TX=TCHX:TY=TCHY:TS=TCHST
IF BT AND 4 THEN U=U-1
IF BT AND 8 THEN U=U+1
U=(U+14)%14:'KEEPING IT IN 0-13
LOCATE 0,0:?CHR$(T[U])
IF TS THEN PNLSTR TX/8,TY/8,CHR$(T[U])
GOTO @LOOP

@bluerobin2
Electrical surge blew out your B button? That's stupid. Buttons and Dpad are just switches and they can withstand huge sparks no problem. There are various components that are more fragile. If a component, such as a multiplexer fails, then there'd be a lot more buttons that fail. My guess is soldering is faulty on that 3DS. Best bet is to get a new 3DS and transfer the data to a new one. Where'd you send your 3DS to be repaired? Nintendo shouldn't be doing spam. If they did, you should complain. This isn't the right forum to do so, but if you find a good thread, please direct me there. I'd be interested in knowing the solution. Thanks.
EDIT:
You should also blog your experience from the very beginning on your blogspot. Then anytime Nintendo asked whats wrong, you can simply point the issue posted on your blog.

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Pixelrobin

hey @ramstrong great idea! I suppose I snould email them and demand a free repair .

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

damolii

I've been looking on the forum a lot, and I've noticed something. I've seen that isn't a lot of talk about music. I'm assuming you guys either port it or use the ones given on the software. Well, that got me thinking, and I've decided that I want to make music for your programs XD. You can tell me your program, an overview of it, and what the mood of the song should be. Then, I will try my best to get you a song as soon as possible. It will give me something to do other than proofs and special triangles , and not as time-consuming as programming. So, fire away!!! XD

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

LeviCelJir

damolii wrote:

I've been looking on the forum a lot, and I've noticed something. I've seen that isn't a lot of talk about music. I'm assuming you guys either port it or use the ones given on the software. Well, that got me thinking, and I've decided that I want to make music for your programs XD. You can tell me your program, an overview of it, and what the mood of the song should be. Then, I will try my best to get you a song as soon as possible. It will give me something to do other than proofs and special triangles , and not as time-consuming as programming. So, fire away!!! XD

Can You Port Some Terraria Music For Me? Mainly This One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68NqopG0jA

Hi I'm Levi and I like Bloopys :^)

TexMurphy

Help! How do I take a touch screen coordinates and convert them into background 8x8 coordinates. I would like to draw on the touch screen and use GFILL to place color blocks over background tiles. The color blocks will be used for collision detection or triggers in a rpg program. I will hide the colors in the background in the game. This is similar to SCI (sierra creative interpreter). Its got to be a simple modulus or division.
EDIT: Figured it out X=FLOOR(TX/8) * 8 and similar for Y. Now, I have to add the colors and scroll the graphics with the background. Set up the search for colors. And determine response due to the color number. BUT THEN, I was going to use graphics for inventory, menues, or faces of people you meet in the rpg.

Edited on by TexMurphy

TexMurphy

Pixelrobin

@ramstrong I know that the 'A' button is actually analog because of my last repair. The system can still detect button presses even when the button is "Held down".

ramstrong

TexMurphy wrote:

Help! How do I take a touch screen coordinates and convert them into background 8x8 coordinates.
EDIT: Figured it out X=FLOOR(TX/8) * 8 and similar for Y.

Depending on your usage, FLOOR() may not be necessary. Take a look at the next-to-last line on my ASCII ART Painter program. A few posts above yours.

@bluerobin2
I find that hard to believe. Are you saying I'll find a resistive pad underneath the buttons, instead of touch sensors like everywhere else? Show me a teardown N3DS picture that shows that. The one on ifixit certainly shows standard sensors. It's possible that connection may be erratic even when the buttons are pressed. Faulty soldering will do that. Analog button, indeed. I think maybe you should contact Nintendo directly, or ask one of the NL staff to help you because if indeed N3DS buttons are analog, then it's certainly big news.

Petit Computer Journal

damolii

Leviceljir wrote:

damolii wrote:

Can You Port Some Terraria Music For Me? Mainly This One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b68NqopG0jA

I really don't like porting because 1: it is a very precise process that might take awhile. 2: There are aspects of some songs that are not available on Petit Computer (the echoes, some effects), especially with your song. If I tried it, within a minute, it would sound like a jumbled mess, just because the technology is far less advanced and "rendered", for lack of a better word. 3: I'm lazy. Again, it is a process, especially when there is no written sheet music. Furthermore, you would expect the quality of the music made on PTC to match the one you have heard, which is just not possible in this case. I will look at it further and try to determine if there is something I can do, but... don't get your hopes up about this one....

ramstrong

damolii wrote:

I will look at it further and try to determine if there is something I can do, but... don't get your hopes up about this one....

So, what's wrong with just 'winging' it? Do some creative interpretation on it. Doesn't have to be good, does it? Anyway, I got my own piano program. Thing is, it doesn't save (yet). Maybe you can improve on it?

@PIANO
CLS:PNLTYPE “OFF”
CLEAR:DIM N[256]
N[67]=0*4096/12
N[99]=1*4096/12
N[68]=2*4096/12
N[100]=3*4096/12
N[69]=4*4096/12
N[70]=5*4096/12
N[102]=6*4096/12
N[71]=7*4096/12
N[103]=8*4096/12
N[65]=9*4096/12
N[97]=10*4096/12
N[66]=11*4096/12
N[72]=12*4096/12

?”CCCccDDddEEEFFFffGGggAAaaBBbbHHH”;
?”CCCCDDDDEEEEFFFFGGGGAAAABBBBHHHH”;
REM X=CHR$(151)=CHR$(255)
PNLSTR 0,0,”XXX OO XXXOOO XX OO XX OOO”
PNLSTR 0,0,”XXXXOOOOXXXXOOOOXXXXOOOOXXXXOOOO”

@MAIN
VSYNC 1:BT=BTRIG()
TX=TCHX:TY=TCHY:TT=TCHTIME
IF TT==1 THEN A=CHKCHR(TX/8,TY/8) ELSE A=0
IF A!=0 THEN BEEP W,N[A]
IF BT AND 1 THEN W=W+1
IF BT AND 2 THEN W=W-1
IF BT AND 4 THEN D=D-1
IF BT AND 8 THEN D=D+1
IF BT AND 16 THEN RESTORE @MUSIC:GOTO @AUTOPLAY
W=(W+70)%70
D=(D+60)%60
PNLSTR 0,15,”BEEP: “+STR$(W)+” “
PNLSTR 0,16,”DELAY: “+STR$(D)+” “
GOTO @MAIN

@AUTOPLAY
READ NT$,WT,XT$
IF XT$==”END” GOTO @MAIN
BEEP W,N[ASC(NT$)]
PNLSTR 0,17,” “*32
PNLSTR 0,17,XT$
VSYNC DELAY*WT
GOTO @AUTOPLAY

@MUSIC
DATA “G”,3,”HERE it comes the bow and jolly”
DATA “F”,1,”here IT comes the bow and jolly”
DATA “E”,4,”here it COMES the bow and jolly”
DATA “D”,2,”here it comes THE bow and jolly”
DATA “C”,2,”here it comes the BOW and jolly”
DATA “D”,2,”here it comes the bow AND jolly”
DATA “E”,2,”here it comes the bow and JOLly”
DATA “C”,4,”here it comes the bow and jolLY”

DATA “E”,2,”FA la la la la la la la la”
DATA “F”,2,”fa LA la la la la la la la”
DATA “G”,2,”fa la LA la la la la la la”
DATA “F”,2,”fa la la LA la la la la la”
DATA “G”,4,”fa la la la LA la la la la”
DATA “F”,2,”fa la la la la LA la la la”
DATA “E”,2,”fa la la la la la LA la la”
DATA “D”,2,”fa la la la la la la LA la”
DATA “E”,4,”fa la la la la la la la LA”

DATA “A”,2,”FA la la la la la la la la”
DATA “A”,2,”fa LA la la la la la la la”
DATA “A”,2,”fa la LA la la la la la la”
DATA “A”,2,”fa la la LA la la la la la”
DATA “C”,4,”fa la la la la la la la LA”

DATA “P”,4,”END”

Petit Computer Journal

damolii

ramstrong wrote:

damolii wrote:

I will look at it further and try to determine if there is something I can do, but... don't get your hopes up about this one....

So, what's wrong with just 'winging' it? Do some creative interpretation on it. Doesn't have to be good, does it? Anyway, I got my own piano program. Thing is, it doesn't save (yet). Maybe you can improve on it?

@PIANO
CLS:PNLTYPE “OFF”
CLEAR:DIM N[256]
N[67]=0*4096/12
N[99]=1*4096/12
N[68]=2*4096/12
N[100]=3*4096/12
N[69]=4*4096/12
N[70]=5*4096/12
N[102]=6*4096/12
N[71]=7*4096/12
N[103]=8*4096/12
N[65]=9*4096/12
N[97]=10*4096/12
N[66]=11*4096/12
N[72]=12*4096/12

REM X=CHR$(151)=CHR$(255)

@MAIN
VSYNC 1:BT=BTRIG()
TX=TCHX:TY=TCHY:TT=TCHTIME
IF TT==1 THEN A=CHKCHR(TX/8,TY/8) ELSE A=0
IF A!=0 THEN BEEP W,N[A]
IF BT AND 1 THEN W=W+1
IF BT AND 2 THEN W=W-1
IF BT AND 4 THEN D=D-1
IF BT AND 8 THEN D=D+1
IF BT AND 16 THEN RESTORE @MUSIC:GOTO @AUTOPLAY
W=(W+70)%70
D=(D+60)%60
PNLSTR 0,15,”BEEP: “+STR$(W)+” “
PNLSTR 0,16,”DELAY: “+STR$(D)+” “
GOTO @MAIN

@AUTOPLAY
READ NT$,WT,XT$
IF XT$==”END” GOTO @MAIN
BEEP W,N[ASC(NT$)]
PNLSTR 0,17,” “*32
PNLSTR 0,17,XT$
VSYNC DELAY*WT
GOTO @AUTOPLAY

@MUSIC

DATA “E”,2,”FA la la la la la la la la”
DATA “F”,2,”fa LA la la la la la la la”
DATA “G”,2,”fa la LA la la la la la la”
DATA “F”,2,”fa la la LA la la la la la”
DATA “E”,4,”fa la la la la la la la LA”

DATA “A”,2,”FA la la la la la la la la”
DATA “A”,2,”fa LA la la la la la la la”
DATA “A”,2,”fa la LA la la la la la la”
DATA “A”,2,”fa la la LA la la la la la”
DATA “C”,4,”fa la la la la la la la LA”

DATA “P”,4,”END”

I would like it to sound good..... but you have a point (as always). Anyways, as for your piano program, I do not quite make music as you do. You save and restore different variables (The Programmy way as I call it), while I use notes like this :
A$=":1@71G8B8D8F8A8C8E8G8"
One thing that puzzles me is that there is no BGMPLAY in sight (I'm used to that). I am then assuming that you are using the BEEP as your "musical instrument". Overall, I do not see anything wrong with this, but that is mostly because I have not really understood with certainty, DATA. I know how to use it to draw a room (barely), but other than that.. . I tried to avoid it when I programmed... anything.. Everything I understand looks good

Edited on by damolii

randomous

Well, I was going to post a long and tedious rant about the human psyche in regards to Petit Computer, but I realized that it was stupid and pointless, not to mention no one cares (especially when it's a rant). So instead, I'll pose the question I was originally going to ask: Why do you use Petit Computer? Do you do it to... get recognition? Learn a new skill? Feel the satisfaction of creativity? See the fruits of your labor? Make things nobody's made before? Or maybe you're using it as a stepping stone for future (profitable) endeavors? Do you just like solving problems? Do you like the sense of freedom and control over a virtual environment, much in the same way an artist enjoys their control and freedom with an empty canvas (or a fancy way of saying "satisfaction of creativity" again)? Or is it just something that's hard to explain, but makes you inexplicably happy?

As a second question, do you think you'd still be happy making programs if you kept them all to yourself? Is the feedback (which you hope to be positive) just a part of why you program, or is it the driving force?

randomous

damolii

randomous wrote:

Well, I was going to post a long and tedious rant about the human psyche in regards to Petit Computer, but I realized that it was stupid and pointless, not to mention no one cares (especially when it's a rant). So instead, I'll pose the question I was originally going to ask: Why do you use Petit Computer? Do you do it to... get recognition? Learn a new skill? Feel the satisfaction of creativity? See the fruits of your labor? Make things nobody's made before? Or maybe you're using it as a stepping stone for future (profitable) endeavors? Do you just like solving problems? Do you like the sense of freedom and control over a virtual environment, much in the same way an artist enjoys their control and freedom with an empty canvas (or a fancy way of saying "satisfaction of creativity" again)? Or is it just something that's hard to explain, but makes you inexplicably happy?

As a second question, do you think you'd still be happy making programs if you kept them all to yourself? Is the feedback (which you hope to be positive) just a part of why you program, or is it the driving force?

I want to program because, quite frankly, nothing else interests me. Not to say that other endeavors are born and easy, but with programming, my brain has to actually work in order to reach a solution. As for the feedback, I believe it is needed anyway, no matter if you would like to keep it to yourself or not. Feedback is needed in order to improve. Withholding your program decreases your chance to spot a mistake. Likewise, doing it because of the feedback will most likely create repetitions, as you are looking for what other people like, instead of looking for that inspiration. Overall, I believe some of both is good to keep in mind.

P.S: not to say it wasn't needed, but this was kind of a rant with psychology (and a bit of sociology)

Edited on by damolii

InsertPi

I program for the problem solving, and that awesome feeling you get after you've succeeded. I program a lot in the simpler languages (SmileBASIC) because it's fun to make it do incredible stuff.

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

Pixelrobin

I use PTC because I like programming. And programming a DS sounded cool. I bought my 3DS mainly to use PTC on it.

VincentFaraday

@randomous One of the reasons I use Petit Computer is because it's a simple language to use when compared to C++ (which I'm still trying to figure out how to do a "Hello World"). Also, programing lets me use knowledge I have accumulated through math and physics classes, music lessons, and from many hours of playing video games. I like create stuff that I find interesting, but not beyond my non-programming background (I didn't start programming until PTC). I used to sell my stained glass work on etsy, and I found it hard to express myself creatively and make enough money to buy more supplies. With PTC I don't have to keep buying supplies. I can create what ever I want as long as I have a plugin nearby to charge my 3ds.
On a more humorous note, my room has been turned into a stained glass studio, and I have been living in the adjacent room.......a 3ds takes up a lot smaller space than stained glass supplies and tools.

Edited on by VincentFaraday

I wish I was on the Enterprise.

3DS Friend Code: 1048-8460-1195

InsertPi

@VincentFaraday for C++ (sorry for off topic)

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
void main(){
cout<<"Hello, world!";
cin.get();
}

To make up for off topicness, there's a contest going on at the PTC Wikia, where we make a Christmas-y program. I'm gonna make an interpreter (as you can tell, I like making them), called EggnogBasic (credit to @Hansausage for awesome name). Here are some basic commands:

THIRSTY - introduce the program
SING"text"; - print text on screen
WISHFOR variable - input text
IFNICE condition THEN stuff IFNAUGHTY stuff - if then else statement
SPILL - equivalent of END IF in Visual Basic
FULL - declare end of program

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

Discostew

@randomous I use it to see what I can do with it and all its restrictions, kinda like those 64K assembly demos flying around. Megaman 2 would have been much simpler to make in C/C++ on the PC(or even DS via homebrew) because I would have had a lot more CPU cycles, RAM space, and faster access to game assets.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

ramstrong

@randomous

I use PTC because it's fun, affordable, and convenient.

Mainly because it's fun. I have done much with it. Music, Graphic, CYOA, sprite games, board games. I've also done some computer science topics such as virtual keyboard, multi-threading, algorithms, AI. I've seen much more capability that I want to explore such as animation, graph theory, virtual machine, debugger, etc.

It's very convenient and fun to doodle with. I've written computer programs when I was waiting for something. The nearest solution is my smartphone, and it's not as convenient as PTC due to single screen vs double screen. Sometimes, I even do it on my bed, when I'm supposed to be sleeping. I have yet to do it with other devices.

It's affordable. The next affordable solution is Raspberry Pi, and although Raspberry Pi has better development tools, it's not convenient. It's also not cheap when you factor in the need to purchase a monitor. In fact, I didn't have a TV before I got Raspberry Pi. Now I do.

In short, besides PTC, what other fun, affordable development platform that you can have in the palm of your hand? None that I can think of.

@VincentFaraday
Yes. As a simpleton, I like simple. Processing is the nearest simplest computer programming language. I like that, too.

@IAmAPersson
Does my autoplay piano program qualify?

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal

randomous

@damolii Huh, so you program for the challenge. It's hard for me to relate, because although I enjoy a challenge, I also like taking it slow and easy. I don't mind working through a problem if it's hard, but I hate it when it's too difficult. I also don't want things handed to me; I like figuring stuff out on my own if I can. I guess I'm just picky lol.

@JLMan So you love to learn about programming? Learning is one of those things that's really subjective; you could learn about your favorite subject forever (if you like learning), but switch to one you don't enjoy, and it's just a chore. Cool, so we have challenges and learning...

@IAmAPersson I'm right there with you; I love the problem solving part. Seeing a problem through to a solution... and then using the solution (in the form of a game or something) is awesome.

@VincentFaraday Wow, stained glass? That's awesome! So you enjoy the application of things you've learned in other areas and the expression of creativity it allows... cool!

@Discostew Lol I knew you liked using it to push it to its limits and find out every little detail. Kind of in the same thread, I know that programming in C++ or XNA (which is awesome) is infinitely easier, but I like working with with tiny system. I guess maybe it's because I don't need to contend with a million other games and concepts in order to make something fun... it's just fun because it's a toy and I made something I wanted to make. I feel like if I programmed in a real language for a real platform, I wouldn't be able to share the programs I made, because "it's all been done before". But here, it's just a hobby, and we're just having fun.

@ramstrong So you enjoy the convenience of programming in Petit Computer. Cool, I totally see that. I guess that's kind of the same thing I just described above; it's just for fun, and it's easy/convenient.

Thanks for all the replies; I just wanted to get a better understanding of the community. Obviously I can't judge the whole based on such a small portion, but it's nice to know all the same. It looks like we're really diverse, which is awesome. If we were all doing the same thing, it'd be so boring. In fact... we all basically said something different.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

damolii

IAmAPersson wrote:

@VincentFaraday for C++ (sorry for off topic)

To make up for off topicness, there's a contest going on at the PTC Wikia, where we make a Christmas-y program.

This could be interesting.......

P.S: @randomous, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you just profiled us O.o

Edited on by damolii

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic