Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros 3DS discussion thread

Posts 4,701 to 4,720 of 5,084

Yoshi

Morpheel wrote:

Playing in an omega stage does not turn off the items in the final game.

Oh, I never tried that. I just assumed it was the same like the demo. More diligence is necessary!

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

May_Nyan

Morpheel wrote:

Even if it did, the match was on Non-Omega Rainbow Road

May_Nyan

May_Nyan

I find it intensely bothersome when Alph and the Koopalings are in All Star mode because the timeline is wrong for them!

May_Nyan

UGXwolf

I'm so close to completion, I can' practically taste it. owo 672 trophies and only one more of them is coming from All-Star Mode. Plus only six more challenges to complete. (Too bad two of them are 1000 KOs in Smash and 50 collective hours, but once my school buddies get this game, I think we can speed those two up quite a bit.)

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

May_Nyan

I've managed to streetpass quite a lot of smash players and only one of them had enabled streetsmash... it's really ridiculous.

May_Nyan

DreamyViridi

In hindsight, I'm actually fairly close to completing all of the challenges myself. It'll take a while but I've already planned what I'll use hammers on if I run out of patience. I like to play online a fair bit so the collective hours challenge shouldn't be too bad.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

FriedSquid

A tip (if you have the patience!) I used for those "Get x amount of KOs in Smash" Challenges:

First do the math of how many KOs you need minus how many you have, so you don't waste time. Set the mode to 99-Life Stock, and leave all items off except Home Run Bat. Pick your favorite character and a punching bag CPU at Lv. 1 (I went against one CPU but three CPUs would be faster if you can line up your swings). Pick an Omega stage so as to avoid any stage hazards, and just keep whacking the CPU until you get the right number!

Long, but simple!

Edited on by FriedSquid

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Cheesehead302

Do any of you guys have any kind of tips to get better? I'm not new to the series but skill has only just increased like a month ago and it's pretty much stayed the same so far and on bad days it stoops lower. Any tips? Some of my best characters are Wario, Dark Pit, Little Mac, King Dedede, and Shulk.

Edited on by Cheesehead302

Cheesehead302

CapeSmash

Untitled

This should be added in the next update. It seems pretty handy.

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

randomous

@Cheesehead302 Are you fighting against real people or computers? Or would you just like general tips?

Whether or not you're fighting against real people or not, one of the best things you can do is get to know your character. This might be hard if you're using lots of people, but it's really important. You should try to get a really good feel for:

• How long a move takes to hit
  • How far a move travels
  • Where a move hits
  • How long it takes for you to "recover" from the move
  • How fast your character travels on the ground
  • How fast your character travels in the air
  • How high your character jumps
  • How far your character rolls

And many, many other things. If you're not up to getting good with a single character, there are some tips which might help for any character (you may already know most of these):

• You do small hops by quickly pressing the jump button. A "short hop" is really useful if your character has good aerial attacks.
  • You can fall faster (fast falling) by pressing down while in the air. If you combine this with aerial attacks, it gives the opponent less time to react to your move.
  • You can get out of a lot of multi-hitting moves by moving the control stick away from the hits. For instance, Bowser Jr's forward smash are those multi-hitting drills. You can hold away from the drills (or even try holding up) to get away from the last hit, which hurts the most.
  • You don't always want to use the same attack, even if it's really strong and works most of the time. If the opponent expects a move, it's much easier for them to come up with a counter (or even worse, just use a built-in counter like Ike, Marth, Lucina, etc. have). Try to find a couple moves that work in various situations and change it up once in a while.
  • You can grab an opponent while shielding by pressing the "A" button while you're shielding (R). This is really useful if a character has come up close for an attack, as you can shield the hit, then simply press A to grab without lowering your shield (this doesn't work in all situations).
  • People make mistakes while grabbing you, and computers won't always immediately throw you; if you find you've been caught in a grab, twirl the control stick as fast as you can and press as many buttons as possible and you might be able to break free of it.
  • If you've been hit by a move and you're about to hit the ground or a platform, you can press the shield button (R) just before hitting the ground to "tech" the ground. This means that instead of bouncing around without being able to do anything, you'll immediately stand back up and be able to perform an action.
  • The reason attacks are so varied (smashes, tilts, etc.) is because they're all useful for different situations (well, most moves anyway). When the person you're fighting is at a low damage, you want to use quick attacks (like tilts, aerials, etc.) instead of slow attacks like smashes to get their damage up. Don't worry about getting them off the screen until they're around 150% (unless you're a hard hitting character or they're a light one). Once you've gotten enough hits in by using quick, weak attacks, now you can start going for the strong attacks. You don't want to just throw out smashes all the time though, you want to either "trick" the opponent into getting hit, or put them in a situation where getting hit is inevitable. The latter has to deal with knowing your character though, so there's that.

There's a whole bunch of stuff you can do to get better, but I don't really know your skill level yet. There's a lot of advanced stuff too... especially if you're fighting real people and not computers.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Dynadan

@SockoMario Yeah! Then everyone can beat up on the one causing the lag! JK

Life, the Universe, and Everything

3DS Friend Code: 4957-2813-6791 | Nintendo Network ID: shooter009

Cheesehead302

randomous wrote:

@Cheesehead302 Are you fighting against real people or computers? Or would you just like general tips?

Whether or not you're fighting against real people or not, one of the best things you can do is get to know your character. This might be hard if you're using lots of people, but it's really important. You should try to get a really good feel for:

• How long a move takes to hit
  • How far a move travels
  • Where a move hits
  • How long it takes for you to "recover" from the move
  • How fast your character travels on the ground
  • How fast your character travels in the air
  • How high your character jumps
  • How far your character rolls

And many, many other things. If you're not up to getting good with a single character, there are some tips which might help for any character (you may already know most of these):

• You do small hops by quickly pressing the jump button. A "short hop" is really useful if your character has good aerial attacks.
  • You can fall faster (fast falling) by pressing down while in the air. If you combine this with aerial attacks, it gives the opponent less time to react to your move.
  • You can get out of a lot of multi-hitting moves by moving the control stick away from the hits. For instance, Bowser Jr's forward smash are those multi-hitting drills. You can hold away from the drills (or even try holding up) to get away from the last hit, which hurts the most.
  • You don't always want to use the same attack, even if it's really strong and works most of the time. If the opponent expects a move, it's much easier for them to come up with a counter (or even worse, just use a built-in counter like Ike, Marth, Lucina, etc. have). Try to find a couple moves that work in various situations and change it up once in a while.
  • You can grab an opponent while shielding by pressing the "A" button while you're shielding (R). This is really useful if a character has come up close for an attack, as you can shield the hit, then simply press A to grab without lowering your shield (this doesn't work in all situations).
  • People make mistakes while grabbing you, and computers won't always immediately throw you; if you find you've been caught in a grab, twirl the control stick as fast as you can and press as many buttons as possible and you might be able to break free of it.
  • If you've been hit by a move and you're about to hit the ground or a platform, you can press the shield button (R) just before hitting the ground to "tech" the ground. This means that instead of bouncing around without being able to do anything, you'll immediately stand back up and be able to perform an action.
  • The reason attacks are so varied (smashes, tilts, etc.) is because they're all useful for different situations (well, most moves anyway). When the person you're fighting is at a low damage, you want to use quick attacks (like tilts, aerials, etc.) instead of slow attacks like smashes to get their damage up. Don't worry about getting them off the screen until they're around 150% (unless you're a hard hitting character or they're a light one). Once you've gotten enough hits in by using quick, weak attacks, now you can start going for the strong attacks. You don't want to just throw out smashes all the time though, you want to either "trick" the opponent into getting hit, or put them in a situation where getting hit is inevitable. The latter has to deal with knowing your character though, so there's that.

There's a whole bunch of stuff you can do to get better, but I don't really know your skill level yet. There's a lot of advanced stuff too... especially if you're fighting real people and not computers.

Hey, thank you, I'll take that stuff into consideration!

Cheesehead302

Araquanid

Danny429 wrote:

@SockoMario Yeah! Then everyone can beat up on the one causing the lag! JK

We save that for the idlers.

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

JunkosBoobies

So, what's everyone's highest Home Run Contest record? Mine is 1887.1 ft. Yeah, haven't really been playing much of Home Run Contest. D:

Also, any tips for a player who wants to get better at using Marth?

Discord: JunkosBoobies#5379
Backloggery
MAL
DeviantArt
Avatar: Junko Enoshima (Danganronpa)

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing | Twitter:

randomous

@PKNoUsernameHere Marth is all about spacing, which is a combination of being being just out of range of other people's attacks while being just in range for your own attacks. We'll focus on the second one.

Marth's attacks are strongest at the tip. In fact, they're SUPER strong here. You'll want to get a good feel for where the edge of the hitbox is for each attack, and make sure you "space" yourself so that you'll hit opponents with only the tip. You could spend all day getting hits at different ranges, but you'll get the most benefit from the tips. Here's a good example: a forward tilt will do only 9 damage at close range, but a tipper will do 12 damage and send them much farther. That's a good 33% increase; imagine if all your hits were tippers! Tippers won't only make your attacks stronger, it'll make it harder for other people to get in for an attack. Marth's attacks outrange many other's (meaning they extend farther), so if you space yourself just right, you'll be able to hit people without them being able to get withing range, as your sword is longer than their arms, legs etc.

Marth's side B can change depending on what you press while using it. Remember, the side B combo is where you use side B at certain intervals to continue the slashes. Usually it's just a bunch of standard slashes if you continue to bress B and the direction you're facing, however once you start the side B combo, you can start using up B and down B to change the slashes during the combo. Marth will continue his slash combo 4 times, where the last hit is a particularly special one. So, what you can do is start with a side B, then use up B if you want, then another side B maybe, and then down B. If you do it right, these won't activate your normal up B and down B moves, but will instead do different slashes during the combo. If you do down B as the fourth hit in the combo, you'll do a flurry of slashes. If you do up B as the forth hit, you'll do a powerful upward slice.

Marth's up B has a "sweet spot" where it hits much harder than the rest of the attack. Right at the start of the attack, you'll notice a little sparkle in front of Marth before he swings up. If you hit someone with this sparkle, it will be a much more powerful hit. Speaking of his up B, you can "reverse" the up B attack. Usually you go in the direction you're facing, but this isn't always a good thing. Instead, what you can do is perform the up B, then IMMEDIATELY press the other direction. You'll go the new direction instead of the direction you were facing. This is extremely useful when using it in the air, as you can't usually change direction while in the air. If you're falling backwards towards the stage, an up B will usually send you farther away, but if you do a reversal, you'll change directions.

If you're hit off stage, do NOT immediately use your jumps! Instead, try to get as close to the stage first, then use your jump then up B to try to recover. Because Marth's recovery isn't all that great, you want to utilize your off-stage jumps the best you can.

If you've hit an opponent off-stage, they'll try to recover high, low, or in between. Depending on the opponent's recovery options, you can try to keep them off stage and KO them. If an opponent is coming back to the stage higher up, you can try to intercept them by jumping and using a tipper forward air, which will send them REALLY far off-stage again. Note that you can't always do this, because some characters have better recovery options. If they're trying to come in low, your options are a bit more dangerous, but could be more beneficial. You could jump off the stage and hit them with a down aerial to send them straight down. Note that this only works if you hit them at the center of the swing (so they're just below you) and only if it's a tipper (you hit them with the tip of your sword). This is a risky move and is pretty hard to pull off, so you can practice it if you want to look awesome during matches. There are other options if they're coming in low; one is to perform down tilts near the edge of the stage. This only works if they didn't aim very well towards the edge of the stage when coming in low, so don't always rely on it. Another one works if the stage has solid sides (like megaman's stage): you can jump off and hit them with a reverse up B (or just whatever up B allows you to get back on to the stage) towards the wall which is the edge of the stage. If you do it right, they'll hit the wall and be unable to perform a recovery for a bit, which has the potential to make them fall off the bottom of the screen. Again, this is a risky option, so practice it.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

UGXwolf

Since we're going in depth, here, I'm gonna talk a bit about the Pac-Attack. Pac-man's moveset seems to be pure shenanigans. His priority is all over the board and every move is extremely flexible allowing you to use it in many ways. In a sense, possibly the best way to use Pac-man is to use him in about the least obvious way possible.

Starting with his specials, Pac-man's default side-B is possibly the most flexible of all of his attacks. He can use it to go in any direction he chooses and in the air, the knockback is killer. A few useful techniques include going straight for the opponent and curving up at the end (this will loft them and you'll follow to deliver some scary knockback), Jumping into the air and curving the pellet under you so you'll go the opposite of the direction you're facing (this throws off the timing and makes it harder to effectively counter/block/dodge, but don't use it too much, or they'll catch wise to the timing), and when you're off the stage, curving up sharply to get some extra recovery range (usually great for sweet spotting the ledge, but this is a must for Pac-man recovery, as his up-B is a tad weak in comparison). Really, these are just figures I'm used to. Learn your own tricks and switch it up so they'll never be able to guess your attack pattern.

Pac-man's down-B is another troll-y move, but it's best used for keeping people from following you into the air. Say you're recovering from above the stage and they try to chase you. That fire hydrant is going to throw them for a loop and either hit them or make them avoid the proper placement to stop you. From here, you've got a new toy to figure out what to do with. The most obvious choice is to nail it with a smash attack and send it flying towards your opponent, but say you have a teammate with a reflector, if it's sent towards them, they could send it back at your enemies with increased power. Naturally, if it doesn't suit the timing to attack the hydrant, you don't have to.

Pac's standard-B is the Bonus Fruit and what it does depends on what fruit you pull out. Cherries do a few short bounces before stopping and disappearing. This is a pester move at best, but it can stop most weak projectiles, so get good with whipping it out to protect yourself, as it'll come in handy. The strawberry and fourth item do the same thing, but they move farther, faster, and do more damage. The orange flies straight out, and it has about as much knockback as you can hope for, given how easy it is to charge. It moves kinda quick, too, so if you have one in back-up, you can easily punish a bad landing with it. His fifth item, the spaceship, goes straight out, does a loop, then follows upwards at an angle. It won't stop when it hits an opponent, and the knockback is pretty nice, so feel free to use this, when you get a chance. Be sure to learn that distance, since nailing someone on the loop gives you a chance for two or even three hits. The bell is really hard to use, but it apparently delivers a powerful blow to anyone it falls on top of. Again, try to learn that distance, because it's gonna be useful to know where it'll land. Finally, if you charge it up all the way, the key is pretty fast and very strong. It can easily be a kill move at high percentages, so keep an eye out for that. Like the orange, this can be used to punish a bad landing, but as you charged it up all the way, the opponent is more likely to be aware that you have it, so choose your opportunities carefully. Also keep in mind that if you dodge, you have to HOLD B to keep charging, or Pac-man will just shoot the item out on the spot.

Pac-man's up-B presents mild shenanigans, too. Each jump will be higher, but after the third one, the fourth jump will break and you'll fall right through. This can punish newer players who aren't aware and send them tumbling to their doom, but don't count on it taking out veterans. It can get some nice height, but it's best used under the stage, as you're completely useless while falling and the hitbox for attacking isn't very big and doesn't stick around long.

Pac-man's ground attacks are fairly slow, but pretty strong. The standard close-ranged, strong-and-slow fighter, really. These all make good kill moves, and the range can be a bit deceptive, though nothing on the level of Wolf's side-smash in Brawl. (Actually, delegate that to Pac's side-special and you've got a match. XD) His air attacks are decent, but they won't do much against someone who's at home in the air. Pac-man isn't a ground character, but if you have to get up close and personal, it's better to do so on the ground. His dash attack has good priority and range. You'll land this more often than not, so don't be too shy.

As for Pac's grabs? Don't really bother. The range doesn't counteract how painfully slow the move is. Even if you do grab someone, from what I've seen, his throws aren't all that great, either. If you do manage to grab someone near a ledge, you can throw them out over it and do your side-B to counter their recovery (assuming they try to recover over you), but even that will only work so many times.

As a final note, do be careful where you're aiming at the end of Pac-man's side-B. misfires with this lead to self-destructs that are only second to Little Mac's in lulziness. Even if you hit on top of the stage, if you're near a ledge, you may bounce over it and find yourself too low to recover before you get a chance. NEVER EVER FACE THE WALL ON THE SIDE OF THE STAGE. YOU WON'T SURVIVE.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

May_Nyan

May_Nyan wrote:

Morpheel wrote:

Even if it did, the match was on Non-Omega Rainbow Road

I found out that the actual reason there were no items is because I turned them off for one match and the game remembers that setting if you don't manually turn them back on.
Yet it can't remember that I prefer stock to time matches...

Edited on by May_Nyan

May_Nyan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.