Forums

Topic: Favorite 3DS RPG? (so far)

Posts 161 to 165 of 165

TeeJay

Probably Fire Emblem first, with Tales of the Abyss at an extremely close second. Like by a hair. That close. It's really good.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Sleepingmudkip

Fire Emblem then it would be ORAS

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

RR529

Dezzy wrote:

Fire Emblem first, by a mile.

Then I'd probably go with Tales of the Abyss slightly ahead of Bravely Default. Although I don't quite think as highly of it as you do. It's one of my favourite Tales games, but I think that series kinda limits itself to being only good rather than great. It is very consistently good though!

Bankai wrote:

Yeah, the 3DS doesn't exactly have many RPGs worth talking about. Tales wasn't released in Australia (or if it was, in such small numbers I've never seen it for sale).

The wikipedia page disagrees. Look harder! It's worth it.

Just to let you know, that comment you quoted was made back in 2012 (@Bankai isn't even here anymore).

Someone revived this thread from the dead a few comments back.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

MetalKingShield

To me, Etrian Odyssey IV is the best by a mile.

Most of the other 3DS RPGs have been very disappointing. We need a Dragon Quest.

MetalKingShield

Ralizah

The selection of RPGs is improving on this system every few months, so I guess a top 5 is appropriate at this point.

1) Shin Megami Tensei IV (tons of replayability with multiple endings; stiff but manageable level of difficulty; awesome and often nightmarish visuals; long, rewarding story; cool mixture of science-fiction, fantasy, and horror elements. Pretty much everything here was perfect for me.)

2) Etrian Odyssey IV (Far and away the best EO game I've ever played, it expands creative,ly and extensively on past titles yet stays true to the core formula of the series; AWESOME music, and is second only to Bravely Default in terms of having the best music of any game on the system.)

3) Bravely Default (My opinion of this game has changed wildly over the months. At first smitten by the FF-like gameplay and brilliant combat system, I soon became frustrated with the frequent and often brutal difficulty spikes in later chapters, combined with the tedium of having to replay the same material over and over again with only slight variations. The ending justifies this somewhat, however. The looping structure of the game has a purpose, and I love how it makes you question some basic things any other JRPG would take for granted. The last boss fight is probably my new all-time favorite, as everything that happens in that last battle is a brilliant culmination of the game's complex themes and plot developments. Everything comes together in the last part of the game, and it is incredible. Unfortunately, due to the flawed nature of the game's second half, I can't place this any higher. As mentioned before, the combat system is BRILLIANT, and the game has one of my all-time favorite OSTs. The music in this game is simply gorgeous.)

4) Fantasy Life (The story in this one is pretty forgettable, along with the characters, and the Nobuo Uematsu soundtrack is somewhat disappointing. None of this matters, though, as this game is probably the most fun I've ever had on the 3DS. The combat is simple but engaging and the dungeon-crawling is quite a bit of fun. Two things really make this game for me, though: the multiplayer and the jobs system. This game has some of the most well-implemented multiplayer elements I've seen on the system, and they serve to make this game a blast to play with others. The jobs, while not entirely original (crafting jobs are VERY similar to one-another, at their core), offer tons of stuff to do. Finally, despite the underwhelming plot, the localization is awesome, and the game has some of the wittiest dialogue I've seen in a game outside of Portal. I have to admit I like this much more as a general game than I do as an RPG, though.)

5) Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (An awesome Sega Saturn game with classic SMT gameplay and a unique cyberpunk setting. I'm so glad this game made the trip overseas, even if it took some years.)

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.