Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 301 to 320 of 453

HolyMackerel

miketh2005 wrote:

HolyMackerel wrote:

miketh2005 wrote:

Can't bash Sony for the innovative touchpad on the back, though, right? Why didn't Nintendo think of that? Also, why wasn't there a dual analog stick in the 3DS. I'm beginning to think Nintendo isn't as innovative as they seem just because they were first releasing a product does not mean they had the idea first.

Because there was never the need for a reverse touch panel or dual analogs on a Nintendo portable. Does Nintendo need to match Sony feature-for-feature in order to be "innovative"? Last time I checked, they were "not the kind of company that thinks about how [they] oppose other company's products".

What the freak? I said why didn't Nintendo think of that, not why doesn't Nintendo COPY that... Obviously these details weren't available even a month ago, much less before 3DS was announced at E3 last year.

Hey, chill. Just pointing out that by your logic Nintendo would need to pre-empt everything Sony does or they'd be at fault for not coming up with it first and therefore would not be "innovative".

Edited on by HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel

miketh2005

What was I thinking, neither of those things would work since it has a touch screen, rofl I'm so stupid, wasn't thinking. Wow, congrats on Sony for creating something to compete with Ninty's touchscreen, though!

Pre-Order Your 3DS Now For FREE: http://gifts.freebiejeebies.co.uk/332012
(Referral Link) It WORKS, I just received a PS3 from them. Yes, it's the usual "complete an offer" stuff, but its only ONE offer.

HolyMackerel

Well the NGP has both a touch screen and the rear touch panel and it does work - in fact they can even be used at the same time for "gripping" things on-screen, a bit like holding A and B on the Wii Remote.

Nintendo does a lot of thinking about its devices before they are put to market. For an interesting peek at the thought processes behind the 3DS and its design, check out this edition of Iwata Asks.

HolyMackerel

miketh2005

HolyMackerel wrote:

Well the NGP has both a touch screen and the rear touch panel and it does work - in fact they can even be used at the same time for "gripping" things on-screen, a bit like holding A and B on the Wii Remote.

Nintendo does a lot of thinking about its devices before they are put to market. For an interesting peek at the thought processes behind the 3DS and its design, check out this edition of Iwata Asks.

What the freak, it has a touch screen? What a rip off, damn, that made me feel better thinking it didn't have a touch screen, but this sucks, wow. I'm a nintendo fan at heart, and it pains me to think that Sony is better. I mean, the online is better, the UI is better.... I just hope it doesn't have 3D (although it prob doesnt since its touchscreen and only 1 screen).

So they basically included another analog stick for the heck of it, when your not using the touch screen? It seems they did that just to get on Nintendo fans nerves

I don't care how much thinking is behind a product, a touchpad on the back is pretty innovative. Never saw that coming.

Edited on by miketh2005

(Referral Link) It WORKS, I just received a PS3 from them. Yes, it's the usual "complete an offer" stuff, but its only ONE offer.

HolyMackerel

Well that's all debatable - which you may have realised if you had read some of this thread - but whatever floats your boat, mate. It's all good either way. No pain necessary.

HolyMackerel

armoredghor

Well, I can vouch that touch screens work without cover. I have an LG VU. I don't know if this is consistent with other touch screen phones but it is really imprecise. Sony obviously wants to make something meant to be used by fingers instead of styli. I've said it before the touch pad isn't really a new option for developers, it's really just another form of a touch screen. Not a game changer but it is a game enhancer.
@Waltzelf As you mentioned, Nintendo didn't invent the wheel(glasses free 3D, motion gaming, and touchscreens) but they did bring them to gaming.

armoredghor

Phobos

WaltzElf wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

I think some companies have a weird definition of "affordable"

$1000 is "affordable" for me. Sony has never intended any of its products to be affordable for a kid saving pocket money, but for people with disposable incomes, for the most part, it is.

I also think some companies have a weird definition of "portable".

Laptops and iPads are both portable. Both are bigger and laptops are heavier than the NGP.

Do you not think that Sony should consider the financial capacities of all their buyers? Even kids and teenagers?

Plus, those are laptops. Not gaming handhelds. That is, of course, expected. And the iPad isn't too much of a gaming device either. I'm referring to portable gaming devices. Not just anything portable.

My 3DS Blog | YouTube Channel
CUAF - Administrator/Chef/Logo Creator

SMEXAIZELDAMAN's Official Undercover Assassin

turtlelink

What you guys think is affordable and what Sony thinks is affordable are two different affordables.

Edited on by turtlelink

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

noblo601

Despite the fact it is likely to be expensive, I can't see it being any more than $500 aud, which is like I dunno $350US ??? (not exchange rate but equivalent pricing structure). There is no way that they would make it anywhere near the $1000 mark like the PS3 was... Just won't happen.

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

brooks83

Yes, "affordable" is relative, but if it's too high people aren't going to buy it. Despite being cutting edge at the time, the 3DO launched at $699, and guess what, very few people bought it. The Sega Saturn launched at $399 and the PS1 launched at $299 not long afterwards, I think we all know which one sold more. Sony got cocky after the success of the PS1 and PS2 and thought consumers would buy anything they produced at any price, and clearly that backfired on them. The PS3 was a laughing stock it's first couple of years on the market and sent Sony scrambling to produce a cheaper model to get the price down, cutting out the backwards compatibility of PS2 games in the process.

So WaltzElf, I'm glad you can afford a $1000 console, but if history is any indicator, you'd be in a small group of owners. If Sony prices this any more than $299 I think they are gonna be in trouble.

brooks83

Aviator

noblo601 wrote:

Despite the fact it is likely to be expensive, I can't see it being any more than $500 aud, which is like I dunno $350US ??? (not exchange rate but equivalent pricing structure). There is no way that they would make it anywhere near the $1000 mark like the PS3 was... Just won't happen.

But if its not $1000, then who will boycott it?

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

brooks83

I think Sony's goal is to sell as many NGPs as possible, not to cater to a select few ultra rich gamers who don't mind spending upwards of $500 on a handheld gaming system. Obviously they won't be giving them away for some child's "pocket change", but to succeed they need to stay in a close range to their competition's price, which in this case is $249.

brooks83

noblo601

Hahaha true, I can still remember working at Target for all the major console releases and whilst there were heaps of 360's and Wii's, the $1000 price tag on the PS3 meant there were like 2 or 3 people only that bought it. Way too expensive!

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

miketh2005

Phobos wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

I think some companies have a weird definition of "affordable"

$1000 is "affordable" for me. Sony has never intended any of its products to be affordable for a kid saving pocket money, but for people with disposable incomes, for the most part, it is.

I also think some companies have a weird definition of "portable".

Laptops and iPads are both portable. Both are bigger and laptops are heavier than the NGP.

Do you not think that Sony should consider the financial capacities of all their buyers? Even kids and teenagers?

Plus, those are laptops. Not gaming handhelds. That is, of course, expected. And the iPad isn't too much of a gaming device either. I'm referring to portable gaming devices. Not just anything portable.

Anything you can pick up and move easily is portable. Don't say iPad isn't much of a gaming device, I play on it more than my DSi XL, probably only because it's HD gaming on the go, though, so it will likely change when I get my 3DS. The PS3 was def marketed to the older generation, there is no reason it can't do that with the NGP, considering Nintendo already has the kids covered, it will focus on the older ones, make it look "cooler", and such, it's the only way to compete.

Edited on by miketh2005

zezhyrule

noblo601 wrote:

Hahaha true, I can still remember working at Target for all the major console releases and whilst there were heaps of 360's and Wii's, the $1000 price tag on the PS3 meant there were like 2 or 3 people only that bought it. Way too expensive!

Was it ever $1000?

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

default12345

Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

My opinion is that the PSP2 (NGP) is boring. It isn't innovative or interesting. Sony has yet again created another powerhouse device but forgot to add a soul and personality.

Sony did try this last time with the PSP, with Nintendo releasing a less powerful quirky handheld with a unique selling point. I think we all know what happened next.

I’m 100% behind Nintendo and the 3DS. It is the future of gaming.

Edited on by default12345

default12345

Slapshot

@brooks... Sony never "scrambled" to create a cheaper console. They predicted the sales to be lower until the technology caught up to where they could produce a cheaper model. They still today are constantly upgrading the guts of the PS3, making it more efficient and cheaper to produce. The Slim PS3 wasn't the beginning of Sony making a cheaper to build console.

$599 was the PS3 launch price, and it still sold completely out day one, and drove Ebay prices up to $2000, which in turn even caused Ebay to forbid the auction of PS3s on Ebay for a time because of the extreme demand for the console and the uber high prices the consoles were selling for.

@zez.... I think Waltz was high balling the dollar amount to prove a point. There are many gamers who are willing to pay top dollar for a portable gaming system if it's indeed got the power to back up the price. I expect it to be priced in the same range as the top dollar 64gb iPod Touch which is currently $365.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

turtlelink

warnerdan wrote:

Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

My opinion is that the PSP2 (NGP) is boring. It isn't innovative or interesting. Sony has yet again created another powerhouse device but forgot to add a soul and personality.

No soul or personality?

Edited on by turtlelink

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

Bankai

I think people here are getting too hung up on price. No, shooting to be the cheapest is not alwasys the best business model, and selling fewer units than the competition is not the end of the world. There are fewer $1 million lamborghinis sold then $20000 toyotas, but lamborghini isn't 'losing' anything. Different markets.

So kids won't be able to buy the NGP. So it sells less than the 3DS. I still expect the NGP to be a successful, premium product.

brooks83

@slapshot82 - Of course it sold out day one. There are enough people out there who would pay any price to adopt new technology that it's gonna sell out at launch. But if you think that Sony wasn't dissapointed by the sales figures over the next year and a half than you are delusional. I can tell you that I saw a PS3 on the shelf long before I ever saw a Wii on the shelf. I understand there are other factors besides price that lead to a system selling well, but I would say price is probably the biggest factor.

@WaltzElf - Well Sony lost a lot of money with the PS3 it's first couple of years. I truly believe that it's poor sales during that time period really caught them off guard. I also never said being the cheapest is the best business model, but if you want to sell your products you have a competitive price point. Say what you will, but the 3DS is in the same market as the NGP. I don't believe Sony is catering their products only to the rich. I'm sure they would prefer to have a large market share.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.