Forums

Topic: Pokémon Sun & Moon - Discussion & Speculation

Posts 2,521 to 2,540 of 3,958

Octane

@Haru17 It's the new Alolan method; put some hair on it and call it a day.

Octane

Octane

@Tsurii Now you have to track down a specific Pokemon to do the job, great!

Octane

Octane

@Tsurii

But they still take up a spot in your party, right? That means that now you're limited to a certain number of Pokemon. Can Staryu still use Surf? Can you ride it? Or are you forced to use a Lapras or Sharpedo? That's the main issue I think. Now instead your option are even more limited if I understand the new HM system. So, HM slaves are still very much a thing, except that they don't take up a move slot anymore, but each Pokemon is now limited to one ability. I cannot imagine that you can ride a Lapras on land to move boulders for example. Now you need one specific Pokemon for every obstacle.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Octane

@Tsurii

Weird, that makes them completely useless then. Just get rid of the mechanic altogether I'd say. It's not as if HMs were a huge issue anyway.

Octane

Araquanid

remember those starter evolution leaks a long long time ago?

They're real and so is muchalitten....

WARNING THIS VIDEO LEAKS EVERY SINGLE POKEMON

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

Shinion

Not quite as prevalent here but elsewhere on the interwebs it's baffling to me to see how after months and months of positive reception to the numerous changes these games will have to the formula that has been so rigorously stuck to for years that now that we know all the Pokémon people are doing complete 180s when the number doesn't reach some sort of arbitrary amount. Also poignant to me at least how much people invest in the design of Pokémon and how important the cosmetics are, yet for months and months (again) criticism of cosmetic microtransaction pimping is not allowed because it is "just cosmetic".

Not gonna go into specifics but I overall love the designs and see more than enough potential to have several teams that could be used in different playthtroughs of the game(s).

Shinion

Marakuto

So far I've not seen anyone on Youtube purposely put any spoilers except for some that I've come to expect, which I won't specify.

3DS games:

Mario Kart 7

Zelda OoT 3D

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Pokemon Black FC: 2666 2484 8599

Kid Icarus Uprising

Heroes of Ruin
and more.

Crime doesn't pay, unless you are really good at it then those who are legal criminals ...

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2450-6702

Haruki_NLI

Alrighty having played all 10 minutes of the demo...I have some pre-release thoughts on Pokémon Sun and Moon.

And nope, not impressed here.

As someone who was heavily burned by XY, and its focus on multiplayer that seemed to detract from the quality of the main game, that it had bad pacing, story just started okay and died off into a jumbled mess, an uninteresting region and characters, it was just bad for me.

Sun and Moon seems to fix some of these and take others running home with it. Firstly, why in the hell, for the first time after the trainer battle starts does it have a noticeable load time beyond the fancy screen transition to do the trainer intro, and after that why is there a fairly large (By Pokémon standards) black screen to even start the battle?

In terms of mechanics it's Pokémon, whoopy-do nothing new, don't fix what isn't broken after all, but the battles, once you finally get in there, are so damn slow. HP bars drain like a crawl, and with the inclusion of Z-Moves and their elaborate animations...battles aren't going to be speedy. It's not as bad in-battle as Diamond and Pearl, but combine that with the lack of a snappy entry into battle...it feels worse.

Secondly, let's talk Frame Rate. Game Freak, I know historically you have no idea how to program something to be bug free or optimise an engine but good grief, in the Totem battle in the demo as soon as there was just 3 POKEMON on screen the frame rate dropped hard. Poke Finder does this too, and it's led to the 3D being disabled. God forbid Triple Battles but from what we've seen in trailers, Doubles aren't exactly smooth.

Alright let's talk good things. Characters are charming and actually make it feel like a world of culture, not a backdrop for generics. This is nice, and I like this. Just as Unova had the theme of multiculturalism, and people speaking different languages all over the place, here has everyone be friendly, and speak in their own oddly charming Hawaiian way. Ride Pokémon are nice, basically replacing HMs and bicycles, and the interface changes to see type-effectiveness, stat drops and buffs, and a dedicated Poke Ball button, are all welcome little touches.

Now while this is only "Concerning" to me at this point, my optimism for the game has fallen heavily. Sun and Moon, in trailers is putting a lot of emphasis on making competitive battling easy and more accessible, as well as communication features. The fact we didn't know the names of any individual locations outside of the first 2 islands names is a sign that...well...they haven't really told us a lot of substance, and while that may be good to get people to feel adventurous, it's also moot when we here in the UK get it 5 days later (Because TPCi is still salty or something) so our knowledge of the game going in will be by default increased.

And this brings me to my point. If this game really is pushing the competitive side of things, which is fine, it cannot feel like it's at the cost of the actual game again. However, nothing in trailers is indicating this is case, nor are they saying it isn't the case, which isn't a good position in for someone whose enjoyment will hinge on this aspect.

But on the plus side everyone will like this game and itll be considered good, because that's how things roll with me, youre welcome.

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

veeflames

@Tsurii Taurus has a weird running... er, walking animation, though. And I hope we don't get to talk to old guys if we want to transition into other places in the main game. That seems unlikely, right?

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Araquanid

@Tsurii

There's 73 total leaked pokemon, but there's a counted 81 total with some being blacked out/scrapped/missing. Its another small gen sadly and the location of the missing spots are more closer to the end of the dex before the legendaries.

My Shinies

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

veeflames

Lack of 3D, frame rate issues, and weird camera angles. Why am I not surprised?
Anyway, I thought the demo was good. The music sounds solid so far. I guess the demo did its job for me, even though it JUST SLIGHTLY increased my hype for the game.
And what's with the weird Team Skull grunt dance moves? First it was Team Flare's obsession with red fabulous uniforms and now this...

God first.

Haruki_NLI

@Tsurii For clarity I should say this was on a 3DS XL

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Araquanid

@meowpheel does it count as a spoiler if i make my avatar shiny lurantis? (when i find one on deviant..)

My Shinies

veeflames

@Tsurii Yeah, I played the demo on my 3DS XL. I dunno, though... Game Freak does have a history of not optimizing their games on the 3DS as well as other developers tend to do. Hopefully they polish the game more for those playing on non-New 3DS systems.

God first.

DefHalan

I knew it, Pokemon Sun & Moon is using the extra power of the New 3DS. I am glad I updated

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

veeflames

@Tsurii Eh, I should be fine (I don't really judge games based on those kind of things). Besides, I may or may not be getting a New 3DS this coming Christmas

God first.

MarcelRguez

@DefHalan The do. It's been confirmed that the actual games work just like Smash 3DS. They soft-reboot the system and make options such as Miiverse unavailable.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

DefHalan

@MarcelRguez Yeah, I was speculating that way back when, but people kept telling me they wouldn't do that for Pokemon

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Araquanid

Is it me, or does running in sun and moon feel the same speed as a bike, and just walking feels the same speed as running?

Then tauros feels like a car.

My Shinies

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.