Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 281 to 300 of 453

noblo601

I have been so excited about the 3ds, but a combination of the region locking, poor battery life and the fact I expect this beast to retail at $400 in Australia has me far less eager now. I still desperately want one, but I think I will try and wait for two years and hope they release a revised edition with longer battery (I game on the go a lot).

The NPG has me really excited, especially with the game they have shown where you move the land using the rear touchpad. The screen is crisp and it already seems extremely polished. However, I am so worried about the price of this as well, I can barely afford either as I need to save for an engagement ring (I can say it in these forums without the gf finding out and going crazy lol) and as a result I am thinking of purchasing the regular PSP and getting a swag of games for it and my current DS lite over the next two years. Games like pokemon take me forever to complete anyway so I should be right,....

I hope...

Conclusion - Both look awesome but mighty pricey...

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

LzWinky

I think some companies have a weird definition of "affordable"

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

SpentAllMyTokens

@Waltz

I believe AT&T and verizon are the ones who actually are in charge of selling the iPhones. I'm not even sure if you can buy iPhones at the apple store. The only way you can buy them new in the US is with a two year contact with one of those cell providers. There is a much higher cancellation fee for iPhone plans as well. I'd guess the companies pay apple in full for the phones and then provide them at an initial loss along with the contract. This has always been a common model in the US.

As for the NGP, I can't see Sony releasing it for less than $350. I'm sure even that will be a loss given the power under the hood. I'm sure the profit margin on PSN downloads is quite good, but it will interesting to see how much retail games cost.

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

LzWinky

Phobos wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

I also think some companies have a weird definition of "portable".

To be fair, the Virtual Boy was considered a portable

Edited on by LzWinky

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

Token Girl wrote:

@Waltz

I believe AT&T and verizon are the ones who actually are in charge of selling the iPhones. I'm not even sure if you can buy iPhones at the apple store. The only way you can buy them new in the US is with a two year contact with one of those cell providers. There is a much higher cancellation fee for iPhone plans as well. I'd guess the companies pay apple in full for the phones and then provide them at an initial loss along with the contract. This has always been a common model in the US.

As for the NGP, I can't see Sony releasing it for less than $350. I'm sure even that will be a loss given the power under the hood. I'm sure the profit margin on PSN downloads is quite good, but it will interesting to see how much retail games cost.

Makes sense because the iPhone uses their services.

I dunno about "interesting" especially knowing that the games will be about the quality of a PS3 game. I predict games will be at least $50

Phobos

lz20XX wrote:

To be fair, the Virtual Boy was considered a portable.

Yeah, sure, but that's genuinely different. The NGP is definitely going to be considered a portable, even though it has a ridiculous size. What am I holding, a gaming spreadsheet?

My 3DS Blog | YouTube Channel
CUAF - Administrator/Chef/Logo Creator

SMEXAIZELDAMAN's Official Undercover Assassin

LzWinky

It is a pretty ridiculous size considering it's bigger (but thinner) than the original Game Boy and the DSi XL

Bankai

lz20XX wrote:

$1000 is "affordable" for me. Sony has never intended any of its products to be affordable for a kid saving pocket money, but for people with disposable incomes, for the most part, it is.

I also think some companies have a weird definition of "portable".

Laptops and iPads are both portable. Both are bigger and laptops are heavier than the NGP.

Edited on by Bankai

melvin2898

I like my PSP that I own. I will try to get the NGP aswell. I think it looks neat.

Souls are for the weak. I flow with the darkness on the pathway of depression.

Twitter:

TrueWiiMaster

@Waltzelf-
You must be in a pretty high percentile to call $1000 "affordable". Many people don't even spend that much on a new TV...

Laptops and ipads are in a different class than the NGP because they are for more than entertainment. Both can be used for work or entertainment. The NGP is specifically for entertainment. There's a big difference when discussing portability of something you HAVE to take with you and something you WANT to take with you. You might not mind carrying a large bag for you computer if it means you get some work done or finish your homework on time. In my opinion a portable solely for entertainment purposes should be able to fit easily and safely into a pocket or purse. The NGP is pretty big to fit into a pocket, and could really stretch a small purse. On top of size, there is also a safety problem. Unlike the DS line of products, the PSP and NGP cannot close up and safely slide anywhere. It wouldn't be ridiculous to imagine the screen getting scratched or the buttons getting caught. I never personally had a PSP, so I cannot vouch for this kind of durability. Did anyone here carry their PSP (without a case) in their pockets/purses?

I am the TrueWiiMaster! Those who call the Wii casual BEWARE!

Nintendo Network ID: WiiMaster

noblo601

@TrueWii master - regardless of the handheld I think most people have a carrycase of some sort to protect from scratches and other wear and tear...

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

Bankai

[quote]@Waltzelf-
You must be in a pretty high percentile to call $1000 "affordable". Many people don't even spend that much on a new TV...
[quote]

That was my point. Affordable is relative. Sony's NGP is therefore affordable by its standards of electronics (remember Sony electronics tend to be more expensive than other vendors).

TrueWiiMaster wrote:

Laptops and ipads are in a different class than the NGP because they are for more than entertainment. Both can be used for work or entertainment. The NGP is specifically for entertainment. There's a big difference when discussing portability of something you HAVE to take with you and something you WANT to take with you. You might not mind carrying a large bag for you computer if it means you get some work done or finish your homework on time. In my opinion a portable solely for entertainment purposes should be able to fit easily and safely into a pocket or purse.

The NGP, based on the dimensions quoted, fits easily within a bag.

The NGP is pretty big to fit into a pocket, and could really stretch a small purse. On top of size, there is also a safety problem. Unlike the DS line of products, the PSP and NGP cannot close up and safely slide anywhere. It wouldn't be ridiculous to imagine the screen getting scratched or the buttons getting caught. I never personally had a PSP, so I cannot vouch for this kind of durability. Did anyone here carry their PSP (without a case) in their pockets/purses?

I do have a PSPGo and I can vouch for it. Assuming you are careful and put it in a case, then it won't scratch.

Slapshot

I have to agree with Waltz, NGP and the term "Affordable" in Sony realm of speaking isn't to the average gamer. Sony form of affordable is their target audience that have have made very clear is mainly Male- Mid to Late 20s - With a high disposable income. This is exactly who NGP will be targeted at!

I could drop $1000 on NGP myself, I'm not, but I could. I will happily drop $350-$400 on it, though.

I think the reason Sony kept the high retail price on PS3 at launch and the few years afterwards, is because of the games. The cell processor was still new, and developers are just now really cracking down on how to effectively utilize it correctly and efficiently and there was no reason for them to drop the price of the system. Even at a $300 price tag it probably wouldn't have went screaming off the selves because of the lack of great games. Today though, well you guys know how it fares in the market, it's quickly becoming the top system of choice on the market, until the next big thing comes and stomps it in the dust.

NGP = Incredible horsepower pushing awesome graphics and handheld home console type games.
3DS = Beautiful 3D graphics with loads of great JRPGs, Nintendo First Party Greatness and who know what types of new gameplay gimmicks we will get to try out.

Two very different systems, with two totally different styles of games available. 3DS gamers will not be disappointed in the line-up of upcoming game for 3DS. There are some really awesome titles in the works!

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

Eel

The NGP won't change my mind about getting a 3DS.
I may get a NGP later like i did with the original PSP, when a good number of games that i want reaches the handheld.

I don't really see the reason to make a big deal about things like this.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

miketh2005

MysticX wrote:

I think the next handheld generation's biggest issue will be battery life, 3DS has... sub-optimal battery life, and 2 quad-cores in a casing can't be easy on the ol' battery either, how "portable" is it to only be able to play in 3 hour bursts? (And however long the NGP will last)

But in the end it comes down to the games, if they're the same stuff we can play at home on regular consoles, why bother paying lots of money for what still will be watered-down ports of console games? (Inbetween not changing gameplay at all and causing who-knows-what ailments, 3D doesn't impress me just yet)

In this day in age battery life doesn't really matter as much. There are car chargers for the car, and ofc you can keep it charged at home. Bring it to school, your not going to use it but on ride to school, lunchbreak, maybe some freetime / recess if you have that, and ride home. If it's half hour for each, that's only 2 hours. Tac on another hour for fun, that is at MOST 3 hours your going to use it at school. At work you'll probably have an outlet there, too. Heck, even if your stranded in the middle of the forest with no way back home, they have outlets that are fueled by solar and wood, lol. I can't think of much situations you'll need alot of battery life. I can think of: If your at an all day boring convention where your sitting down and there are no outlets. Solitary Confinement. Kidnapped in an old guys wine cellar. Even in those situations, you can just bring extra batteries LOL. Seriously, battery life doesn't matter AT ALL. Except to save time changing your batteries or plugging it in.

I'd love to be corrected here, though. Can't think of any situation battery life is a problem...

Pre-Order Your 3DS Now For FREE: http://gifts.freebiejeebies.co.uk/332012
(Referral Link) It WORKS, I just received a PS3 from them. Yes, it's the usual "complete an offer" stuff, but its only ONE offer.

miketh2005

Can't bash Sony for the innovative touchpad on the back, though, right? Why didn't Nintendo think of that? Also, why wasn't there a dual analog stick in the 3DS. I'm beginning to think Nintendo isn't as innovative as they seem just because they were first releasing a product does not mean they had the idea first.

(Referral Link) It WORKS, I just received a PS3 from them. Yes, it's the usual "complete an offer" stuff, but its only ONE offer.

HolyMackerel

miketh2005 wrote:

Can't bash Sony for the innovative touchpad on the back, though, right? Why didn't Nintendo think of that? Also, why wasn't there a dual analog stick in the 3DS. I'm beginning to think Nintendo isn't as innovative as they seem just because they were first releasing a product does not mean they had the idea first.

Because there was never the need for a reverse touch panel or dual analogs on a Nintendo portable. Does Nintendo need to match Sony feature-for-feature in order to be "innovative"? Last time I checked, they were "not the kind of company that thinks about how [they] oppose other company's products".

HolyMackerel

miketh2005

HolyMackerel wrote:

miketh2005 wrote:

Because there was never the need for a reverse touch panel or dual analogs on a Nintendo portable. Does Nintendo need to match Sony feature-for-feature in order to be "innovative"? Last time I checked, they were "not the kind of company that thinks about how [they] oppose other company's products".

What the freak? I said why didn't Nintendo think of that, not why doesn't Nintendo COPY that... Obviously these details weren't available even a month ago, much less before 3DS was announced at E3 last year.

EDIT: What was I thinking, neither of those things would work since it has a touch screen, rofl I'm so stupid, wasn't thinking. Wow, congrats on Sony for creating something to compete with Ninty's touchscreen, though!

Edited on by miketh2005

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.