Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 321 to 340 of 453

TrueWiiMaster

@waltzelf-
Comparing portable systems to cars is a little ridiculous. There has almost always been a market for the super-expensive cars like lamborghinis, but there has not always been a market (at least not a good market; look at the neogeo) for super-expensive video games. Besides, the price difference you mentioned was 50x, not 2 to 4x.

The NGP WILL be sold to children. When it comes to kids, and even to many young adults (not just teenagers but all the way up to around 24), price plays only a small role. Many people in that market don't have the money to spend even on a DSi. That said, they are able to indulge themselves because their parents pay for the stuff, or pay for other things, therefore freeing up the kids' income. Just because a 12 year old doesn't get a $50 allowance every week doesn't mean he won't end up with an expensive toy like the NGP. That's why the marketing of so many of these companies is so focused on this age group. Besides, let's face it, most people over 30 (and there certainly are exceptions) aren't that interested in buying an over-priced gadget just to play games while sitting in the waiting room. And many of those who do show such interest are not Sony's favorite group because they don't go and spend tons on games like a kid with his/her parents' money. I'm not saying people over 30 can't be hardcore gamers. After all, they were the original pioneers of gaming; the most hardcore ever! But the percentage of those original gamers who are still playing, and more importantly buying, is probably pretty small. And then, out of THAT percentage, how many would choose the NGP over the 3DS, made by Nintendo, who probably made many of their old favorites and are still making them today? The gamers who played NGP-like games back in the day were mostly computer gamers, and as such would probably still prefer to play on their computers if given the choice. I'd say the majority of NGP sales will, like the PSP sales before it, be to people between 12 and 25, most of which will be to kids.

P.S.- I should probably mention I consider anyone under 18 a kid...and even 18-25 year olds sometimes (though I myself am under 25).

I am the TrueWiiMaster! Those who call the Wii casual BEWARE!

Nintendo Network ID: WiiMaster

Arcanum

ROUND 1 DS vs. PSP::: ROUND 2 ::: wii vs PS3::: ROUND 3::: 3DS vs NGP
::::::::::::::::Winner:DS::::::::::::::::::::::: Winner:WII:::::::::::::::::::::: Winner:? cough 3DS cough

well thats the way i see it, but it could go either way.
I remember the PSP being "way better then the DS".
I remember the PS3 being "way better then the Wii".
So nothing really has changed.

Edited on by Arcanum

Currently playing:
3DS: KI: Uprising
Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles
"Heh, heh... Thanks... You're nice. Umm... Can I ask... a question? Your friends... What kind of... people are they? I wonder... Do these people... think of you...as a friend?"

noblo601

@zez - $1000aud was the pricein AUstralia, should have clarified.

www.gamerswithgfs.com - Find us on facebook too!

Slapshot

@brooks... I'm not delusional Lol, I was making the point that even at the $699 price, it still sold out and pushed over a million units in less than a month, and no I wasn't one of them buying day one, but I was for the Wii. Sony stated from the get-go that they knew that the PS3 wouldn't sell well right off the bat as nobody knew how to develop games for the system, and it would be a slow process. That said though, with the economy dropping out and the super innovative and cheap Wii hitting the market, it definitely slowed down the PS3 big time, and there is no denying that.

@TruWiiMaster....Sony is dead-on with their target demographic. There are loads of guys my age, I'm pushing 30 myself, that will spend lots of money on high powered gaming devices. I know less guys my age and older who don't have a PS3/360 than do, and play games on a regular basis. Guys my age, especially the Not Core Gamers, sit and rant and rave about graphics, they don't give a crap about innovation and creativity in games. They want to shoot, race and play stuff in the best HD graphics they can find. They will spend whatever to get it too.

I have one other thing for you guys to think about concerning 3DS. It's $249 for a handheld in the US, and nearly $350 overseas in Europe. This itself is a very expensive portable gaming system itself. It will, just like PS3 did, blow out at first, but will it have a slow start until it receives a price drop. How many people are willing to but 1/4 grand in their young children's hands? Nintendo must know this as well, because the games line-up is currently around 80 games, and basically every game is geared at the core gamers, not children, and yes Nintendogs + Cats is played by teenage to older gamers as well Lol. It's just food for though and I'm curious to see what you guys think.

Edited on by Slapshot

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

TrueWiiMaster

@slapshot-
Like I said, there ARE people out there over 30 who still buy games (it's not too unusual), but generally that number is dwarfed by the number of people under 20. That's all I was saying. It is to be expected that toys (which basically all games are meant to be) sell better to kids, after all (not that there's anything wrong with an adult playing with a toy...).

Also, even though they own PS3's, how many of these other about 30 year old people buy enough games for Sony to really profit? Kids (again, people 0-24) tend to buy TONS of games as they do not yet have many serious expenses, and have parents willing to buy them expensive stuff. Particularly at launch, Sony wasn't looking for people to buy the system and then only 1 or 2 games. That would probably only cover the loss they took at the beginning. In order to make a real profit off of those original PS3's they needed people to fill up a shelf with new games.

I am the TrueWiiMaster! Those who call the Wii casual BEWARE!

Nintendo Network ID: WiiMaster

brooks83

@Slapshot82 - You may be right about 3DS sales dropping off after launch, although $249 was the magic number for the Wii. Really at this point it's all just a guessing game. For all we know the NGP could launch at $499 and outsell the 3DS 5 to 1 (but I think that is highly unlikely). Simply going by history though, the consoles that are priced higher than $299 don't sell as well, especially if they have cheaper competitors.

brooks83

Bankai

To everyone other than Slapshot - given the alternative is to directly compete with Nintendo, I think Sony is smarter to produce a premium product, accept it won't sell as well as the 3DS, and enjoy the profits it does generate.

Sony is a remarkably intelligent business, that has consistently preformed better than virtually every other Japanese electronics vendor. For those questioning the NGP, remember this - Sony's success has come despite every single product category it supports being more expensive than it's competition.

Slapshot

@TruMasterWii.... Don't get me wrong when I said any of that. A lower price point is going to sell more, especially with the flood of casual gamers today. Why SEGA isn't jumping back into the console market right now I have no idea.

I'm not really sure is Sony makes money on All games sold on the system, or just First Party. I would think they would make some profit on Everything sold on the system, including accessories.

Just to give you guys some numbers concerning PS3, and I reason this because the NGP is looking (to some) to be on track to follow the same path that the PS3 did.

• PS3 is not only 2.1 million consoles short of the Xbox 360 install base with their being 47.9 million consoles sold wordwide.
    57.6 million games were sold for the PS3, just in Q3 of 2010. Q4 is of course the highest so you can prob estimate those numbers yearly to be around -
    200-300 million yearly (that is my estimate).
    EEDAR is expecting the WiFi Model of NGP to be sold in the US at a price of $299-$349, and state that it will not exceed $399.
    EEDAR expect the 3g to be used mainly for Social Interactions mainly in Europe and Asia, while the rest of the world is more acquainted with WiFi for online gaming.
    EEDAR expects NGP games will be priced at $40-$50USD
    EEDAR states that the success of NGP will be hinged on it Third Party support and Competive Pricing.
    EEDAR expects the NGP sales to surpass the sales of PSP

Sony is a Third Party heaven for gamers, and I can honestly say this because I am a Third Party fanatic and a niche gamer myself. It's also the reason I'm a die-hard DS fanatic as well.

What if Sony does come out competing from the starting line with a price of $299? A great deal of the teen age market will be drawn towards the higher powered system if, and parents are more likely to spend an extra $50 on a portable compared to an extra $100-$200.

I want to point out that I'm not being contradictive here. I enjoy this type of conversation, and I hold no loyalty to any one game system. I'm a gamer and the end result of great games is what matters, and every system usually has it stash of great titles!

Edited on by Slapshot

Old_School

With no specs(or now with specs) released on the NGP, I am going with the NGP. I am very skeptical about the 3DS. Not due to the hardware but the gaming library. Large games to note, Ocarina of time, the fourth release of the same game(That is the first on N64, a release on GameCube as a bonus for pre-ordering The Wind Waker, the third is on the Virtual Console) and the face it is in 3D with new visuals does not change that fact, it is still Ocarina of Time. The only game that interested me was Animal Crossing but that seems to be shaping up to be yet another version of Wild World with different options and 3D does not interest me. There is Nintendogs (plus cats) that really is not a title I would ever want. Pilot Wings Resort that has closely the same gameplay as Wii Sports Resort. There is Starfox 64, oh yeah, in 3D and new visuals. A title called Steel Diver and a Paper Mario title and not to mention yet another version of Mario Kart that does not vary much from the previous. Yes, the 3D may be neat, but Nintendo is bringing old games and a couple new(er) not new games that are polished to look new. At least with the 3rd parties there is a little new, unlike the second time we are seeing Snake Eater.
And in a general discussion about software, take a look at the horrible offerings of digital software. Reggie even had to defend the outrageous prices attached. I spent 3.99USD and picked up 2 minis on PSP that blow away any DSiWare title both visually and technically.
Hardware, the 3DS barely surpasses the PSP1000+ but does not match the PSPgo. It is the same thing that Nintendo does with every system. The guise of "affordability" is used and the specs are horribly low. You can see that in the original DS and all of the offspring. .Right now handhelds are looking great(Look at the current PSP, iPad and others) yet the only boon to the 3DS besides (3D?!) is that it is going to look better than the Wii. Well, some current PSP games look better than the Wii. Play Phantasy Star Portable 2 yet? On top of the fact some PSP games have more content and are drastically deeper in gameplay and store than most Wii games.
To me, Nintendo has gone too far into "casual" in a word. They say innovate, well "yeah", you just made the first "glasses free" 3D handheld, but if the 3DS goes the same way as the DS, the games will turn me off and that is why i am hesitant and will not buy a 3D.
Sony on the other hand seems to "up the ante" with each new system. I have seen how they took the specs and cranked them up and how the software has looked better and better and the game play has been amazing. I have never found any Wii or DS game to come close the game play I see with Mass Effect(series) or The Elder Scrolls(series). And yes, they are on PC and Xbox as well, but they would never be able to get ported to Wii or DS.
At any rate, NGP for me, if I own a 3DS it was a gift(flippin' expensive one at that) or I was bored and wanted to waste money.

Sorry Nintendo, I supported you from the beginning but the games are horrible both in visual appeal and game play. I just cannot do it anymore.

Nintendo Life, been fun chattin with all of you but my time on this site is over. I hardly check any online sites any more. You are all a great bunch of people and it has been really fun.

Best of luck!

Vegeta: Just...just...transform damn you...
Bulma: We are going to have a penthouse sweet...and he'll drive a corvet...and we will make love every single...
Zarbon: (transforms)
Bulma: KILL IT WITH FIRE!

CanisWolfred

I think it's safe to say the NGP won't sell as well as the 3DS, and Sony Knows that. I think it's also safe to say the NGP isn't actually competing with the 3DS, just as the PS3 isn't competing with the Wii. It's a premium product - a tech-nerds/"cool kid's" toy. What's still questionable is whether or not the NGP has changed any minds about getting a 3DS, though I think it appears to have done so. Personally both of them are too expensive, so I'll be getting both once their prices drop.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LEGEND_MARIOID

The NGP is a seperate concept of a console to the 3DS. Similar can be said for the IoS. Good, I say.

I am over 30, and I am over 30

Edited on by LEGEND_MARIOID

"They say video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock n' roll."

Pogocoop

This might have been good if sony came up with at least 1 new idea. :/

3DS FC: 0774-4269-5253Name:Tony

Nintendo network ID : Pogocoop

Obsesive Vocaloid fan.

Bankai

pogocoop wrote:

I don't know of any other handheld that approaches the power of the NGP.. do you? No, didn't think so. So there's that one new idea you wanted (there's actually a lot of new ideas with the NGP, but I figured I'd state the obvious first).

Slapshot

I really don't get the "Sony has no new ideas" statements.

Maybe you guys don't remember Sony releasing Dual Analog Controllers which changed the way we play games today, and not to mention right afterwards bringing Rumble to the controller as well. Playing Metal Gear Solid with Dual Analog support and feeling the DARPA Chiefs heart as he died from a massive heart attack was a jaw dropping, hear pounding (well not for him really) experience that I will never forget.

Ape Escape, the first game to fully utilize Dual Analog gameplay creating a completely new way to play a platform game.

Eyetoy, playing controller-less games with your body on a home console.

I beg to differ that Sony hasn't created new ideas in the gaming market, even Nintendo went to Dual Analog controls because of Sony with the Gamecube.

Bankai

slapshot82 wrote:

I really don't get the "Sony has no new ideas" statements.

Maybe you guys don't remember Sony releasing Dual Analog Controllers which changed the way we play games today, and not to mention right afterwards bringing Rumble to the controller as well. Playing Metal Gear Solid with Dual Analog support and feeling the DARPA Chiefs heart as he died from a massive heart attack was a jaw dropping, hear pounding (well not for him really) experience that I will never forget.

Ape Escape, the first game to fully utilize Dual Analog gameplay creating a completely new way to play a platform game.

Eyetoy, playing controller-less games with your body on a home console.

I beg to differ that Sony hasn't created new ideas in the gaming market, even Nintendo went to Dual Analog controls because of Sony with the Gamecube.

It's just a flag that Nintendo purists like to march under that in their mind proves "their" company is superior.

It's also a statement that's mired in mistruths - such as that Nintendo is a wonderfully innovative company (when actually all it really does is bring other vendor's innovations into games), or that Sony is not an innovative company (that's ignoring how Sony managed to ram that much power + OLED screen into the NGP).

It's not a matter of one being better than the other. All these companies are great, and do a great job of differentiating themselves by being original in their own way. Just for different reasons to different people. No reason to discredit any of them.

Edited on by Bankai

Bankai

Odnetnin wrote:

Imho, Sony, while crafting the ultimate gaming portable, is not doing anything technically new for gaming period. The 3DS sports the first glasses-3D gaming experience out there, which is what I would call innovative.

I don't see how you can say something that hasn't been done before (OLED screen, dual analogue sticks, near PS3 power, 3G in a handheld gaming console) in a handheld console isn't somewthing new. By very definition it's an entirely new console.

As I said way back, it's not as in-your-face as Nintendo, but the subtle innovations on the NGP are just that, innovations.

Edited on by Bankai

Hime-Chan

I don't think its worth the money.

Hime-Chan

bboy2970

WaltzElf wrote:

pogocoop wrote:

I don't know of any other handheld that approaches the power of the NGP.. do you? No, didn't think so. So there's that one new idea you wanted (there's actually a lot of new ideas with the NGP, but I figured I'd state the obvious first).

Oh come on. More power isn't really an "idea." Obviously it was gonna be powerful, it was inevitable. The only really really new thing I can see on this machine is the rear touch pad which I don't think is gonna see very much use by devs.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.