Forums

Topic: 3DS Ocarina of Time Remake!

Posts 121 to 140 of 733

Chrono_Cross

Mickeymac wrote:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

I might be in the minority here but... OoT isn`t as great as everyone says it is. I mean theres nothing really epic about it and to be honest I can name atleast games that are better than it. (Just thought I`d throw my 2 cents in there.)

I agree, yet disagree. I felt Ocarina of Time was excellent considering the limits of the technology that it had to work with and how well it excecuted its mechanics despite few precedents. Sure, it's been outclassed by now and I wouldn't call it the best game ever, but outside of that, calling it anything but great seems a bit silly to me. OoT was as "Epic" as it got on the N64, at least IMO, and it's still a very well-made game. I dunno about you, but That's what I call a great game.

For it's limitations, yes, but so did Majora`s Mask, Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007, etc. Yet OoT gets the spotlight for this "achievement." I give more credit to Treasure for Sin and Punishment than Nintendo with OoT.

And maybe as epic as it got on the N64 but no means on the PSX. Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, FF7, FF8, Crash Bandicoot, and Spryo the Dragon are a few epic games that IMO outweigh OoT anyday.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

SkullMan

I wonder why we can't get an original Zelda for the 3DS...

Send me the best you've got. Send me your strongest machines. The fight my brother fought, here, now, will end with me.

grenworthshero

Chrono+Cross wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

I might be in the minority here but... OoT isn`t as great as everyone says it is. I mean theres nothing really epic about it and to be honest I can name atleast games that are better than it. (Just thought I`d throw my 2 cents in there.)

I agree, yet disagree. I felt Ocarina of Time was excellent considering the limits of the technology that it had to work with and how well it excecuted its mechanics despite few precedents. Sure, it's been outclassed by now and I wouldn't call it the best game ever, but outside of that, calling it anything but great seems a bit silly to me. OoT was as "Epic" as it got on the N64, at least IMO, and it's still a very well-made game. I dunno about you, but That's what I call a great game.

For it's limitations, yes, but so did Majora`s Mask, Super Mario 64, GoldenEye 007, etc. Yet OoT gets the spotlight for this "achievement." I give more credit to Treasure for Sin and Punishment than Nintendo with OoT.

And maybe as epic as it got on the N64 but no means on the PSX. Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, FF7, FF8, Crash Bandicoot, and Spryo the Dragon are a few epic games that IMO outweigh OoT anyday.

I think you all are failing to realize that Ocarina basically invented video games as we know them today, along with Mario 64. Its implementation of the Z-targeting system alone makes it one of the most influential games ever. You may not say it's epic today, because of how much bigger games have gotten, but for its time, it blew everything out of the water. Even most games that came after it on the N64 pale in comparison. Trying to compare it to games of today is like trying to compare a wireless telephone to a Droid. Even so, there have been very few games since then that have had such a perfect combination of story, music, action, great controls, and graphics. Virtually every 3D adventure game of today still follows its example. If you give it a weighted score, in accordance to what it offered at the time of its release, it really is one of the best games ever made. Put up against the games of today, I'm not so sure it would do as well, but it would still be one of the better games out there.

@Chrono
don't understand how you can give more credit to Sin and Punishment than Ocarina, when S&P really didn't affect much. It was a great example of what could be done on the 64, but there have been games like it before, although Sin and Punishment does go about things in a very unique way. Sin and Punishment didn't cause every game that came after it to study its mechanics and learn from its contributions.

Edited on by grenworthshero

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

Aviator

Linkstrikesback wrote:

If windwaker gets remade and they haven't removed the completely god awful sailing which easily makes it the worst 3d console zelda game to date, lol@people buying it

Wind Waker is my fave Zelda.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Chrono_Cross

grenworthshero wrote:

I think you all are failing to realize that Ocarina basically invented video games as we know them today, along with Mario 64. Its implementation of the Z-targeting system alone makes it one of the most influential games ever. You may not say it's epic today, because of how much bigger games have gotten, but for its time, it blew everything out of the water. Even most games that came after it on the N64 pale in comparison. Trying to compare it to games of today is like trying to compare a wireless telephone to a Droid. Even so, there have been very few games since then that have had such a perfect combination of story, music, action, great controls, and graphics. Virtually every 3D adventure game of today still follows its example. If you give it a weighted score, in accordance to what it offered at the time of its release, it really is one of the best games ever made. Put up against the games of today, I'm not so sure it would do as well, but it would still be one of the better games out there.

@Chrono
don't understand how you can give more credit to Sin and Punishment than Ocarina, when S&P really didn't affect much. It was a great example of what could be done on the 64, but there have been games like it before, although Sin and Punishment does go about things in a very unique way. Sin and Punishment didn't cause every game that came after it to study its mechanics and learn from its contributions.

I give it credit for what it's done, sure, but you have to realize that after all these years it's not as great as everyone says it is. Other than the Z targeting system what did this game do for the gaming world? Nothing. LoZ Wind Waker, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime are a few games that have done everything you said above (With the graphics, story, controls, etc.), and IMO done it better. Hell I think Twilight Princess did a better job on the storyline than OoT did. I give Treasure their cult classic Sin and Punishment more credit than OoT because of the challenge such a developer had to go through to make that game.

and not to burst your bubble but not every game that came after OoT followed their contributions. But we'll all see how reviews and sales go for the 3DS remake now won't we?

Just for you.

CanisWolfred

BellGoRiiing wrote:

Yeah, the sailing was fun for me too, the only real issue I had with the game is towards the end where have to go hunt down those gold things, lol. (yes I know its Triforce pieces...>_>)

I loved sailing, and I loved finding the TriForce. There's very little I didn't love about Windwaker aside from the Stealth section at the beginning and a few of the later dungeons.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Chrono+Cross wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

That I can agree with. In fact, I was just about to bring up the idea that Ocarina of Time even pales in comparison to its own predecessor, A Link To The Past in terms of its sense of scale and richness of its world, and that's just on the SNES. The PSX has a plethora of games that easily outclass OoT in terms of storytelling and scale. Still, that doesn't always make a game great. At least that's what I think.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

I agree. Unlike most Zelda games ALttP is one of my favorite SNES games of all time and why? Because that's a showcase game pushing to the system to all new standards and even the likes of Chrono Trigger couldn't compete with. Amazing graphics, great controls, excellent dungeons, dialogue was good, and well, I'd love to sit here all day and type all the great things about the game that it does better than most entries in the series but I think your getting the hint. For it's time OoT was epic and pushed a new standard for adventure games but the targeting system was an inevitable thing that Nintendo beat everyone to the punch with. Just like shoulder buttons and online multiplayer we all in some way saw it coming and it was very helpful. But just like most great games of the 90's, it has lost some of it's luster. And if you really beg to differ, the when the 3DS remake comes out and it does amazing review wise, then I'll shut up.

Oh another thing I'd LOVE to point out with Nintendo and their beloved franchise is that every open world all the way back to the NES original has been completely empty! It always through me off. No roaring water falls, bugs, wisping wind, moving grass, tree branches blowing in the wind, and birds chirping. Never, not even Twilight Princess which is a prime example of this complaint.

Just for you.

Z_Bone

Chrono Cross wrote:

I agree. Unlike most Zelda games ALttP is one of my favorite SNES games of all time and why? Because that's a showcase game pushing to the system to all new standards and even the likes of Chrono Trigger couldn't compete with. Amazing graphics, great controls, excellent dungeons, dialogue was good, and well, I'd love to sit here all day and type all the great things about the game that it does better than most entries in the series but I think your getting the hint. For it's time OoT was epic and pushed a new standard for adventure games but the targeting system was an inevitable thing that Nintendo beat everyone to the punch with. Just like shoulder buttons and online multiplayer we all in some way saw it coming and it was very helpful. But just like most great games of the 90's, it has lost some of it's luster. And if you really beg to differ, the when the 3DS remake comes out and it does amazing review wise, then I'll shut up.

Oh another thing I'd LOVE to point out with Nintendo and their beloved franchise is that every open world all the way back to the NES original has been completely empty! It always through me off. No roaring water falls, bugs, wisping wind, moving grass, tree branches blowing in the wind, and birds chirping. Never, not even Twilight Princess which is a prime example of this complaint.

A lot of games were amazing in there time but don't hold up as well today. With that said, Nintendo's games hold up better than almost any other games. This includes Ocarina of Time. Part of being revolutionary is that it was before it's time. And it's charm will never disappear.

Go back and play the original Goldeneye on the other hand and you'll see that it's unintentionally hilarious to play today.

Do the Mario!

CanisWolfred

Z.Bone wrote:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

A lot of games were amazing in there time but don't hold up as well today. With that said, Nintendo's games hold up better than almost any other games. This includes Ocarina of Time. Part of being revolutionary is that it was before it's time. And it's charm will never disappear.

Go back and play the original Goldeneye on the other hand and you'll see that it's unintentionally hilarious to play today.

I'm inclined to disagree. I loved Ocarina of Time, but after a recent playthrough, I've forgotten what I liked about it. Sure, it was great for it's time, and Gameplaywise it has still held up, but I think that unless you were there, the charm just hasn't held up enough to shine through.

Goldeneye, on the otherhand, is still as charming as it always was, despite the gameplay having held up rather poorly. Same with Super Mario 64, and I've little love or nostalgia for either game.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Chrono_Cross

A lot of games were amazing in there time but don't hold up as well today.
Name a few I'd love to know them.

With that said, Nintendo's games hold up better than almost any other games. This includes Ocarina of Time.
Opinion.

Part of being revolutionary is that it was before it's time. And it's charm will never disappear.
Still opinion. As for me it does not.

After the Wii "re-imagination" I think it's even better.

Just for you.

Z_Bone

Chrono+Cross wrote:

With that said, Nintendo's games hold up better than almost any other games. This includes Ocarina of Time.
Opinion.

Part of being revolutionary is that it was before it's time. And it's charm will never disappear.

Are you serious? You don't even make any sense.
Point one: I already did, Goldeneye. And most NES games. And most 64 games. How is this point even up for debate?
Point two: Since when am I not entitled to my own opinion? Geez.
Point three: I don't know if you are agreeing or disagreeing on this point.
Point four: I never said anything about the Wii reimagining. I love GE on Wii. I was talking about the original GE, which I couldn't stop laughing when I played it a few weeks ago. Hilarious. It's fun, just in a whole different way than it used to be.

And LOL at the irony in your signature.

Edited on by Z_Bone

Do the Mario!

Chrono_Cross

z wrote:

Chrono+Cross wrote:

Opinion.

Point one: I already did, Goldeneye. And most NES games. And most 64 games. How is this point even up for debate?
Point four: I never said anything about the Wii reimagining. I love GE on Wii. I was talking about the original GE, which I couldn't stop laughing when I played it a few weeks ago. Hilarious. It's fun, just in a whole different way than it used to be.

Point one: You only named 1 game and having only one game to back your point up isn't nearly enough.
Point two: Never said you weren't. But the reason why I pointed it out was because opinions don't win debates. Facts do.
Point three: OoT is not charming to me.
Point four: Once again I never said you did. I was trying to hint that the Wii GolgenEye was garbage making the original even better than before.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

Z_Bone

Chrono Cross wrote:

[div.userquote]z wrote:

<blockquote class="Bone">

Chrono+Cross wrote:

Opinion.

Point one: You only named 1 game and having only one game to back your point up isn't nearly enough.
Point two: Never said you weren't. But the reason why I pointed it out was because opinions don't win debates. Facts do.
Point three: OoT is not charming to me.
Point four: Once again I never said you did. I was trying to hint that the Wii GolgenEye was garbage making the original even better than before.

[/quote]
I'm sorry but some people just aren't worth debating with, especially on such trivial points as this.
I used opinions because I never knew I was in a debate in the first place. What debate was I in?

You wanted more games that were amazing in their time but don't hold up as well today? I could literally be here for hours, but here's a few:

Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Duck Hunt, Pong, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Tecmo Bowl, Mega Man, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong 64, Castlevania, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mario Bros., Mega Man Legends, Contra, Centipede, Pac Man, Star Fox 64, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Turok, Excitebike 64, 1080 Snowboarding, etc., etc., etc.

Here's what I want you to do, name some games that DO hold up today just as well as they did when they were first released. Good luck.

Do the Mario!

Chrono_Cross

This is a discussion that turned into a debate. Me and Mickeymac were innocently covering some ground with what we found good and bad about OoT. By the way you quoted me.

Here's what I want you to do, name some games that DO hold up today just as well as they did when they were first released. Good luck.

Cracks knuckles
Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Metroid, Legend of Zelda ALttP, Metal Gear Solid, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7,8,9, TMNT IV, Super Mario World, Kirby Super Star, Kirby 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario 64, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and Knuckles, Mega Man X, Contra 3 Alien Wars, Diablo 2, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Earthbound, F-Zero X, F-Zero, Zelda Majora's Mask, Blaster Master, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario RPG.

And did you really say Pong? Don't get desperate on me now.
(Oh and btw again, you forgot Ocarina of Time in your list. Just saying.)

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.

CanisWolfred

Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, Duck Hunt, Pong, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda, Tecmo Bowl, Mega Man, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong 64, Castlevania, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Mario Bros., Mega Man Legends, Contra, Centipede, Pac Man, Star Fox 64, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Turok, Excitebike 64, 1080 Snowboarding, etc., etc., etc.

Those games are still great, my good sir. Please try again.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Lordy

Mickeymac wrote:

I'm inclined to disagree. I loved Ocarina of Time, but after a recent playthrough, I've forgotten what I liked about it. Sure, it was great for it's time, and Gameplaywise it has still held up, but I think that unless you were there, the charm just hasn't held up enough to shine through.

The same thing happened to me with OOT recently... when it came out, I thought it was the most amazing game I had ever played, but now I just don't get the same emotional level of enjoyment out of it.

@Z.Bone- I played about half of those games you just mentioned for the first time about a year ago (I wasn't around when they came out) and I was thoroughly impressed (especially with the old Castlevania games)

Edited on by Lordy

Lordy

CanisWolfred

Lordy wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

The same thing happened to me with OOT recently... when it came out, I thought it was the most amazing game I had ever played, but now I just don't get the same emotional level of enjoyment out of it.

@Z.Bone- I played about half of those games you just mentioned for the first time about a year ago (I wasn't around when they came out) and I was thoroughly impressed (especially with the old Castlevania games)

I know what you mean, and that doesn't happen to me very often with old games.

And I agree, I'm not talking out of nostalgia here, those games he listed are all still very impressive and fun games. The only ones I think I could agree on are Mario Bros. and Centipede, and I question if they were ever good in the first place.

Now if he wants poorly aged games, he should mention Altered Beast, Crash Bandicoot, and Tomb Raider.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Z_Bone

Chrono Cross wrote:

This is a discussion that turned into a debate. Me and Mickeymac were innocently covering some ground with what we found good and bad about OoT. By the way you quoted me.

Cracks knuckles
Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, Metroid, Legend of Zelda ALttP, Metal Gear Solid, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 7,8,9, TMNT IV, Super Mario World, Kirby Super Star, Kirby 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario 64, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and Knuckles, Mega Man X, Contra 3 Alien Wars, Diablo 2, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Earthbound, F-Zero X, F-Zero, Zelda Majora's Mask, Blaster Master, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Super Mario RPG.

And did you really say Pong? Don't get desperate on me now.
(Oh and btw again, you forgot Ocarina of Time in your list. Just saying.)

Either you really don't understand what I'm saying or I just have much higher standards than you (case in point spyro). I said games that hold up just as well as when they were released. I think you are looking at it subjectively while I am taking a more objective approach. My original point was that no games hold up just as well as when they were released, Ocarina included. But I think it holds up pretty well. How could a game be just as amazing today as it was 25 years ago. Standards change. Which is why we take time into consideration. How can Metroid have the same impact when everyone knows the big reveal at the ending. Gameplay that was acceptable in the past now feels dated or even broken. If a NES game in all its glory released today on a modern system it would not have anywhere near the impact it would have 25 years ago. Even the games that I feel hold up better than any other games (super mario games, super metroid) are a smidgen less than they once were. That's the way I'm looking at this admittedly ridiculous argument.

And give me some credit for typing this whole post on the Wii. That took like 45 minutes.

Do the Mario!

CanisWolfred

Z.Bone wrote:

If a NES game in all its glory released today on a modern system it would not have anywhere near the impact it would have 25 years ago..

Mega Man 9 says hi.

But you're right standards do change, and everyone's tastes are different. Still, my standards are pretty low: I love a game for what it is, just for being a well-made game. Yet I still can't enjoy OoT anymore. Just some food for thought.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.