Forums

Topic: A gentle and very lovely reminder about spam

Posts 21 to 32 of 32

Raylax

Oh god guys I'm sorry, my web gremlins got out of their cage again. Oh jeez, look at all the mess they're making... look just give me 10 minutes and I'll round them back up. Can you pass me that net over there? If we can get them into a corner they should be easier to catch, but they might make a dash for it. Someone make sure that door's shut all they'll end up all over the internet.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Malkeor

@Mickeymac,
But i've never heard of having to delete a post at a time.
Seems silly not to just delete the topic, no matter how many posts are on there, everything is gone.
I've been a mod before, it was for Wonderking, I don't know how THESE forums work on the inside, but cmon

Edited on by Malkeor

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

Reala

I think whether each comment is deleted individually depends on the circumstances, in the recent case I doubt the spammer is trying to become a proper member of the community so cutting a thread down and leaving a warning in a locked thread probably wont happen in that instance, in any case lets not bump their threads and feed their attention or make the home page cluttered with violating threads, just report and move on.

Reala

Malkeor

I do agree with ignoring a spammer's post, but when it's cluttered in every section, you're bound to get a few people angry and post any way xD
Regardless it shouldn't ruin the lives of the moderator, no matter how many posts, BUT the only thing it disrupts is the news feed. Because the topic was posted in may other sections and getting scattered replies that's all that showed up.

Anyway we do need more stickies though, like this if it isn't.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

Joeynator3000

I honestly think people would post in the spam thread regardless...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

theblackdragon

VincentV wrote:

Oh, too late, because I replied to it. Yep, spam is wild right now. Same on Game Informer. On second thought, when I said you could go to them for advice, I just noticed it may not be a very bright idea to ask a competitor for advice. Yeah, just redo the banning system to have a method for spammers.

We do have a system in place, thank you. It screens about 80-90% of the normal spammers I used to have to scan through and ban manually. The very few that make it through usually wind up banned before they ever bother getting around to posting, and the even fewer than that that actually make it to the forums and begin posting, we take them out as soon as we can. One lucky spammer does not an epidemic make.

Please remember that the Nlife Network is a labor of love; we're all here as volunteers to give you the best sites and communities we possibly can. When spammers hit, we will take care of it as soon as we are able, but in the meantime, we appreciate your patience, the reported comments, and above all else, you all not going out of your way to make more work for us in terms of comment deletion in otherwise normal threads.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Tasuki

VincentV wrote:

Oh, too late, because I replied to it. Yep, spam is wild right now. Same on Game Informer.

For some reason I always seem to notice more spam and trolls coming around this time of the year. I think it has to do with E3 coming and other conventions not only that but bored people come poking around cause schools are getting out for the summer.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Reala

James wrote:

What to do if you find a spam topic (or post).

This post is still in effect. I'm aware we're seeing quite a bit of spam around here lately, so the official line is to report the post or topic and move on — please don't respond to it, as that only makes our job take longer as we then have to delete your posts too, and nobody wants that.

Someone make spam. You find spam. You report spam. Everyone be happy.

Looks like some need to be reminded of this yet again :/

Reala

CommanderAudio

If you tried hard to stop spam on the 3DS FC thread, you'd go nuts

Fire is more fun with friends, kids!
Formerly known as PikminMonster
Choose Your Own Adventure!
3DS FC:4554-0106-9407
Let me know if you add me, but PLEASE DON'T send me spam in ...

turtlelink

Dark_Oddy_Rises wrote:

CommanderAudio wrote:

If you tried hard to stop spam on the 3DS FC thread, you'd go nuts

I haven't been there since the 3DS came out. Thankfully...

It's basically a zoo in there

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

Reala

I have tried that very thing thankfully I was nuts before, also not just a lack of love for the edit button there, but for some reason a lot of them are overly interested in what position the person they are adding goes number 1 :/ best to stay out of the stranger danger thread really, err 3DS fc thread...... same thing.

Edited on by Reala

Reala

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.