Forums

Topic: It worked; well done Nintendo. 5000% unit sales hike in Japan

Posts 1 to 20 of 74

Bankai

"According to Famitsu, the 3DS sales on its home turf has jumped 5000 per cent for the week August 8-14 in response to a price slash of roughly $80.

207,000 more consoles entered circulation; a figure that tops the number of handhelds sold during the week following launch earlier this year. Impressive, since Nintendo only managed 700,000 units worldwide in the previous three months.

Looks like the 3DS is finally off and flying after the stuttering start. Nintendo must be pleased with this. "

LzWinky

Untitled

Can't wait to see sales overseas

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bankai

lz20XX wrote:

Untitled

Can't wait to see sales overseas

Yep, I reckon Nintendo's in for a good couple of months now.

So it's a really critical time for it. Nintendo has to use this momentum to start wooing third parties, beef up the eShop offering, and get people engaged with the console all over again.

Can they do it? Quite possibly. I think the launch was very humbling to Nintendo, and this is a company that can learn from its mistakes.

JustAnotherUser

This is a relief, so glad that sales have jumped by 5000%.
Maybe this might spark 3rd party interest.
Well done Nintendo

JustAnotherUser

Hokori

and there was doubt? LOL
Ninty will sell no matter how things look

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Mabbit

Do you guys think they lose money on each sale for the 3DS now? If so, then really what's the point? ._.
But enough pessimism! That's outstanding numbers, right there. Hope it sells in the states

Heisenberg says "relax!"
The user formerly known as briunj04
PSN=mabbit04/Summoner name(LoL)=briunj04

Bankai

briunj04 wrote:

Do you guys think they lose money on each sale for the 3DS now? If so, then really what's the point? ._.

Loss leading. It's a good thing. Nintendo should have done it from day 1.

But enough pessimism! That's outstanding numbers, right there. Hope it sells in the states

I think it will. At least for the next couple of weeks there will be pretty robust sales.

KaiserGX

The point is they will make more then enough by the GAMEs they are selling. In your lifetime how many games you've think you've bought? Multiply that by the number of people who bought a 3DS. You see the cash roll right in. Not including downloadables.

✉ Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/kaisergx
✉ Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kaisergx
✉ Twitter: https://twitter.com/kaisergx

Switch Friend Code: SW-3625-8025-1230 | My Nintendo: KaiserGX | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

Bankai

KaiserGX wrote:

The point is they will make more then enough by the GAMEs they are selling. In your lifetime how many games you've think you've bought? Multiply that by the number of people who bought a 3DS. You see the cash roll right in. Not including downloadables.

While first party game sales are a big thing for Nintendo, the real value in selling lots of units of hardware is - the more hardware units sold, the more Nintendo can charge third parties for licensing.

Licensing is where the money is for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

kkslider5552000

well if it's for the next couple of months, that's enough time until what will be like 75% of the worthwhile 3DS games so far being released in a month. In theory, that should help.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

19Robb92

Good for them.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

BJQ1972

briunj04 wrote:

It is the Gilette business model. You sell an item at a loss, in the example of Gilette that would be a razor, which then goes on to increase sales of another item sold at a profit, i.e. Razor blades.

Nintendo get a large licensing fee for every game sold, so recoup any loss made on the hardware. Sony and Microsoft both strictly adhere to this model and so make huge losses on hardware sales. I think Microsoft have barely broken even in their console business.

Eventually though the price of manufacturing and components reduces to such an extent over a product life cycle that the consoles themselves become profitable. That is the reason that Sony talk about 10 year life cycles etc - they need a 10 year cycle to turn a profit this generation.

What is unusual about the 3DS cut is it is unusual for Nintendo to actually use this model - their recent consoles have made a profit on the hardware from day one.

BJQ1972

Nintendo Network ID: BJQ1972

JustAnotherUser

I am worried that people will expect Nintendo to sell consoles at a loss from now on...
Nintendo do not have anything else major to fall back on like TV's, Speaker systems or Windows software.

JustAnotherUser

BenAV

Let's hope they can implement this to good affect.
I'm sure the 3DS won't really have too many problems once it has a host of quality games, especially considering the price it's now selling at.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

BenAV

JarvanZheitk wrote:

I am worried that people will expect Nintendo to sell consoles at a loss from now on...
Nintendo do not have anything else major to fall back on like TV's, Speaker systems or Windows software.

Yeah.
It probably gives Nintendo a few things to think about regarding how they're going to handle the Wii U.
I'm sure they'll work out a strategy that's profitable for them in the end though.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Jamouse

See, i told you guys not to worry (<- i was worried)

Jamouse

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.