Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,261 to 12,280 of 12,379

kkslider5552000

Based on one episode, Recovery of an MMO Junkie is the optimistic contrast to that one arc of Welcome to the NHK.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Joeynator3000

Ugh, I hate streaming....this is why I buy all my anime/shows on dvd/bluray. lol
Freakin' buffering issues.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep the main channel PG-ish.

Cyborg: Why can't you call it a configuration disc?
Beast Boy: Why can't you call it an eyeball pizza thingy?

KirbyTheVampire

Anyone have any anime recommendations on Netflix Canada? I finished Sword Art Online and am partway through Sword Art Online 2, and I'm planning on watching Death Note and Attack on Titan after that, but I'm interested in watching some others as well, so if you have any recommendations, let me know.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@KirbyTheVampire Have you watched Madoka Magica? Gurren Lagann? Kill La Kill? All stellar shows on the American version of Netflix. Not sure if they're on your version, though.

Ralizah

Joeynator3000

...I need some Assassination Classroom wallpapers. searches the internet, finds disturbing Nagisa pics
...You know what never mind, I don't need any right now.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

KirbyTheVampire

@Ralizah Nah, pretty much all I've seen is SAO 1 and 2, lol. I'll look into those, though. Thanks!

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@kkslider5552000 I'm really digging Recovery of an MMO Junkie. It's wonderful romantic fluff. And yes, light years more optimistic than the bleak Welcome to the NHK!

I like to think Morioka Moriko is Tomoko from WataMote after years and years of intense therapy.

@KirbyTheVampire Regarding Madoka Magica: you might see the big eyes and frilly dresses and decide to dismiss it. I really urge you to give it a chance, though. It's a modern classic and one of the most consistently shocking and captivating TV shows I've ever seen. Also, it's only 12 episodes, so not a huge time commitment.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Link-Hero

For those who haven't already, go watch Madoka Magica. I highly recommend it.

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

Krull

@KirbyTheVampire You can't go wrong with (series 1 of) Death Note and Attack on Titan - both are excellent (and better than SAO, I think anyway, which really swings in quality). They also both take themselves quite seriously. For something a bit lighter, Seven Deadly Sins or Kill la Kill would be a great counterpoint. Or, if you haven't seen it, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is generally viewed as one of the all-time greats.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

KirbyTheVampire

@Ralizah I'll keep that in mind. I'm slowly becoming a bit more tolerant of the over the top style in anime, so I should be able to accept that if the story is good, lol.

@Krull Yeah, I've heard good things about all of those ones. I'll look into them. And yeah, SAO has some great moments and others that I really don't understand why they were even added, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

Tsurii

Krull wrote:

Seven Deadly Sins

That one should be mandatory by now. Only things I really don't like about the anime in particular are the godawful second opener (with its objectively stupid song) and that they cut some things that make the final arc of season 1 fall apart a teensy bit. It's still enjoyable on its own, I think, but if you read the Manga afterwards, and anyone who enjoyed Seven Deadly Sins should read the manga as well, you'll come to really appreciate a lot for the writing of that series. Some ridiculous foreshadowing and great characterization with really fun character interactions in a lot of the extra stuff the Manga volumes got (which aren't in the anime adaption itself, only some OVA that may or may not have been localized)

It kiiiinda falls a little off around the halfway point (up to now) but that's beyond season 1 of the anime and it's already back on track bigger and better than Part 1/the material the anime covered could ever hope to be. And that s*** is already great.

It's actually getting its second season in spring (maybe it was winter, I'm not entirely sure rn), but it's likely gonna be in Netflix again. So it's possible we won't get to watch that stuff until summer or fall, Netflix is being pretty stupid about their anime stuff imo

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Ralizah

I'm not really into romance-focused anime in general, but my god, Recovery of an MMO Junkie has to be the cutest thing I've seen in years! I almost skipped this. So glad I didn't.

It's also provides a nice contrast to the other series I'm into right now, the excellent but increasingly bleak Fate Zero.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Krull

@Tsurii Yep, looking forward to the second season of Seven Deadly Sins, though I will be waiting for Netflix to catch up - love the idea of the manga, but I have a pile of books to read that's taller than I am... It was actually a guy on a train who put me onto Seven Deadly Sins, when he caught me watching Kill la Kill. Love a random recommendation.

Edited on by Krull

Joeynator3000

...Episode 36 in Assassination Classroom...WTF? I was playing Monster Hunter XX, and I just...froze up seeing that beginning scene. lol

Edited on by Joeynator3000

kkslider5552000

I feel like Little Witch Academia exists specifically to make people happy. It is the best, I've decided.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

BMO_Advanced

I'm looking for a recommendation. It's been awhile since I've been pleasantly surprised by an Anime. I feel like I've seen most truly good Animes already but I know that's not true. It can be any anime with an interesting story, I'm not a fan of clichés. The last anime I finished was My Hero Academia and it felt really stale and unoriginal to me.

Here are some of the anime series I can currently come up with that did stood out for me:

Hunter X Hunter
Monster
Death Note
Steins;gate
Full Metal Alchemist
Attack on Titan
Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Clannad: After Story
Nichijou
Code Geass
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsjuiokuhen
One Punch Man
Tiger and Bunny
Kill la Kill
Another
Toradora!
Your Lie in April

I really appreciate all effort put in suggestions, but I'm not easily pleased haha
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Sir_Anthony (not entirely complete)

A piece of the Triforce appeared before you! (>'.')> Touch it now!

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2624-1857 | Nintendo Network ID: Acegamer-62

Krull

@Sir_Anthony Ah, an easy recommendation for you: Seven Deadly Sins. That should fit in with what your list, especially if you're a fan of the likes of Hunter X Hunter.

I'm looking for recommendations too. Currently watching Gurren Lagann, which I'm enjoying despite myself. Generally can't stand mecha stuff, but the story, characters and humour are just about endearing enough to get me through. Apart from Nia. Her "little girl lost" voice sets my teeth on edge.

Tsurii

@Sir_Anthony @Krull Made in Abyss
Thank me when you're done watching it.

And I'll second Seven Deadly Sins, but be aware that the transition to the second season (which is airing in January) is likely gonna be incredibly...janky. The series is good, but some really dumb changes from the source material hold it back a bit. I'm usually not the type to mind something to deviate a little from whatever it's based on but in this case it just lessens a few characters and the ending they created straight-up does not make sense with how the story is gonna continue.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Maxz

@Sir_Anthony Silver Spoon is from the same writer as Fullmetal Alchemist, and I really enjoyed it. It's set on an agricultural school, which is obviously a large departure from the fantasy world of FA, but if you look closely you can still see the fingerprints of the author in it. The first episode didn't absolutely blow me away, but I found it to be a really engaging and refreshing world to get acquainted with. It's a humbler setting, but the characteristic mix of charm peppered with angst is still there.

I've also been rewatching Ping Pong: The Animation, which is partly standard sports anime fare, but with enough doglegs in the story and quirk in the characters to make it interesting. It's also got an endearingly wonky animation style which I just quite like looking at.

And then more in line with the full-on action shows you've listed might be Bungō Stray Dogs, which I think has some interesting flourishes (mixed in with some more derivative derivative elements, and a less the subtle depiction of the protagonist's complexes - I still like it though).

I'm not sure how many of them will hit the mark, but I hope it's some help at least.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic