Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 621 to 640 of 782

SirSmugleaf

Spanish_Bread wrote:

Hello there, i'm new to the DS scene, but I have 3DS since last year... i don't know much from DS library as i'm more familiar with PSP library... may i just ask some help/recommendation/suggestions for some great DS games (with my preferences on types of game)... i might look up for it in some online shop and buy it as "pre-owned" to save me some money...

my preferences on types of games:

*pick-up-and-play, something that can become frantic for long plays like tetris but i already have tetris axis in 3DS... something that is arcadey type with few highscore records... i'm thinking of something that is warioware, i have the ambassador game GBA wario minigames and i love it, are there similar titles like this in DS???

*challenging, as in really challenging platforming games... something like rockman series... as hard as Fractured Soul (eshop)... i'm already thinking of contra 4 (is it great?), which also has 2 old games (nes contra & snes contra correct me if i'm wrong) integrated into the cartridge (i read from a review)... any similar to this kind of games or better than these games??? by the way, i already have NSMB 1, and it's fun to play even just those minigames, but not the challenging difficulty that i'm looking for...

*challenging rhythm games with full music track... much like Theaterhythm (3DS) over Rhythm Thief (3DS)... i think i like the Taiko no Tatsujin 3DS, i've seen some gameplay in youtube and it's pretty challenging but its only in japan, were there any taiko drums series in DS before? is it good? or any better similar type of game?

*and i don't prefer rpg games or strategy turn-based game or something that has heavy storyline... i can tell you why but i think it's not necessary... , if you know some DS games that have a good replayability... a lot of game modes, smart and challenging AIs, something that even if finishing the campaign/story mode, there are still lot of things to do....i;m actually eyeing for metroid prime hunters, i enjoyed kid icarus 3DS so much, so i'm thinking if i may also enjoy playing the metroid prime hunters....

*i also don't like puzzle games, tetris was just an exception...

sorry for wall of text, but i wish that you can help me, thanks!

Pick-up-and-play: I recommend Warioware: Touched!
Challenging: I can't think of any "challenging" DS games I have played, but Mutant Mudds and VVVVVV should give you that fix on the 3DS eshop.
rhythm game: Can't do any better than Rhythm Heaven!
Other: (even though you don't like turn-based rpgs) Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story is fantastic! It has really fun gameplay, lol humour and a completely ridiculous story that you will laugh at too!

Well that's what I urge you to get, so I hope this helps!

Currently playing: Rhythm Heaven, Minecraft (XBLA), Pokemon B/W 2, Halo 4, The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave, Fallblox, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)

Will be playing soon: Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Cave Story +, Wii U: NSMBU, Nintendo Land, (And lots more!)

c1pher_c0mplet

PoshSnivy wrote:

Other: (even though you don't like turn-based rpgs) Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story is fantastic! It has really fun gameplay, lol humour and a completely ridiculous story that you will laugh at too!

^^^ Wholeheartedly agree with this. Even if you're not into RPGs, the Mario & Luigi series has a way of "hiding" the hardcore RPG elements behind a wall of sheer fun and funniness, too. It's not a super stat-heavy game like your typical RPG. Mario & Luigi and Pokemon go hand in hand. I'd be quite shocked if you tried and didn't like either series.

Nintendo Network ID: NESb1t.CARTer
Currently Playing: Pokémon Sun

Crazybrain1

Rhythm Heaven is must!
Also, Warioware DIY is good if you want to make your own microgames.

Do you truly look at things positively? For example, do you look at the glass like it's always full? (Half water, half air.) Or when someone "lets the cat out of the bag," do you think it's because the person felt sorry for the cat stuck in the bag? There is a positive side to almost everythin...

Jaz007

Assassin's Creed II Discovery is great DS game, highly reccomended. Perfect balance of stealth and combat, and enough stealth kill and counter animations to keep things from getting stale.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

WaluigiBag

I highly recommend Kirby: Squeak Squad! Dec. 4 is the sixth anniversary of its North American release. I purchased it then, and I love it! I have wonderful memories playing it. It is very fun, and the music is wonderful.

WaluigiBag

Nintendo Network ID: WaluigiBag

WaluigiBag

I have not played the original Golden Sun games. I am interested in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

WaluigiBag

Nintendo Network ID: WaluigiBag

Tasuki

Ok with the release of Super C on the VC it got me thinking I need some more handheld run and gun action. So I was wondering how does Contra 4 compare to the original or Super C. Is it alot different like some of the previous Contra games?

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ilovegaming

WaluigiBag wrote:

I have not played the original Golden Sun games. I am interested in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

It's a pretty good game so I'd recommend you get it( I also believe you can find it for pretty cheap- I bought it for 12 euros). However, consider also getting your hands on the originals for the GBA if you can, especially if you like RPGs.

FC: 1504-5926-3130
Expanding my Friend Safari! :D
In game name: Maiden
Safari type- Fire: Braixen, Charmeleon, Ponyta

CanisWolfred

Tasuki wrote:

Ok with the release of Super C on the VC it got me thinking I need some more handheld run and gun action. So I was wondering how does Contra 4 compare to the original or Super C. Is it alot different like some of the previous Contra games?

It's a love-letter to the originals, taking what made them good, ramping them up, and adding new features to capitalize on the dual screens. It's not perfect - it's insanely difficult, moreso than the first two in my opinion, even easy will test your patience. This is made worse by the lack of a save feature, which was the main reason I had to sell my copy - I got really far, but I could not turn the game off while playing it, and it's too stressful for me to do all in one sitting. You can leave it on sleep mode, but sometimes when I do that, I kinda just forget it's on.

It's still a fantastic game, though. If they offered saves for at least the lower difficulties, I think it would've been one of the best on the DS. I really outta rebuy it someday...Actually, it's pretty cheap on Amazon right now...only $16.67 w/ Super Saver.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ThePirateCaptain

So I can't decide between getting The World Ends With You or Dragon Quest 4: Chapters of the Chosen. If anyone could give me a recommendation it would be appreciated.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

KarrotMan

Want a Traditional RPG, Go with Dragon Quest. Want a stylized action heavy RPG that uses both screens for battle, get TWEWY. Personally, I enjoyed Dragon Quest IV better since I adore the series' simple charm and the spritework and 3D mesh oh so beautifully. But if I were to get one DQ game it would have to be either DQ 5 or 9, with the former being the best of the DQ Zenith trilogy remakes and the latter having a large amount of content.

Oh look, a number that compliments me well :3

Edited on by KarrotMan

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Tweetter
Devian tArt
Mumblr Page
[em][url=http://backloggery.com/kara...

DoctorJonAngus

CapnPancakes wrote:

So I can't decide between getting The World Ends With You or Dragon Quest 4: Chapters of the Chosen. If anyone could give me a recommendation it would be appreciated.

Oh man, that is a hard decision! Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen was my first exposure to Dragon Quest and I absolutely loved every second of it. For the uninitiated, it is quite awesome for getting into Dragon Quest. It is one of my all time favorite DS games. On the other hand, The World Ends With You also happens to be one of my favorite DS games. TWEWY has a ton of content, great music, story, art style and the combat system is so much fun that you never get bored. Collecting all of the combat pins is a lot of fun, as well. As for DQIV, the story, music and graphics are a lot of fun, but once you beat it, it is hard to go back to. There is very little to do post game, but that should not dissuade you from purchasing it. Honestly, it was one of the most enthralling RPG experiences I have ever had. I played it nonstop when I first purchased it and beat it in a little under a week. Really, it is a matter of what you are in the mood for at the moment. DQIV is the more standard RPG with a timeless story, like a good book, whereas TWEWY breaks typical RPG conventions (you control characters on both screens) and has a narrative more like a good anime or manga. Hopefully this helps! Either way, you are purchasing a really good game!

Edit: I second what @Onikato said, DQV is really good as well. That story... Also, recruiting monsters is a ton of fun.

Edited on by DoctorJonAngus

DoctorJonAngus

Gamesake

Haven't played through DQ IV, but that didn't stop me from enjoying V and VI. Great games. I'd rent before buying The World Ends With You. I didn't like the characters, the dialog, or the combat.

...in my pants.

Gamesake

Solatorobo is kind of boring. It looks great for a 3d DS game, but the combat is very shallow and the characters and story were all pretty standard stuff for the most part. I did like the Tetris style upgrade system and everyone looks like a popple--so that's something. To me it was all flash and no substance. I know some people who would love a game like this though. It's very colorful and you can coast through it without much of any challenge. It might also make a good starter RPG. Rent it first.

Edited on by Gamesake

...in my pants.

ThePirateCaptain

CrimsonFire13 wrote:

How is Solatorobo: Red the Hunter ??

It's fantastic! Everything about it very charming and the characters are loveable. Plus you can get it for $20 at GameStop with a soundtrack.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Supermarioman

Anybody know anything about The Dark Spire. I've been looking at the game for a while now and it seems intriguing to me at least. I've had a renewed interest in the DS recently so it seems appropriate for me to look into it.

Supermarioman

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic