Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,301 to 12,320 of 12,385

Vinny

One of the best anime I've watched in 2017 was Trigun, I love how they mix humor with action (though it gets darker halfway though) and the soundtrack is amazing.
And it turns 20 this year, I think.

This blue eye percieves all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

RR529

I have fond memories of watching Trigun in the summer of 2004, I believe.

I remember that's the summer I really first started to watch Adult Swim for the first time (mainly for InuYasha, but Cowboy Bebop, Lupin the 3rd, and I believe Trigun, were the other shows in the lineup). I was 13 at the time, how the years fly by...

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

CanisWolfred

Hey! It turns out Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is available on Crunchyroll & Funimation under the title "Star Blazers." And it has an English dub on Funimation! I dunno when that happened, but I'm just glad that I have a legal venue to rewatch it and its ongoing sequel now! (Well, maybe not the sequel yet. But Hopefully it'll come eventually! Probably after the TV version comes out, since it started as a bunch of feature films...which were still split up into 24-minute episodes. That really confused me for a while...)

So far, the dub cast has been fine. I mean, the captain in the original version had a pretty iconic voice in the Japanese version that I never expected anyone to match, but at least what we got is serviceable. If anyone's looking for a good Space Opera series to watch, I'd highly recommend it. Aside from a point where it slows down maybe a little too much at the start of the second act, I felt like it hit all the right notes while consistantly making me go, "Oh man! I can't wait to see what happens next!" Right up until the end credits rolled.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

RR529

For those interested, the live action Fullmetal Alchemist film that released in Japan last year has popped up on Netflix (in the U.S.) as an exclusive.

It follows the early parts of the story pretty faithfully (with some modification of course. For example Scar hasn't shown up yet), and the ending definitely hints that they're going to continue.

The special effects are actually pretty good for the most part (especially all the particle effects from the transmutations), though they show their limitations when being used to animate a living being (though this may be in part because they try too hard to recreate how things look in the anime. Even some the actual actors look like they're wearing a, highly detailed, cosplay of the character they're playing, rather than being the character, if that makes sense. The Humonculli especially.)

Overall it was a pretty decent watch.

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Maxz

@RR529 Interesting, I didn't know there was a live action FMA film. I'm a bit cautious about live action adaptions, but I might give it a watch.

I'm currently rewatching Brotherhood, which I dipped into it again after my girlfriend made me watch Attack in Titan. I thought it was a bit pants, so I restarted FMA to see if it was just AoT I didn't like, or whether I'd completely gone cold on Shounen anime in the last few years.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying Brotherhood, so it seems I simply don't like Attack on Titan very much. Both shows have got their shocking moments, but I feel that FMA uses them to ask interesting (if uncomfortable) questions, whereas AoT just uses them reinstate the point that rampaging flesh-eating giants are... a bad thing. Which was never really in question to begin with. In the 15 episodes I've watched, that seems to be the only real point it's established: monsterous giants are bad.

I also watched Your Name for the first time, and I liked it. @Ralizah did his own synopsis a few weeks back, which I remember finding interesting, so I'll give it another read again now that I've actually watched it. I won't post anything nearly as detailed, but I think it's fair to say I enjoyed it, and felt Shinkai left his question marks in much more satisfying places than some of his previous films. Looked gorgeous too. Really wish I'd been able to watch it in a cinema. There's just so much detail and depth to the scenes.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

TheLZdragon

Movies that don't really make sense are usually the best ones though

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Joeynator3000

So...yeah, last night I finished the first season of....erm...Sailor Moon.
Yeah, I like the anime now, get over it. TwT
I'll get around to R later, lol

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep the main channel PG-ish.

Cyborg: Why can't you call it a configuration disc?
Beast Boy: Why can't you call it an eyeball pizza thingy?

kkslider5552000

I started watching Robotics;Notes, which I've been planning to watch basically since it came out. I'm not gonna assume it's gonna be as good as Steins;Gate but I'm interested in where it's going to go nonetheless.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

kkslider5552000

I'm just here to remind people to watch Little Witch Academia, because it is the best.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm just here to remind people to watch Little Witch Academia, because it is the best.

...Yeah, I needed that reminder. I haven't booted up Netflix in quite some time, so I keep forgetting about it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

Ralizah

Actually watched a few episodes of LWA last night. It's... okay. Most of the stuff I like about it is stuff I like about every Studio Trigger anime. The dumb protagonist reminds me of the main characters in almost every shounen anime I've seen in the last decade.

But, you know, it's wholesome and cute. That's probably enough.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Spanjard

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

...Yeah, I needed that reminder. I haven't booted up Netflix in quite some time, so I keep forgetting about it.

I wanted to love it. On a personal level, and even though it’s considered cliche, I found that the intro was perfect. I loved everything about it. Till... he went to the actual academy and things went down rapidly for me. Just everything from characters, pacing and quality overall. I was really offended and gave one more episode a go, but it didn’t convince me to continue watching.

Did I watch filler or something? I’m curious if other people felt the same. I’m also open to continue watching if things get better, because I really liked it.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Ralizah

What's everyone watching this season? Lots of interesting shows lately.

For me:

• Cutie Honey Universe
  • Full Metal Panic: Invisible Victory
  • Steins;Gate 0
  • Persona 5: The Animation
  • Magical Girl Site (SO edgy)
  • Magical Girl Ore

Ralizah

CanisWolfred

@Ralizah

All the oldies-made-newies. I even watched a ton of trailers last night to be sure, but no, all I currently am interested in this season are all based on old classics, save for My Hero Academia S3, since that's just a modern classic.

• Cutie Honey Universe
  • Lupid the Third -Part V-
  • Fist of the Blue Sky ReGenesis
  • GeGeGe no Kitaro
  • Full Metal Panic! Invincible Victory (I see what you did there...Part I.V.)
  • Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These
  • MEGALOBOX (And I'm not even a boxing fan. It just looks that cool)

Sadly, Cutie Honey is looking like it'll be exclusive to Sentai's paid site that looks just as bad as The Anime Network, so...that's at the bottom of my priority list at the moment. I haven't even been able to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes legally through that POS...I'll probably have to resort to fansubs again...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

Tsurii

@Ralizah

Nothing overly exciting I'd say. Pretty much just HeroAca (because sequel + I wanna see my favorite characters in action), Franxx (which seems to make reviewers INCREDIBLY stupid), Megalo Box looks like it could become something I can really get into and then Hinamatsuri because I need my obligatory moeblob show, also helps when its humor is right up my alley.

Other than that, figuring out what to stick with I guess. I might check out Magical Girl Site because I usually get a kick out of those super edgy Mahou Shoujo series and maybe I'll catch up on WIXOSS, if I'm really bored, I kind of stopped bothering after the movie.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

CanisWolfred

@Tsurii As in the reviewers are saying incredibly stupid things in an attempt to be funny, ie user reviews/blog reviewers thirsty for hits? Or did a bunch of people jump on it to say it's disappointing? I haven't seen it yet (Knew it'd go on for more than 1 season, so I decided I'd hold off so I could binge it in one go), so I'm hoping for the former than the latter...not that it ever matters to me. I rarely pay attention to anime reviews, or really any critique of non-interactive mediums, since there's so much that hinges on personal experience and expectations going in that I the reviews themselves are counter-intuitive to why I read reviews in the first place: To know whether or not a piece of media will be worth my time.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

Tsurii

@CanisWolfred nah, I meant it literally seems to make some people dumb as ****

So far, up to episode 14 or w/e they're on, it was pretty easy to comprehend. Not because it's overly simple or in your face, but because the writing is actually that good. I really enjoy how they're pacing everything and how it all starts to slowly come together.

But a bunch of people don't seem to understand anything. Now I'm not sure if that's them being disappointed by...something and latching onto trivial crap or if they legitimately don't see things the story is conveying but I can't understand how anyone wouldn't be able to piece everything together on their own.
It also seems like a ton of people don't understand the concept of a character arc all of a sudden, it's weird.

I don't really fall back on reviews to see what I like or don't like or even to see how others think of something all the time (that's why I'm talking to people in person after all, because I prefer actually discussing stuff with friends at our own pace rather than just "reacting" to opinion pieces) but sometimes you get curious, y'know
And for some reason it always ends with me being kinda irritated by people who don't seem to get the most obvious things (I was watching Killing Bites, because it was actually quite enjoyable, surprisingly enough, and it's astonishing how many people don't recognize characters they watched for 13 weeks lol)

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

RR529

@Ralizah, I haven't kept up with the whatever the current season is in quite awhile, so I have no idea what's currently going on in the world of anime, lol.

I just usually wait until something interesting pops up for streaming on Netflix, or for purchase on the digital storefronts (like Amazon Video or Google Play). Of course, there are some disadvantages (I don't think Sentai or Aniplex release anything on the digital storefronts... for whatever reason), but there are advantages as well (I know I won't have to deal with the broadcast censorship that's still present in the Crunchyroll streams, as they simulcast the TV versions).

The last thing I watched was A.I.C.O. Incarnation on Netflix, which was decent, even if a bit short.

Edited on by RR529

kkslider5552000

Spanjard wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I wanted to love it. On a personal level, and even though it’s considered cliche, I found that the intro was perfect. I loved everything about it. Till... he went to the actual academy and things went down rapidly for me. Just everything from characters, pacing and quality overall. I was really offended and gave one more episode a go, but it didn’t convince me to continue watching.

Did I watch filler or something? I’m curious if other people felt the same. I’m also open to continue watching if things get better, because I really liked it.

No, you're just flatly wrong.

also you're complaining about pacing of a Trigger show but have a One Piece avatar. Dude, cmon.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic