bit lighter, Seven Deadly Sins or Kill la Kill would be a great counterpoint. Or, if you haven't seen it, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is generally viewed as one of the all-time greats.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

KirbyTheVampire

@Ralizah I'll keep that in mind. I'm slowly becoming a bit more tolerant of the over the top style in anime, so I should be able to accept that if the story is good, lol.

@Krull Yeah, I've heard good things about all of those ones. I'll look into them. And yeah, SAO has some great moments and others that I really don't understand why they were even added, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

Tsurii

Krull wrote:

Seven Deadly Sins

That one should be mandatory by now. Only things I really don't like about the anime in particular are the godawful second opener (with its objectively stupid song) and that they cut some things that make the final arc of season 1 fall apart a teensy bit. It's still enjoyable on its own, I think, but if you read the Manga afterwards, and anyone who enjoyed Seven Deadly Sins should read the manga as well, you'll come to really appreciate a lot for the writing of that series. Some ridiculous foreshadowing and great characterization with really fun character interactions in a lot of the extra stuff the Manga volumes got (which aren't in the anime adaption itself, only some OVA that may or may not have been localized)

It kiiiinda falls a little off around the halfway point (up to now) but that's beyond season 1 of the anime and it's already back on track bigger and better than Part 1/the material the anime covered could ever hope to be. And that s*** is already great.

It's actually getting its second season in spring (maybe it was winter, I'm not entirely sure rn), but it's likely gonna be in Netflix again. So it's possible we won't get to watch that stuff until summer or fall, Netflix is being pretty stupid about their anime stuff imo

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Ralizah

I'm not really into romance-focused anime in general, but my god, Recovery of an MMO Junkie has to be the cutest thing I've seen in years! I almost skipped this. So glad I didn't.

It's also provides a nice contrast to the other series I'm into right now, the excellent but increasingly bleak Fate Zero.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic